Last updated on February 16th, 2022
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
We look at 3 tools that will help keep your garage clean, tidy and dust free
As a homeowner, it is definitely your goal to keep every part of your home clean and spotless. Most people usually pay attention only to the inside of their home, ignoring their garage because it is difficult to clean and let’s face it, often very dusty.
Granted, cleaning a garage might seem like an uphill task, however, if you have the right tools and cleaning products, it is going to be easier for you and it is rewarding to see a spotless garage.
It doesn’t matter whether you use your garage as a storage space or use it as a home office to work from, it is important that you spend some time cleaning and organising it on a regular basis. See, the garage is just as important as any other part of your home. So, keeping it clean should always be on your to-do list and it’s much easier to do it regularly than doing it once a year.
In this article, we are going to take a look at how you can effectively use a wall-mounted vacuum cleaner, a pressure washer and a deck brush to clean your garage. Yes, there are many other cleaning tools out there, including dust extractor vacuums, but these three are somewhat different.
Why? Well, it’s because they are easy to use and super effective, especially when it comes to removing tough stains.
Presently, there are different types of vacuum cleaners on the market, but the wall-mounted vacuum cleaner is a bit different. Unlike others, the WMVC sucks in air. This means that it can easily suck up anything that will fit through its hose.
Another thing that sets them apart from regular vacuums is that they can be mounted on a wall or any hard surface. Also, they come with a long hose, different suction power and different attachments.
Wall-mounted vacuums are used by many to clean debris, sawdust from wood and other messy materials. They can also be used to clean the interior of cars.
You can use them to suck anything up that will fit through their hose, with the exception of liquid. For this, some dust extractors will do the job or even a wet and dry vacuum. Wall mounted vacuum cleaners are simply not designed to suck up liquid or semi-liquid substances so just bear this in mind, however, this is probably not a problem for most people anyway.
There are different models of wall-mounted vacuum cleaners on the market. Choosing among them is likely going to be a challenge for you because you don’t know which one will be best for you. Below are some things you need to consider before making a purchase.
- Attachments – Different models come with different attachments so shop around to get the attachments you require.
- Hose length – Choose a long enough hose to cover your entire garage space.
- Size – Select the size carefully to match the size of your garage and the suction needed.
- Motor – More power means more suction.
- Capacity – A large capacity means less emptying.
To keep your wall mounted vacuum cleaner in top-notch condition, you will need to clean its filtration system from time to time, as with all vacuums.
Using a pressure washer to clean your garage floor is a lot easier than using other traditional methods. Oil stains, tough dirt and small debris can effortlessly be removed with the aid of a pressure washer, some models even come with a patio cleaner attachment that is great for cleaning garage doors because they reduce splashback.
There are two main types of pressure washers:
- The hot wash version
- The cold wash version
The cold wash version is cheaper because it doesn’t heat water, however, when it is combined with a good detergent, it nearly always does the job done just as well as the hot wash pressure washers.
Power washers are more expensive because of the heating coil embedded in them. As they are quite expensive, it might be a wise decision to either rent them or settle for a standard cold pressure washer.
To choose between these two, you will need to consider these factors:
- The size of your garage.
- Your budget – We found that a good entry level pressure washer will set you back around £100, with an all-singing all-dancing model costing upwards of £400 for an electric model that comes with a self contained detergent tank and a longer hose.
- The nature of the stains or dirt in your garage – Choose a higher psi rating for more power. Some models, such as those by Karcher come with a dirt buster lance attachment for this purpose.
The use of power washers is not limited to your garage. You can also use them to clean your lawn, driveway, roof and any other part of your home that is covered with mould and tough to remove stains.
Before buying or renting a power washer, it is important that you learn how to use it correctly. A pressure washer can cause serious damage to the skin or certain materials, so safety precautions are absolutely necessary.
A deck brush is a tool every homeowner needs to have in their garage. Of course, you can use a push broom or any other brush to clean your garage floor, however, the deck brush is designed solely for this purpose.
The deck brush is just like a push broom, but if you take a closer look at it you will notice that it is tougher. Most deck brushes on the market have a handle hole where you can easily insert a broom handle into. With the handle, you can use it for intense scrubbing. However, you can also use it with your hands if you need. So, if your garage is covered with tough stains or dirt, then a deck brush will be perfect for you. Learning how to use a deck brush correctly will save you a lot of time and energy.
Below are a couple of things you should do before using a deck brush to clean your garage:
- Remove everything that is not anchored down to your garage floor.
- Cover any drywall with plastic.
- Sweep out dirt, leaves and other debris.
- Find a good cleaning agent (detergent), mix it with hot water and pour it onto your garage floor.
- Use your deck brush to scrub the floor.
- Allow to fully dry out and give it one final brush followed by a vacuum to pick up any dust left over.
To keep your garage neat and organised, you need to make a commitment to clean it on a regular basis. Dedicate a day or two to cleaning your garage every month.
Bear in mind that your garage will never look great if it is packed full with different stuff. Sell, donate or recyle items you don’t use if possible and don’t become a hoarder. Any item that are left should be neatly arranged.
Below are some ways to organise the items in your garage:
- Wall pegs – For tools and items you use regularly. Using wall pegs will keep tools off the floor and also free up space.
- Plastic bins – Used for storage of almost anything. They are also great for storing pet food or bird seed, keeping the mice out.
- Cabinets and lockers – They are perfect for storing items that are precious or important to you. They also help organise tools to keep them neat and tidy.
If your garage is dark or you find it difficult to locate items, then you should consider changing the bulb in your garage to a brighter one, or add more lighting. We also recommend getting a good garage heater if you plan on working in your garage.
We truly hope you’ll find the tips above useful and applicable to your own garage. Whether you decide to buy some special cleaning tools or just several plastic bins to reorganise items in your garage, it will definitely transform it into a better place. Don’t forget garages can make a great home office or workshop, especially with a little heat added for extra comfort.