Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
Last updated on August 21st, 2020
Look up, way up, to the top of your tall hedges and bushes. Are the tops getting straggly while the rest of your garden is neat and trim? Are they out of reach to trim and you can’t get close enough with a ladder? Then you need a long reach hedge trimmer to get them as tidy as the rest of your garden. What’s more, it’s much safer to use long reach hedge trimmer than it is to use a standard hedge trimmer and stand on a tall ladder or work platform.
This review of the best long reach hedge trimmers introduces the three different kinds – petrol, electric and cordless. We’ll describe what features there are and why they’re important. We evaluate each of the models in the article and tell you their pros and cons. Our Best Pick – Bosch Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer – and Runner-up – BU-KO 52cc Petrol Long Reach Multi-Functional Garden Tool – exemplify the best tools for trimming your unruly hedge branches.
BEST FOR PROFESSIONALS
Professionals in the landscaping business will enjoy the features available in the Stihl HLA 85 Cordless Hedge Trimmer. It is an energy-efficient hedge trimmer that is sharp and has great reach. It is certainly not the heaviest model in the market and therefore manoeuvring with it should not be a problem which is why its a great choice for professionals.
The cutting bar can be tilted giving the user better control when cutting corner branches. If you already have Stihl tools you can interchange batteries and chargers, therefore, saving you money. Overall, it is a well-designed hedge trimmer that is comfortable to use over long periods and is a well respected brand known for quality garden tools.
For all these reasons, the BU-KO Petrol Long Reach Multi-Functional Garden Tool is the Runner-up in our review of long reach hedge trimmers.
The. best long reach hedge trimmers that are included in our review are listed below:
1. Bosch Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer – BEST PICK
2. Stihl HLA 85 Cordless Hedge Trimmer – Best for professionals
3. BU-KO 52cc Petrol Long Reach Multi-Functional Garden Tool – RUNNER-UP
4. eSkde Electric Long Reach Telescopic Pole Pruner
5. Gtech HT3.0 Cordless Hedge Trimmer
6. Einhell GE-HH 18 Li Cordless Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
7. Ryobi RPT4545M Pole Hedge Trimmer with Extension Pole
8. VonHaus 750W Pole Chainsaw with Extendable Pole Length
9. Bosch AMW 10 HS Multi-Tool with Pole Hedge Cutter Attachment
New Review For 2020
It will give you enough time to work even on larger hedges and will cut branches up to 15mm with a maximum reach of around 10ft. We really like the additional branch butter for them thick branches but this is an additional cost.
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer Buyer’s Guide
Besides the price that you will pay for the long hedged trimmer, you have to consider the quality of the trimmer. You can spend a lot of money and end up with a trimmer you wish you had never purchased. Surveying the needs of your garden goes a great mile in selecting the right model. The size especially affects the features that you need to be keen on. This is what you need to know about long reach hedge trimmers before deciding which model might be right for you.
Also Great – a close second to our ‘Best Pick’
We also like the continuously adjustable telescopic aluminium handle as you can set it to any height and not in stages like some models which gives you more versatility.
Overall if you're after a cordless model which plenty of power, long-running times, something a little meatier than some of the cheaper models then this is a good candidate and well worth considering.
Power source options
We have a number of ways that long reach hedge trimmers can be powered. Many applications require different amounts of power and thus you will find some models more popular than others. There are really only 3 types to choose from electric, petrol and cordless electric but most people prefer an electric model for sheer ease of use and low maintenance required.
- Petrol Long Reach Hedge Trimmers – These models a favourite in heavy landscaping procedures. They often have longer blades and motors that can run for a considerable amount of time, especially when compared to cordless models. These kinds of trimmers can generally handle thicker branches than electric trimmers wouldn’t get through. They rely on petrol and thus they are not restricted by cords and can be refuelled as needed making them ideal for professional use as they are usually on the move. The thing that you will have to contend with is the noise level that these trimmers produce. You can notice that professional landscapers have ear and eye protection gear. The vibration and the weight of the petrol hedge trimmers is another thing to contend with and when fully extended they can feel heavy. The other real downside to petrol models is that they require maintenance such as changing oil filters, spark plugs and other general maintenance. Unless you have a larger garden or prefer petrol powered garden tools we recommend avoiding these models and opting for electric.
- Electric hedge trimmers are perfect for domestic use where they will not get overworked and can be used by the less experienced. Compared to the petrol model, these are often cheaper and much easier to use in general and much easier to maintain. These electric models are light to handle and come in various admirable designs. when it comes to cords, the longer the better since you will be able to cover a wider length with ease and taller hedges before needing to use an extension cable, remember to use a extension cable designed to take the power and to not leave the extension lead coiled as it cane become very got and melt or worse set on fire. Be careful so as to select hedge trimmer models with cable management systems. Cable management systems are there to ensure that you don’t trip over the cable. Alternatively, you can drape the cable on your shoulders which helps keep it out of the way.
- Battery-powered/cordless hedge trimmers – If you don’t want to get your hands dirty messing with fuel and don’t want to be tied down by power cords. Your only option is to get a cordless model. In general the higher the Amh the longer the batteries will be able to run and the higher the voltage the more powerful the trimmer. The charging time depends on the quality of the battery. some take an hour and some take longer than 4 hours. When looking for battery-powered models, try to get the biggest capacity battery you can to ensure you don’t run out of power and it’s always handy to have a spare battery around. While these models offer manoeuvrability, they are generally expensive but with batteries improving all the time they are now starting to become more affordable, especially with the introduction of lithium-ion batteries. Make all the calculations before purchasing a model since some manufacturers offer the body without the battery and charger so watch out for that.
The extension pole offers you a varied working angle especially when teamed up with the pivoting head. For a machine that is to be used occasionally and for an affordable price, this one does not make a bad choice at all and is manufactured from one of the most trusted tools manufacturers out there.
Area to be covered and size of the hedge trimmer
How tall are those hedges? the taller the hedge the more access you need the longer the blade. You would think that having a long blade would be a convenience but in some cases, it is not. The heavier the blade the harder manoeuvrability, especially when you have the trimmer extended at full height.
Some models come with harnesses to keep the user’s posture straight but these harnesses vary in design. It is important that you look for a design that suits your frame. Depending on the scale of work that is to be done, select a hedge trimmer that can match up. We can tell you from experience it much easier to use a long reach hedge trimmer while using a harness to take some of the weight.
The blade is another feature that you cannot afford to overlook. You find that the material used to make most blades is mostly hardened steel. The length and the width of the blade affect how effectively you will able to cut through.
Long blades help you cover a wider surface while shorter ones provide easy manoeuvrability. The spacing in between the blade teeth also matters. Thick branches are handled well by trimmer blades with widely spaced teeth. Closely spaced blade teeth are efficient if giving your hedges that finer finish and maybe better for well-pruned hedges were there just getting a light prune. They, however, have a hard time dealing with thick vegetation.
In blade design, you can run into a single or double blade. Double blades are preferred since they provide robust cuts. This comes to the aid of those who have older hedges. Older hedges usually have thicker branches and need more force to get them looking neat. Also, we prefer models where the blade has a blade guard to protect the blade from damage while in storage or being transported.
There are two features that we consider here. The shaft and the cutting head. These features will help you access your tall edges to give your garden a uniform look. The cutting head can be fixed or pivoting depending on the kind of hedges you have. Most people find themselves drawn to the pivoting head since it provides more access in tricky corners and is great for trimming the tops of hedges.
Sometimes the branches get a bit to thick for the blade to handle. If you have a model that is compatible with various accessories then you have an advantage. You can attach a small chainsaw head, pruner or other cutting tools that are compatible with the model. Our ‘Best Pick’ comes with a trimmer hedge and chainsaw head which helped it win the ‘Best Pick’ spot.
Another thing that we look at is the extendable/telescopic shaft. This is where a simple tool becomes a super tool. The shaft is responsible for providing the right amount of reach needed to clear out new plant growth. These shafts can be fixed or detachable. This will depend on the model and your personal preference. Most shafts are more than adequate.
Ease of use
The last thing anyone wants is sore muscles. This can be contributed by heavy machinery with poor ergonomics. You want a machine whose handles are correctly designed and positioned for better balance. The best models have padded handles that are able to absorb most of the vibration generated.
Another thing is the lock-off switch. This is not found in all the models but none the less important. The switch can only be activated by able adults. This makes it a low-risk item around pets and children who tend to be curious. Basically a switch has to be pressed before the trigger will move which helps prevent accidental startups.
Those after corded models, look out for proper cable management systems. The longer the cord the more time you will take to manually recoil. There are models that offer automated cord recoil but they may cost you a bit more than the average model.
Budget and warranty considerations
Budget wise, the only person who can set the limit is yourself. You can get cheap or top of the notch brands depending on your spending power. If you have a model in mind, investigate its features and determine whether it is worth it. Try to understand the quality that is offered and decide appropriately. We found that a good model would set you back around £100.
Warranties do vary but we found most models come with at least 12 months with more expensive models sometimes having up to 3 years. Obviously, the longer the warranty the better.
Best Telescopic Hedge Trimmers
1. Bosch Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer
Cordless hedge trimmers provide a convenient, clean and quiet operation. The Bosch Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer continues the high quality of Bosch products as a tool that will deal with most trimming jobs in a home garden.
The Bosch cordless hedge trimmer has a powerful 18-volt Lithium-ion battery. This will last for 2.5 hours of continuous work according to the manufacturer and will recharge in one hour. This hedge trimmer comes with the battery and an AL 1830 CV charger. This hedge trimmer is part of the Bosch DIY Green and Garden tool series in which the batteries and chargers are compatible and interchangeable. If you already have one of the Green power tools, you may not need to buy a new battery and charger set. The Anti-blocking system ensures a continuous cutting session so the trimmer doesn’t sputter and ruin the clean line cuts you are striving for.
The blade length of this Bosch cordless hedge trimmer is 43cms (17 inches) with a 16mm tooth opening. Both blade length and tooth opening size can handle the average-sized hedge as well as some fancy trimming you may desire. The cutting head, to which the blade is attached, is adjustable and you can angle it almost 90 degrees in both directions with the push of a button. This lets you cut into corners or along the side of the hedge as well as across the top making trimming hedges much safer and easier and removing the need for ladders of platforms. The universal hedge pole expands to allow you cut up to 2.6m (8.5 feet) away, to the side or above you.
With no electric cord to tether you to the power outlet, you’re free to roam around the garden trimming hedges and trees which is a huge advantage compared to corded alternatives. The Bosch telescopic hedge trimmer is light at only 3.6kg (8 lbs.). We can report that it’s ergonomically balanced between the battery at the back and the heavier cutting head and blade at the front which makes it easier to use when extended. Also included is a harness allows you to wear the trimmer comfortably so you can manoeuvre it as you need. Also adding to your comfort of use is the soft-grip extended gripping area on the handle.
- Powerful lithium-ion 18V battery provides 2.5 hours of non-stop trimming.
- Interchangeable battery and charger with any tool in the Bosch Green tool series.
- Anti-blocking system delivers uninterrupted cutting power.
- 43cm long blade with 16mm tooth opening.
- Lightweight (3.6kg) and optimally balanced hedge trimmer.
- Adjustable cutting head pivots to 90 degrees in two directions.
- Extension pole adds to a maximum of 2.6 m length.
- Battery charge time of one hour.
- The tool can feel heavy and a little unwieldy especially when using the extension pole at full extension but this is the case with all models and just takes some getting used to.
Thoughts and recommendations
The Bosch Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer is a robust hedge trimmer which will handle most trimming tasks in the average garden. Reviewers have stated that it lacks the power of corded hedge trimmers, but that’s true of almost all cordless models. The trimming head can be tilted almost to 90 degrees in both directions so you can cut along the top of the hedge, adjust the cutting head, and then trim the side which is the main advantage and saves so much time.
This hedge trimmer can get a little heavy after some time especially if you’re lifting it to trim above your head. Again this is a common problem with all long reach hedge trimmers and is more about you finding the right balance and using the harness correctly.
This Bosch cordless trimmer is a good choice for those who need to roam around their garden to trim hedges and trees but don’t want the hassle of cords or a petrol engine to deal with. This trimmer will handle most routine trimming jobs in the average garden and its blade is small enough for you to even attempt a little topiary.
The Bosch Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer is the Best Pick in our review of long reach hedge trimmers but most of the other cordless models come a very close second.
2. Stihl HLA 85 Cordless Telescopic Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
BEST FOR PROFESSIONALS
The Stihl HLA 85 Cordless Hedge Trimmer is a fantastic piece of equipment that can help you keep your garden in shape but has been designed with professionals in mind. The hedge trimmer saves you from the hassles of a being tied to a cord and contributing to pollutants in the environment. This cordless model uses a powerful 36V lithium-ion batteries to power the sharp blades that cut through the branches with ease.
Being that the hedge trimmer is powered by 36v with a battery capacity up to 5.2 Ah depending on which batteries you use, you get to enjoy a longer running time. If you use the recommended AP 200 battery you can get up to 120 minutes of running time. The hedge trimmer is part of the Stihl PRO cordless power system therefore batteries and chargers are interchangeable with other Stihl products.
Depending on the charger you use, you can end up waiting 55-75 minutes for the battery to finish charging. That is a decent time, especially in busy environments and for such large capacity batteries. Both the charger and battery are sold separately, therefore, make budgetary considerations.
The hedge trimmer has telescopic handles to give the user a means to get to the higher branches. The telescopic handle is extended to give the hedge trimmer a total length of 330cm. You will find that the 50cm double-sided blade offers more than enough convenience to deal with those high branches. Alongside with that, the cutter bar is adjustable to 115° which is a bonus when cutting branches in difficult locations.
This model weighs 4.4kgs which is not too heavy for an adult to manage. The hedge trimmer is supplied with a blade protector to prevent any long-term damage to the blade. Retractable to a height of 125cm, this hedge trimmer can easily fit in the car and you can move with it from place to place. It has a 2-year domestic and 1-year commercial warranty so you can relax knowing that it is of good quality.
- Runs on 36V lithium-ion batteries that give a long running time.
- The handle can be extended to offer adequate reach.
- Features an adjustable cutter bar up to 115 °.
- Comes with a double-sided blade that is sharp for neat cuts.
- Operates quietly.
- It has a long cutting bar of 50cm providing long reach.
- Comes with a 2-year domestic warranty and a 1-year commercial warranty.
- Can be heavy hence a bit of muscle is required.
Thoughts and recommendations
You can trust that the Stihl HLA 85 Cordless Hedge Trimmer is made to suit small to large gardens and is the perfect choice for professionals to use. It possesses a sharp double-sided blade slicing through branches at a speed of 3000 strokes per minute. Because it uses batteries that are designed to be energy efficient, you can get a large amount of work done before you recharge.
Although it needs a bit of muscle to manoeuvre this hedge trimmer will definitely get the work done. It is not cheap but once you purchase it, you will get the work done in a jiffy compared to using a regular hedge trimmer and it will be super reliable and efficient.
3. BU-KO 52cc Petrol Long Reach Multi-Functional Garden Multi Tool
The BU-KO 52cc Petrol Long Reach Multi-Functional Garden Tool is truly a marvel of engineering. With a hedge trimmer, four other garden tools and an extension pole, the BU-KO 52cc garden tool provides both power and versatility in all areas of your garden, low or high.
With a high performance 52cc 3HP 2-stroke petrol engine, the BU-KO 52cc garden tool is well powered for almost any task. The 3HP engine needs 2-stroke oil to function and the fuel tank holds 1.2 litres of fuel. This garden tool has the standard recoil pull cord to start it but it’s easy to get going.
The five tools in the BU-KO 52cc multi-tool are: hedge trimmer; strimmer; pruner chainsaw; brush cutter and of course the extension pole. These should cover the vast majority of heavy tasks in your garden including strimming long grass/brush with the brush cutter and cutting down larger branches or branches that are too thick for the hedge trimmers cutting diameter with the pruner chainsaw attachment. The hedge trimmer has a double-edged hardened steel blade that’s 45cm long (18 inches). The cutting head can be turned through 90 degrees like our best pick to allow you to trim your hedge vertically along the sides without having to turn the engine and potentially spill the fuel. This adds to your safety when using this product and makes it more easier to use.
All the tools work with the extension pole which adds another 1m to where you can reach, to a height/length of 3.44m (11.3 feet).
The manufacturer, Aosome, has your well-being at heart as a safety package is included with this multi-function tool. You’ll be able to kit up in safety goggles, gloves and ear defenders and attach a chainsaw guide plate protector. Part of the safety package is the double-shoulder harness that lets you use the multi-functional garden tool more comfortably and with more control. There’s also a free tool kit for easy assembly of everything.
The manufacturer also provides a 12-month warranty with phone support for when you have any questions or issues with this model.
- Heavy-duty 52cc 3HP engine has enough power for each of the tools.
- Five-in-one multi-functional tool for all the big and difficult to reach jobs in your garden.
- Five tools are a strimmer, hedge trimmer, brush cutter, pruner chainsaw and an extension pole.
- Extension pole that extends the tool’s reach to 3.4m.
- All tools can be used with the extension pole.
- Double-edged, hardened steel 45cm blade for accurate and clean cutting.
- Cutting head pivots 90 degrees in each direction so you can trim without turning the engine and spilling fuel.
- Safety package includes goggles, ear protectors and gloves for your continued well-being.
- 12-month warranty with phone support.
- Poorly written instruction manual.
- Feels heavy after a while, particularly when extended.
Thoughts and recommendations
The BU-KO 52cc Petrol Long Reach Multi-Functional Garden Tool provides a useful variety of garden tools, including a robust hedge trimmer. The hedge trimmer blade, (at 43 cm), is strong enough for most DIY garden tasks and yet controllable enough to try some more elaborate trimming. The extension pole extends an impressive 1m to lengthen your reach to an even more impressive 3.4m.
Some people found difficulty with assembling the tool due to poorly written instructions that left parts out. However, those who seemed to be mechanically minded found the assembly to be straight-forward.
After using the multi-functional tool for a while, it feels heavy. This is not surprising given that the hedge trimmer adds as an additional 1.8kg to its 15kg weight. This is a fairly common complaint about any petrol hedge trimmer.
We recommend the BU-KO 52cc Petrol Long Reach Multi-Functional Garden Tool for its long extension pole and good customer service. Along with the hedge trimmer, you’ll get useful tools that you may not have thought of using before but will come in handy.
4. eSkde Electric Long Reach Telescopic Hedge Trimmer & Pruner Review
The eSkde Electric Long Reach Telescopic Trimmer & Pruner Set offers 2-1 functions for the price of one when compared to similar models that lack the chainsaw pruner attachment. If you chose to purchase this model, you end up getting a trimming head and a pruning head which is a bonus for anyone with thicker branches to also prune back such as tree branches. Both of these attachments can be pivoted (+60 to -80°) to cut vegetation at any required angle. This feature is great for trimming the tops of hedges.
This 450-watt hedge trimmer has a telescopic shaft that can be adjusted to suit the height needs of different users. The shaft extends from normal size to a whopping 2.8 meters giving you plenty of reach. Whether you are pruning or trimming, this is more than enough reach for you.
The 46cm trimmer is powered by a 450 watt motor in the cutting head and a 600-watt motor will allow you to take advantage of the 30cm Oregon chainsaw Blade for cutting thick branches where more power is needed. Being that it is lubricated automatically from the 100ml oil capacity tank, you don’t have to worry about fluid levels but remember to keep a check but you should be good for a couple of hours.
Due to the different cutting head, you will find that the unit weighs differently during use. To manage the weight of these different heads while extended, a harness strap is included. The harness is essential in maintaining balance and posture.
Finally, a long 10-meter cable is fitted which is essential when you have a large garden to clean up. All these features presented come with a 12-months warranty for full peace of mind.
- Features 2 functions in one as it comes with a hedge trimmer attachments great for trimming the side of hedges but it also comes with a chainsaw head for pruning thicker branches.
- Provides automatic lubrication for the chainsaw which means no having to manually lubricate the chainsaw.
- Provides pivoting heads for easy top access which makes trimming the tops of hedges more easier.
- Has a strong construction and ergonomic design which makes it very reliable.
- Long 10-meter cable provides plenty of reach.
- 1-year warranty for full peace of mind.
- Feels quite heavy when extended but no more than most other models but could be a problem for anyone who is not as strong as they once were.
- exclamation-triangleLimited to 10 meters reach unless you use an extension lead.
Thoughts and recommendations
The eSkde Electric Long Reach Telescopic Trimmer & Chainsaw Kit offers good value for money. What makes this model really stand out as well as the good quality construction is that it comes with two heads so you really get two tools, a hedge trimmer and a branch pruner. Both the pruning and trimming head can be tilted for effective cutting which also is a great feature we think all models should have as it makes them much more versatile.
The quality of the blades is unquestionable as they are sharp and ready to go and seem to be made from good steel.
Overall for the price, it’s a very impressive piece of kit but it does feel a little heavy, a few people also mentioned this on the Amazon reviews we looked at during our research to get a second option from the conclusion we came to. However, we think it’s not any heavier than most other models and it does come with a little harness to help take some of the weight. The reason it does feel heavier is that the motor is in the head at the top of the pole. However, we think it would be more than manageable.
Because of its versatility, quality strong construction, ease of use, as well as much debate, we decided that this model deserved the ‘Best Pick’ award as we feel this model would be the best model for most people.
If you don’t need the chainsaw attachment and are looking for a model that feels more lightweight then our next recommendation by Einhell might be better as it has the motor at the bottom of the pole making it feel lighter even though it may not be.
5. Einhell GE-HH 18 Li Cordless Long Reach hedge Trimmer
Buy on Amazon.co.uk
The Einhell GE-HH 18 Li T Cordless Long Reach Hedge Trimmer is a more powerful 550-watt cordless long reach trimmer which packs some great features and is perfect for more demanding hedge trimming cheaper models may struggle with thanks to the 18v 3ah battery and long 450mm blade with wider 16mm spacing for trimming thicker branches.
The trimmer is well designed to offer the customer much-needed access to the top of hedges. At 4.92kg it’s not the lightest model we have seen but like all good models, it has a pivoting head that you can adjust different angles to cater to different cutting positions.
Attached to the head you will find a 45cm blade which is manufactured from diamond ground steel. The diamond ground blades offer 40cm cutting length which should be adequate to work on long hedges. The spacing in between the blade teeth is 16mm which is the standard gap for most cordless models, which means you can be able to cut through 15 mm branches with ease, more than enough for most types of hedges.
Another thing to look at is the telescopic shaft used by this model. Made from aluminium it is light and durable thus won’t bend easily. The shaft provided will give you an extra 94cm of height that you can adjust accordingly.
The handles are an important feature as they facilitate control and manoeuvrability. This model has two adjustable handles that are positioned for comfort and is one of the only models with movable handles, again much better design overall for comfort. The primary back handles can be rotated to find the right-hand posture as well. The secondary handle is also adjustable to fit the height of the user.
Apart from positioning, the handles are padded to provide comfort and absorb some of the vibration produced. Considering that it has a speed of 1700 cuts per minute, this hedge trimmer will clear up new growth in no time.
The problem with some cordless models is that the motor is located at the cutting end which can make them a little top-heavy, we originally thought this might be an issue with this model but the lightweight motor and the balanced weight ratio seems to have solved this issue so most should find this model a pleasure to use even if using it fully extended.
- Features a lightweight motor and the balanced weight ratio means it not too top-heavy at full expansion.
- Offers an extendable shaft that can be attached and detached according to the user’s needs.
- Features adjustable handles that facilitate better control of the unit.
- The pivoting head offers more access to tight areas.
- It has durable blades that can handle thick vegetation within limits.
- Long 40-minute running time and fast 60 minute charge time with LED lights to give you an indication of how long the battery has left.
- Does not include a chainsaw cutting head.
Thoughts and recommendations
The Einhell GE-HH 18 Li T Power X-Change Cordless High Reach Hedge Trimmer is another well-made model but where it really stands out is the long-running time of 40 minutes and the extra cutting power it has when compared to cheaper cordless models. You have an extendable shaft, adjustable handles, pivoting head and padding for comfort, all features that make it more comfortable and less tiring to use for longer periods of time.
The blade is long enough and durable to offer good coverage of your hedges. In the case that you have a large area to cover, the battery can be recharged in only 60 minutes, compare that to Gtech which takes around 5 hours and 60 minutes is super quick. Other than that, this is an affordable cordless hedge trimmer that you can rely on for someone looking for a model that will handle large hedges.
Overall, this model was a close winner of our best pick spot with the only real downside being that it does not come with a chainsaw pruner attachment.
6. Ryobi RPT4545M Pole Hedge Trimmer with Extension Pole
The Ryobi RPT4545M Pole Hedge Trimmer with its Extension Pole is a corded model that operates on 450 watts which is not the most powerful model we have reviewed, however, it should still be more than adequate and it’s also one of the lightest models we have seen with one of the longest warranty at 2 years. Featuring an electronic brake and lock-off switch, you will find that this machine is very simple to use and designed especially for domestic use where the user may not be experienced. Whether you leave it on the floor or on top of a work table, the machine will not go on without assistance. This makes it safer around unsuspecting pets and children all though you should always keep it out of reach anyway, just in case Ryobi have thought of this.
Like all good standing hedge trimmers, the blade is always sharp and ready for use. The ground steel blades used in this machine ensure that you can cut through thick foliage easily. The blade length is around at 45cm, again pretty standard for such a tool and it has a cutting capacity of 18mm with a 20mm gap between the teeth. This would do well for medium applications.
Another notable feature on this hedge trimmer is the 135-degree pivoting head which is a must for a hedge trimmer for tall hedges. That new growth high up the hedge stands no chance. The pivoting head supported by the extendable shaft of 2.6 meters offers trimming lengths of around 4 meters when using it. The extendable shaft can be removed in the case you do not need the full height and should make it easier to use on the sides for smaller hedges where the full length may not be needed.
The unit weighs approximately 4.1 kg so as we have already mentioned is one of the lightest models we have reviewed and measures 103.8 x 20 x 17.6cm. All though it is one of the lightest models, it may feel heavy for some as it’s top-heavy so there is a harness provided. The strap harness will facilitate the support you require to position the trimmer correctly.
There is only one handle provided on this model. This handle is designed ergonomically so that the user is able to use the machine with or without the shaft. This unit comes with a 3-year warranty that you can access if you wish to. It is however recommended that you activate your warranty by registering online which most manufacturers require you to do now in the case of mishaps.
- Provides a double durable blade to deal with thick vegetation.
- The machine is lightweight at around 4kg and simple to manoeuvre.
- Features a pivoting head that can be used to access the very top of the hedge.
- Provides a long detachable shaft to get to the very top of the hedges.
- Can be used without the middle shaft if the full height is not required, this is useful for trimming the sides of hedges.
- Comes with a 3-year warranty for full peace of mind.
- The secondary good handle would be of benefit for more stability while trimming the hedges.
- When fully extended, the trimmer gets heavier and harder to balance mainly because the motor is in the head. Overall though should not feel too heavy.
Thoughts and recommendations
The Ryobi RPT4545M Pole Hedge Trimmer is a good choice if have really tall hedges and comes with the best warranty for any trimmer at 3 years which speaks for itself.
The fact that it has a long extension pole means that you can access these hedges easily but you can also do this with any of the hedge trimmers in this review. The trick comes in when trying to balance the machine when it is fully extended. The machine tends to get top-heavy when fully extended and that is why a secondary handle is needed for support. This is not a problem unique to this mode however as most models also have the motor in the head with the exception of the Einhell Long Reach Hedge Trimmer.
Those with high hedges that don’t grow very fast will enjoy the services of this machine. We can only recommend but if you feel you have the physical agility to keep up with this model frequently. Go for it! you also get the 3-year warranty which is a bonus. The price is not bad at all either so why not?
7. VonHaus 750W Pole Trimmer / Chainsaw with Extendable Pole Length
The VonHaus 750W Pole Trimmer with Extendable Pole Length is another corded model that you might enjoy. This is the kind of model you can trust to trim branches of a low hanging tree. The model operates on a 750-watt motor that is durable and offers steady performance.
To deal with these thick branches, you need a strong blade. This one operates on an 8 inch Oregon chain and bar. Basically this design operates with many blades that are systematically attached. With the motor supporting the speed of up to 11 m/s, you are guaranteed to get through thick vegetation with ease. The cutting width can be estimated at 18cm.
This 4.5 kg unit has a telescopic shaft that can be adjusted according to the user’s needs. This shaft can be disengaged from the machine when not needed. The shaft extends from 91 cm-140 cm. Apart from the aluminium shaft, you get two handles and a harness strap to work with. Both have been ergonomically designed to suit your comfort needs.
For easy access, a 10-meter cord is supplied. It is quite long but if you need more reach, rely on extension cords. The unit measures(L) 248 (extended) -183 (not extended) X (W)22.5 X (D)19 cm. It comes with a 2-year warranty that can be activated within the given time.
- Perfect for pruning low hanging trees and thick branches.
- Lightweight and easy to use for conditioned periods.
- Features a long 10-meter cable for easy access.
- Offers an 8 inch Oregon chain and bar for fluid cuts.
- Features a rotating cutting head to tackle growth at different angles.
- Due to the design, the machine gets top-heavy when fully extended. This, in turn, affects balance.
The VonHaus 750W Pole Trimmer / Chainsaw is a dependable model, to say the least. It is easy to assemble since all you have to do is connect them. We like the blades since go through thicker vegetation faster. The 750-watt unit is comfortable to use but needs more physical exertion when fully extended.
This is for those who need a reliable home model for their tall hedges or low hanging tree branches. If well manoeuvred, the hedge trimmer can provide your garden with the neatness that it needs. Since it can be used with or without the extension pole, it proves a versatile tool to have around. It won’t cost you an arm and a leg either.
8. Bosch AMW 10 HS Multi-Tool with Pole Hedge Cutter Attachment
The Bosch AMW 10 HS Multi-Tool with Pole Hedge Cutter Attachment is a 1000 watt hedge trimmer with a sustainable motor and is the most powerful model on our review in terms of power, however, it does not score the highest on performance. The high-quality trimmer can be used to clear out new growth from various levels of bushes. It can be used with other compatible cutting heads like a pruner, brush cutter and grass trimmer but they have to be bought separately and can make it an expensive tool.
Supported by a 43cm blade, this hedge trimmer can clear medium weight vegetation. With a tooth spacing of 15 mm, the trimmer can clear a different variety of hedge plants. This unit does not come with an extension piece as standard so you have to purchase the extension separately to get the full height making it the most expensive model on our review. With the extension, you get an extra 70cm to work with to give you a total height of around 246cm.
The cutting head’s agility is affected by the angles that it can support. This unit proves very much agile by providing 180 degrees of access. This means that you can curve where the hedge curves and you can cut in straight lines if you so wish.
For comfort, the unit has two handles fixed. Both handles have padding that is intended to protect your hands from the brunt of the machine. The auxiliary handle is adjustable so as to fit the height of the current user. At 6.5kg its the heaviest model but as the motor is located at the bottom rather than the top it should not feel too heavy.
- Powerful 1000w motor for high-performance cutting.
- It is versatile and it can be used with various cutting heads such as a strimmer and chainsaw attachments (Purchased Separately) which can save you money and space if you do need all the attachments as you will not need to buy individual machines.
- The powerful cutting head can be pivoted to 180 degrees for better access.
- Features a pair of padded handles for comfort.
- A harness is provided for balancing the hedge trimmers weight.
- 2 years warranty which can be extended to 3 years for free by registering online.
- Additional attachments add to the cost of the item.
- Will prove hard to balance as it is a heavy piece of kit.
Thoughts and recommendations
The Bosch AMW 10 HS Multi-Tool with Pole Hedge Cutter is not the lightest machine you will use. Honesty, it more of a workout and if you read other reviews you will see that the main issue for most people is the weight. Let it not seem like the cutter does not do a good job because it does.
It offers you a variety of cutting heads to work with which makes it versatile. You will have to pay extra for the attachments but it will be worth the while. How you ask? Well if you have all the attachments you can attend to your landscaping needs all under one model and will not have to shell out the full price for a chainsaw and strimmer for trimming the edges of lawns.
Overall it’s not a bad machine and I think you sacrifice the extra weight to have the versatility of a multi-tool. However, if you don’t need a strimmer or chainsaw than one of our other picks would be a better and cheaper option.
Overall though should offer good performance, just a shame about the extra weight but you can take advantage of the 3-year warranty.
In our review of long reach hedge trimmers, we’ve recommended the Bosch Cordless Telescopic Hedge Trimmer as our Best Pick and the BU-KO 52cc Petrol Long Reach Multi-Functional Garden Tool as the Runner-up. Both of these are robust and reliable hedge trimmers in their own right.
In choosing your hedge trimmer, the first question you should ask is what power source – petrol, electric or cordless – is best for your garden needs. In addition, ask yourself if you want a dedicated hedge trimmer or one that’s part of a multi-function tool with other useful garden tools. This should help you make up your mind.
Last update on 2021-01-11 at 16:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API