Last updated on April 21st, 2023
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
Comparing long reach petrol hedge trimmers
Long reach hedge trimmers (which are sometimes known as pole hedge trimmers) are suitable for cutting taller hedges to a height of approximately 12ft, which a conventional-sized hedge trimmer would not be suitable for because they are unable to reach the whole hedge.
Using ladders can be dangerous and by using a long reach hedge trimmer, it means you can keep both feet on the ground, making it a much safer option. One of the things I like about long reach petrol hedge trimmers is that you can also rotate the hedge trimmer head 90 degrees to safely trim the top of hedges too.
Top 5 Best Long Reach Hedge Trimmers
1. BUKO 52cc Long Reach Garden Multi-Tool With Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
This is actually a garden multi tool and a model that I’ve been so impressed with that I decided it wouldn’t be right not to include it in this review. So, if you looking for a reliable long reach petrol hedge trimmer, then there is a good chance that you might also find a long reach chainsaw useful.
What I discovered is that you can buy a garden multi tool which includes some extra attachments such as strimmer and brush cutter for not much more than just buying it as petrol long reach hedge trimmer only.
So this BUKO Multi tool is powered by a 52cc 2-stroke engine and I have found it to be very reliable and easy to start. The overall build quality is also very good but the value for money really is hard to beat.
The hedge trimmer with the extension will give you an impressive reach of 3.4 meters and the overall quality of the attachment is very good. As you can see below, you can also rotate the head 90 degrees which makes cutting the tops of the hedges much easier.
The other attachment I have found very useful is the 25cm chainsaw attachment which comes in handy, its great for cutting thicker branches the hedge trimmer cannot do but it’s also great for pruning branches of trees.
So the hedge trimmer is 42cm long which is pretty standard but the tooth gap is 20mm so it will essentially cut any branches up to around 18mm in diameter. To give you an idea I have been using it to cut established leylandii, laurels and beech that hadn’t been cut in a few years and it did this no problem.
Now at full length, it does tend to get heavy after a while but this is the same for all petrol long reach hedge trimmers and it’s more noticeable when used at its full extension. I usually just take a few more tea breaks and use it without the extension to cut the hedge first which is not too heavy and then finish the top of the hedge off with the extension.
So as this is a multi tool and not just a long reach hedge trimmer, it also comes with a strimmer attach which can also be used with the brush cutters blades as shown below.
I have also been using the strimmer and brush cutter to clear some overgrown areas on the nursery and they work well, the strimmer also has a bump and feed head so you can automatically feed new strimmer line while bumping it on the ground while its spinning.
Overall, I think if you’re looking for a decent long reach petrol hedge trimmer, then I would consider the BUKO Petrol Multi Tool as includes the hedge trimmer and chainsaw attachments you get with all the other long reach hedge trimmers but also the brush cutter and strimmer attachments for not much more money.
I really have been impressed with the BUKO multi tool and it’s an excellent piece of kit and well worth considering which is why I have named it my best pick.
2. Mitox 5250SRK Pro Series Double-Sided Petrol Hedge Trimmer
BEST FOR PROFESSIONALS
Features and specifications
- Perfectly designed with professional and serious gardeners in mind.
- Powerful and reliable 26.3cc 2-stroke Kawasaki engine.
- Long reach of 1676mm for trimming tall hedges with ease.
- Double-sided blades that can pivot to 135 degrees for trimming the top of hedges without ladders.
- Lightweight design at only 6kg.
- 5-year domestic warranty and 3 years for professional use for full peace of mind.
This model is powered by a reliable 26.3 cc 2-stroke Kawasaki engine that has efficient fuel consumption and is trusted by professionals around the world, it really is a great little engine, compact and powerful.
The adjustable hedge trimmer is equipped with a 52.5cm double-sided blade that cuts through hedges with ease up to a 135-degree angle which is great for trimming the top of hedges. With an overall length of 1676mm, one can easily reach the top of most hedges (with the exception of very tall hedges) but it should easily be long enough to trim a 6ft hedge.
At only 6kg, it’s not that heavy for a petrol model, some other petrol models we compared it against weighed around 10kg. It also incorporates an easy to start recoil system for efficiency and easy starting.
This model is accompanied by a 5-year domestic and 3-year commercial warranty for full peace of mind. For professional use, we would recommend this model over any other but for personal occasional use, you might want to consider a more affordable option.
3. Trueshopping 52cc Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Features and specifications
- 52cc Engine provides lots of power
- Two-stroke air-cooled engine
- Power: 2.2KW, 3HP
- Weight: 7KG
Trueshopping does a few different engine sizes of long reach hedge trimmers, but the 52cc model is the most powerful. The pole extends to 3 metres which means it will reach the tops of most hedges. The trimmer can be moved to 10 different trimming angles making trimming the top of hedges easy.
4. Maxtra Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Features and specifications
- 46cm double-edged cutting blade
- Two-stroke 33cc Engine, 0.9kw
- Anti Vibration system for smoother use
- 2 position choke for hot and cold starts
Powered by a 33cc engine, producing 900 watts of power this long reach hedge trimmer has a pole that reaches from 71 inches (6ft) to 130 inches (which is just over 10ft long) when extended. The razor edge blades are double-sided and this ensures single pass cutting and the hardened steel guarantees they stay sharp for longer. The trimmer head rotates to 135 degrees giving multiple angle cuts.
5. Kiam Sherwood Multi-Tool 5 in 1 Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
This quality multi-tool includes the following interchangeable heads:
- Hedge trimmer – It rotates from 120 degrees to 270 degrees and has 10 positions, this enables the trimming of the top of hedges with ease. When fully extended it reaches 3200mm / 126″. The cutting blade is 45cm long.
- Strimmer – Ideal for strimming long grass, the edge of lawns and around trees.
- Bruch cutter – Strong steel blade for cutting brambles, nettles etc.
- Pruning chainsaw – Ideal for pruning branches too thick for the hedge trimmer.
Kiam produces quality tools and this multi-tool long reach trimmer is a genuine quality branded product suitable for intensive use so is ideal for landscape gardeners and the trade. The powerful 52cc 2-stroke engine ensures superior performance and reliability and weighs only 6.5kg.
Petrol long-reach hedge trimmers have many advantages over other powered types such as battery and electric. These include:
- They are mobile, meaning they can be taken anywhere without the worry of cables and removing the need for power sockets. All you need is a small tank of fuel and you are good to go for hours without interruption.
- They are more powerful than other types and available in a range of different engine powers to suit everyone’s needs, from the domestic gardener to landscapers and tree surgeons who may use them day in, day out.
- Many long reach hedge trimmers now have a multi-tool fitting and this means that they can attach more tools to the end. Some of these include a small chainsaw for cutting larger branches, a strimmer and a brush cutter. This saves on the overall cost compared to buying all these tools individually.
Another useful feature they have is that the hedge trimmer blade rotates to 90 degrees on the pole, meaning you can also cut the top of a hedge with ease and without the need to stand on ladders or platforms.
Which would we recommend?
Which model we would recommend depends mainly on why you are looking for a long reach hedge trimmer. Maybe you want one for cutting your own hedges, maybe a couple of times a month and are looking for value for money. If this is the case we would highly recommend the BUKO Long Reach Multi-function 5 in 1 long reach hedge cutter.
It offers the best value for money and is powered by a 52cc engine which is the most powerful engine available across the range. It is one of the lightest at 5.7kg and comes with a free tool kit.
For the money, it is an excellent piece of kit. On Amazon, it is very affordable all in all and was one of their bestsellers at the time of this review. If you just want to use it in your own garden, this is probably the one for you.
If you are a landscaper or in the trade and looking for a more robust model to use day in, day out then we would recommend the Kiam Sherwood Multi-Tool 5 in 1 Long Reach Hedge trimmer. It is built for intensive use and has a very powerful 52cc engine. Made with quality in mind, it offers very good value for money. It also comes with protective gloves, ear protectors and protective goggles.
Last update on 2023-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API