Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
Last updated on December 1st, 2020
Choosing the Best Patio Cleaner and Top 5 Models to Consider
Are you too embarrassed to entertain family and friends on your patio because it looks grungy? Is dirt or mould embedded in the patio floor? Have you tried using a pressure washer but even that didn’t bring back the as-new look?
What you need is a patio cleaner, perhaps along with the pressure washer. If you’re curious about pressure washers, check out our review “Best Pressure Washer for your Patio”.
This review of the best patio cleaners explains what to look for in a patio cleaner and evaluates the best cleaners on the market. The best patio cleaner will help you easily remove the dirt, moss and mould that’s growing in places on your patio you’d rather it didn’t.
Our Best Pick of patio cleaners is Smartseal 5L Patio Clean Xtreme. It not only gets rid of mould and moss, but it cleans the stones or bricks as well.
The Runner-up Pick is Ultima-Plus XP Moss, Mould & Algae Killer. This patio cleaner is effective in removing unwanted moss, mould and algae but doesn’t clean at the same time.
No matter how bad your patio looks, using one of the patio cleaners in this review will help to restore it towards its former glory. And you can start having outdoor barbeques and parties again.
This is not an environmentally friendly cleaner as it contains chlorine. You just have to be safety aware and keep your clothes and plants out of its way when it’s wet.
The Ultima-Plus XP removes algae, moss and mould. At the recommended concentration of 9 parts water to 1 part cleaner (9:1 dilution), you can make over 50 litres of solution from one 5-litre jug. This amount covers 400m2 of patio floor.
The Ultima-Plus XP Moss, Mould & Algae Killer is our Runner-up Pick and we recommend it if you want to kill off moss, mould and algae from your patio.
Best 6 patio cleaners which we review
- Smartseal 5-L Patio Clean Xtreme
- Ultima-Plus XP Moss, Mould & Algae Killer
- Wet & Forget – Moss Mould Lichen & Algae Remover
- Jarder Concentrate Spray & Leave Cleaner
- Pro-Kleen Mould, Algae & Moss Remover
- Patio Magic! Green Mould and Algae Killer Liquid Concentrate Patio Cleaner
Top 6 Patio Cleaner Reviews
1. Smartseal 5L Patio Clean Xtreme
The Smartseal 5L Patio Clean Xtreme is a professional-grade cleaning product that makes your patio look less grimy and tired. The Smartseal patio cleaner is a highly concentrated cleaner that works on natural stone, paving slab, crazy paving and paving block floors. It quickly removes dirt, algae, lichen and moss, along with black and white moulds. You don’t even need to use a pressure washer along with this cleaner.
The first step in using the Smartseal cleaner is to decide if you need to dilute it. Five litres of the concentrated solution treats approximately 40m2 of the patio when diluted. Create a solution of 1 part water and 1 part concentrate (1:1 solution) for most cleaning jobs. If you’re trying to get rid of black spot, then use the solution at full strength.
Applying the Smartseal solution is straightforward. Sweep away the loose debris and hose down the surface to make it wet. Smartseal works only in damp or wet conditions. Apply the cleaner using a watering can or sprayer and work it into the patio with a broom. Leave it on for up to one hour and then rinse off the patio. If it’s a hot day, make sure to keep the patio damp while the cleaner is on it. If not everything (dirt, moss, algae, mould) is removed, reapply the cleaner and leave it on for a longer period. Alternatively, apply the cleaner undiluted to the remaining stubborn stains and leave as before.
Be aware that the Smartseal cleaner isn’t friendly to vegetation. If some of the cleaner gets on your plants, rinse them down very well. As always, wear gloves and avoid contact with skin.
- Professional grade cleaning product for a deep clean.
- Cleans sandstone and brick surfaces.
- Spray on, wait, rinse off process is quick and easy.
- No pressure washing needed, saving time and effort.
- 5-litre jug covers 40m2 at 1:1 dilution.
- Cleans most of what gets on your patio – black spot, algae, lichens, moss and dirt.
- Harmful to vegetation and takes the colour out of clothing.
- Contains chlorine; smells strongly.
- Reviewers say that it’s best to leave the cleaner on for a few hours.
- Expensive compared to some other patio cleaners.
The Smartseal 5-L Patio Clean Xtreme is a strong patio cleaner that removes grime, moss, lichen and mould from brick and stone patios. At the recommended 1:1 dilution, this cleaner covers 40m2 of patio floor. The application process is easy (spray on, wait, rinse off) though reviewers have stated that the cleaner didn’t do its work in the recommended time and that they had to leave it on for longer.
The Smartseal patio cleaner needs to be wet/moist/damp to work, so it’s important to water down the patio before you start. You also need to keep it wet while it’s on the patio so you’ll need to monitor the situation and mist the patio with the hose as needed.
As this cleaner contains chlorine, it smells rather strongly of bleach and will take out the colour of any clothing it splashes on. It’s also harmful to plants. Make sure to rinse away any cleaning solution that lands on the lawn, plants and flowers around your patio.
The strength of this cleaner and its effectiveness in removing tough stuff from the patio as well as cleaning the stones make the Smartseal 5-L Patio Clean Xtreme the Best Pick in our best patio cleaners review.
2. ULTIMA-PLUS XP Patio Cleaner
RUNER-UP – For All Outdoor Hard Surfaces Including Patio, Fencing & Decking
The Ultima-Plus XP Moss, Mould & Algae Killer is very effective and will definitely get the job done and is our top recommended patio cleaner. Recommended for outdoor use, the highly concentrated cleaner will get rid of all the unwanted algae, moss, mould and even kill moss.
With a 5-litre container covering an area of 400m2, you can get a minimum of 50 litres and a maximum of 90 litres when mixed at the weakest recommended ratio. Depending on the size of the area to be administered, dilute according to directions. The idea is that the higher the concentration, the more effective the solution is. The diluting ratio is 1:9 which ensures that you can cover the right areas.
The solutions contain no acids or bleach but still remains effective in exterminating extra growth. It is biodegradable and once it has dried, you can let your family play out on the patio. It is recommended that you use gloves if you have very sensitive skin but we would personally advise you wear gloves anyway.
- Simply apply and walk away and see results in 3 days.
- Can be used on all hard surfaces including paving, concrete, garden furniture, sheds, roofs, decking, fences and any other hard surface.
- Can be diluted so as to create more algae/moss cleaning solution.
- Biodegradable, thus environmentally safe.
- Includes no bleach or caustic substances that can affect surfaces.
- Safe for pets and children once dried.
- May take a 2 or 3 applications for the most stubborn stains.
Thoughts and recommendations
The Ultima-Plus XP Moss, Mould & Algae Killer is cheaper than most products featured in this review yet it certainly one of the best patio cleaners we have seen. Another one marked for outdoor use, it is biodegradable, non-caustic and therefore is safe to use all around and even pets can go onto treated areas once dry which on a summers day would be within an hour.
You can dilute it as you please to achieve the best results but work within safe limits. It offers you value for your money. After careful consideration, we decided this brand deserved to be awarded our ‘Runner-up’ spot and with over 80 reviews, mostly positive reviews on Anmazon.co.uk its easy to see why. If you’re unsure which to try, this is worth trying and most will find it very effective.
3. Wet & Forget – Moss Mould Lichen & Algae Remover
The Wet & Forget – Moss Mould Lichen & Algae Remover needs no hard work and is very similar to our ‘Best Pick’ and is a great alternative. All you have to do is dilute 1 part concentrate with 5 parts water, spray it and forget about it. On days that you are away from the property, this is especially useful. Why? This is because the detergent embeds itself on the patio and can be reactivated whenever it rains.
This slow method of killing off mould and algae is simple and attainable. The patio cleaner is not acidic or caustic. You will also find no traces of bleach meaning that you don’t have to breathe in toxic fumes or worry about the environment and wildlife. It is biodegradable and has a PH of 7 which is stable enough not to harm your skin or surface.
The 5-litre container is able to treat around 100-300m2. This all depends on the surface that you are dealing with. This cleaner is not a magic wand that can take problems away in an instance, it may take some time if the stains are deeply engrained. The detergent is not only tied down to patios, but you can also use it anywhere which means it can be used on paths, patios, wooden decking, garden furniture, planters, caravans.
- Simply mix with water, apply to the area and walk away, in 2 free days you should see the results.
- Does not have acidic or caustic elements, therefore, cannot damage the surface.
- Needs little or no maintenance after the first application.
- It is biodegradable, thus environmentally friendly.
- Saves energy as manual scrubbing is not needed.
- Safe for pets and children once applied.
- It is not fast-acting.
Thoughts and recommendations
The Wet & Forget – Moss Mould Lichen & Algae Remover is a great alternative for to our ‘Best Pick’ and is very easy to mix and apply as this is another application and walk away cleaner which requires no scrubbing.
We like that is can continue working for up to 12 months to keep moss and algae away, what you may need to do though is apply a second time on really badly stained surfaces.
This is probably one of the best selling patio cleaners available, on Amazon alone it has over 900 positive reviews which are staggering but this further confirms how good this cleaner much be. Overall a great product that simply works but is a little more expensive than the Ultima-Plus XP Moss, Mould & Algae Killer which is why we decided not to name it our ‘Best Pick’.
4. Jarder Concentrate Spray & Leave Cleaner
The 5 Litre Concentrate Jarder Spray & Leave Cleaner is another spray & walk away patio cleaner where you can expect to see results in only 2-3 days depending on the level of growth you have. The concentrated patio cleaner needs no scrubbing or invasive abrasive tool to pry the growth out of the patio.
Another thing that is good about this product is that it contains no bleach. The patio cleaner is neither acidic nor caustic so your surface tops are protected from damage.
It is also friendly to the environment due to its biodegradable characteristics. Too many chemicals can unbalance the soil and retard further growth in future. Just because it is biodegradable it does not mean that it is not effective. The patio cleaners able to prevent the mould/algae from regrowing just as all the other cleaners in our review do.
With the right ratio between water and detergent, it is effective to cover around 240m2. Remember that you have to let the areas dry before letting pets or children play around on the patio. It is just a safety precaution.
- Makes a minimum of 30 litres of patio cleaner from 5 litres of concentrate which is enough to treat a huge 240m2.
- Suitable for UPVC Windows, sheds, fences, patios, paths and more.
- Has no bleach and it’s appropriate for all surfaces due to its low PH.
- Needs little attention since you spray it and leave it.
- Needs no manual scrubbing.
- Cheaper then most other cleaners but our research found that some people found it not always effective on stubborn stains.
Thoughts and recommendations
The Jarder Spray & Leave Cleaner is environmentally friendly and yields faster results. The patio cleaner is not very strong in that it will be able to rid the stains right away but n a few days you will notice changes but it may need to be applied a couple of times before you see good results.
It may leave stains on some surface in the diluting ratio is off so be careful. Other than that, it is safe for your family to play on the patio when it has already dried up. No labour but still effective. It’s cheaper than most other cleaners we reviewed but does not seem as effective.
5. Pro-Kleen Mould, Algae & Moss Remover
Buy on Amazon.co.uk
The PROKLEEN Mould Algae & Moss Killer is another patio cleaner that you can depend on. Seemingly employing the spray and leave it method, you find that it needs little maintenance. You can go ahead use it to prevent more algae growth.
Diluted in the ratio 1:4 the patio cleaner is able to cover a wide area. Out of the 5 litres, you get 25 litres to use on your patio. If you have a small patio, this patio cleaner will last a long while which indicates a value for money.
This product contains no bleach and therefore it is friendlier to skin. It is not acidic either meaning that the protective polish on your surface is taken care of. Once it dries up the biodegradable material is safe to be around pets and humans. It is not tied down to you patios only, even your roof/fence could benefit.
- Perfect for cleaning all surfaces such as fences, drives, patios, walls, furniture, caravans.
- Environmentally conscious due to its ability to be biodegradable.
- Contains no bleach or high acidic levels that can damage surfaces.
- Needs no labour as you just spray it and let it dry.
- It does not have a shelf life meaning you can store and use it for longer.
- Areas with tough stains will have to be scrubbed to be effective.
Thoughts and recommendations
The PROKLEEN Mould Algae & Moss Killer is affordable and mild. It will not be able to get through years and years of algae/mould situations but does seem to work great on green algae but does struggle to remove black algae. You will have to employ some scrubbing in some situations so as to get the right look.
For mild growth patios it will work effectively, and, it is biodegradable making it eco-friendly. Those who don’t want to spend much and have little algae/moss/mould growth on your patio, this will do the trick but if you have Black algae would recommend choosing another patio cleaner.
6. Patio Magic! Green Mould and Algae Killer Liquid Concentrate Patio Cleaner
The Patio Magic! Green Mould and Algae Killer Liquid Concentrate works like most of the products in this category. The only difference is how much patio cleaner you can get from one can. In areas where there is prevalent growth, the diluting ratio is 1:4 parts water which is fairly strong. In cases of light growth, you can dilute the concentrate up to 9 times. This is a lifesaver when you have a large patio with light algae growth to treat.
The 5-litre patio cleaner is eco-friendly and covers an area of 170m2. The fact that the detergent can be absorbed the soil without any trouble. All you need to do is spray the solution and leave it to dry. Once it has dried your patio will be accessible. You can apply a few coatings if you see any regrowth on your patios.
Same as all detergents, it can be used on other surfaces. This model recommends that it is only used on outdoor hard surfaces just to be safe. Make sure that you read the instructions so that the patio cleaner is able to work effectively.
- Simply spray area and walk away and start seeing results in 2-4 days after application.
- Can be diluted to make a lot of cleaning liquid for your patios thus providing value for money.
- Contains no bleach or acids that can damage surfaces.
- Biodegradable which reduces soil and water pollution.
- It has antibacterial characteristics raising the quality of your environment.
- Control of lichens can take from 2 weeks to 6 months
Thoughts and recommendations
The Patio Magic! Green Mould and Algae Killer Liquid Concentrate is a good bargain since it is affordable and does the job well. This patio cleaner works faster than the Wet & Forget – Moss Mould Lichen & Algae Remover giving you results in a few days.
This patio cleaner is one of the most popular brands on Amazon and has well over 700 reviews on Amazon which further confirms its reputation. Overall another reliable patio cleaner.
Our Buyers Guide
Buying the right patio detergent is very important as it determines the level of cleanliness and chemicals used. Some chemicals may be appropriate for one kind of surface but completely damaging to another surface. In the marketplace, you will find varied brands with varying concentrations that you can use.
Let us look at factors to consider:
Surface in use
What kind of surface does your patio have? Is it limestone, concrete, block paving or wood? Different surfaces react to different chemicals. Patio cleaners that are heavy in bleach might damage surfaces like wood and strip the protective coating. Patio detergents with sodium hydroxide may be too strong for most uncoated surfaces. Look at your surface and select one who’s PH is manageable. Some chemicals may be harmful to your skin too especially if it is sensitive. The good news is we did find patio cleaners that were suitable for all surfaces which makes it much easier to choose the right patio cleaner.
How intense is the dirt that is to be rid of? There are patio cleaners in the market that can produce immediate results and others take a while longer. There are brands in the market that you can use and not have to rinse out. They typically are branded spray and leave it cleaners. These ones don’t need scrubbing. You let the chemicals work. Depending on how fast you want to get your surfaces clean and the material in use, select a patio cleaner that can produce results in the time that you need.
Area of coverage
The area that needs to be covered and the degree of dirt mater. Some patio cleaners are slightly denser than others. The denser the concentration, the less the area of coverage. When you are able to dilute the solution you will find that it is dispensed further compared to the heavy concentrate. The more litres that you get out of diluting the more likely you will cover a large area before seeking another container. We found most 5-litre cleaning concentrates could clean around 400 square meters.
There are patio cleaners out there that are acidic or feature caustic substances. These are intended for deep cleaning and may harm the smooth textures of some materials. Some even bleach the area making it look out of place. If you have sensitive woods/materials make sure you buy a patio cleaner that does not feature these elements.
We need to take care of our environment so that our environment can take care of us. By using biodegradable chemicals, you get to effectively clean and take care of your environment at the same time. Since they are not acidic you will find them more merciful for some soil types. Look at the information provided by the manufacturer to confirm if the product is labelled environmentally friendly. One of the reasons the Ultima-Plus XP Moss, Mould & Algae Killer was chosen as the winner of our ‘Best Pick’ as well as its good cleaning properties was that it is environmentally friendly.
Our Final Conclusion
There’s a patio cleaner in our review for you, no matter how bad your patio now looks. You may want to just get rid of the unsightly green and black stuff growing all over it, or perhaps you want to clean the bricks or paving stones as well. The patio cleaners in this review are easy to use – most just use the spray-on-and-wait-to-dry process. You don’t need a pressure washer with them to restore the faded glory of your patio.
The Best Pick of this best patio cleaner review is the Smartseal 5L Patio Clean Xtreme. This cleaner cleans the patio as well as removes mould, algae, lichens, moss and mould. The Runner-up, the Ultima-Plus XP Moss, Mould & Algae Killer, doesn’t have the cleaning feature but it’s effective in removing moss, mould and algae.
You don’t have to put up with an unsightly patio; use one of the recommended cleaners and invite be proud to entertain outdoors again.
- 🤺 Product contains four 𝗩𝗲𝗿𝘆 𝗣𝗼𝘄𝗲𝗿𝗳𝘂𝗹, active ingredients designed to help inhibit further growth and exponential spread of all fungal grimes and growths. Furthermore, this product helps to 𝗖𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗔𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲 of many hard surfaces and remove moss effectively
- 🌧️ Highly effective in helping to remove and 𝗞𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗕𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝘁 𝗟𝗶𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗻𝘀 which grow in damp conditions across the UK. Lichen is an organism and is very persistent, and when porous surfaces are left untreated or unwashed they can appear as tiny spots. This Patio Cleaner is 𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗳𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗮𝗹 𝗚𝗿𝗮𝗱𝗲 and will help remarkably in removing this unsightly mess
- 🧱 Tried and tested in 𝗞𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝗔𝗹𝗴𝗮𝗲 as well as green, white and yellow lichens. Safe for usage across many hard surfaces including: Driveways, Patios and Roof Tiles
- ⏱️ Proven to 𝗧𝗮𝗰𝗸𝗹𝗲 𝗠𝗼𝘀𝘀 𝗚𝗿𝗼𝘄𝘁𝗵 𝗙𝗮𝘀𝘁! This high performance and quick acting product can clean your roof in just an hour! Best option for speedy results
- 💥 5 litres of product will clean approximately 40 m². Burns through surface 𝗦𝘂𝗿𝗳𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝗗𝗶𝗿𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗚𝗿𝗶𝗺𝗲 thanks to powerful ingredients of the Xtreme range. Concentrated cleaner which can have this effect on many hard surfaces including, but not limited to: Natural Stone, Block & Paving Slabs, Concrete, Flagstones. Please see application guide below 🔻
Our website supports our amazing readers with countless hours of research and testing to help you find the best product so you don’t regret making a purchase. You support us through our independently chosen links, which earn us a small commission and cost you nothing but helps support our research.
Last update on 2021-01-10 at 12:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API