Last updated on April 7th, 2022
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
We all love hanging baskets for the added geometry and height they bring to any garden. Their versatility means you can grow just about anything in them, from stunning floral displays to upside-down tomatoes, even fruit. The problem comes when birds start hanging around your hanging baskets and nabbing all the goods.
Why are birds a problem?
Birds can be a problem in two ways. First, if you are growing fruit and vegetables in your hanging basket, birds can fly over and steal the produce when it is growing. This obviously defeats the purpose of having fruit or vegetables growing in your baskets as you don’t get to enjoy any of it.
The second and more common problem for baskets that just have flowers or fruits and vegetables is that birds will use the lining and the protective space to their advantage by making a nest inside of your hanging baskets.
This not only leaves a huge mess but also prevents the overall production of your flowers or your food. Some people grow floral displays and they don’t mind having the birds in the garden, and if you are one of those people, there are plenty of methods you can utilise to keep birds out of the hanging baskets while still providing them with a place to live so that you can enjoy their company. Alternatively, there are ways to get rid of birds and keep them away so that they don’t bother you at all.
How do you keep the birds away from your baskets?
Offer alternative nesting opportunities
The best method is that of prevention. Start by offering the birds somewhere more appealing to stay. Build birdhouses or nesting boxes and place them around your property so the birds won’t want to bother with your hanging baskets.
Add fine wire mesh around the baskets before planting to prevent nesting
When you plant your basket, put a light wire mesh over it so the birds aren’t able to access it.
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL - Our wire fences can be used not only as fences for chickens, animals or plant protection, but also for decorating weddings, festivals and parties.
- HEXAGEN DESIGN - This fence has a fine 13mm hexagonal mesh, triple-twisted design, which is perfect for poultry or small animals such as puppies or rabbits.
- STRONG STRUCTURE - This wire mesh is made of sturdy and rust-resistant PVC. This also allows your pets to play and relax safely.
- FLEXIBLE USAGE: Our grill is easy to use and can be bent or cut to shape it as desired. It will allow you to quickly and flexibly fencing small areas for livestock.
- Available sizes: silver - 1 x 10 m; 1 x 25 m; green - 1 x 10 m; 1 x 25 m
Use fake decoys to scare them away
Place fake predators around your hanging baskets, like fake owls or rubber snakes to dissuade the flying visitors.
- Protect your garden with the realistically coloured, life-like Wind-Action Owl bird scarer decoy
- The Wind-Action Owl is an owl decoy deterrent for bird pests such as pigeons, crows and seagulls, ideal for use in outdoor areas, balconies and gardens which are vulnerable to bird pests
- Wind-activated rotating head and life-like predatory eyes with a realistic profile will watch over the vulnerable areas you want to protect. The cunning decoy will fool even the most persistent of bird pests
- Easy to set up and install, mount the owl using the incorporated mounting hole on its base. Complete instructions are included on pack
- Durable, weather-proof material ensures bird repeller is suitable for year round use, protecting gardens, boats, fruit trees and newly seeded lawns
Hanging CDs and streamers
You can even hang things that reflect sunlight, like strings of hanging CD’s or streamers along the edges of the basket. These items will prevent the birds from hanging around your hanging baskets, but this method can be a little messy and not for everyone.
Use bamboo or canes to try and stop them from landing on your basket
Small bamboo canes or flower sticks can also be cut and placed around the perimeter of your basket to prevent animals from landing or loitering.
- Natural material: the raw material of the skewer sticks is food-grade natural bamboo, no-addictive and safe, and each piece of the stick is carefully choose, sturdy and durable for you to use
- Size and quantity: each piece of stick is in length of 18cm/7 inches, appropriate size; each pack contains 100 pieces of bamboo sticks, washable and reusable to serve you for a long time
- The special treatment after sharpening the point makes it easier to insert the skewer into the meat; after repeated polishing by the machine, the body is smooth without burrs, so it is safe for you to use freely
- Wide range of uses: suitable for many occasions such as barbecue, buffet dinner, party, etc. to stick the meat, vegetables, fruits and more, the bamboo sticks are very useful in your daily cooking
- Every stick has no knot and is not easily broken, easy to clean and use; with a flat paddle shaped handle at the end for you to take easily and turn them over freely when cooking
Place cotton balls soaked in citrus soil in the hanging basket
If this level of warfare seems too extreme, you can always try soaking cotton balls in citrus oil and leaving them in the hanging baskets. For many birds, the scent of citrus oil will deter them.
Using these tips you can keep your hanging baskets in great shape all year round, with blooms and fruit to spare!
What if you already have a bird making its nest in your hanging basket or stealing your produce?
Try moving to a new hanging basket close by
Well, if there is a nest in your basket, you can carefully remove it if possible, but do so in a nearby location. For example, put a similar hanging basket with moss next to your original basket and put the nest in there. You can even integrate this preemptively by hanging two baskets together at all times, one with moss for nests and the other with your flowers, fruits, or vegetables.
Related articles you may be interested in
Last update on 2022-03-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API