Top 5 Best Robotic Lawn Mowers For 2018 – Buyers Guide & Reviews
Top 5 Best Robotic Lawnmowers
Automation has made our lives easier and now we are able to allocate our precious time to doing other activities. Technology in its wide range of capacity over the years has automated most of our household mechanics.
The induction of automation started with basic products like vacuum cleaners. These, in turn, created footsteps in which all the other household items would take. The first commercially manufactured robotic mower for commercial purposes was back in 1969. New developments came up in the robotic lawn mower genre in 1995, where the first fully efficient solar power robot mower made its debut.
The robot lawnmowers follow simple programming to work. A line or guide wire is used to surround the parameters where the lawnmower needs to cut. The auto mower is fitted with sensors that are capable of mapping out and mowing the lawn to precision.
For anyone seeking the best robotic lawn mower for their property, the market is flooded with choices. You might need a few hints to point you in the right direction. The design, cost, style and color are crucial in picking out your preferred mower. Reputable and trusted brands are recommended for those shopping around for the first time.
OUR TOP RECOMMENDATIONS
At time of review the Flymo 1200R is currently on a deal price at Amazon.co.uk for under £500. I don't no when this deal will end but you won't find better robotic lawnmower at this price.
Robotic Lawn Mower Buyer’s Guide
When the topic of robotic lawnmowers is raised, you have to look at why you are selecting these products. The benefits of acquiring the mower have to outdo the cost and other factors analyzed when buying an automotive lawnmower. After figuring this out you can always catch some tea as you wait for the grass to get cut.
Benefits of robot lawnmowers
- Convenience - Automated lawnmowers are very convenient and these make them very easy to use. The mower does all the work for you. You get to spend less money having professionals take care of your landscape and you get to save time. It will also save you some money when it comes to utility bills.
- Environmentally friendlier - With fossil related fuels acting as major players in the field of pollution, machines operating on renewable energy are a sight for sore eyes. We have plenty of automated lawnmowers in the market using electricity or solar powered options. You get to have a groomed lawn without polluting your environment more.
- Safety - There are manufactures producing these robotic lawnmowers with additional safety features. Features like motion sensors that switch of the machine in handled incorrectly. Some of these sensors prevent the lawnmower from bumping into obstacles like trees and rocks. These features maintain the proficiency of the machine.
- Healthy Lawns - The methodical cutting and dispensing of clippings is one of the most advantageous features the mower has to offer. Depending on the brand you subscribe to, grass clippings are no longer an issue. The systematic approach lets the clippings act as manure and moisture retainers for green, healthy looking lawns.
- Save on expenses - Overall landscape fees can sum up to thousands of dollars annually if you add up labor and resources used up. Using traditional based mowers tend to consume fuel that costs a lot of money and may need new spare parts occasionally. The robotic lawnmowers just need regular maintenance and recharge.
Here are the main factors to consider when choosing robotic lawnmowers:
- User Friendly - Manuals usually provide valuable information to users, unless of course, they are long and complicated. No one wants to handle machinery that is hard to set up or understand what the modules do. Instructions should avoid using too much technical language, as it ends up frustrating the customers.
- Coverage - Manufacturers produce robotic lawnmowers that cover different ranges. Depending on the total area you want groomed, you might have to invest in more guide wire. But not to worry, everyday manufacturers present newer and better versions that will be enabled to cover a larger surface.
- Edging - Gardeners with green thumbs tend to provide your landscape with clean and even edges. As time progresses into the future and paying for groomed landscape gets more expensive, investing in an auto mower is a good idea. If you acquire lawn mowers with the right grass height limits, once your lawn is mowed, touch ups are unnecessary.
- Sharp sensors - Auto mowers rely heavily on their sensors to map out the parameters that require grooming. The incorrect setting of boundary markers will lead to uneven cuts on your lawn. High quality and proficient sensors will guide the mower around the right parameters and be able to avoid rocks and trees.
- Cost - To get quality sometimes you have to spend a little more than you usually do. Lawn mowers can cost up to the tune of several thousands. Depending on your spending power, you can weigh out the options and pick out the best in that price range.
- Trusted Brands - When picking out a robotic mower for the first time can be hectic. If you are not worried about your budget, you can invest in reputable brands that have passed rigorous tests. Warranties and guarantees are usually part of the package. Manufacturers ensure to provide quality in every price range.
- Low maintenance & repair - You do not want to keep spending tons of money just for upkeep. You want machines that are easily rechargeable and can manage the weather patterns. There are brands known to do weatherproofing to perfection.
- Diverse landscape - This are of lawn mowers is still undergoing developments, while these robotic lawn mowers cannot handle very diverse and tilted landscapes it is safe to use within lawn capacities. Set achievable limits for the robot lawn mower, without overworking its systems.
- Safety - Models coming out to the market are now fitted with auto-off features that are initiated when the mower is placed in some positions or if mishandled and overworked. This is an additional feature that will save you trips to the emergency room.
With that guide I hope we have simplified matters for you. You can now confidently select the right robotic lawn mower for you.
Our Top 5
Robotic Lawnwomer Reviews
Robomow RC306 Automatic Robotic Lawnmower Review
**OUR BEST PICK**
- Built-in Bluetooth technology.
- Base station for self recharging.
- Triple edge steel blade.
- Edge cutting mode.
- Comes with a quick start guide.
- Cutting width: 28cm.
- Equipped with child lock.
- Requires no supervision.
The Robomow RC306 is a sophisticated model designed to tackle lawn areas of up 600m2, thanks to the double wheels which drive it on such a large area. The mower’s robust design also means it can handle most slopes up to 20 degrees. It mows all types of grass including small twigs, pine cones, thick lawns, St. Augustine and high grass, achieved by its strong 11-inch stainless steel, 3-star cutting blade. At the same time, the RC306 is smart enough to detect previously mowed areas and set routes close to them. As such, it covers the entire area without leaving any patches.
Just when you think about the intelligence of this machine, it gets even better. We are talking about the rain sensor in this lawnmower. The RC306 is capable of sensing rain at which it stops operations even when you are not at home. This feature prevents rusting and any sort of damages that may result from rain. There’s also built-in Bluetooth technology which allows you to control the mower using a mobile app. Child lock feature is also as smart as safety is concerned. It prevents children from interfering with operations or even input unwanted settings that may cause harm.
The base station is simply where the mower goes to automatically recharge the Lithium-ion battery when the power level is down. It’s also where the mower rests in between the mowing sessions that you configured it to perform. Robomow recommends that you do not install the base station near a sprinkler or on a slope but in shady location in your garden.
The not so good!
The battery takes up to 70 minutes to fully recharge which is quite a long time. Also, first time installation can be hectic while setting the boundary wire.
Our recommendation - If you are looking for a model that needs no supervision at all, the Robomow RC306 Robotic Lawnmower is the perfect answer, thanks to the integrated Bluetooth, rain sensor and child lock features. The affordable price along with 1-year warranty which covers on any repairs or replacement will also be quite appealing to many prospective buyers. All things considered, the RC306 Robotic Lawnmower is our best robotic lawnmower.
If the Robomow RC306 is not available or doesn't seem suitable for you then take a look at the very impressive 'Bosch Indego Robotic Lawn mower' for similar specifications and performance - View by clicking here
Flymo Lithium-ion Robotic Lawnmower 1200R Review
Probably the best selling robotic lawnmower
- Working area: 400m2 +/- 20%.
- Area capacity: 30m2/hr.
- Irregular navigation system.
- Automatic charging system.
- Battery powered – 18v 1.6Ah Lithium-ion battery.
- Easy installation.
- Lightweight at only 7.4kg (unpacked).
- Suitable for lawns up to 400m2.
- Cutting heights between 20-50mm.
- Works day or night.
Designed for easy installation, the Flymo 1200R comes with a DVD, manual and a quick guide. The robotic mower can be set to operate on different days and times and it works on its own at the programmed times, even when it rains. For effective mowing, there’s an easy-to-place boundary wire that defines the area to be tackled by the robotic lawnmower.
Whether you have an uneven garden or there are obstacles in the area, the 1200R mows in an irregular pattern meaning it covers all areas regardless of the garden shape. The boundary wire along with highly sensitive collision sensors helps the mower to avoid any obstacles. It’s worth mentioning that a full charge of this robotic mower lasts up to 60 minutes and when required, it takes itself to the charging station to recharge.
The magnificent thing about a robotic lawnmower is that you don’t have to worry about disposing of grass clippings. The 1200R blades especially cut the grass repeatedly into tiny unnoticeable pieces which eventually disappear into the soil, acting as natural fertiliser. This results into a well cared for lawn without even much effort.
With cutting heights of between 20-50mm, the robotic mower allows you to set your desired grass level. And if your garden is anything up to 400m2, the 1200R will complete the job in a matter of hours, working at 30m2/hr. The better part is that it can work both day and night. In the long run, it saves you so much time because after programming to your desired settings, you’ll only have to sit back and wait for results.
The not so good!
The robotic lawnmower cannot cope with the long and dense wet grass that grows over a typical winter, so you might need to manually cut grass that is 4+ inches before running the 1200R.
Our recommendation - The 1200R is a pretty well made product and quite user friendly. It can be programmed to desired settings and works any time of the day, come rain or sunshine. If you like spending time with your family and friends during your spare time, the Flymo Robotic Lawnmower 1200R is what you need to do the dirty work for you.
Husqvarna 105 automower Review
**SUITABLE FOR NON TECHNICAL GARDENERS**
- Mows 24/7, rain or shine.
- Low energy use.
- Equipped with PIN code lock and alarm.
- Suitable for areas up to 600m2.
- Uses 1 Lithium-ion battery.
- Customizable settings.
- Automatic charging system.
- LCD display information panel.
- Variable cutting height – 20-50mm.
- Sound level: 58 dBA.
This compact 3-wheeled robotic mower is suitable for more open grass areas and smaller lawns up to 600m2. It can also cope with slopes with an incline of 25%. The Husqvarna 105 operates at a low noise level of 58 dBA, which is about the same noise level as a normal conversation speech volume. The LCD display panel allows viewing and inputting of your desired settings including the cutting height which varies between 20-50mm. Upon programming the mower, it works freely whether day or night, rain or shine, leaving so much time in your hands for other activities.
It turns directions pretty well especially after reaching the boundary wire or after hitting obstacles. This makes it pet friendly as the blades are also strategically positioned under the mower so even if it bumps into your animal, there is no chance of them being hurt. It also moves quite slowly and detects any sort of contact via a very soft bump at which it stops immediately. It also knows if toppled over or lifted up and again can stop itself immediately.
It uses 1 Lithium-ion battery with a mow time of 70 minutes and recharging takes 50 minutes. It also consumes low energy, approximated at 4.5kWh per month. There’s a PIN Code Lock and Alarm for security reasons. The PIN has to be typed in to re-activate the mower anytime it stopped manually, handled or picked up. The Alarm alerts you in case it’s picked up so you don’t have to worry about thieves while you leave the mower in the open.
The not so good!
This lawnmower is only good for small lawns. It also falls short when it comes to cutting and maintaining the edges of your lawn. It is also expensive.
Our recommendation - The Husqvarna Automower 105 is perfect for a flat, small lawn. Simple installation and auto programming attract the less tech-savvy persons. All you have to do is program it, relax in the shade and let the mower give your yard a beautiful look.
WORX WG790E 1 28V 18 cm Landroid M Robot Lawnmower Review
**BEST FOR LARGER LAWNS**
- Low noise – 63 dB.
- PIN Code lock.
- Weatherproof construction.
- Adjustable cutting height: 20-60mm.
- Automatically returns to charge station.
- Suitable for lawns up to 800m2.
- Programmable timer for weekly schedule.
- Equipped with rain sensor.
Landroid comes fully packed with a set of features intended to take care of your lawn autonomously. Fantastically simple to install and program, this robotic mower even explores narrow segments of your garden without getting stuck. The weatherproof construction means you can leave the mower out regardless of the elements. At 8.9kg, we think it’s moderately light as models such as the Flymo 1200R are lighter while the Husqvarna 105 is on the heavier side.
Once the majority of the job is done, it's easy to change to edging mode to handle those difficult to cut edges of your garden. There’s even a 'Zone Mode' which allows you to customize the treatment your yard gets relying upon which part of your garden the mower is working on. So with a touch of straightforward programming, you should simply push a button and let the Landroid lawnmower do all the diligent work.
This Landroid model consequently comes back to the charging station to revive at whatever time its power gets to a low level. This implies you can continue sitting and enjoying a cool drink without lifting a finger. In addition, smart technology empowers the lawnmower to cut on slopes of up to 20 degrees elevation, so don't be put off if your garden isn't consummately level. With regards to your desired grass height, you can set the dial anywhere between 20-60mm and accomplish the ideal cutting height without moving a muscle.
Safety is an essential part as far as any lawnmower is concerned. The Landroid M Robotic Lawnmower features unpredictably sensors that identify pets, kids, and garden furniture with perfect precision, so you can rest assured your loved ones and valued possessions are safe.
The not so good!
We found out that the sensors of this mower sometimes miss the presence of little fallen tree branches. So it’s not completely hands free; you need to check your garden for branches before you let the mower work.
Our recommendation - The WORX WG790E perfectly adapts to any garden, giving you the peace of mind and time to engage in other activities. It’s one of the most technologically advanced models in our review but everything is well explained for a user-friendly operation. You might need to clear your garden prior to releasing this WORX but then the overall performance is great.
Bosch Indego Cordless Lithium-ion Robotic Lawnmower Review
**EXCELLENT ALL ROUND, BUT EXPENSIVE**
- Easy installation and set up.
- Suitable for up to 1000 sq. metres.
- Operates in various weather conditions.
- Logicut system technology for efficient operation.
- Powered by Lithium-ion battery.
- Cutting width – 26cm.
- Adjustable cutting height between 20-60mm.
- 3-Blade centrifugal cutting system.
The Bosch Indego lawnmower is innovative and packed with awesome features to allow you have a beautiful looking garden without any physical work. It mows your garden, discovers its route independently and dependably conveys the ideal cut thanks to the 'Logicut'. The smart navigation system maps out the shape of your garden then calculates the shortest route possible and starts mowing in uniform parallel lines. Moving methodologically implies faster, efficient mowing thus saving on energy.
The smart Indego has sensors which track its movement and position within the garden. So when the battery is running low, it will come back to the dock station to charge using an automatic charging system. It takes about 50 minutes to completely charge and afterward it goes back to the point where it was last cutting and continues on its next session. When programmed, the Indego is sufficiently smart to work without supervision, letting you focus on other projects.
Worried about the weather? The Indego lawnmower can work in most weather conditions including the rain. The Indego automated lawnmower can operate in almost all weather conditions including the rain. It’s ideal for use in gardens up to 1,000 sq. metres, an equivalent of four tennis courts. It additionally handles inclines up to 20 degrees making it the perfect answer for slanting gardens too.
Using the Indego will bring about a healthier garden. You can choose different cut heights between 20-60 mm then set the mower will execute perfectly. Along these lines, the grass clippings drop down onto your lawn and disappear back into the soil as natural fertiliser to nourish your lawn.
In the event that the Indego bumps into an obstacle, its sensors recognize this and reverse and move around it to proceed with its cutting route. It additionally includes sensors to naturally and rapidly stop the cutting framework in case it’s lifted off the ground. For extra security against burglary, it’s integrated with a PIN code and alarm system so you don’t need to worry about leaving it outdoors.
The not so good!
The Indego is quite an expensive model and many people might not be able to justify the cost of buying one. On this regard, the risk of theft on such a costly product is also high even though it has an alarm system.
Our recommendation - Perhaps the Bosch Indego is expensive for the large lawn size it can work on - up to 1,000 square metres. In any case, it’s an excellent lawnmower for those who don’t mind spending upfront.
So what would models would we recommend
All the robotic lawnmowers above provide many of the similar features and come highly recommended. With alternatives like programmable scheduling and the capacity to remotely control them from Smartphones, robotic mowers give every lawn owner a way to automate the lawn mowing task and spare their time for more critical matters. The only thing left for you is to choose the best robotic lawn mower for your garden keeping in mind the important factors to consider before settling on one.
Our Best Pick
The Robomow RC306 is our best robotic lawnmower for some obvious reasons. First, it’s the most user-friendly lawnmower on our table backed with features like built-in Bluetooth, child lock and rain sensor. In this age, nothing beats any accessory that you can effortlessly control from the palm of your hand. Second, the mowers automatic switch off once rain is detected and the automatic recharging makes for a no-supervision unit. Both time savers and lazy ones will love this machine. Lastly, the price is nothing to bargain; it’s actually the most affordable model in our review and perhaps among the cheapest lawnmowers in the market.
Best Lawnmower for large lawns
This goes to the WORX WG790E.1 28V 18cm Landroid M Robotic Lawn Mower which has a maximum coverage of 800m2. We find it ideal to most homes with large gardens plus it comes along with the right features; rain sensor, re-charge station, variable cutting height, weatherproof design and PIN code lock. You don’t have to sweat on a hot day when you can leave this lawnmower outdoors to shape your perimeters accurately. It’s also a bit pocket-friendly for the performance and coverage.
At time of review the Flymo 1200R is currently on a deal price at Amazon.co.uk for under £500, this is an amazing price and offers great saving. I don't no when this deal will end but you won't find better robotic lawnmower at this price.