Last updated on November 28th, 2023
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
As a professional gardener, I’ve been involved with garden maintenance for over 20 years, and if there was one request I heard the most, it was ‘Can you create those stripes on the lawn?’. The answer, of course, depends on their lawn condition, but it was usually a yes after a little lawn maintenance.
First, I’d treat the lawn with iron sulphate (this kills moss and feeds the lawn making it dark green), followed a few days later with good scarify with my petrol scarifier to remove the dead moss and thatch, then I’d aerate the soil using an aerator to improve drainage. Sometimes, I would also have to do a little lawn levelling work using my lawn levelling rake and my compost spreader to level any dips in the lawn, followed by overseeding with a lawn spreader. Once you have a nice ‘level’ lawn, it is just a case of using a lawn mower with a roller, and you get those fantastic stripes.
In my guide, I’m going to help you decide with is the best lawn mower for making stripes for you so that you can do the same.
The first thing to understand is that the stripes are created by the roller similar to the one shown on my Bosch cordless mower above. This is what creates those stripes we all want. The problem is you also need a good amount of weight to push that roller against the lawn to make the most distinctive stripes. Because of this, a petrol lawn with a rear roller that also acts as the rear wheels always creates the best stripes as the weight of the mower and its engine is on top of the roller.
With this in mind, I have always used the Hayter Harrier – 41 PRO Rear Roller Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower shown above as my go-to for my lawn maintenance business over the years. If you have a good-sized lawn and are serious about having a striped lawn, this is the mower I recommend. The problem is their expensive mowers but there worth every penny. However, for professional use, I could always warrant spending the money as they’re super reliable, exceptionally well made, and never let me down. So, they are a worthy investment for trade use.
However, I have, over the last few years, tested some Hyundai petrol lawn mowers and have personally had one for around two years now. I’ve previously talked about it as part of the best lawn mower for large gardens review as well as it being my top pick in my best petrol mowers guide.
If I weren’t going to invest in another Hayter, I would seriously consider this Hyundai 17inch – 43cm 139cc Self-propelled Petrol Roller Lawnmower for creating a striped lawn. Let me tell you what a machine this thing is, and it’s half the price of a similar spec Hayter mower. The thing is, the Hyundai mower does an equally good job at creating stripes. It’s also very reliable thanks to the 139cc 4-stroke Hyundai engine. It starts first time, every time. More importantly, it has a fixed rear roller that supports the weight of the mower, it’s self-propelled, collect well and has an electric start push button. It has it all, and you can pick one up for around half the price of a similar Hayter mower. You even get 3 years warranty for domestic use too, not that I’ve ever had to use it.
When it comes to cordless mowers, I try to avoid recommending them for creating stripes because they are usually relatively lightweight, so they don’t have the weight needed to create decent stripes. Now, I say decent, as some models do create stripes if they have a roller which some do. The stripes are usually not as defined when compared to stripes created by a petrol mower. I know many people will only use cordless mowers now. With this in mind, I have been using this Bosch Universal Rotak 36-560 Cordless Lawnmower, which does have the rear roller, for about five years on my own lawn. It does create stripes so I thought I would at least give you the option. It’s one of the larger cordless mowers, so it’s a little heavier than many other models, which is why it still creates stripes on the lawn. ‘But’ and there is a but. It works best on level lawns! If you have an uneven lawn, you won’t get the stripes even though it has a roller. For small and medium sizes lawns that are fairly level, it’s a great cordless mower for getting a striped lawn.
Make sure you buy the mower including the battery and charger. For some reason, it comes without the roller if you buy the bare tool (mower without the battery and charger), no idea why but just something to be aware of!
If you have a small level lawn, then another cordless option worth considering is this Hyundai HYM40LI380P 15inch – 38cm Cordless 40v Lithium-Ion Battery Roller Lawnmower. The only downside is the running time is limited to around 20 minutes, and spare batteries are expensive, which is why I only recommend it for small ‘level’ lawns.
BEST PETROL PICK
BEST CORDLESS PICK
My 7 best lawnmowers for making stripes
- Bosch Universal Rotak 36-560 Cordless Lawnmower – BEST CORDLESS MOWER FOR STRIPES – I’ve personally tested this mower for over 4 years now. Because it’s a larger lawnmower, it still has the extra weight and rear roller to create the stripes effectively.
- Hyundai 17inch – 43cm 139cc Self-propelled Petrol Roller Lawnmower – BEST PETROL PICK – The rear roller on this beast is also the rear wheels. This creates very distinctive stripes and is ideal for small and medium-sized lawns. Very reliable mower and an excellent alternative to the more expensive Hayter 41 PRO for nearly half the price!
- Hayter Harrier – 41 PRO Rear Roller Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower – BEST HIGH SPEC PETROL PICK – Been using these for years professionally as part of my garden maintenance business, stunning stripes and are very reliable.
- Hyundai HYM40LI380P 15inch – 38cm Cordless 40v Lithium-Ion Battery Roller Lawnmower – Recommend on small level lawns only due to limited run time.
- Mountfield S421R PD 41cm Self-Propelled Petrol Rear Roller Lawnmower
- Wibang Legacy 56 Pro 3 Lawnmower – An alternative to the Hayter Harrier mower, very well-built and reliable mower for professionals
- Webb 17″ (42cm) Petrol Lawnmower
Top 7 Roller Lawnmower Reviews
1. Hyundai 17″/43cm 139cc Self-propelled Petrol Roller Lawnmower
BEST PETORL PICK
This Hyundai 17″/43cm 139cc Self-propelled Petrol Roller Lawnmower is probably one of the best mowers for creating stripes which is also much more affordable compared to the likes of Hayter, which are usually double the price. Now, I also have the none roller version of this mower, the Hyundai HYM51SPE Self Propelled Petrol 4-in-1 Rotary Lawn Mower, but it’s been a very reliable workhorse.
This Hyundai 17″/43cm 139cc petrol mower is slightly smaller, but it has that all-important rear roller and is what I’d use for smaller and medium-sized lawns. This mower with the rear roller has all the same features as my large Hyundai mower, including the electric start as well as the standard recoil as a backup. It’s self-propelled, although only single speed and its very well built. I must admit, these Petrol Hyundai mowers are a little on the heavy side but still manageable. The Hayter mowers I’ve had in the past are lighter, but then there double the price too!
So, more about this mower, it’s powered by a reliable 4-stroke 139cc Hyundai petrol engine which is easy to start at the push of a button. It’s an excellent choice for smaller and medium-sized gardens as it has a 17-inch (43cm) cutting and a reasonable 45-litre collection box. If you do have a larger garden, I would consider one of the bigger models, such as the 48cm wide HYM480SPER model, which has the same engine but obviously wider cutting width or the even bigger 52.5cm wide model with a slightly bigger 196cc 4-stroke engine so it also has more power. As well as being wider, so less passes, they also have a larger 70-litre collection box too, more mowing, and less emptying.
It has five different cutting heights at which to cut the grass, from 25mm for a close cut, this is how I like it, but you really need a level lawn to ensure you don’t scalp the lawn. I usually move it up a level if the lawn isn’t perfectly level. You can set the cutting height as high as 75mm. This is perfect for very long grass.
As for those prized green stripes on your lawn, this mower also has a split roller at its full width at the back. This split roller makes it easier to turn the mower at the end of each pass across your lawn.
- Self-propelled petrol lawn mower with 139cc 4-stroke 3.7hp Hyundai engine.
- Electric start and has recoil backup.
- Cutting width is 43cm.
- Five adjustable cutting heights from 25mm to 75mm.
- Split rear roller (full-width) for those “British” strips.
- Grass collection bag has 45L capacity.
- Rear discharge and collect options for grass cuttings.
- Soft grip covering on the handle for comfort.
- Foldable handle for compact storage.
- Best for small to medium lawns.
- Three-year domestic warranty; one-year commercial warranty.
When it comes to creating the most distinctive stripes and affordability, the Hyundai 17″/43cm 139cc Self-propelled Petrol Roller Lawnmower really is hard to beat. I’ve owned quite a few Hyundai garden tools, from their garden multi tool to their petrol lawns mowers. There always very well-built and easy to assemble. They always start the first time, and the overall build quality is excellent. The only minor downside is they can be a tad bit on the heavier side, which is not a big issue but just worth considering. That being said, all this considered, I really don’t think you can go wrong with choosing this petrol Hyundai mower with the rear roller.
2. Bosch Universal Rotak 36-560 Cordless Lawnmower
BEST CORDLESS PICK
Bosch once again has produced a quality machine with the Bosch Universal Rotak 36-560 Cordless Lawnmower. First thing first, I have the older previous version so it’s been upgraded to make it even better but it still has the much-needed roller for creating those stripes. Something to note though, you need to buy the mower with the battery and charger included. If you buy the battery and charger separately from the mower, it doesn’t come with the roller. Basically, don’t buy the mower as a bare tool as it won’t have a roller fitted. No idea why!
With that out the way its a very impressive lawnmower that is ideal for both medium and larger sized lawns. The physical design of the mower is appealing to the eye and it has some great features to match with this latest design. It has a powerful power-drive motor with ProSilence that reduces sounds by up to 30% and provides more comfortable acoustics. It also features a hardened sharpened steel blade that gives an accurate cut and the rear roller gives your lawn an immaculate striped finish. Here the other catch, you need to have a fairly level lawn for the roller to be effective.
However, it has a high torque that helps in all conditions, whether the grass is dry or wet which means it even cuts well on wet grass when most other models would struggle. Bosch claims the power-drive technology in the motor gives it a 99% grass collector, which basically means it collects pretty much all the grass it cuts.
As with most electric lawnmowers, it is a lightweight model with a weight of 17.5kg and has an impressive cutting width of 40cm, which does indeed make it appropriate for use on larger lawns. Consequently, it has adjustable cutting heights of 25–80mm with these being distributed in seven different settings so you get the perfect height.
It gives a traditional edge trimming and with the new leaf collect technology that assists with the collection of autumn leaves (which is another nice feature), simply blow all the leaves together with a leaf blower and pick them up with the mower.
The capacity of the grass box collector is 50 litres which is a decent size and means you can spend more time mowing and less time emptying. A new feature they have also added is that the collect box actually folds down flat too. What is fascinating about this model is the ergonomic design that prevents you from straining your back muscles and such. The handles are made for easy holding and pushing the mower. The handles are also double-handed controls meaning they can be controlled by the right or left hand. They also fold up easily for storage purposes.
There is a QuickClick system that enables you with the quick assembly of the lawnmower.
It has an innovative airflow technology that assists in the cutting of the grass properly. The useful side combs draw grass in from the edges which allow you to mower right up to the edge of the lawn or against fences, walls etc and still cut every blade of grass. It, however, tends to be slightly noisy, which is to be expected with most larger electric mowers.
It comes with a 2-year guarantee free and an additional 1 year if the lawnmower is registered with Bosch within 28 days of purchasing the machine.
- Powered by a powerful 36V 2.0Ah lithium-ion battery that gives around 40 minutes of mowing.
- Wide 40cm cutting width and rear roller for creating those distinctive stripes.
- Features power-drive motor technology that gives it a high torque and accuracy in not only grass cutting but in the grass collection.
- ProSilence reduces sounds by up to 30% and provides more comfortable acoustics which means it is quieter than many alternative models.
- The ergonomic design that is unique to this model reduces muscle strain.
- Quick to assemble thanks to the QuickClick technology used in the model.
- Features innovative airflow technology.
- The featured leaf collect technology makes it constantly useful even in the autumn, while the useful side combs help with drawing the grass from the edges.
- It has double-handed controls that help it when in use on both the left and right.
- Grass collection box folds down to be even more compact when not in use.
- No issues to report
The Bosch Universal Rotak 36-560 is perfect for medium and large-sized lawns and it is probably the best choice for anyone who is looking for an electric lawnmower that has a rear roller fitted. The lawnmower has a wide cutting width that would be advantageous to those who like mowing in the least amount of time possible. The adjustable handles and cutting height makes this model adaptable to people with different height requirements.
You will appreciate the way it is easy to use, and quick to start with a simple electric start. Also, the fact that it is lightweight means you can mow the entire lawn effortlessly in a matter of minutes and it is easy to carry the mower up and down steps.
Even more, the prolonged grass combs on the Ergoflex 43 mows up to the edges providing the extra trimming that is absolutely superfluous and gives a good finish and it also means you will spend less time trimming the edges.
All things considered, the mower is well built and it is equipped with modern technologies that encourage an unbeatable performance.
Overall, this is a great choice for anyone who is looking for an electric model for medium-sized or larger lawns, don’t want to use a petrol mower and need a model that will create those stripes and give a fantastic finish. It really is a super mower and worth every penny.
If this model is a little too big then our new mower below may be a great alternative.
Compare the best prices from available sellers below
3. Hayter Harrier 41 Pro – 16-inch Rear Roller Autodrive Petrol Lawnmower
BEST PETROL PICK
The Hayter Harrier 41 Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower is a modern definition of the very best lawnmowers. The high powered petrol mower has an impressive cutting width of 41cm (16″) and it covers a large surface of grass in one cutting. This makes it quick to use, which in turn, makes it perfect for smaller and medium-sized gardens. Another feature that makes this model stand out is the fact that it is self-propelled. It also has a variable speed giving you a choice on how fast you want to go.
The cutting height is adjustable from 13-60mm and this can be set using a simple counter-balanced lever so you have a good choice of cutting heights. It has a unique cutter blade friction disc for the best cutting performance. It boasts of a lifetime guarantee on the crankshaft bending and comes with a 3 years manufacturer’s warranty on the mower itself, including the engine. Unlike most cheaper models, the body is made up of robust high aluminium to prevent damage and designed to cope with the day to day running of a professional gardener who is mowing every day.
It has a large 60-litre grass bag that is not compulsory to use when activating the rear discharge feature. The fabric grass bag is fixed through the handlebar for ease and simplicity. It is also easy to remove and empty when full. The easy height adjustment feature in the handle makes it easy to be used by people of various heights. The handlebars are also fully folding.
The two-piece ribbed rear roller has differential support for superior traction, easy turning and the ability to act over the lawn edge. The aluminium deck provides corrosion resistance, high durability, long life and easy mowing around the borders. The Briggs and Stratton engine enhances power and performance and the tough ABS underdeck liner supplies enhanced cut and collection while being easy to clean. It also helps with the quiet operation of the model, helping to reduce noise.
One of the stand out features of this model is the variable self-propelled speed which can be set between 1.5 and 3mph and this means you can set the best speed for your walking pace, slowing the speed down for long wet grass and speeding up for shorter dry grass. As previously mentioned, the electric start is also a great feature for quick startups and no pull cords to contend with.
- Wide 16 inch cutting width with seven cutting heights, perfect for the largest of lawns.
- Large 70 litre collect bag to ensure more time mowing and less time emptying.
- Self-propulsion and variable speed makes it easy and comfortable to work with and adapt to the conditions.
- The cutter blade friction disc prevents engine crankshaft damage.
- The ribbed rear roller gives it superior traction and control over the mower when you need to turn it.
- The aluminium deck provides corrosion resistance features in combination with durability and strength.
- The startup is by an easy electric key which means no pulling stiff cords.
- Lifetime guarantee on the crankshaft and three years warranty on the mower.
- No problems to report, a near-perfect mower just a little heavy, however, this is expected for such a good high-quality mower.
We think that the Hayter Harrier 41 Self Propelled Petrol Lawnmower is hands down the best lawn mower for maintaining a large garden, is simply faultless and packed with features. It boasts the latest advanced technology and seeks to improve customer comfortability while improving cutting performance.
It is equipped with such tools and features that it is clearly worth its price when compared to average alternative mowers. We like the fact that it is easy to start with just a button to give us an easy start in mowing.
With its variable ground speed, seven cutting heights and rear roller that produces probably the best stripes you will ever see, this model is worth every penny to professional gardeners looking for a workhorse or home gardeners looking for the very best mower. It may be expensive but it will not disappoint and comes with a 3-year warranty for full peace of mind. Most other petrol models only come with 1 year so 3 years is excellent.
If you’re looking for a petrol alternative that is more affordable, our next two mowers below could be a great alternative.
Compare the best prices from available sellers below
Read next: The best mowers for wet grass
4. Hyundai HYM40LI380P 15″/38cm Cordless 40v Lithium-Ion Battery Roller Lawnmower with Battery and Charger
I know I mentioned earlier that petrol mowers tend to make the best stripes but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t consider a cordless lawn mower. Now, I’ve already mentioned my Bosch 37Li cordless lawnmower which has a rear roller but this mower is a little too big for small gardens. For small gardens, and im talking maybe smaller than 60 square meters, I would recommend considering this Hyundai HYM40LI380P Cordless Roller Lawnmower which is one of only a few cordless mower that has the rear roller for making stripes.
This model comes with a 40V 2.5Ah Lithium-ion battery as shown above which takes 80 minutes to charge. When fully charged, you get about 20 minutes which is why I recommend it for only smaller lawns. The other option is to buy a spare battery to extend the running time but they are expensive, over £80 and then you have to consider whether it would be better to get a different mower. There is also a handy indicator light telling you how much battery life remains in the battery.
It has a reasonable 38cm (16 inch) wide cutting and a reasonable 40-litre grass collector bag which you can see in the picture above. It does collect the grass reasonably well too, I would perhaps avoid wet grass, this is where it can struggle a bit but I only mow when it’s dry so this wouldn’t be a problem.
So let’s talk cutting heights, this has five easily to select different heights to cut your grass by adjusting just one lever. The shortest is a respectable 20mm which gives a close cut, but you do need a level lawn. I found that the second setting was about right. For longer grass, you can cut as long as 70mm on the highest setting. What I would say is that if you have tall grass, cut it down in 2 or 3 stages not all at once.
Now for the important bit to create those stripes. This mower does have full width ribbed rear roller at the back which you can see above. This is the piece of the mower that’s responsible for those grass stripes that set your lawn apart from your neighbours. It’s the full width of the mower so you get one stripe, the full width of each path that you cut across the lawn. Now being cordless electric and quite a lightweight lawnmower, you need a level lawn to get the distinctive stripes and don’t expect the stripes to stand out like they do when you use a petrol mower, especially one where the rear roller is the actual rear wheel, this will simply not be the case.
One feature I especially like is the safety feature. You have to turn a key as shown in the picture above in order to start the mower. As long as you keep the key in a separate location from the mower, only you, or whoever you give the key can use the lawn mower.
And those of you who don’t have much storage space left in their shed or garage will be pleased to know that the handle of this mower folds down flat over the body and you can store the whole unit vertically. This means that it takes up much less space than leaving it sitting out on the floor.
- Cordless stripe mower with 40V 2.5Ah Lithium-ion battery and charger.
- Cutting width is 38cm and best for small to medium lawns.
- Five adjustable cutting heights from 20mm to 70mm.
- Full width rear roller for creating traditional stripes.
- Grass collector bag has 40L capacity and is vented.
- Rear discharge and mulching options.
- Lightweight at 13.9kg.
- Twenty minutes of mowing time from 80 minutes of charging.
- Need a key to turn the mower on as a safety feature.
- Handle folds down over body of mower for compact vertical storage.
The Hyundai HYM40LI380P lawn mower is a great piece of kit, you won’t get the stripes like you do a petrol lawn mower but if you have a small level lawn and don’t like the idea of petrol mowers, this is well worth considering as you will get those stripes. If you don’t have a level lawn, then a petrol mower with a rear roller will be your best bet. The only thing that really lets this mower down is the limited running time of around 20 minutes. It’s enough for a small garden but it might struggle to do two, a front and a back without needing to be recharged and the spare batteries are quite expensive to buy.
5. Weibang Legacy 56 Pro 3 Speed Kaw Rear Roller Lawnmower
BEST PROFESSIONAL PICK
The Weibang Legacy 56 Pro 3 Lawnmower is another fantastic heavy-duty lawnmower that you can rely on. This mower features a 4-stroke Kawasaki FJ180 – AM74 engine that runs optimally whenever called upon and is very reliable. The powerful engine is fuel-efficient and therefore, you can operate it without worrying too much about fuel costs when you compare it against some of the older, thirstier models.
What’s more? This mower boasts a massive 56cm cutting width. In most cases, lawnmowers have a cutting width of 35-40cm which makes this model superior in terms of cutting width and coverage. This makes it a perfect match for larger lawns. As the user, you can adjust the cutting height between 16-67mm for a closer cut or longer cut and this is all controlled by a lever that is well-positioned for easy access so you can adjust the cutting height in seconds.
The lawnmower weighs 68.3kg and it is supported by aluminium wheels with rubber tyres. Aluminium is a strong material and can support the weight of the machine because the rubber tyres provide good traction. The height-adjustable handles permit the user to find a suitable working position and they also make it easy to store the machine. Ergonomically made, the handles benefit from the anti-vibration features installed.
There is more than enough room to run a couple of laps before having to empty the 85-litre collector. This large collector also has an indicator to tell you when it is full. This model comes with a 3-year commercial warranty and a 5-year domestic warranty-terms and conditions for anyone using it for home use rather than trade.
- It has a dependable 4-stroke Kawasaki FJ180 – AM74 engine.
- Comes with cutting height adjusting features.
- Features durable aluminium wheels with rubber tyres that can manoeuvre different terrains.
- It has a wide cutting width of 56cm that covers more surface area in one lap.
- Offers handle height adjustment settings for user comfort and easy storage.
- Comes with anti-vibration features to reduce exhaustion felt when working for long periods at a time.
- Features a heavy-duty rear roller for the perfect results.
- Provides a large capacity collector to catch all the grass trimmings.
- Accompanied by a 3-year commercial warranty and a 5-year domestic warranty for home users.
- Lacks a blade brake clutch.
The Weibang Legacy Lawnmower has a lot of things going for it. It boasts a reliable and powerful engine and a wide cutting width of 56cm. The lawnmower would be perfect for those who have large lawns to tend to and need to cover more ground quickly as well as professional gardeners who will also benefit from a 3-year warranty, which is surprisingly long for a professional lawnmower. It is a heavy-duty lawnmower and therefore you can expect to get value for every penny spent.
We appreciate the adjustable handles because both short and tall people can find a comfortable working position. This is the kind of lawnmower that you purchase when you want to spend money on equipment that will last a long time and won’t let you down. It is a premium-priced lawnmower that does what it says on the advertisement so you won’t regret it.
6. Webb 17″ (42cm) Petrol Lawn Mower
As usual with most rear rollers for lawns, the Webb 17″(42cm) Petrol Lawnmower with its rear roller gives you a classic striped finish. The Briggs and Stratton 500e engine gives you a high performance and cutting experience with its powerful 1400cc easy start engine.
It’s kind of surprisingly lightweight for a petrol mower with a rear roller at 32kgs, and it’s still very easy to manoeuver. It has folding handles that come in handy when storage space is minimal. It has six cutting heights that range from 23-77mm with a wide 17-inch cutting width making it perfect for larger lawns. All this is controlled by a single lever making it very easy to change the cutting height with just a single move. The ABS thermoplastic deck comes in handy with the efficiency of the model.
The capacity of the collect box is 55 litres so plenty of room for longer runs. This comes also with a mulch plug that helps in the recycling of the grass clippings. The self-propelled model has padded handlebars that add to the comfort and ease of the little control needed over the mower.
It comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty and is easy to assemble, taking less than 10 minutes because the instruction manual (with a picture assembly method) is very easy to understand. This model also assists with a common problem found in most lawnmowers and the long-wheelbase prevents annoying tramlines appearing. As expected for safety purposes, there is an engine stop brake bar, so as soon as you let go of the handle it stops.
It requires 450mm of engine oil that is not included with the package and needs to be bought separately, so be sure you add this to your order when purchasing your mower.
- 17″ cutting width with 6 cutting height of 23-77mm and a more affordable option for home users.
- It’s self-propelled with an operator presence control that makes it easier to use and control.
- Fitted with a trusted Briggs and Stratton engine in this model that is easy to start and to maintain.
- ABS Thermoplastic deck is robust and designed to last.
- It has a mulch plug for recycling the cut grass clippings.
- 2 years warranty for full peace of mind.
- Takes a while to assemble.
The Webb 17″ Petrol Lawnmower is a state-of-the-art lawnmower that comes at a very good price, especially when compared to the Hayter Harrier 41 – 16 Petrol Lawnmower, however, the model by Hayter is in a different league.
It is one of many, if not the best, rear roller lawnmower for medium-sized lawns. It comes fully equipped for the modern gardener who wants a self-propelled operator, presence control and whatever other high gizmos it contains. It gives you easier and more effortless time management.
This model starts easily and runs smoothly thanks to the engine Webb have fitted. The outstanding engine makes it more efficient and comfortable during operation. The adjustable cutting height of 23-77mm is an added advantage for those looking for optimum performance.
To sum it up, this model is perfect for those looking for a more affordable mower with all the great features and more importantly, great performance and the stripes it makes on the lawn. A super machine for any home user. If you are looking for an even more affordable alternative our last mower in this review may be worth considering but it’s best for smaller lawns. Check it out below.
Compare the best prices from available sellers below
7. Mountfield S421R PD – 41cm Self-Propelled Petrol Rear Roller Lawnmower
This is a mower that uses revolving blades to cut grass to an even height. This machine is self-propelled and works wonderfully to perfect lawn stripes. Normally, you can adjust the height of the cut grass but sometimes it may be fixed by the mower.
This mower is powered by a stress-free start 100cc Mountfield RS 100 OHV 4-stroke engine so it’s reliable. It cuts right up to the paths and the edges with the forward drive from the powered rear roller.
It has a strong, powder dusted steel chassis to ensure the mower will deliver an outstanding finish for a long time. There are five cutting heights that are selected with the single lever and easy to change, starting from 2cm to 7cm, this is to ensure you have a variety to choose from to suit your desired finish.
This mower is appropriate for smaller sized lawns of about 20m x 20m because of the 41cm (16′) cutting width. The rear roller is an added advantage that produces the standard striped effect we all want.
In addition, there is a 55-litre collector that is easy to attach and has an indicator to show when emptying is necessary, which is a nice little touch to the design.
- It has a self-propelled rotary rear roller that provides the classic striped lawn finish and reduces the exertion used when pushing the lawnmower.
- It cuts up right to the edge of the paths and border edges that makes it efficient.
- The collapsible handles make it easy to use and store.
- Has an operator presence control, which makes it easy to interact with the lawnmower.
- The five cutting heights ensure you get your desired finish height.
- The indicator on the 55L collector makes it easier for you to know when to refill and empty.
- It is covered by an impressive 5-year warranty which is more than enough time to give it a good testing.
- Only really suitable for smaller gardens.
The is one of the best lawnmowers for stripes if you have a small lawn.
You will appreciate the strong RS100 OHV engine that should be very reliable. Moreover, the chassis steel is smeared with powder, further enhancing its robustness.
Finally, we recommend this model for any good gardener who wishes to shape and nicely stripe their lawn. It is the best for domestic use but could be handy for smaller commercial use for gardeners maintaining smaller gardens where their larger mowers may be too big. Finally, the five-year warranty is an amazing advantage and gives full peace of mind. Overall, a great mower that’s also very affordable.
Compare the best prices from available sellers below
Size of the lawn
The type of roller mower is dependent on the size of the patch you will work on. A small lawn requires either a hand push or an electric mower. For a medium-sized lawn, an electric or petrol-powered lawnmower would be appropriate. If you, however, have a larger lawn, the efforts of having to trudge along with a cable can be impracticable. You would rather go with a petrol-driven or electric cordless mower.
Types of lawnmowers that can make stripes
There are two types of mowers that can make stripes. Below we go over the two different types:
- Cylinder mowers have a front rotary blade that scissors the grass. They tend to be more expensive but they work better on lawns that are frequently cut. They, however, struggle with longer, damp grass and work best on flat lawns because they tend to scalp uneven lawns. They have a roller on the mower that creates the stripes but we found the cylinder cutting blades also create a stripe.
- Rotary mowers are the most preferred model because they are great for lawns that are not perfectly flat. They have a rotating blade underneath and a roller on the back that creates the stripes on the lawn. Not all rotary mowers have a roller which is something to be aware of. We obviously only recommend mowers with a roller if you want a striped lawn.
There are three types of lawnmowers in this relation.
- Manual Mowers – with this, you do most of the work. This would mean it would be easier if it was used on a smaller lawn to avoid strenuous work. These mowers work well on flat lawns and create some of the best stripes and are very affordable.
- Petrol Mowers – these are the most powerful lawnmowers. They are flexible in use because they do not require a power cord making them suitable for larger lawns. They nonetheless tend to be extremely heavy and this would be a problem if they are manually driven. They also tend to be noisy and require yearly maintenance such as cleaning filters and checking oil etc. The starting method also matters because there is the key starting method and the pull cord method. The key method is, however, battery-operated and will need to be changed or replaced with time. They are the best choice for larger gardens, and electric start models are expensive. Not all petrol models have a rear roller, so check before you buy. We obviously only recommend the models with rear rollers in this review.
- Electric – a corded electric lawnmower is lighter than a petrol one and will be suitable for small and medium-sized lawns. They are low maintenance with low noise pollution. They, however, are often not powerful enough for thicker growths of grass if your grass is left to grow too long. The cordless ones are more versatile because it reduces the thoughts accompanied by the strain and limitation of a power cable. The only flaw is that the battery can run out and might need replacing after some time, and they also take time to recharge, nevertheless, they are great alternatives to corded models.
Collection of the grass
The presence of a collection box or bag for the grass should also be considered and really is a must, remember raking the grass would only ruin the stripes. The capacity of the collector also matters. The higher the capacity – which is measured in litres – the longer you can use the mower before you need to empty it. Also, some models come with a vision window to help you to see when the collector is full which is a great feature.
You can also invest in a lawnmower with a mulching capability. These ones cut up the grass and push them into the turf. They end up decomposing and will eventually improve the quality of the grass on your lawn. Again this feature is probably not the best idea for someone looking to create stripes.
Most lawnmowers have different adjustable heights for how high the grass will be after cutting, depending on your preferences. The blades are easily moved up and down. Some mowers have greater varying ranges while others have smaller ones. Knowing how short or tall you want your grass to be is crucial.
The longer the blade of the mower, the more grass that gets cut with each pass. This is usually crucial with larger-sized patches because it reduces the amount of time spent taking care of the lawn. Small gardens will suffice with a 30cm cutting width. Medium-sized lawns with a 35-40 cm width and large gardens should look for a 40cm+ width.
These are an added advantage when it comes to lawnmowers. They help in trimming the lawn right to the edge to prevent you from having a separate trimmer. Not all models have this feature and they are usually fitted to rotary mowers. Again this is a nice feature to have but not essential.
The weight of the lawnmower also matters because it determines the effort needed to push the lawnmower as well as carry it, especially if you have steps to carry it up and down or are a professional gardener going from job to job. Unless the mower is self-propelled, it is crucial to know how much weight you can comfortably push around. Self-propelled lawnmowers are those that propel themselves forward with the push of a button and they need little assistance. The speed is roughly equivalent to the speed of walking. Most lawnmowers are fairly lightweight, especially manual and electric mowers and even most petrol models are not too heavy for most people.
An English garden is one that typically has a classically striped lawn. This is achieved, as we have seen above, using a lawnmower with a rear roller. However, more often than not it can get confusing knowing what length of grass you want to cut and to what height, the type of power you want to use and other little benefits that come with various models.
I have come up with the above list to hope that you at least have an easier time going through the different types of lawnmowers on the market, coming up with a checklist of the must-haves and ensuring you get one that sticks and solves your needs. So whether you want a rotary blade or a cylinder lawnmower, we have found the best roller lawnmower to suit the variables such as size in order to accommodate all walks of life and highlighted the most important bits.
Last update on 2023-11-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API