Last updated on August 10th, 2021
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
The Best Electric Lawn Mowers and Buyer’s Guide
So you went on holiday or you simply didn’t get a chance to mow the lawn soon enough? And now you are finding that your lawn looks like something from a page of the Jungle Book. What most of us do is call the gardener to take care of the mess or invest in a handy electric lawnmower to tackle the lawn ourselves. In the case that you are handling this job for yourself, you will need a trusted lawnmower to work for you. The lawnmower is known for its ability to whip lawns into shape in no time but depending on what model you choose, some of us will be disappointed with the cutting performance. This is a shame as this can be avoided with just a little research.
Depending on the terrain that you reside in, you can always find a model that can adapt. You want to understand what is available on the market and the features available so as to select the right model for your garden. When looking for the best electric lawnmower, remember that quality is everything and features such as grass combs and an easy to change cutting height setting can make a big difference, and the overall experience is simply more enjoyable.
In the past, we have reviewed many different models, from the latest petrol lawnmowers to advanced battery powered cordless models but in this review, we are going to focus on electric lawnmowers that tend to offer more value for money as they are surprisingly very affordable, even for one of the more advanced models.
Before we get into the detailed reviews of our top picks, below you will find a quick overview of our ‘Best Pick’ which is the Black & Decker 1800w Edge Max Mower that we think, overall, is the best electric lawnmower.
OUR BEST PICK
Below are what we found to be the best electric lawnmowers and these are included in our review:
- Black + Decker 1800w Edge-Max 42i Lawnmower – BEST PICK
- Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex Electric Rotary Lawnmower
- Flymo Glider 330 Electric Hover Collect Lawnmower
- Flymo Chevron 34C 34cm Cut Wheeled Electric Lawnmower
- Einhell GE-EM 1233 1250w Electric Rotary Lawnmower
- Mountfield Princess 38 Electric 4 Wheel Rear Roller Lawnmower
- Webb Classic WEER33 ER33 Electric Lawnmower
- Hayter 615 Spirit 41 Push Rear Roller 41cm Electric Lawnmower
On the note of high-quality electric lawnmowers, you have the opportunity to look through nine quality lawnmowers available on the market.
These products have been researched in detail over many hours and are capable of taking care of your lawn needs.
Get your pen and paper just in case you see something you like and feel free to click on the link to view the latest prices.
Electric Lawnmower Reviews
1. Black+Decker 1800w Edge-Max 42i Lawnmower
The BLACK+DECKER 1800w Edge-Max Lawnmower, with its wide 42cm cutting width, one-touch height adjustment and clever grass box peddle for compacting grass efficiently is our ‘Best Pick’ for a number of reasons.
For one, it collects 30% more grass thanks to its large trimmings collection compartment. The 50-litre capacity grass collector will save you time that might have been spent frequently clearing out the trimmings. But what really stands out about the collection box is that there is a peddle that you press with your foot and this shifts the grass to the back of the box and compacts the grass that has already been collected inside the box. It also has a small window to check the contents of the collector so you know when it’s full and ready to empty.
The unit houses a powerful 1800 watt motor that is capable of running for as long as it is required. The higher wattage means that you have more power at your disposal. With the E-drive system, you stand to experience high performance and adequate torque to force the metal blade into quick action and unlike most mowers, it will handle longer grass, even when wet, just remember to start on a higher setting first.
For cutting applications, the mower boasts a wide cutting width of 42cm. This means that you can cover a wide area at any given time. As all good quality lawnmowers go, an easy to change cutting height adjustment is a must. It helps you deal with different heights of grass, many models fail to make changing the cutting height as easy as it could be. You can set the cutting height on this model between 20-70mm to get the right height and all by using a simple one-touch lever to adjust the height so it’s scored extra points here.
The handles on this unit are ergonomically designed to offer you comfort and function. The handles are adjustable to give the user the option of finding a comfortable position when using and these same handles can be folded to provide room for compact storage. If you have less space, you need a unit that has a low footprint. A secondary handle is installed to help the user lift the unit from the ground which is surprisingly lightweight.
As stipulated before, the length of the cable determines how far (and how easily) you can mow and there is nothing more annoying than short cables, especially on a decent-sized mower. This model is supplied with a 16-meter cable, this is long enough to let you wander around small and medium-sized gardens with ease. A cable management system is set up to keep the cord away from your working path, again another simple but worthwhile feature. When you are done, you can wind the cable and store it in the compartment provided.
Those looking for a unit that can effectively mow close to the edge of lawns and against walls and fences need a mower with some kind of grass comb design. This model has what Black + Decker call ‘Edgemax technology’ that ensures you can mow up close making it perfect for these situations. This is a feature cheaper mowers simply do not have. Finally, the low front profile design lets you cut grass under stationary objects e.g. lawn chairs, shrubs, hedges, again a simple but well thought out design.
- A powerful 1800w motor with E-Drive system for maintaining a consistent cutting speed even on long and damp grass.
- Wide 42cm cutting width for larger coverage making it ideal for small and medium-sized gardens.
- 7 cutting height settings that can be adjusted between 20mm and 70mm but one simple soft touch lever.
- ‘Edgemax technology’ that makes it perfect for mowing up agains walls, fences and trees.
- The handle can be adjusted and folded to take up a smaller space (when storing) as well as being adjustable to the user’s height for the comfortability.
- Supplied with a longer than average 16 meter cable that gives you adequate and easy movement around the garden.
- Cable management and storage mechanisms available for convenient storage.
- A large 50 litre capacity grass trimmings collector, this comes with a grass compression system for compacting the grass creating less emptying trips.
- 2 year warranty for full peace of mind.
- Takes a while to setup.
- Quite heavy to lift or manoeuvre around rough terrain.
The BLACK+DECKER 1800w Edge-Max 42i Lawnmower is perfect for mowing small and medium-sized gardens. It has some great features that helped it to win our ‘Best Pick’ spot, for example, we really like the edgemax system ensures you can mow against walls and generally ensures a better cut around the edges of trees etc. The soft touch height adjustment is one of the best examples we have seen as it is not only easy to use (unlike some) it also gives you plenty of cutting heights to choose from.
The unit has a cutting width of 42cm which is wider than most models. The unit is convenient for storage because the handles are foldable, as you would expect, it’s surprisingly compact. You will also appreciate the long cord at 16 meters as most have 10 – 12 meters so it gets extra points there too.
All the features that are in the lawnmower can be fetched at affordable prices making it attainable for most which are something that is a must to win our ‘Best Pick’ spot.
One final feature we really like (and have not seen on other mowers) is the peddle design on the collection box. It flicks the collected grass cuttings to the back of the box and compacts the grass so you can mow for longer and empty less frequently. We wouldn’t like to forget to mention that it also has a handy viewing window so you can see exactly when the box is full.
It does seem that Black + Decker have thought of everything with this model and have done a really good job. The quality is also good and the 2-year warranty is adequate but it would be nice to see an extendable warranty to 3 years like Bosch offer of most of their mowers. All in all a great model, even for mowing damp and long grass.
Talking of Bosch, if you have a little more to spend, then the Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex lawnmower is also a brilliant mower and a great alternative to our best pick. It has a slightly smaller cutting width but is equally as good and has that extra year of warranty.
Compare prices from available retailers
2. Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex Electric Rotary Lawnmower
The Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex Electric Rotary Lawnmower is a powerful corded lawnmower that has been designed with a 1700w motor. This is slightly less power than our ‘Best Pick’ by Black + Decker, but the cutting width is slightly narrower so the performance will be very similar. The motor is designed to offer high performance, driving the blade to cut the grass whenever called upon. One feature this blade does have which the Black + Decker model does not is leaf collection edges on the blade. This simply means it can be used in autumn to collect leaves off the lawn more efficiently. In terms of actual cutting performance, armed with a power drive system, your grass receives an even finish due to the 22Nm torque that is provided by the powerful Bosch motor.
This lightweight 13kg lawnmower has a relatively wide cutting width, this is good news if you have a wider area to cover. The cutting width of 40cm is adequate for small and medium-sized lawns. Another useful feature of this model is the cutting height adjustability. You can adjust the handle to cut grass between 20mm and 70mm, which can also be done with just one handle.
Blades are important as they are responsible for the overall cutting of your lawn. Models like this one that use ground and hardened steel blades usually offer a neat finish. The blades are sharp enough to deal with dry grass but will also handle wet grass. It is fitted with a large 50-litre collection box that (as you have probably realised) is adequate space to contain a substantial amount of cut grass and debris so you can mow for longer and empty less. Long gone are frequent emptying sessions.
If you are worried about leaves collecting on the lawn, no need, for this model has you covered. The unit is designed with a leaf collection function that helps you clean up when Autumn is on duty. This new blade design makes this possible and is found only on the Bosch models. The rubber wheels can handle different kinds of terrain easily.
The combs facilitate even cuts close to the edges just like the Edgemax found on the Black + Decker model, they both basically work in the same way by drawing grass from the edges into the centre towards the blade. Those who thought perfect lawns were not possible can now rethink it.
To make mobility easier, the handles have to be capable of handling the pressure. The Ergoflex handles are also adjustable enabling the user to find the right posture for their height.
All these features come with a 2-year warranty that can be extended to 3 years if the product is registered at myBosch so it is worthwhile doing this for the extra year.
- Powerful 1700w motor for cutting even long and wet grass.
- Wide 40cm cutting width thus wider coverage making it perfect for small and medium-sized lawns.
- Grass combs to ensure you can cut right up to walls and fences and to the very edge of the lawn.
- A large 50 litre capacity collection box that prevents frequent trips to the bin.
- 6 Adjustable cutting heights to deal with different intensities of grass growth.
- Newly designed leaf collection blade for collecting leaves off the lawn.
- Adjustable handles make it easier for the user to be comfortable.
- 2 years warranty that can be extended to 3 years by registering online for full peace of mind.
- Cable is quite short thus limiting reach.
- Instructions need to be simplified for easy digestion.
The Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex Electric Rotary Lawn Mower would do perfectly for small and medium-sized lawns but the cord length is a little limited, however, this is a great alternative to our best pick.
Larger areas would need an extension lead to provide a more adequate reach and this is where Black + Decker has got you covered as the lead is around 5 meters longer.
For the quality of features offered, the price is fair but we still think the Black + Decker model has more to offer, such as a more powerful engine (although the difference is very little) and a grass collection system to compact the grass. However, the Bosch model is lighter for those looking for a lighter alternative.
Admittedly it has an odd negative point, this is the shorter cable that needs to be rectified but all in all, it is a dependable product and does come with an extra year of warranty if you register online. Those in search of a high-quality unit with a large capacity collection bag should certainly consider this model, especially if you are looking for a lighter model.
Compare prices from available retailers
3. Flymo Glider 330 Electric Hover Lawnmower
The Flymo Glider 330 Electric Hover mower is designed to offer consistent performance whilst being incredibly easy to move around as it hovers on a cushion of air effortlessly. This mower has a 1450w motor, this is the second most powerful motor that Flymo do, and it would do well for small and medium-sized lawns although the cable length of 12 meters may be a little short for some medium-sized lawns depending on the size.
The cutting width is a good indicator of how much grass you can cut at any given time. The approximated cutting width of this unit is 33cm, so it is smaller than both the Black + Decker and Bosch mowers. Whilst it is not the widest it is more than adequate for smaller lawns.
Like most good lawn mowers on the market, this machine is equipped with an adjustable cutting height. This lets you select the best cutting height according to the growth level. The adjustability ranges from 12 to 32mm in 4 stages which limits the machine when dealing with tall grass. Another downside is that its not as easy to change the cutting height as on other lawnmowers. This is because you will need to use a spanner (which is included) to add space or remove it from underneath the blade, so once you have the cutting height set, it really needs to be kept at that height, which is not a problem if you mow your lawn regularly, say every 1 or 2 weeks.
The handles are ergonomically designed in order to offer comfort to the user as they work. The 10kg hover unit is easy to store because the handle can be folded on top of the mower. When this occurs the unit is engaged in a compact form so is very easy to store in a small space.
Most mowers you find will have a collection box fitted to collect grass clippings and this unit comes with an easy to use grass box. When the grass box is full, the user will be able to empty easily. Thanks to the vision window installed, you can easily see when it needs emptying. The 29-litre grass box is not the largest and therefore may need emptying more often if you are working on a larger area. However, the mower does compact the grass into the collection box.
The lawnmower comes with a 12-meter power cable. Unlike models that suffer from short cords, this one offers you adequate reach in comparison to similar mowers that only have 10-meter cables. Finally, this model comes with a metal blade for better performance and durability and comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Ideal for small and medium-sized lawns.
- Powerful 1450w motor and a 33cm cutting width and metal blade.
- Folds down into a compact shape making it easy to store.
- Easy to detach and empty the grass box with a clear viewing window.
- Long 12 meter cable thus facilitating an easier reach whilst working.
- Lightweight at only 9.9kg and easy to hover around on the grass.
- Made in the UK and comes ready to use out of the box.
- 2 years warranty for full peace of mind.
- The handle is not adjustable therefore inconvenient for some users.
- May prove challenging on bumpier terrains.
The Flymo Glider 330 Electric Hover mower is perfect for those who want a lightweight unit for smaller gardens and at an affordable price. Whilst it does not have a large motor in comparison to both the Black + Decker and Bosch models, it does seem to have more than enough power. The cutting width is slightly smaller at 33cm but it is adequate to cover small areas in an adequate length of time.
We love the simplified grass box as it does compact the grass and has a nice viewing window as well as being super easy to empty and install.
The hover mechanism works well unless your lawn is very bumpy and not level. Overall this mower is reliable and easy to use, making this lawnmower a lightweight wonder that is perfect for small lawns, especially for those who struggle with heavier mowers.
Compare prices from available retailers
4. Flymo Chevron 34C Wheeled Electric Lawnmower
The Flymo Chevron 34C Wheeled Electric LawnMower is another dependable lawnmower by a reputable brand. Flymo are usually associated with hover mowers so how does this wheeled model compare? The 12kg unit is designed to have wheels that facilitate easy mobility, the wheels are durable so as to keep up with any bumps on the way.
This mower is fitted with high-quality metal blades that are designed to last and are much better than the older models, some of which had plastic blades. The blades are designed and sharpened to provide an even cut across the board. Armed with a 1400w motor, the unit is capable of handling wide areas with ease.
For the cutting width, the lawnmower is adequately fitted. The approximated cutting width is 34cm which is wider than most regular units have to offer. A lever is fitted just above the wheel to help you adjust the cutting height and acquire the right finish. You can manoeuvre between 20mm and 65mm in 5 steps and it is very easy to do.
Handles make manoeuvring easy especially if the weight measurements of the unit are high. This unit is equipped with an adjustable handle that enables the user to get a comfortable stance. The handle also folds to form a compact unit for easy storage. Those pressed for space will appreciate this convenient feature.
A collection compartment has been installed for facilitating easy grass cutting collection. The 40-litre capacity collector is easy to empty when full because of the slotted design, and the mower also compacts the grass into the collection box so you spend more time mowing and less time emptying.
If you look behind the lawnmower, you will find that this model is fitted with a roller. The function of the roller is to mark the grass with the traditional stripes and facilitates neater edges. This is a feature a lot of people look for so it’s good to see they have fitted a roller to this model.
When you are done with work, you can safely store the long 12-meter cable in the slot provided in the handles. Also, you can pick up the machine physically using the secondary handle provided as it is very lightweight at only around 10kg.
- Ideal for small and medium-sized lawns with a 34cm cutting width.
- Fitted with a powerful 1400w motor.
- It has provisions for cable storage making things simpler.
- Contains adjustable handles and 5 cutting heights so that the user has operational options.
- Comes with a roller to give an even and neat striped look.
- Foldable for easy storage arrangements.
- Large capacity grass collector with an easy to empty design.
- 2 years warranty for full peace of mind.
- Takes a while to set up and the grass collection box feels a little fragile.
- Instruction manual needs reviewing for better understanding.
The Flymo Chevron 34C Cut Wheeled Electric Lawnmower is a space-saving unit and a great alternative to our best pick for someone with a smaller lawn.
The unit is not too heavy to manoeuvre around within the garden since it is fitted with wheels and is fairly lightweight. Therefore, it won’t be too much strain on your muscles. The lawnmower has a large 40-litre capacity grass collector making it good for smaller lawns as you should only need to empty the grass box a couple of times.
All these features contribute to a well working machine that does not cost an arm and a leg. We doubt you will regret getting this mower since it is of good quality but it is worth noting it does not have grass combs for mowing right up to walls which would be a good improvement on the design.
Compare prices from available retailers
5. Einhell GE-EM 1233 1250w Electric Rotary Lawnmower
The Einhell GE-EM 1233 1250W Electric Rotary Lawnmower is a well-designed lawnmower that can cover up to 300m2, making it perfect for small and medium-sized lawns. The high quality 1250w motor will power the metal blade with enough torque to make clean cuts even on long and wet grass. The 1250w unit is able to work consistently without breaking down or clogging, unlike the lower quality models we are now seeing being imported from China at similar prices.
Being that coverage is important, a wide cutting width will serve you well. This machine comes with a cutting width of 33cm. This, when compared to other models, is not too wide but it will serve small and medium-sized lawns very well. Although this mower doesn’t have grass combs it does have a cutting deck that extends out further than the wheels which ensure neat edges near fences and walkways.
To deal with short or long grass, you need a mower that has cutting height adjustment systems, ideally with just one lever. This model is one such lawnmower. It is designed to adjust the cutting height from 20 to 60mm for tackling longer grass. The handle can be folded for compact storage. This space-saving feature will be of aid to those who are pressed for space.
Most lawnmowers weigh a considerable amount of weight. This model houses wide wheels to prevent deep tracks from appearing on your lawn. A secondary handle is fitted to help the user carry the mower to storage. You shall also find a cable clip to prevent the cable from coming to any harm as you work. The total weight is around 11kg so it’s fairly lightweight making it easy to carry.
For grass collection after cutting, a collection container is supplied. The collector is fitted with a level indicator. This helps you keep in the back of your mind when it is time to empty. Also with this machine, you get a 10-meter cable. For 300m2 that is an adequate cord to cover that area. Finally, it does have a mulching plug so you can mow the lawn and not collect, this can add nutrients back onto the lawn for a healthier lawn but we only recommend doing this on short grass.
- Power carbon 1250w motor for optimum cutting performance.
- 33cm cutting width and 5 adjustable height settings, ranging from 20mm to 60mm.
- Wide mowing deck to cut right up against walls and fences.
- Foldable handle for easy storage options.
- Wide wheels enable balance and leave low tracks if any.
- Fitted with a cable clip to avoid damaging the cable.
- Grass box comes with an indicator to remind the operator of the container volume.
- Lightweight therefore easy to manoeuvre.
- Lacks an adjustable handle to suit height differences.
- Lacks a roller for stripe applications.
- Power cable a little short.
The Einhell GE-EM 1233 1250W Electric Rotary Lawnmower with 33cm cutting width is as simple as it gets. For the price fetched you get some great features and it is clearly well designed. You get to enjoy simple edging features such as the wide cutting deck that make cutting right up to a fence or wall easy.
For those who need a light machine that is not too costly, this one would do well. Those who need a unit with adjustable handles can try the Flymo Chevron 34C Electric Lawn Mower which is similar.
As it is from the lower end of the lawnmower market the shell might become vulnerable over time and start wearing away as it’s only made from plastic.
Overall a great little mower we would think would be a great fit for mowing smaller gardens only as the 10-meter cable is a little short for anything bigger.
Compare prices from available retailers
6. Mountfield Princess 38 Electric 4 Wheel Rear Roller Lawnmower
The Mountfield Princess 38 Electric Rear Roller Lawnmower is designed to fit in with modern times and is a high-quality mower for those looking for the very best in performance and quality. It is fitted with a powerful 1600 watt motor that is capable of producing enough torque to affect the metal blade’s clean cut.
This mower is one of the only 3 in 1 mowers we have included in our review and can cut and collect, dispatch the clippings at the back or mulch and return to the lawn which will add nutrients to the lawn.
The cutting width of this lawnmower is 38cm (15 inches). This can cover medium-sized lawns without a problem and it has a long 15-meter cable to ensure you have enough reach. Those who need height cutting adjustment features (which is all of us), you are covered. The cutting height can be adjusted easily with a simple lever and set between 25 and 75mm in 6 steps. This feature is controlled from a single point that is easy to access. Stop and adjust at any time.
To help you feel comfortable, the lawnmower is fitted with an ergonomic handle. The user is able to push the machine without experiencing aching muscles. The unit only weighs 15kgs so it’s not the lightest mower but is still light enough to be easily picked up when needed for transporting or carrying up and down steps.
The rear wheels are wide to provide adequate support and prevent unwanted tracks. Even on unstable terrain, the unit is able to manoeuvre well.
As we have already mentioned briefly, with this lawnmower, you get 3 options when it comes to dealing with grass clippings. There is the mulching option where the grass is cut finely and reintegrated onto the ground. There is the collection option where a 40-litre collector is provided. The collector has a see-through window where the user can see if the collector is full. Finally, you have the option to just let the clippings get discharged from the rear which you can rake up later or leave.
Unlike most other electric mowers, this model has a roller that can be found at the back so as to give your lawn that striped look. At the front of the lawnmower there are combs that help the mower cut the grass evenly and make it possible to mow to the edge of walls etc.
You need not worry about having limited reach due to a short cord. This model is supplied with a durable 15-meter cord. You can move a long distance without needing the support of electric extensions or adapters. You also get a 1-year warranty to gain confidence in the product. If issues arise within the warranty period, the manufacturer is liable.
- High quality mower for medium-sized lawns and powerful motor.
- Provides you with 3 options for grass clippings disposal – cut and collect, cut and dispatch at the rear, cut and mulch.
- Designed with a roller to offer striped effect.
- Wide 38cm cutting width and 6 cutting height settings that can be set from 25mm to 75mm.
- Supplied with a long 15 meter cable for unrestricted access.
- Clear window fitted to help the user keep track of clipping levels.
- Easy to assemble and store due to foldable handles.
- 1 year warranty for full peace of mind.
- We found a few complaints regarding the rear roller becoming faulty but was fixed under warranty from what we have seen during our research.
- Lacks a secondary handle for easy lifting.
The Mountfield Princess 38 Electric 4 Wheel Rear Roller Lawnmower is a high powered unit that has been manufactured to the highest standards and is perfect for small and medium-sized lawns.
With 1600 watts at your disposal, your lawn will receive the service it needs. Admittedly, the cutting width is wider than some of the units in this review. This means it can cover more ground which is good.
We like that assembly is not difficult and that the handle can be folded for storage purposes. The unique feature of this lawnmower is that it offers you 3 options for grass clippings with the mulching option being the stand out feature. These options give you, the user, a constructive way to deal with your clippings.
Overall this lawnmower is capable, to say the least. Check out the Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex Electric Rotary Lawn Mower if you need something stronger with lesser weight but it does lack a rear roller.
Compare prices from available retailers
7. Webb Classic WEER33 ER33 Electric Lawnmower
The Webb WEER33 ER33 Lawnmower is adaptable to small lawns and is a good value low cost model but with great performance making it perfect for small and medium-sized lawns. The unit has a high functioning motor that operates on 1300 watts which is powerful for a smaller mower. The blade depends on the motor to cut through difficult cuts of grass. The lightweight model is easy to work with because the user can steer the machine around corners with ease.
Lawnmowers that can be folded into compact forms make storage accessible. The Webb lawnmower has an easy push and fit handle to avail the unit for storage. Another handle has been placed on the front to assist the user when lifting the unit during storage. Being that it weighs an estimated 9kgs it shouldn’t be too heavy to lift or wheel it along.
The lawnmower has a cutting width of 33cm. That is adequate for small and medium-sized lawns depending on how far you want to stretch the limits. Also in the same model, you will find cutting height adjustment mechanisms that can be adjusted from 25-65mm. The height adjustment mechanism can all be controlled from one place with a simple lever like on other similar mowers.
To collect the trimmings as you go on working, a 33-litre collection box is supplied. The box can easily be emptied when full by using the handle to dislodge the contents. You also get 10 meters of cord to work with which is adequate for small lawns.
Overall a great little mower and comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Wide 33cm cutting width and 5 cutting heights ranging from 25mm to 65mm.
- Lightweight at around 9kg, easy to handle and fitted with a powerful 1300 watt motor.
- The handles can be folded for compact storage.
- Can be purchased at an affordable price.
- 2 year warranty for full peace of mind.
- No problems to report, cable a little short for medium-sized gardens, especially when you consider it comes with a powerful 1300w motor which would be ideal for medium-sized lawns.
The Webb WEER33 ER33 Lawnmower is another simple but yet dependable model. The lawnmower features a cutting width of 33cm with cutting height adjustable settings.
The cutting width is not so wide which is why it is adaptable to small lawns. The lightweight unit comes with all the required features to make it easy to use. The foldable handles make storage easier for those who are pressed for space. There isn’t much to say other than it is a simple product. Those in search of a simple inexpensive unit may jot this one down as a consideration but only if you have a small lawn.
Compare prices from available retailers
8. Hayter 615 Spirit 41cm Push Rear Roller Electric Lawnmower
The Hayter 615 Spirit 41 Electric Mower is probably the best electric lawnmower we have ever reviewed and when it is compared to other models it is certainly a heavyweight at around 29kg. Hayter lawnmowers are commonly used by professional gardeners and garden maintenance companies. They are usually petrol powered but are known to be the very best lawnmowers in terms of quality and performance and they are the Rolls Royce of lawnmowers.
This electric Hayter is powered by a powerful 1500w ABT induction motor that runs surprisingly quietly for its size and this is combined with a ribbed rear roller for a striped lawn. The torque needed to cut the grass effectively is produced by the high-performance motor. The motor and the other parts are concealed and protected by an aluminium chassis and polymer casing that is impact resistant. This keeps the mower as light as possible whilst still being very robust.
For the cutting width, the lawnmower has a wide 41cm cutting deck which makes it perfect for medium and larger gardens and unlike most models, this one comes with a very long 17-meter cable, that is 7 meters longer than most other models so you don’t need to worry about reach with this lawnmower. Being that the cutting diameter cannot be forgotten, you can also adjust the cutting height through 7 steps from 13mm for a short cut to 65mm for longer grass and all this is done with a simple easy to change lever.
Foldable handles are essential for storage. The less space occupied by a large unit like this, the better. The handles are designed ergonomically to provide both comfort and function. There is no secondary handle to assist in lifting the unit, therefore, one has to improvise. Durable wheels are present to make mobility and manoeuvrability a walk in the park.
The grass bag cannot be missed since it is quite large. It is designed to hold 55 litres of trimmings which means that trips to the compost bin will be fewer. You can decide to collect the trimmings or let them fall freely back to the lawn.
A roller will be there to smooth things out and to give your lawn that popular and eye-catching striped finish. Be careful not to step or run over the 17-meter cable provided.
Finally to finish off an already reliable and well-built product it comes with Hayter’s three-year consumer warranty for full peace of mind.
- Perfect for medium and larger lawns thanks to its wide 41cm (16 inch) cutting width and powerful 1500w induction motor with 7 cutting heights.
- Long 17 meter power cord to provide easier reach, even on larger gardens.
- Large 55 litre grass collection box to prevent frequent emptying.
- It has foldable handles for easy storage.
- Rear ribbed roller for leaving distinctive stripes on the lawn.
- Lightweight aluminium chassis and polymer cutting deck which is very robust.
- Comes with Hayter’s three-year consumer warranty for full peace of mind.
- Quite heavy to handle for some.
- Quite expensive.
The Hayter 615 Spirit 41 Electric mower is designed to mow larger areas and if you have a big lawn you probably won’t find a better electric lawnmower.
Simply put, this is way ahead of the competition, the only downside is that it is expensive, three times more than some of the cheaper mowers.
The 17-meter cable gives you more freedom than all the other models we have seen and has the most cutting heights with 7 different settings.
The heavy machine is fitted with standard type front wheels to help the user steer the unit in the right direction while the rear ribbed roller does its best to imprint those stripes on the lawn which will be the talking point.
Buying this lawnmower for a small lawn will be a little overkill but if you have a medium-sized or larger lawn then this model is probably the best electric mower you will find and it includes 3 years warranty.
The only downside of this model and why it was not the winner of our ‘Best Pick’ is its price, it is probably not within everybody’s budget but if you do have the budget you will not be disappointed.
Compare prices from available retailers
The Buyer’s Guide
In the search for a reliable electric lawnmower, it is only prudent that you understand what you are looking for. It narrows down the search from a hundred different options to just a select few.
The features tell you what the lawnmower can do and to what degree. Below is a guide whose intention is to provide information on what to look for when seeking to purchase the best electric lawnmower. We shall try and make it short and pleasant.
- Propelled or pushed? – This is a matter of personal preference since both models will work perfectly fine. The push models are more used since they are less expensive. The self-propelled models used automated systems to push forward and cut the grass. They are more aggressive than the push models when dealing with tougher cuts of grass. Depending on your pocket and overall working preference, select wisely. To be honest, you will not find many electric self-propelled mowers and none of the mowers which we have reviewed are self-propelled. Most self-propelled models are actually petrol driven.
- Cutting width specifications – Want to know how much ground you can cover in one pass? Check the cutting width. The wider the cutting width, the more ground you are able to cover at a given time. You will find units with small cutting widths. The smaller cutting widths work well when used on smaller lawns or in tighter spaces. If used on large lawns, you might take a long while to finish. For normal sized units, a cutting width ranging from 30cm is not too large to work with. Look at the size of the lawn and select a cutting width that won’t take you a whole day to work with.
- Cutting height adjustment – Different people prefer their lawns to have different levels of grass. Some prefer their lawns with really short grass while others enjoy a little height for padding. To keep up with these demands, manufacturers put the power in your hands. They do so by providing cutting height adjustment mechanisms. This allows the user to adjust the blade positioning and therefore cuts the grass accordingly. There are lawnmowers that come with several adjustment settings and others that are equipped with less. The feature is important for those who need perfect lawns at all times.
- Weight and size – The size of the unit indicates how much work can be done. Lightweight lawnmowers are preferred for light and non-invasive grass trimming. Heavier units have large motors and bodies which contribute to the weight. A machine whose deck is made of lightweight material won’t be heavy. A unit fitted with an all metal casing will indeed be heavy. The larger the motor, the larger the deck and therefore the larger the unit. The size of the work to be done is directly proportional to the size and weight of the lawn mower in question.
- Trimming collection – The grass that has been trimmed off has to go somewhere. Most models on the market offer three major options to deal with the trimmings. One can either let the trimmings be released to the side of the mower, let the mower turn it to mulch or collect it for disposal. Most people prefer to mulch or collect the trimmings because it creates a neater finish. Consider the best option for the area you live in since some modes work better than others. Mulching is suitable for those with limited disposal options.
- Safety and storage features – Safety is a key feature of any piece of equipment. A common feature is the safety lock. This feature allows capable operators to handle the unit making it safe around children and pets. Since children lack the muscle mass to apply the needed pressure, the machine remains inactive. Other safety features may include cable management that allows the user to work without tripping on the wire. You’ll meet models that have guards that prevent rubble from getting stuck and causing damage to the blade.A storage option that is seen in many advanced models is the foldable handle. The handles fold to form a compact unit that can store away with ease. Other models provide structures that can be used to wind the cord on and keep it away from harm when it is not in use.
- Price and warranty – Most units avail warranties to their customers since it says that the manufacturer has confidence in the product. The longer the warranty, the more assurance you get from the product. The price of the product is affected by the number of features provided and the overall quality of the material. Lower cost units will be effective but only for a short time. They are not built to survive the long haul, more durable units come at a cost since you are paying for length and quality of service. Make calculations to understand how much you can afford then purchase within the set budget.
New models of lawnmowers are introduced to the market on a regular basis. As a consumer, the best thing to do is to understand how lawnmowers work. If you understand how they work, you will be able to keep up with the features that are introduced in new models.
The scale of the work to be done and the power needed will guide you to selecting the other features accordingly. Those after edging features and rollers should make inquiries about them before purchasing the unit. Read ratings and reviews to make informed decisions on prospective buys.
Below is a quick round-up of 2 of our favourite models.
After careful consideration and careful scrutiny, we came to the conclusion that the Black + Decker 1800w Edge-Max LawnMower was the best lawnmower for most people. This is because it is designed to have a wide cutting width that allows the user to save time and is perfect for both smaller and medium-sized gardens, it has lots of features and comes at an affordable price as well as a generous warranty.
The unit also has a long cable for easy reach and a large capacity collector for uninterrupted work. The unit is not very expensive and the quality is commendable. There is not much more we can ask for; the lawnmower has all the required features and a cutting performance to match.
BEST HEAVYWEIGHT PICK
This model by Hayter is able to handle heavy applications and larger gardens and our top heavyweight pick goes to none other than the Hayter 615 Spirit 41 Electric Mower. With its wider 41cm cutting width and rear roller, this 29kg unit is designed with a wide cutting width to cover wider ground in one pass and has the longest power cable of any mower we have seen.
A large capacity collector will take up to 55 litres of grass trimmings. You can work for a while without stopping. Those looking for a durable heavy and dependable lawn mower have found a friend in this model. Probably one of the best electric lawnmowers currently available but also one of the most expensive.
We hope that this has been one of the more enjoyable electric lawn mower reviews that you have come across. Now you are able to tell which features will work best for your lawn we hope your are able to select the best electric lawnmower from our list.
Last update on 2022-03-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API