Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
Whether you use it indoors or out in your garden, a bench made of synthetic polyrattan adds a natural look while being long-lasting and extremely easy to care for.
My review looks at rattan benches of different sofa styles, rattan benches that double as storage boxes (I love dual purpose furniture) and a no-frills rattan bench for multiple people to sit on.
I present each bench’s pros, cons and special features and then our recommendation. My Buyer’s Guide makes the argument for why polyrattan is a great choice for garden furniture and what to look for when making your purchase decision.
Best Pick – Overall
Best Pick – Bench with storage
Best (Poly)Rattan Benches reviews
1. Deuba Poly Rattan Garden Bench
Best Pick – Overall
The Deuba Poly Rattan Garden Bench Outdoor is a two-seater sofa made of black polyrattan woven on an aluminium frame. The entire unit is water resistant, resistant to harmful UV-rays and dirt proof. Just wipe down with a damp cloth to clean it.
The lightweight of the polyrattan and aluminium is reflected in the airy design. The legs are narrow and the armrests are open. Your back is well supported by the angled back of the seat.
You do need some DIY skills to put this sofa together as it comes flat packed. Some online reviewers state that it’s a bit difficult to assemble as some of the holes may not line up. It’s better if you grab a friend or family member to help you.
And you don’t have to worry about the feet scuffing or sliding on the ground – the anti-skid caps on the feet stop this from happening.
If black is too dark a colour for your light and airy conservatory, check out the beige model that’s also available.
- Two-seater bench constructed of polyrattan and aluminium.
- Weather-resistant, UV-resistant and dirt-repellant.
- Angled back gives good posture support.
- Open arm rests and narrow legs offer an airy feel to the design.
- Front feet are adjustable for standing level on uneven surfaces.
- Caps on feet avoid any scuffing on the floor surface or ground.
- Easy to maintain and clean.
- Assembly required.
- Dimensions: bench: 122cm (width); 55cm (depth) and 90cm (height); seat: 122cm (width) and 46cm (depth).
- Awkward to assemble.
The Deuba Poly Rattan Garden Bench Outdoor has an open and airy look and feel to it for seating two people. Its angled design gives good support to your body. Choose from a dark colour (black) or a light colour (beige) to fit into your patio and garden décor.
The Deuba Poly Rattan Garden Bench Outdoor is my choice for Best Pick – Overall of Rattan Benches.
2. Outsunny Garden Rattan 2-Seater Companion Seat
The Outsunny Garden Rattan 2-Seater Companion Seat, Brown lets you have tea or cocktails for two in comfort on your deck or patio. You each have your own chair but, as they’re connected together, it’s still an intimate setting.
The table in-between the seats has a black tempered glass top for a practical, sophisticated finish. There’s space underneath the table to store things such as extra biscuits or serviettes. The angled backs of the chairs give good support to your body through the armrests may be a bit narrow for extreme comfort.
The design of this companion seat is quite minimal with some gentle curves amid straight lines. The frame is made of alloy steel, and everything else is from woven polyrattan plastic. As the steel is also covered in the polyrattan, this has a pulled-together look. The colour seems to be a neutral dark brown that goes with any garden décor you have. But this model is also available in grey if that better suits your design plans.
For extra comfort, you receive two off-white seat cushions designed for long-term sitting. The cushion filling is 1200g/m2 which is quite fluffy. These polyester cushion covers don’t seem to be removable but the manufacturer claims that they can be spot-cleaned when needed. And the cushions are safe as they’re treated with a fire-retardant coating.
You also don’t really have to worry about the size of your sitting companion as each seat holds up to 160kg of body (human and/or pet).
You do need to put together this rattan bench yourself. We recommend enlisting the help of friends to do this as some online reports state that it’s quite a task.
- Seats two people in two chairs in one frame, with a tea table between them.
- Constructed from black polyrattan in a woven pattern on a rust-resistant galvanised steel frame.
- Table top is of tempered glass.
- Both the steel frame and the polyrattan are in black.
- All materials are UV resistant and water resistant.
- High back and armrests (including the table) for supported comfort.
- Two seat cushions (included; in cream) are padded and made of fire-retardant polyester.
- Cushion covers are removable and washable.
- Pads on the feet protect the ground/floor surface beneath and stop the seat from skidding.
- Easy to clean and maintain – just sponge dirt and grime off.
- Maximum load is 160kgs per seat.
- Dimensions: 133cm (width); 65cm (depth) and 84cm (height).
- Fiddly to put together.
The Outsunny Garden Rattan 2-Seater Companion Seat provides an alternative to the usual two-seater sofa. This is especially useful if the other person on the sofa just won’t stay on their half (kids for example). The table between the seats serves as a barrier and as a place to put beverages, books, a game or your phone.
The Outsunny Garden Rattan 2-Seater Companion Seat is my selection for Runner-up in our review of the Best Rattan Benches.
3. Rowlinson Rattan Storage Bench
Best Pick – Bench with storage
The Rowlinson Rattan Storage Bench, Grey does double duty as a love seat and a storage box. We love dual-purpose furniture so we’re pleased to see that the storage box is the full size of the seat of this sofa. But you do need to put together this unit yourself.
The sofa and box frames are from hardwood timber on which is woven light grey polyrattan in a traditional pattern. The wood frame is stained to match the rattan colour. The open armrests are slightly curved to support your arms comfortably. The sofa comes with a grey polyester seat pad that’s water resistant and handles UV-rays well without fading.
Just raise up the sofa seat to find the storage box below. The 150L storage space is fully weather- and dust-proof. It’s big enough to store the seat cushion and any other cushions and blankets you like to use on your patio furniture. Just note that you can’t lock the storage box so don’t keep anything too valuable in there.
- Two-seater rattan bench with a storage box underneath the seat.
- Constructed from polyrattan and hardwood timber.
- Woven in a traditional pattern in light grey to match the light grey stain on the wooden frame.
- Open arm rests are slightly curved for the optimal resting place for your arms.
- The rattan storage box (150L) is weatherproof and runs the full width and depth of the seat.
- The grey seat pad (included) is on the top of the hinged lift-up seat.
- Needs to be put together.
- Dimensions: 120cm (width); 60cm (depth) and 90cm (height).
- Storage box isn’t lockable.
We always appreciate multi-functional items, and the Rowlinson Rattan Storage Bench in Grey is a fully functioning two-seater rattan sofa with a large storage space. Store 150L of stuff under the seat of this bench – cushions, blankets, outdoor toys, candles and so on. The box is weather-proof and easy to access.
The Rowlinson Rattan Storage Bench is my choice for Best Pick – Bench with storage in our review.
4. GardenCo Rattan 2-Seat Bench
The GardenCo Rattan 2-Seat Bench has clean-cut style with rounded edges on the bottom of the bench and straight lines elsewhere. You have a choice of brown, which we review, and black to fit in with your existing conservatory, patio or garden furniture.
This model of love seat comes with a 5cm deep seat cushion for added comfort. The back of the sofa is slightly rounded for better support and a longer stay. Although the frame is made of alloy steel, you can’t see it as it’s wrapped in the same polyratten plastic that’s used to weave all other parts of the sofa. This makes for a coherent and complete look and makes everything weather-resistant and easy to wipe down and clean. But be aware that the cushion is only showerproof so take it inside in heavy rain.
You do need to assemble this sofa yourself, or preferable with someone to help you. The manufacturer gives clear instructions on the sales website on how to leave the bolts loose until all parts of the sofa are in place, and only then tighten them. We suspect that the online reviewers who complain about assembly taking longer than stated didn’t read this instruction carefully. Make sure that you do for the best results.
- Two seat polyrattan love seat is UV resistant and weather resistant.
- Handwoven in a traditional pattern.
- Low curved arms on the bench offer a comfortable resting place.
- Back of the seat is slightly curved outwards for ergonomic design.
- Cushion (included) is beige and is 5cm deep.
- Easy to clean – wipe down with a damp cloth.
- Also comes in black.
- Assembly required.
- Dimensions: 109cm (width) 62cm (depth); and 82.5cm (height).
- Cushion not very cushiony.
- Assembly generally takes longer than the stated 40 minutes.
The GardenCo Rattan 2-Seat Bench comes in brown or black to fit in with your outdoors design choices. It has a clean, modern look that won’t clash with whatever other style of furniture you already have. The polyrattan has a long weave pattern, making the two-seater look long and lean.
This is a great choice if you’re looking for a neutral-looking item of rattan seating.
5. Charles Bentley Zanzibar 2 Seater
The Charles Bentley Zanzibar 2 Seater, Grey, is a stylish love seat with a modern design. The rattan weave, in grey polyrattan, is only on the seat; the back and sides of the sofa are smooth strings of the same material. This gives a strong visual contrast to the black powder-coated steel frame.
Light goes through most of this sofa making it feel a little ethereal. The angled back and armrests offer some support and the seat is 41cm from the floor for comfy sitting. You do need to assemble this unit yourself. You may need some practical support as well as encouragement as several online reviewers say that the assembly instructions are not enough to put everything together easily.
- Contemporary two-seater rattan sofa with a woven rattan seat.
- Curved shape with an angled back and sloping armrests.
- Constructed of grey polyrattan and black power-coated steel.
- Light and airy design highlighted by the thin frame and the polyethylene strings for the back.
- Also available in a natural colour rattan with a black frame.
- Assembly required.
- Maximum user weight is 360kgs.
- Dimensions: 118cm (width); 67cm (depth) and 77cm (height); 41cm (height from floor to seat).
- Poor assembly instructions.
If you like rattan but not too much of it, the Charles Bentley Zanzibar 2 Seater, Grey, is a contemporary spin on a traditional rattan bench sofa. The clean lines, the openness to the material and the grey and black contrast all add up to a rattan bench that fits into any modern décor and landscape.
6. vidaXL Garden Storage Bench
The vidaXL Garden Storage Bench is definitely a rattan bench rather than a love seat or chair. But its main function is as a large storage box that you can sit on top of. Although we review the grey model, it also comes in black if you want it to fit into any patio or deck décor.
The bench is fully covered in woven black polyrattan, except for the top which is constructed of solid acacia hardwood. As the hardwood is slatted, this leaves the storage box open to the elements in the spaces between the slats. Rain and dust can get in; so this is why a polyethylene weather-resistant bag lines to the storage box comes with the unit. Just be sure to store everything in the bag and close it up well.
As for the shape, well, it’s a bench with slightly raised sides and back. This is more to keep things (and people) on the seat than to provide any support to your back and arms. The seat is hinged and lifts easily to provide access to the storage box underneath. The box is the width of the seat and you can store patio accessories in there – even some bigger items such as pool toys.
This bench/storage box sitting nicely above the ground on short legs. This stops the box from sitting in any water on the ground and helps to stop dirt and dust from getting into it from below while allowing air to circulate. If you need to move the box from one place to another, h use the convenient indented handles on each side – it’s easier if two people are doing the lifting.
- Larger-than-two-seater bench without a back or armrests.
- Made from polyrattan and solid acacia wood.
- Acacia wood is on the seat; rattan is everywhere else.
- Storage box under the seat runs the full width and depth of the bench.
- Sides of the box are slightly elevated to keep everything and everyone on the seat.
- Weather resistant and UV-rays resistant.
- Water-resistant polyethylene bag lines inside the storage box.
- Seat is hinged and lifts for you to access the storage trunk.
- Bench is on legs to keep everything off the ground.
- Has handles on side to easily lift the storage bench.
- Dimensions: 120cm (width); 50cm (depth); and 50cm (height).
- Storage trunk is not lockable.
- Box is not waterproof.
If storage is more your priority than more outdoor seating, the vidaXL Garden Storage Bench is for you. The large storage box (not waterproof, unfortunately), holds all kinds of deck stuff and you can safely sit on the bench lid. What’s not to love about dual-functional items? Both the acacia hardwood and the woven polyrattan plastic are strong and durable and will last a long time.
7. TOOLLAND FP160R Toolland Folding Bench
Sometimes you just need a long bench for lots of people to sit on. This is where the TOOLLAND FP160R Toolland Folding Bench, Black, comes in. This is a lengthy bench that folds in half for easier storage. It also has a handle so you can carry it easily when it’s folded down.
At large family gatherings (think, Christmas Dinner) or perhaps for spectators at a kid’s football match, you have 180cm of bench length to sit people’s bottoms on. This is a sturdy bench as the frame is made of high-density steel that’s been power-coated black. This makes it water resistant. The seat is of black polyrattan plastic; this is water resistant too, as well as UV-resistant so the colour won’t fade.
At 8kg, this is a fairly lightweight bench so you can take it with you. But be careful when people get up from it as some online reviewers state that it doesn’t lock in the open position. Unfortunately, I weren’t able to verify this on either the sales page or on other websites.
- Long black rattan bench without back or armrests.
- Made from high density steel tubes frame with the seat in woven polyrattan pattern.
- Closes to half its length for carrying.
- Has a carry handle for ease of transportation.
- Weighs 8kg.
- Dimensions: open: 180cm (length); 25cm (depth); and 43cm (height); folded: 92cm (length); 25cm (depth) and 10cm (height).
- Doesn’t lock in the open position.
The TOOLLAND FP160R Toolland Folding Bench is a useful addition to your additional seating if you throw large sit-down gatherings several times a year. It folds up relatively small and is light enough with the convenient carrying handle to transport elsewhere. Just wipe it down to keep it clean.
In this Buyer’s Guide, I look at why polyrattan is a perfect choice for garden furniture, whatever your patio and landscape décor is. We also present the key elements to look for in the best rattan benches.
Polyrattan was especially designed for outdoors life
Real rattan is closely related to the palm tree and is a vine that grows in the jungle. It’s one of the strongest woods available and its bark/peel is used to bind furniture together. So, with such a durable and long-lasting wood, why not use the real thing in garden furniture?
The simple answer is that it’s time consuming to look after rattan in Western climates. To keep it fresh and supple, you need to treat it with preservatives and frequently oil it with special oil. This is more work than many people want to take on, which is a shame as woven rattan furniture looks both natural and elegant.
This is where industry scientists came in and invented a plastic rattan – polyrattan – that can be woven together in traditional rattan weaves. As it’s a plastic, the material is water resistant, rust proof, mould proof, dirt resistant and UV resistant to certain degrees. Plus it can be coloured into natural colours.
Different grades of polyrattan
Not all plastics are made equal – and the same is true of the different grades of polyrattans. The three main grades of polyrattan – polyethylene (PE), polyurethane (PU) and polyvinylchloride (PVC) are all suitable for outdoors in the UK climate.
However, PE polyrattan is the highest grade with the most strength, longest durability and most resistant properties. This is the one to choose for your garden rattan furniture. All the rattan benches in this review are made of PE.
PU and PVC can often go brittle and crack when left outdoors and don’t come with as long a warranty (usually just one year) as PE polyrattan (generally between 3 to 10 years).
All the polyrattan grades are easy lightweight and easy to clean, however. Just wupe them down with a damp or soapy cloth and rub a bit harder to remove ingrained dirt and grime. Then rinse them off.
Summary of what to look for in rattan furniture.
Here’s what the best rattan benches can offer you:
- PE polyrattan rather than PU or PVC polyrattan.
- Extra protection from harmful UV-rays.
- Natural colours.
- Powder-coated steel vs aluminium frames (trade-off of strength vs weight).
- Sofa vs storage box included.
- Long, multi-year warranty.
- Integral armrests and ergonomic design.
Whether you have a contemporary garden landscape or a more rustic outdoors vibe, rattan benches give you an elegant natural and practical option for more seating. They work well alongside other styles of outdoor furniture or in a cluster with other rattan furniture pieces. Polyrattan is lightweight, durable and easy to care for, and you don’t have to worry about the best-quality benches being outside in bad weather (but do take the cushions inside).
Our Best Pick – Overall is the Deuba Poly Rattan Garden Bench Outdoor, Black. This elegant love seat has a contemporary feeling along with a traditional rattan weave.
Our Runner up is the Outsunny Garden Rattan 2 Seater Companion Seat, Brown. This pair of connected single seats with a small table in between offers an intimate space for afternoon space or cocktails.
Our Best Pick – Storage bench is the Rowlinson Rattan Storage Bench, Grey. Sit comfortably on a love seat that houses your furniture cushions, outdoor rugs and cosy blankets.
If your love of rattan goes beyond just a bench, check out our Best Rattan Conservatory Furniture Set review.
If you prefer lounging, we have recommendations in our 6 Best Rattan Sun Loungers – Easy To Clean & Comfortable article.
And if you have too many patio accessories and outdoors kids’ toys, you may need one of the 5 Best Rattan-style Storage Boxes For Your Garden we review.
Last update on 2022-03-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API