Last updated on June 23rd, 2021
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
This review is your lifeline if your heart is set on a bright orange and grey Flymo mower but there’s just too much choice out there. We focus mainly on the hover mowers that Flymo is world-renowned for (plus one robotic model) and give the pros and cons of each of the top models.
We discuss each model’s best features and recommend who and where the mower is best for. Our Buyer’s Guide identifies the features that set Flymo apart from other lawn mower brands.
Check out our review of the best hover mowers from Flymo, Toro and Cobra including both petrol and electric models
Our Top Flymo Reviews
1. Flymo Glider Compact 330AX Electric Hover Collect Lawn Mower
The Flymo Glider Compact 330AX Electric Hover Collect Lawn Mower floats on a cushion of air across your lawn in any direction you guide it, letting you cut your grass in any pattern. Getting into any and all tricky spots, the 1700W motor and the 10m electric cord produce enough power and reach to easily handle a small to medium size lawn in short order. Though you do have the option of using an outdoor extension power cord if you need to.
The 33cm cutting width is proportional to this size lawn and the 12-32mm cutting height range gives you the choice of short cropped grass to a slightly more relaxed look. You adjust the height from an easily reached central lever so you don’t have to fumble around and destroy your grass cutting rhythm.
Watch the video
The collection box compacts the clippings into its 22L capacity which, while not a large volume, won’t have you running to your compost pile to empty it too often. A quick glance down into the transparent window of the collection box tells you how close it is to being full.
- Electric hover mower produces 1700W of power.
- Cable is 10m long to reach across small to medium gardens.
- Cutting width of 33cm and cutting height range of 12-32mm.
- Height adjustment from a single central lever for easy access.
- Grass collection box is 22L capacity with a transparent window.
- Dual levers, one on each side of the handlebar for operation from either side.
- Handle folds down for compact storage and transport.
- Weighs 9.4kg.
The Flymo Glider Compact 330AX Electric Hover Collect Lawn Mower is our Best Pick of the Flymo lawn mowers we review. It’s lightweight, easy to use and gives a well-looked- after appearance to the average domestic lawn.
2. Flymo Easi Glide 300 Hover Mower
The Flymo Easi Glide 300 Hover Lawn Mower is the next step up from the entry-level Flymo Hovervac (reviewed below) though it looks and feels very similar. Designed with smaller and medium size gardens in mind, it has the same 1300W motor but it powers a slightly larger 30cm metal cutting blade.
The Easi Glide 300 has four cutting height settings from 10mm up to 30mm that gives your lawn a short cut up through a longer shaggier appearance. The power cord is 12m long, which takes you further than the usual 10m cable. You should be alright in medium size gardens without having to use an outdoor extension cord.
The collection box has a 20L capacity which is not the largest one that Flymo produces but you shouldn’t have to visit the compost heap to empty the compressed grass clippings too often. As with all Flymo grass mowers, the dual levers on the handlebars give equal opportunity to left- and right-handed operators.
- Electric hover mower produces 1300W of power for your grass chores.
- Cutting width is 30cm and four cutting heights fall between 10mm and 30mm.
- Power cord is 12m long which is longer than usual.
- Collection box holds 22L of compressed grass cuttings.
- Control levers duplicated on both sides of the handlebar.
- Foldable handlebar for compact and vertical storage, standing or hanging.
- Weighs 8.5kg.
We recommend the Flymo Easi Glide 300 Hover Lawn Mower for those gardeners with mid-size gardens who would like the power of an electric hover mower that’s easy to use and that collects the grass clippings for them.
Compare the best prices from available sellers below
3. Flymo EasiLife 350 Robotic Lawn Mower
Once you’ve staked out the boundary for the Flymo EasiLife 350 Robotic Lawn Mower to operate within and used the Bluetooth smartphone Assist-U interface to set up the schedule, it’s on its own to quietly mow your grass. Whatever, maximum 350m2 shape you’ve set the boundary, this robotic mower covers it in an irregular pattern so it doesn’t miss a bit or leave parts of stripes anywhere.
The cutting width is a fairly narrow 16cm so you don’t notice any pattern in the fully cut grass. The cutting height range of 20mm to 50mm favours those who prefer their grass to remain a little longer. The grass clippings fall back to the lawn but as robotic lawnmowers work by cutting every few days, they only cut a small amount of clipping each time. This help to keep the lawn healthy as it put nutrients back into the lawn but without leaving a mess. The lawn mower programming may override your schedule if it’s raining or there’s frost due, only mowing your lawn in optimal conditions for the grass’ health. Or you can change the programming or see what’s happening with the mower all from your smartphone app which is handy. It just makes setting everything up so much easier than old models.
Watch the video
When the battery is close to being fully discharged, this robotic motor finds its way home to the charging station. (Note, both the battery and the charging station are included in your purchase.) You can set the charging station anywhere around the edge of the lawn along with multiple start points for the mower.
- Battery powered robotic lawn mower uses one 18V Lithium-ion battery.
- Cutting width is 16cm and cutting height range is from 20mm to 50mm.
- Uses an asymmetrical cutting pattern on your lawn.
- Mows 350m2 of grass on one battery charge.
- Handles slopes up to 35% with ease.
- Adapts its cutting schedule to the weather conditions and to the grass growth conditions.
- Bluetooth smartphone app and intuitive Assist-U interface for you to schedule, monitor and communicate with the lawn mower.
- Safety sensor in case anyone lifts the robotic mower up when it’s in use.
- Clean the mower by hosing it down with the garden hose.
- Comes with battery and charging port, as well as 150 staples and 200m of boundary wires.
- Weighs 7.3kg.
- Need to stake out a boundary for the mower to remain within.
If your idea of mowing the lawn is to sit back with a cold beverage on your patio and watch someone or something else do the work, the Flymo EasiLife 350 Robotic Lawn Mower is for you. No family squabbles about whose turn it is to mow the lawn. Overall it’s a fantastic robotic lawn mower that is also affordable in robot lawnmowers terms. Well worth considering if you have the budget.
4. Flymo EasiStore 300R Li Cordless Rotary Lawn Mower
Mobility is the keyword with the Flymo EasiStore 300R Li Cordless Lawn Mower. First of all it’s a more traditional rotary mower and not a hover mower, it’s powered by two 20V Lithium-ion batteries which are included with your purchase. You no longer have to be tethered by an electric cord when cutting the grass and can roam where you please.
The batteries charge to full from completely discharged in three hours, so you may want to have a spare set ready to go if you’re mowing a large lawn, This may be why the manufacturer states that this Flymo cordless mower is best for small to medium size gardens and with a 30cm cutting width we also agree. The cutting width of 30cm supports this garden size as does the cutting height range of 25mm to 65mm (in three steps), though you won’t get a really close-cropped lawn. The height is adjustable through an easy-to-get-to central lever.
Mobility is also built into using the lawn mower ambidextrously. Left-handed people have been thought of here. The operating lever is duplicated on both sides of the handlebar, so you can use either hand. Or you can switch which hand you hold the power lever with if one gets tired.
Mobility is in the upscale look of your mowed lawn when using this Flymo mower. what I really like is that there is a rear roller that creates the awe-inspiring stripes you see at Wimbledon and on bowling green, something many models simply don’t have.
- Cordless rotary lawn mower runs on two 20V Lithium-ion batteries (included).
- Batteries charge from empty to full in three hours.
- Cutting width is 30cm and the cutting height range is from 25mm – 65mm.
- Grass collection box holds 30L of grass clippings.
- Central manual height adjustment for easy access.
- Rear roller creates stripes on your lawn.
- Lever handles on both sides of the handlebar so you can operate the lawn mower with either hand.
- Handlebar folds down for compact vertical storage and transport.
- Weighs 8.8kg.
- Not suitable for large gardens.
The Flymo EasiStore 300R Li Cordless Rotary Lawn Mower sets you free in your lawn cutting task. We Recommend it for anyone whose lawn is not near an outside power outlet or who has patches of grass all over the place that they need to keep trim. And especially for those who really want stripes on their lawn as this Flymo will create those stripes that most lawnmowers can’t.
5. Flymo XL500 Petrol Hover Lawn Mower Honda 160 cc Engine
If you’re looking for a powerful hover mower for use where an electric Flymo is simply not an option, then this Flymo 160cc Petrol Lawnmower is worth considering. It’s powered by a powerful 160cc (5.5hp) 4-stroke Honda engine and by all counts is fairly quiet, especially when compared to other petrol lawnmowers on the market. Refuelling of this reliable Honda engine is straightforward.
The 51cm-wide steel cutting blade reflects the use of this hover mower for large scale domestic use as well as semi-professional use. What makes this mower a great option is its ability on slopes up to 45 degrees, making it ideal for mowing banks. The selection of four cutting heights from 10mm to 40mm gives you the choice from close cut to more relaxed grass lengths.
Petrol garden equipment generally is heavy because of the engine, and this Flymo mower is no exception coming in at 18.2kg. To help with the weight and transporting of the mower, there’s an optional transport wheel kit which is sold separately.
- Petrol powered hover mower has 160cc (5.5hp) of oomph to handle 45 degree slopes beautifully.
- Four-stroke engine doesn’t need petrol and oil to be refilled separately.
- Cutting width is an impressively wide 51cm and the cutting height range is from 10mm to 40mm in four steps.
- Designed for larger domestic gardens and for semi-professional use.
- Quiet compared to other petrol powered garden equipment.
- Weighs almost 20kg but optional transport wheel kit is available.
We recommend the Flymo XL500 Petrol Hover Lawn Mower Honda 160 cc Engine for those gardeners, home or semi-professional ones, who are faced with caring for large lawns and need powerful equipment to do so. All features of this mower are geared to any kind of large lawn, flat or otherwise, and type of grass, dry or wet.
Compare the best prices from available sellers below
6. Flymo Hovervac 280 Lawnmower
BEST BUDGET MODEL WHICH COLLECTS
The Flymo Hovervac 280 Lawnmower is an affordable hover mower that doesn’t expect you to do all the work – it has some of the features of more expensive models. Although this model is designed for small gardens, its powerful 1300W motor is found in larger mowers in the Flymo range. The cutting width, at 28cm, is a little narrower than most but is still wide enough that you’re not forever going back and forth over your lawn. The cutting height range is from 10mm (quite close) to 30mm ( a bit looser) in four steps and is comparable with other more expensive units.
Although you’re purchasing a budget-friendly mower with the Hovervac 280, it still picks up the grass clippings for you and compresses them into its 20L collection box. Depending on the size of your lawn, you may have to make a few trips to the compost bin to empty it. And online reviewers complain that not all the grass clippings are collected into the box successfully.
Weighing in at just 8.8kg. this Flymo mower is a great hover mower to start with to see if it suits your lawn care process.
- Electric hover mower with the 1300W motor used in larger Flymo mowers.
- Long 12m power cord.
- Collection box is 20L and compresses most of the grass clippings.
- Cutting width is 28cm and the cutting height range is 10mm to 30mm.
- Weighs 8.8kg.
- Handle folds down of easy vertical storage and transportation.
If you’re not sure about whether a hover lawn mower is right for you, the budget-friendly Flymo Hovervac 280 is a good introduction to this style of mower. It’s easy to use and not large enough to be intimidating, plus it has some of the features of larger and more expensive Flymo models.
Compare the best prices from available sellers below
7. Flymo Turbo Lite 330 Hover Lawnmower
If you always mulch your grass clippings or rake and compost them yourselves, you don’t need a collection box on your mower. Lacking such a box, the Flymo Turbo Lite 330 Hover Lawnmower is worth your consideration. It’s lightweight, easy to carry and is designed with small and medium gardens in mind. The 10-meter cable ensures you’re not left short when mowing your lawn.
The metal cutting blade is powered by a powerful 1150W motor which ensures there’s plenty of cutting power to cut through even the toughest grass. This hover mower has a wide cutting width of 33cm and a cutting height of 10m to 30 mm which can be adjusted in 4 steps using the spacers provides. This covers the range that most domestic gardeners prefer for the lengths of their blades of grass. The spacers are easy to adjust with the tool which is included and takes only a few minutes to do.
If you’ve ever struggled with the weight of any lawnmower, the Flymo Turbo Lite may be the answer to your problem. At 6.5kg. this is the lightest hover mower in our review, which makes it easy to manoeuvre in all directions and to carry..
- Electric hover lawnmower with 1150W motor to support small and medium gardens.
- Cutting width of 33cm and cutting heights (in four steps) from 10mm to 30mm.
- No collection box to get in the way of leaving the clippings on the lawn.
- Control lever on each side of the handlebar.
- Electric cord is the standard 10m long.
- Easy to move around in all directions.
- Weighs only 6.5kg.
The Flymo Turbo Lite 330 Hover Lawnmower is a great hover lawnmower in its own right, but especially so for those who find other lawn mowers too heavy to handle and for those who prefer to leave their grass clippings on their lawn.
Compare the best prices from available sellers below
8. Flymo EasiGlide Plus 360V Hover Collect Lawn Mower
The Flymo EasiGlide Plus 360V Hover Collect Lawn Mower is a corded mower that’s especially good on sloped lawns or those with non-traditional shapes. Its 1800W/360V capacity supports its use on larger lawns as does its generous 36cm cutting width. Although you only have a choice of four cutting heights, the lowest one of 10mm is quite a close cut.
The 26L collection box won’t have you running to the compost heap with the grass clippings too often. Especially if you keep an eye on how full it is through the well thought out transparent window into it. Left-handed people will once again feel wanted with the dual control levers, one on each side of the handlebar. This feature also relives hand and arm stress for right-handed people who may want to just switch it up after a while.
This Flymo EasiGlide Plus has the usual Flymo feature that respects that outdoors storage space is always at a premium. The handlebar folds down to allow you to transport the mower easily and to either hang it up for storage or to store it standing vertically.
- Electric hover lawn mower with 1800W of power.
- Cutting width is 36cm and cutting height range is in four steps from 10mm to 30mm.
- Central manual cutting height adjustment.
- Works well on sloped or awkwardly shaped lawns.
- Collection box holds 26L of your grass cuttings.
- Transparent window in collection box to see how full it is.
- Ambidextrous use with levers on both sides of handlebars.
- Cable length is 10m for a small to medium garden.
- Handles fold flat for hanging or standing storage.
- Weighs 11.4kg.
We recommend the Flymo EasiGlide Plus 360V Hover Collect Lawn Mower for those who, despite their best efforts, have undulating lawns or those who are looking for a mower with a wider cut than usual and are looking for an electric hover mower that’s affordable and ideal for those medium to larger lawns. Just remember you still restricted by a 10-meter power cord so you might need an extension lead if you have a particularly long lawn.
Flymo is renowned for its high quality, distinctive bright orange and grey lawn hover mowers. Our Buyer’s Guide briefly identifies the features common to most Flymo lawn mowers that give them their reputation for high quality, long service and ease of use.
Weight and manoeuverability
Hover mowers are lighter than any other type of mower and so are easier to manoeuvre around. You don’t have to run them in straight lines, although that is an option, but you can move them from side to side or around in circles to create different or even no patterns in your cut grass. The lightest mower in our review is the Flymo Turbo Lite 330 Hover Lawnmower which only weighs 6.5kg.
Like other lawn mowers, with hover mowers you have the choice of electric (corded), battery (cordless) and petrol power. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, mainly related to weight, mobility and maintenance. Bear in mind that whatever power source you add to the mower unit will increase its weight.
Most Flymo mowers are designed for small to medium size gardens and lawns. However, the petrol model we review here easily handles large lawns and is even for semi-professional use. Flymo has also branched out into cordless mowers but they are not hovering mower type models.
Most of the mowers in our review have the control levers on both sides of the handlebar. This lets both left- and right-handed people use their preferred hand to hold the throttle down.
This may seem surprising but not everyone wants their mower to pick up their grass clippings. Some gardeners leave the cuttings on the lawn as mulch with put nutrients back into the garden. Not all Flymo mowers come with a grass collection box to give gardeners this option.
Flymo seems to appreciate that there’s always a shortage of storage for garden equipment. Many of their lawn mowers allow the handle to fold flat. This lets you store the mower compactly in an upright position, either standing up against a wall or hanging on a wall hook which can be handy for saving space.
Each of the Flymo mowers in our review, while appearing similar, have features that best suit particular lawn and gardener circumstances. Whether you have a small or medium size lawn, have bits of lawn in different places or find it difficult to push a lawn mower, there’s a Flymo lawn mower, particularly a hower mower, for you.
Our Best Pick is an affordable model of Flymo hover mower that works for almost everyone. The Flymo Glider Compact 330AX Electric Hover Collect Lawn Mower has all the features expected of a high-quality mower as well as being lightweight and easy to use.
If you decide either that a hover mower isn’t right for you or that you want to look outside the Flymo brand, our Best Hover Mowers and Best Lawn Mowers reviews have excellent information and recommendations.
Last update on 2021-07-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API