Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission when you buy through links on our site.
Best Reciprocating Saw – Top 8 Models, Comparison & Reviews
Last Updated on
Choosing The Best Reciprocating Saw
Whether you are a woodworker, plumber or electrician, reciprocating saws are without a doubt some of the crucial tools in your craftsmanship arsenal. These tools can slice through materials and workpieces that most other saws cannot, as well as reach into the tiniest nooks and crannies. If you are looking to buy the best reciprocating saw, you have come to the right page.
We have listed herein the top-rated reciprocating saws to help you narrow down your choices. The factors we considered included variable speed settings, ergonomics, power, tool-less blade change, adjustable shoe, among others. Reciprocating saws are also available in corded and cordless versions, which we have a good mix of both in this article and from leading brands such as Makita, DeWalt and Ryobi.
After a thorough comparison of our 8 finalists, we concluded that the Makita JR3050T 240 V Reciprocating Saw is the best overall model, and below are its major highlights.
The blade stroke length is an impressive 1-1.8”, capable of cutting 255m thick wood and 90mm thick steel or 90mm to 130mm with a 280mm blade for pipe. Using brushless motor technology which is a huge improvement on brushed motors, the saw delivers optimal power and durability. A 3-year warranty sums up this top quality saw, but you can find more in our in-depth review of this model further down.
Top 8 Reciprocating Saw Reviews
Below are our top 8 reciprocating saws including both corded and cordless models starting with our best pick which we think is a great choice for most people from DIY enthusiasts to professional tradesmen.
1. Makita JR3050T/2 Reciprocating Saw Review
The Makita JR3050T/2 Reciprocating Saw is another good reciprocating saw and a good alternative to the Bosch model and is around the same price. This 3.2 kg saw is very user-friendly and a very robust saw perfect for tackling just about any cutting job. This model has been designed to have a variable speed which is convenient when you are working with different kinds of material. As with most models the speed is controlled by the pressure asserted on the trigger depending on the user.
This reciprocating saw comes with a brushed 1010 watt motor so has plenty of power. This motor has the capabilities of running for as long as you need which we would expect from Makita and It has safety measures installed to prevent it from overheating. The motor is brushed motor and is designed more for cutting tasks that do not require very heavy duty power but the brushes are replaceable to keep the unit in good shape.
To save you time and frustration as you work, a hustle free blade mechanism is installed just like that on the Bosch model. Now you can focus on your work rather than getting tools to fix your blades at every change.
The unit will be delivered with blades. There is no need to purchase blades. Also, you will find an adjustable shoe that you can use to maximise on your blades.
A carrying case has been provided to make transportation and storage much easier which is a bonus as most models do not include a case.
When working with this model, you have the 2800spm speed to work with. This speed seems to be the industry standard for corded units in this range. It has a stroke length of approximately 28mm. This is adequate to cut through 255mm in wood and 90mm in steel. Finally, it also comes with a 3-year warranty which is pretty standard for Makita tools.
- Excellent cutting performance on a range of materials including wood, plastic and metal and will even cut through cast iron pipe.
- Robust high-quality build which is well balanced and comfortable to hold.
- Perfect for Home use and tradesmen.
- Good price for the offered features.
- Comes with an adjustable shoe for blade control.
- It comes with a storage case.
- 3 years warranty for full peace of mind.
The Makita JR3050T/2 Reciprocating Saw is affordable and has good features making it an excellent choice for someone looking for a more heavy-duty model for professional or home use. This corded machine comes with a carrying case which is a bonus as they don’t all ways include a case despite there high price tags.
The speed on this reciprocating saw is more than adequate and so is the stroke length of 28mm.
Overall this is a well-balanced saw with plenty of power and a great alternative to the Bosch PSA 700E Sabre Saw and has very similar features and performance. Both models are a great choice, I suppose it depends on which brand you usually go for. Personally we would go for the Bosch model but this is an individual choice and the Makita is just as good.
2. DeWalt DCS367NT Cordless Reciprocating Saw Review
This DeWalt DCS367NT Cordless Reciprocating Saw boasts an extremely compact and handy design that allows it to be used precisely and comfortably in confined spaces. Furthermore, this is possible in one-handed operation. It benefits from brushless motor technology just like our best pick by Makita that’s known to offer high-performance, longer battery life, great cutting speed because of high pulling power, and longer service life.
The tool is very powerful with a no-load speed of 2900spm allowing it to cut through wood and metal with ease. This cutting speed is enhanced by the saw’s stroke length of 28mm, which is on the maximum end for reciprocating saws. There is also an electronic speed control feature that can go from 0 – 2900spm, allowing for precision cutting when needed, whilst a lock switch and an electronic motor brake makes the tool safe to use.
It has an adjustable shoe which enhances stability and allows improved control over your tool. This additionally assists by providing clear visibility to the blade and cut line. Paired with the keyless 4-position blade clamp, they allow for quick and easy blade changes as well as cutting versatility. Another nice touch is the integrated LED light, which illuminates the cutting area, especially when working in dim surroundings.
The casing is made of durable aluminium that is completely moisture-proof so as to protect the interior components against the elements such as dust and damp. The handle has a rubberised outer layer to offer a better grip of the tool and comfortable handling even during extended, hot jobs.
This product arrives in the T-STAK Box III and a body only without battery and charger. The recommended battery is the 18V Li-Ion XR or one of the DeWalt battery-plus system, which allows one such battery to be used interchangeably with the company’s power tools. So if you have an existing DeWalt power tool, you can surely save on battery cost. As expected of this leading manufacturer of power tools and garden equipment, this 2.5kg (without battery) reciprocating saw comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Compact and lightweight so it can be used in tight spaces.
- Brushless motor technology; longer runtimes, higher cutting speed and longer service life.
- Variable speed trigger to slowly increase from 0 to 2900spm to match the speed of the blade to the job at hand.
- With an electronic motor brake to stop operation in case something’s not right for better accuracy.
- The adjustable shoe offers improved stability.
- Keyless 4-position blade clamp for quick and easy blade changes.
- Bright LED light to illuminate dark work areas.
- 3-year warranty for full peace of mind.
- Doesn’t come with a battery and charger.
The DeWalt DCS367NT Cordless Reciprocating Saw is really compact and would perfectly suit applications such as cutting in between studs. With a variable speed trigger delivering up to 2900spm and a 28mm stroke length, this tool is fast and efficient.
It also features a keyless 4-position blade clamp to ensure blade changing is a doddle and can be done in 4 positions for various tasks including flush cutting. The featured LED light is highly useful too as it helps maintain cutting results even in dark areas.
All in all, it packs a powerful punch, comfortable ergonomics and one of the best brands with a 3-year warranty for peace of mind.
3. TACKLIFE Reciprocating Saw
Great budget pick
We’ve had a look at some of the big guns in the industry but brand names shouldn’t get in the way of your selections. An example is the TACKLIFE Reciprocating Saw, which offers so much to be excited about. The first thing to notice is how powerful the motor is at 850W. It certainly delivers great power to cut through wood, metal and plastic. The cutting depth in wood is 180mm whilst metal can be cut to 10mm deep.
Integral to this model is the variable speed trigger that allows you to select the speed from 0 – 2800spm for various projects, something not all budget models have. Once you find an ideal speed, you can always push the lock-on button to maintain the speed. This is handy for long periods of use. Also, its cutting stroke length of 28.5mm is designed to cut through virtually any building material.
A unique feature of this reciprocating saw which we really like is the rotatable handle, which is able to turn 180° from left to right, as well as to three positions for increased versatility and flush cutting. Moreover, this anti-vibration handle has a rubber coating for enhanced grip and comfort when working. An adjustable shoe length and angle also make it convenient to have various cutting length and angle.
As working in dark areas can be tricky in terms of precision cutting, TACKLIFE included an LED light to solve this problem, again something not all models have. They also added a quick-change clamp into the mix to make it easy to change blades without using any extra tools. The tool comes with 6T blade for wood cutting, 14T blade for metal cutting and a carry box for transportation and storage.
- Rotary handle, which allows turning 180° from left to right for versatility.
- Integrated LED light to illuminate the cutting area in dark situations.
- Adjustable shoe, which adjusts distance for a certain cutting area.
- Comes with 2 blades: 6T for wood and 14T for metal.
- Convenient, tool-free blade change.
- Variable speed trigger and knob for increased accuracy when cutting various materials.
- Sold at a great price.
- 2 year warranty for full peace of mind.
- Easy to accidentally operate the lock-on button.
The TACKLIFE Reciprocating Saw is a high-quality commercial-grade tool that you get on a budget. Full power, its 800W motor rotates the blade at 2800spm at a stroke length of 1-1/8”. This guarantees quick and efficient cutting regardless of the material that you’re cutting. The motor is somehow quiet and has a stable profile that minimises vibration by 40% although we are not sure what Tacklife compare this against when they state this, however, it will help prevent hand fatigue in so doing.
Customising the depth of cut is possible thanks to its pivoting shoe and it’s easy to make precise cuts due to the usefulness of the LED light. Let’s not forget this is a corded reciprocating saw with a 10ft cable that’s long and convenient. It even comes with two blades and a carry case.
A slight design flaw is that the lock-on button is located near your thumb grip, making it easy to accidentally press it. Apart from that, you get what you pay for.
4. Ryobi 18v – RRS1801M Reciprocating Saw Review
The Ryobi RRS1801M Reciprocating Saw is a good product for sizeable situations and is a great model for both DIY enthusiast and Professional tradesmen and is one of the most affordable cordless models without compromising on quality, performance and power. The colour and design are hard to miss and is instantly recognisable as being part of the Ryobi One+ range. This means if you already have Ryobi tools such as the cordless hammer drill drills or cordless jigsaws etc from this range, then you can purchase the bare tool and save money by not having to invest in a battery and charger which makes up well over half the price if purchased as a full set including the battery and charger,
More in the saw itself, for maximum performance, the unit is powered by an 18V lithium-ion batteries. These batteries are known for their fast charging and no memory capabilities and allow units to run for longer hours. We recommend using the 5Ah battery as they offer reasonable run times.
Talking if batteries, this model is part of the Ryobi power-sharing movement. If you already have Ryobi tools with Ryobi one plus batteries, you don’t have to buy batteries as you can interchange between the tools as you wish and save money as you only need to invest in the bare tool which is well under £80.
One problem we noticed with cheaper saws is you have to change the blade using a small Allen key which is a little fidgety and time-consuming. Taking this into consideration its good to see that this saw is fitted with an easy blade changing mechanism. You can attach blades without tools and within seconds.
It also has a good maximum stroke length of 22mm which is excellent when compared to cheaper models and can cut through 18cm of wood with ease thanks to the long blade capacity. You will find that every model is supplied with one wooden and metal blade for use so you’re good to get started, however its all ways a good idea to buy some spare blades when you buy your saw. It also features an adjustable shoe that has been fitted to allow you use of the whole blade and at angles.
Speed is as important as the power of the motor. The higher the speeds the more you will get through the material quicker and the smooth the cut usually is. The top speed recorded for this unit is at a maximum of 3100 rpm. We like that instead of just having a single speed, the speed can be controlled from the trigger for optimum cutting performance. You can decide to go faster or brake midway due to the quality control mechanisms provided.
- Suitable for cutting a range of materials including wood, plastic and steel.
- ?Good quality construction.
- Incorporates easy blade change using the quick change magnesium.
- Designed with a 22mm stroke length for better cutting performance.
- Anti vibration mechanisms reduces fatigue.
- Comes with an adjustable shoe for blade use optimisation.
- Optimum speed control from 0 to 3100 spm ensures you can control the speed for the job at hand.
- Impressive maximum cutting length of 180mm of wood.
- 3 Year warranty when you register online for full peace of mind.
- Battery bought separately thus extra costs if you do not all ready have tools from the Ryobi one+ range.
- No carrying case included.
The Ryobi RRS1801M Reciprocating Saw is one of convenience, reliability and power and is one of the best models we have come across and has a longer warranty to match. After we reviewed all the reciprocating saws it became clear that this model was really hard to beat as it has the quality, performance and features of the more expensive model by DeWalt but for a lot less money.
This model has easy blade attachment systems which make time wastage a problem of yesterday. Paired together with high adjustable speeds and an adjustable shoe, you get true value for your money.
We wish it had a carrying case but that can be managed. If you already have Ryobi tools that are compatible, you don’t need to spend money on getting batteries which is another bonus.
Overall it’s probably the best cordless reciprocating saw for both Professionals looking for a high-quality tool for a little less money or the DIY enthusiast looking a robust saw for tackling their latest projects but who is looking for a more professional model that can tackle heavier cutting jobs. After careful consideration, we came to the conclusion that this would be the best choice for our ‘Best Pick’ Award for the best cordless reciprocating saw.
5. Bosch PSA 700 E Sabre Saw Review
The Bosch PSA 700 E Sabre Saw will make you smile. This is because it is such an easy reciprocating saw to use and a great choice for home use for a range of rough sawing robs from cutting branches in the garden to some DIY work. All the blades that you find in standard saws will fit this model which means that buying new blades is easy and affordable as there are no special blade attachments specs to worry about. The unit is able to accommodate different blades for different amounts of work. You can change these blades without taking too much time using the very impressive quick blade change feature. Bosch has made certain that you only take a few seconds to change your blade and is designed for amateur use this is important as most people will have never changed a blade before in a reciprocating saw. So the first advantage, no tools are needed.
For maximum performance, the model has been fitted with a very powerful motor. The motor has to run smoothly to ensure that the stroke is smooth which Bosch as done very well with this model. The 710w motor provides continuous performance no matter how hard the cutting task you are attempting is. Considering that it is a corded tool, you will have to make sure that you have extensions just in case you have limited reach which is one of the disadvantages over a cordless model such as our ‘Best Pick’ but we understand not everyone needs the convenience of cordless.
To make certain that your hands do not get calluses, the reciprocating saw is fitted with soft handles so it is very comfortable to use even on full power and the handle makes sure that your hand does not slip regardless of how sweaty they get which is handy If you are working for an extended time.
The whole unit is constructed from high-quality metal and plastic which is far superior to cheaper models on the market. Therefore, durability and stability will not be an issue.
The unit is designed with smooth acceleration and variable speed just like the Ryobi model. Depending on the pressure applied to the trigger. You can control when you want to stop or go faster.
The unit is also fitted with an adjustable shoe that lets you optimise the blade to use. The unit can cut up to 150mm in wood and 10mm in steel. This unit has a stroke length of 20mm which is more than adequate for domestic and frequent use.
The model is also supplied with one wood saw for use. You will have to purchase the other blade separately. This model does come with 2 years warranty but like the Ryobi model, you can extend it to 3 years by registering your saw online.
- Perfect for home use in the garden or cutting a range of materials including wood, plastic and even metal with the right blade.
- Lightweight bow design for easy handling.
- Power 710w motor with speed control for optimum cutting performance.
- 2 years warranty which can be extended to 3 years by registering online.
- Lacks a safety cut-out.
- Comes with only one wood blade.
- Only suitable for smaller jobs
The Bosch PSA 700 E Sabre Saw is lightweight and can be used for nearly all jobs around the home and in the garden. The lightweight reciprocating saw does have a good powerful motor which does produce plenty of power and will easily cut through the material.
It has a fair price considering the quality of the features presented. We recommend this unit for home use and to be honest, it would be good enough for the DIY enthusiast who may do more cutting than your average user but we would recommend maybe upgrading to the professional model by Bosch as it offers a little extra power for those tougher jobs and fast cutting performance.
This model also only comes with one wood blade for wood so you will need to invest in a good set of new blades to go with this model.
6. DeWalt DWE305PK-GB 240 V Reciprocating Saw Review
The DeWalt DWE305PK-GB 240 V Reciprocating Saw maybe a little more expensive than the Makita model but it cannot be overlooked. Making another appearance for corded reciprocating saws, this unit comes with a powerful 1100w motor. The motor, in this case, has been designed for constant and heavy use so is perfect for professionals and tradesmen. Unlike the smaller models that handle heavy work but could be pushed to their limit, this unit can be used for heavier applications and will not miss a beat.
Many people worry about speed when it comes to most power tools. This unit comes with an effective speed of 2800spm which is on pair with the Makita model in this respect. This speed has to be regulated when you are working so as to avoid any mishaps. The trigger can be used to control the speed variation and the handle has been designed to ensure that the user has a comfortable grip despite the size of the hand.
The structure of the unit is made out of high-quality materials as you would expect for DeWalt and has been designed to last on busy daily sites where it will get some hammering. The material used will not crack or break easily when subjected to extended use and the odd knock and drop.
Whether this model stands out from most other models is that it comes designed with 4 blade clamp positions. The positions allow the user to engage in activities like flush cutting and its secures it’s very versatile. The blades can easily be attached or detached from the main unit as you do not have to use any tools. This kind of system saves time and much-needed energy and is a must-have feature.
This reciprocating saw can cut through 280mm through various woods and 100mm through selected steel pipes and sections. The stroke length is also as important as it allows you to get through cuts faster. The stroke length on this model is 29mm which is one of the best we have seen which only increases its performance. This is definitely longer than the smaller sized saw.
The unit is supplied with a carrying case. The carrying case is made of durable material so as to withstand heavy impact and provide easy storage.
- Can be used for heavy-duty work.
- Well-constructed and durable.
- It comes with a carrying case.
The DeWalt DWE305PK-GB Reciprocating Saw can be considered among the best of all the corded models and it simply does not miss a beat and will handle anything that gets in its way. This is because it is well constructed and has good quality features and an impressive speed of 2800spm.
We love the fact that it comes with its own carrying case which makes transportation and storage easier for the consumer.
The only flaw is that no blades are provided thus you will have to purchase them separately. If you are working within a budget it is important to consider this factor, however, with a good set of blades cost around £15 its probably not worth worrying about.
Aside from that, this is a reliable product that can be used by various HVAC professionals, plumbers, electricians, among others. All in all the best cordless reciprocating saw for professional use.
7. Bosch Professional GSA 1100 E Corded 240 V Sabre Saw Review
The Bosch Professional GSA 1100 E Sabre Saw is another great product from Bosch and an upgraded more powerful alternative to the Bosch PSA 700 E Sabre we reviewed above. The unit features a powerful 1100 watt motor to cope with more industrial type work. These watts go-ahead to power a maximum speed of 2700spm. This speed can be controlled by the amount of pressure asserted on the trigger.
When it comes to the blade section, Bosch got it covered. They have provided an SDS system to facilitate conveniently timed blade changes that will save you some frustration. Also, you will find that you will be supplied with blades that you can use for either wood or metal. This saves you some money that you could have used buying new ones.
This saw has been fitted with LED lights to increase the visibility of the workpiece which is handy when working in dimply lit areas such as under stairs or simply where there is bad lighting. You can comfortably cut 230mm in wood and about 20mm in metal applications. The overall stroke length of this model is 28mm which most people find comfortable to work with.
The unit is fitted with rubber insulated handles to make sure your fingers don’t slip. This design is comfortable for any size of an adult’s hand. When you are taking a break from work, you can hang the saw using the metal hook provided. If you are done for the day, you can put it back in the carry case and store it for another day. The carry case is of good quality, therefore, will protect the reciprocating saw.
- Ideal for home use and professional use such as plumbers, electricians etc.
- Designed with LED lights for better visibility.
- Good lightweight construction.
- It comes with a carry case.
- Comes with a hanging section.
- Blades provide could be better.
- Interlock button may be quite stiff.
The Bosch Professional GSA 1100 E Sabre Saw is a good product at the very least. It comes and overshadows the other Bosch saw featured in this review. We like the inclusion of LED lights as they make working a bit easier. We also love the handle since the rubber gives you that comfortable feeling.
The unit is delivered with a carry case and some blades so it offers good value for money. The performance of the tool cannot be put into question. The motor runs strongly and efficiently as long as it is maintained well. Apart from the few misgivings, this saw can stand among the best reciprocating saws in our review. This unit is recommended for domestic and commercial use.
8. Makita DJR185Z Cordless 18V Li-Ion Mini Reciprocating Saw Review
The Makita DJR185Z Cordless Mini Reciprocating Saw is a lightweight wonder that perfect if used within its limits. Unencumbered from the limitation of cords, this little guy can be carried and used anywhere. The unit relies on lithium-ion batteries which make them easy to carry around and use in areas where corded unit are limited. If you have similar Makita tools you probably all ready have compatible batteries and charger. If not the 18V batteries and charger will have to be purchased separately.
This is another model which has thought about dim working conditions, for an easier time seeing when you are cutting through materials, an LED light job has been fitted. This convenient feature is accompanied by a shoe adjustment feature that lets you decide how deep you want to go. With a light to guide the way, you can cut the right dimensions with ease.
With a speed of 3000 spm, you need to have some sort of control. That is why you will notice that the reciprocating saw is fitted with two switch mechanism. The mechanism is just there to foster smooth speed control as you have variable speed control.
Another neat little feature of this reciprocating saw is that it can be adaptable to take jigsaw blades and other reciprocating saws that you purchase in the market. This basically means you can use it as a jigsaw which is perfect for small jobs and saves you carrying a small jigsaw around. It does lack a quick-change blade mechanism that most models come with and instead uses a hex key for easy blade change. Not a deal-breaker but it would be nice to have a tool-less blade change feature.
The maximum stroke length on this saw is only 13mm. that is quite short but it is understandable due to the size. You can comfortably cut through 50mm on wood and 50mm on mild metal applications. The handles have been rubber grip to make sure that you don’t slip even when you are working on high ceilings.
- Perfect for small jobs such as reaching into awkward to reach spaces inside cavities, cutting drywall, cutting through nails/screws, pipes etc.
- Comes with an LED job light.
- Good pricing for features provided.
- High speeds for effective cuts.
- Can be used with jigsaw blades.
- 3 years warranty when you register online.
- Has no carry case.
- You need to purchase batteries and charger separate.
The Makita DJR185Z Cordless Mini Reciprocating Saw is a mini wonder that separates itself from the competition by being small. Because of its size, it is only appropriate for small jobs though.
The stroke length is also limited therefore DIY enthusiasts will have an easy time dealing with small projects. The speed is higher to make up for its small size. We like that the features like the trigger have been designed with mechanical steps to make speed control easier.
The unit does not come with a carry case, however, this means you will have to find a way to store it properly. Remember to include the price of the batteries and charger to know the overall cost. This mini saw is of good quality but should not be tasked with big jobs.
One thing to remember, this is not an alternative to the bigger reciprocating saws we have reviewed, This is one on its own which is great when used for what it’s designed for.
Reciprocating Saw Buyers Guide
These kinds of saws are very popular with both home user looking for a good multipurpose saw and professionals such as carpenters, plumbers, electricians and most other professional tradesmen. This is because they are good at cutting up nearly all types of materials from wood floors to decking, to plastic pipes and even steel. They are not really built to give accurate and clean cuts as circular saws do. They are, however, powerful and with the right quality, blades are very effective and extremely useful.
Depending on the scale of work you intend do, you will have to select the right size with the right stroke length as well as take into account other features and your budget.
Here are a few factors that you can consider when you are seeking to buy a reciprocating saw that is right for your own needs.
- Do you want a corded model or the freedom of cordless – When choosing a reciprocating, you will find two kinds of reciprocating saws. The corded saws are generally more powerful since they have a constant power supply all though some cordless models are now just as powerful but are expensive in comparison. Obviously corded models can go for longer and generally are heavier than the cordless ones. The cordless units are generally lighter and easier to use. The fact that they use batteries makes them perfect for taking to different sites where you may not have access to plug sockets. Their flaw is that the batteries need recharging fairly frequently and they have limited power compared to the corded counterparts. In general, good cordless reciprocating saws cost a lot more compared to similar cordless models.
- How much power do you need – In most cases, you find that the power is measured in watts on corded models and volts on cordless models. Whether you are using a corded or cordless unit, you need to gauge how much power you need. If you are working on small amounts of work or just need a model for some home tasks then there is no need to get a very powerful saw and can settle for models with slightly less power. Heavy-duty machines will take up more energy so more powerful batteries are needed if using a cordless model and larger batteries cost more. You will find that most models are between the 700w and 1100w. For DIY enthusiasts 700 watts or 18 volts is fine and professionals will need to look at a 1100w model.
- Look at the stroke length and speed – Usually, the stroke length refers to the distance the blade travels back and forth. The longer the stroke the more thickness of the material you can through. You will find models ranging from 3/8-1 ¼ and so forth. If you find a model that offers adjustable measurements, you can consider it for the convenience. Speed is a very important factor that cannot be overlooked. The faster the saw travels the faster the work gets done. Smaller units have slower speeds compared to the larger unit with bigger motors. The speeds usually measured in strokes per minute can be adjusted depending on the range of the product. You will do well with high speeds so as to get through different materials. Also, be on the lookout for models with adjustable speed mechanisms where you can adjust the speed to the job at hand making the saw more versatile.
- Consider blade quality – The blade quality determines how precise your cuts are and how well it cuts through the material. The more teeth per inch the more likely you are able to have a neater finish. The material that fashions the blade needs to be durable and flexible. You will find blades made from different materials and styles. You will meet good quality like High-speed steel among others. The teeth styles can be milled or ground which gives off a different finish. When purchasing blades look for blades that are designed for the material you intend to cut such as wood or metal and in general, the more expensive the blades the better they are all though you can get some good aftermarket alternatives much cheaper than branded blades.
- Ease of use – You want a tool that has easy to use mechanisms. There are models that come with an easy blade attachment mechanism so you can quickly and easily change the blade with ease. There are models on the other hand that come with tools like Allen keys just to change the blade and usually takes longer. You will get models that allow the blade to rotate. This is just some of the things to look for.
- For units that have an adjustable shoe, it becomes more convenient. You are able to adjust the base according to the angle that you are cutting at. The shoe offers much-needed support and stability.
- There are manufacturers that offer storage cases to enable mobility and storage options. The storage case should be constructed from durable materials so as to house the reciprocating saw for extended periods of time. Cheap plastic cases leave the tool vulnerable to impact damage that can occur accidentally.
- There are models with auto brushes. The brushes allow the tool to be inactive immediately when called upon to do so. The brushes also prevent the much-needed motor from unnecessary damage that may occur.
- Make sure that the weight of the unit is balanced and the handles ergonomically designed. That way you will be assured of the feel of the model. If it is too heavy, you will not be able to work for long periods without stress to your arms. Adjustable hands allow the user to find a comfortable grip despite the size of their hands so be on the lookout for these features. Both Ryobi and DeWalt are well known for ergonomic design.
- Consider your budget – Money makes the world go round. The amount of money you are willing to spend will affect the general quality of the product offered. We found that there is no need not spend ridiculous amounts of money to get an effective tool and if you need a simple model for home use then there are some really good models for less then £100 but a good cordless model with battery and charger will cost at least £160.
- Warranty length – Warranties allow the manufacturer to show confidence in the making of a product. As a consumer, a warranty lets you test out the validity of a product. If it falls short you can return it or get it exchanged depending on the terms and conditions. Most good models usually come with 2-3 years warranty which can usually be extended by registering your product online so its all worth doing and not putting off.
Safety and User Tips
- Anticipate various objects when cutting through walls so as to avoid live wires and piping, using a Multi-Scanner / Stud Finder
- The blades have a tendency to get heated while using, avoid touching the blade so as not to burn your fingers. It’s amazing how many times we hear of people touching blades.
- Ensure that the unit is removed or unplugged while attempting to change the saws blade.
- Usually, kickbacks are not experienced very often with reciprocating saws but it can happen so make sure to be in a stable position so as to control the kickback, pushing the saw again the shoe reduced this and reduced vibrations.
- Make certain that the blade is well fixed to avoid the blade jumping or snapping.
- Safety gear like protective glasses and gloves are recommended when working with objects like metal.
- If you are planning on using the saw to cut through wood with nails. Be sure to control the speed so as to avoid unnecessary kickback.
Our Final Conclusion
By the end of the day, you have plenty of choices available to you out there. No matter your brand preference or price range, there’s surely a reciprocating saw for you from the ones reviewed above or in the marketplace. With our buyer’s guide, you can also be confident when making your selection.
Below are our top recommendations in the form of editor’s choice, best cordless and best-corded models.
Other articles you may be interested in
Last update on 2020-04-03 at 11:09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API