Best Cordless Lawn Mower – Updated For 2018 With 5 New Models
Our top 8 Cordless Lawn mowers which are included in our review after over 60 hours of research over 4 years.
- 1Bosch Rotak 43 Li Cordless Lawnmower
- 2Bosch Rotak 32 Li Cordless Lawnmower
- 3Greenworks 40v 35cm Cordless Lawnmower
- 4RYOBI 36v ONE+ Fusion Lawnmower
- 5Aerotek 40V Series X2 Cordless Lawnmower
- 6Evopower EVO1536 Cordless Lawnmower
- 7Einhell GE-CM 36LI Cordless Lawnmower
- 8Gtech Cordless Lawnmower
Cordless Lawn Mower Buyers Guide
Advantages of the new cordless mowers that use lithium-ion batteries
So what makes the new lithium Ion batteries better, the two main advantages are that they have much longer run times which gives you more cutting time per charge. The lithium Ion batteries can also be fully charged in around 60-90 minutes from flat, which means you spend less time waiting for batteries to charge and more time mowing. Most models will mow for 30-45 minutes between charges, which is more than enough time to mow small and medium sized gardens.
Other advantages of the best cordless mowers
- Light weight, making them easy to lift, carry and push around corners and into tight spaces.
- Most models are compact, incorporating folding handles for easy storage.
- No harmful fumes and extremely quiet when in operation compared to petrol models.
- They provide 30-60 minutes of mowing and fully charged again in as little as 60 minutes.
- Maintenance free, no fuel filters to change, oil changes or messy fuel to worry about.
- Having no cord trailing behind you means they can be used without having to worry about extension leads, avoiding obstacles and where there nearest plug socket is, pure freedom to mow any where.
- Simply plug the lithium ion battery into the mower and your ready to mow
EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY & INCLUDES 2 BATTERIES
This Greenworks cordless mower is one of the most affordable models available but some how Greenworks have managed not to hinder the quality or performance of this model, while still offering the best value for money of any mower
Comes with two 40v 2Ah batteries and each battery gives around 30-40minutes run time depending on how long the grass is.
To finish it off, it comes with 2 year domestic warranty for full peace of mind. Aa great buy considering to includes two batteries.
Choosing the best cordless lawnmower that's right for you
There are lots of different models available of different sizes, with various features and specifications so here are a few things to consider before purchasing a cordless electric lawnmower.
- Mower size - Most cordless lawnmowers vary in size and most models have a cutting width of between 32cm and 40cm wide, for narrow gardens think about choosing a smaller cutting width as larger mowers can be difficult to turn in tight spaces. For large lawns, consider larger models as they can mow for longer and cover more area before needing to empty the collection box. The last thing you want to be doing is emptying the collection box every couple of minutes.
- Run Time - Some models have longer run times as they have better quality batteries and some model use two batteries which helps increase how long they can mow for on a full charge. Usually the more expensive the mower the better the quality of batteries and the long the run time will be, 30 minutes is good and 60 minutes is very good.
- Garden size - Consider how many square meters your lawn is, most cheaper mowers will only mow up to 150 square meters from one full charge while other models will cover as much as 400 square off a single charge.
- Extra features - Some models have extra features such as grass combs, these ensure you can mow right up to the edge of your lawn and against a fence or wall while still doing a good neat job, this means less time spent with a edging tool, tidying up around the edges if the lawn.
- Charge time - The best batteries are lithium-Ion batteries which are more reliable and have longer cutting times as well as faster changing time. Some batteries can be charged within an hour while other can take as long as 5 hours.
- Quality - The best models are made from the best materials, better materials will usually last longer and less likely to get damaged during normal use.
- Spares & backup - Its important that you can get replacements parts, at least for major parts such as blades and batteries. Batteries will eventfully need replacing as they don't last for ever. Its worth taking into consideration how much replacement batteries cost as they can range from £35 to over £100 and some mowers have two.
- Warranty & Guarantees - Is this important to you? if you plan on purchasing an expensive mower then it should be. Most models come with some sort of warranty, most models include at least 2-3 years warranty, with the exception of some models that come with only 1 years warranty, remember this only covers one season of mowing so ideally you want at least 2 years warranty. Also some warranties do not include batteries, the expensive part.
CORDLESS LAWN MOWERS REVIEWS
Best Cordless Lawn Mower For Small Garden
BOSCH ROTAK 32 LI ERGOFLEX CORDLESS LAWNMOWER REVIEW
This Bosch Rotak 32 Li Ergoflex cordless lawnmower is powered by a innovative 36 V lithium-ion battery to ensure maxim consistent power to the Bosch 'powerdrive motor'.
Designed for cutting small and medium sized lawns up to 300m², it features ergonomically designed handles that are adjustable which helps improve body posture, which means less strain on your arms and back when mowing.
Another cleaver little it incorporates are heels and grass combs, what this does is ensure that grass, right up to the edge of the lawn, against a wall or fence, gets cut which means less trimming around the edges. This doubled with the 32cm steel roller which creates perfect, must have stripes on the lawn for a more refined finish.
It has an adjustable cutting height setting, which is controlled by a simple lever so you can easily change the cutting height between 30-60mm.
This model also has the 'Bosch Syneon Chip' installed, this chip intelligently controls the energy and power required at all times and delivers optimum power and maximum endurance at all times during mowing.
This Bosch Rotak 32 Li Ergoflex cordless lawnmower is one of 3 similar cordless models Bosch manufacture. This is actually the smallest of the 3 with a 32cm cutting width, they are all but identical with the exception of the cutting width, height setting and collection box size.
This model is great for smaller lawns and will push to slighter larger lawns if needed but bare in mind it designed with lawns up to 300m².
At 10.2kg it's light weight and it has carry handles which make it easy to carry and move around. It does take 90 minutes to fully charge the battery but you can charge it for only 45 minutes for a 80% charge which is actually enough for most smaller lawns.
Now for the negatives aspects, all mowers have some - Bosch recommend this mower for lawns up to 300m², however this seems a little too large for this little mower and I would only recommend using it on lawns up to, around 150m².
If your lawn is any bigger then 150m² we would recommend the larger Rotak 36 LI which is ideal for medium sized lawns up to 400m² and has a cutting width of 36cm. There is even the Rotak 42 LI which is for even larger lawns up to 600m² with a cutting width of 42cm. The two larger mowers also have a closer cut of 20-70cm but it takes slightly longer to charge the batteries.
Overall we would have no problems recommend any of the Bosch cordless mowers which is why we gave it out 'Top Pick'. They also have a steel roller on the back which create them stripes everybody admires and not many electric mowers seem to have a roller fitted so this is a bonus for the Bosch mowers.
GREENWORKS 35cm CORDLESS LAWNMOWER REVIEW (Older Model)
This Greenworks cordless mower, offers the best value for money and is one of the cheapest cordless models available.
Greenworks are known for there quality high performance tools and this mower is a great example of a quality mower without the expensive price tag.
It uses their innovative G-MAX 2Ah, 40V lithium-ion battery technology which provides constant power to the motor without any loss of power and gives a full charge every time.
Charging only takes around 60 minutes for a full charge which gives you a running time of around 35 minutes, which is more than enough for most small or medium sized lawns. It will also charge 80% of the battery in only 35 minutes if needed.
It has a cutting width of 35cm (14”) and an adjustable cutting height between 20mm and 80mm to give you a close cut which can be easily adjusted between 5 levels using a single lever handle.
Another feature this model incorporates, is the 2-in-1 functionality which enables you to set the mower to mulch, which deposits the grass cutting back onto the lawn. This is ideal when you have shorter grass and helps put nutrients back into the lawn resulting in a healthier lawn.
This Greensworks cordless electric mower is the cheapest mower to make it onto our list and includes a battery and charger. This is an important as Greenworks also manufacture several slightly larger models, with the 40cm cutting width model selling for slightly less. However this larger model does not include the battery or charger which will cost you around another £100, making it much more expensive than it appears, not a major problem but we just wanted to point this out.
Greensworks produce some of the best power tools available and are relatively new to the uk market, but they are well established in the United States and have a brilliant track record for quality tools that provide great performance. Their wireless mowers and tools are all powered by their powerful G-MAX 40 V Lithium Ion Battery technology and are one of the first mowers which are comparable to petrol powered tools.
It without doubt provides the best value for money of any cordless mower and has one of the fastest charge times and mowing time of any cordless mower.
RYOBI 36v ONE+ FUSION LAWNMOWER REVIEW
BEST CORDLESS LAWNMOWER FOR LARGE GARDENS
600 square meters of mowing from just one charge
This Ryobi One+ Fusion Lawnmower is powered using two 18v batteries which gives it enough power to mow an impressive 600 square meters of lawn from just one charge.
It has an impressive 40cm cutting width which provides more coverage when mowing and the height can be altered between 20mm and 70mm using a simple lever to set the cut height.
The large 50 litre collection ensures you can mow more and empty the clipping less, ensuring you mow the lawn in the least time possible.
The aerodynamically optimised cutting deck and 40cm blade ensure the best mowing performance and another clever features includes the Vertebrae™ handle design for extended fatigue-free use for extra comfort.
Another useful feature is the EasyEdge™ combs, this ensure you can mow up to the edge of lawns and fences while still maintaining and exceptional cutting performance and neat job.
This Ryobi One+ Fusion Lawnmower is one of the most expensive models available but you are buying supreme performance and quality from a brand you can trust.
The unique two battery system does give you the extra power needed for those larger lawns, it will mow up to 600 square meters from one charge which most other mowers do not even come close to.
It can be up and running out of the box within around 5 minutes and when you have finished the handle folds back and the large 50 litre collection box folds down flat so the whole mower can be stored easy without taking up too much space.
If you have a larger lawn, this model is worth considering and you will not be disappointed. The only negative point is that the batteries takes around 4 and 1/2 to fully charge which is nearly double that of the larger Bosch Rotak model which has similar performance.
Another good budget model
EVOPOWER EVO1536 CORDLESS LAWNMOWER REVIEW
EVOPOWER EVO1536 CORDLESS LAWNMOWER REVIEW
This Evopower EVO1536 Li lawnmower is new to the uk and is powered by a 36v 2.6amp Rechargeable Li-Ion battery which will give you around 30 minutes of mowing under normal mowing conditions and takes around 5 hours to recharge the battery.
It has an impressive cutting width of 15 inches (38cm) which is wider than any other mower in the same price range and has 6 cutting adjustment height levels up to 75mm, which can be be easily adjusted in seconds using the handle. The 40 litre collection box is large enough to ensure you have to stop less to empty the grass clipping.
Weighing only 16kg its light weight and easy to push and manoeuvre around corners etc. The handles fold down for easy storage.
?Comes with 1 years warranty which cover all parts and labour.
This Evopower EVO1536 Li lawnmower is a good alternative to someone considering the Greenworks cordless mower.
A great budget mower that will not disappoint and it does have lots of positive customer reviews on Amazon with very few negative comments.
The only issue we found, is that it takes 5 hours to charge the battery fully, this is a good length of time when you take into account that some of the other models including the Greenworks mower will charge the battery within 60-90 minutes, so you can get back to mowing within an hour if the battery runs flat.
Einhell GE-CM 36 Li Cordless Lawnmower Review
This Einhell GE-CM Li Power X-Change 36v Lithium Lawnmower is ideal for small and medium sized gardens. This cordless mower has an impressive cutting width of 36cm and a 6 level cutting height which can be set between 25mm-75mm. It will mow up to 300 square meters of lawn from one full charge making ideal for even medium sized lawns.
The fast charging batteries (It has two), can be fully charged within 60 minutes which is one of the fastest charge times of any cordless lawnmower available.
It incorporates a large 40 litre collection box that has a 'full indicator' fitted, so you all ways know when the grass clipping needs emptying.
It comes with 2 years manufacture warranty for peace of mind and Einhell spare parts are readily available should you need them.
If your looking for a reliable, high quality cordless mower and have a budget of around £300, then this Einhell GE-CM Li Power X-Change Lawn mower is worth considering.
This cordless mower is manufactured to a very high standard as you would expect from the German manufacture 'Einhell'. It is reasonably quiet when mowing and will easily mow a medium sized lawn up to 300 square meters from just one charge, this will give you around 40 minutes of consistent mowing.
One advantage this mower others is that the batteries can be charged in around 60 minutes and it comes with 2 years warranty for extra peace of mind.
Einhell also have a full spares backup service, so you can get replacement parts if needed very easily without much trouble.
Another positive point, is that the Power X-Change 36v Lithium batteries, can be used in other 'Einhell' power X-Change tools'. This could save you some of your hard earned cash if you plan on investing in some other power tool as they are much cheaper when purchased without batteries.
Overall, a very good mower, nice clean cut, easy to use and worth the extra cost when compared to other cheaper models.
We hope you have found our finding useful and it has helped you to decide which is the best cordless lawn mower for you.
It really comes down to the size of your garden and whether you are looking for the best cordless lawn mower for stripes. Both the larger and smaller Bosch models, the larger 42LI below and the smaller 32 Li Model are great if your after them desirable stripes.
If your not to worries about having a stripes lawn, then theirs plenty of choice with the Aerotek Cordless Lawnmower and the Greenworks 40v Cordless lawnmower both being good choices with good cutting coverage and run times making them ideal for medium sized lawns.
If you have a larger lawn and are looking for something will a larger capacity, cutting width and larger collection Box then either the Bosch Rotak 42Li Cordless Lawnmower or the Ryobi One+ Fusion Lawnmower would be the best choice.
Other lawnmower review articles you may find useful
Our website supports our amazing readers with countless hours of research and testing to help you find the best product so you don't regret making a purchase. You support us through our independently chosen links, which earn us a small commission and cost you nothing but helps support our research.
Last Updated on