Last updated on June 7th, 2021
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
Comparing long reach petrol hedge trimmers
Long reach hedge trimmers (which are sometimes known as pole hedge trimmers) are suitable for cutting taller hedges to a height of approximately 12ft, where a conventional sized hedge trimmer would not be suitable as they cannot reach the whole hedge. Using ladders can be too dangerous and using a long reach hedge trimmer means keeping both feet on the ground making it a much safer option. You can use platforms to stand on but they can be time-consuming to assemble as well as heavy to carry and move around as you work your way along the hedge.
The Mitox 5250SRK Pro Series Petrol Hedge Trimmer is a fantastic choice for professional gardeners and serious home gardeners and offers adequate reach for taller hedges.
The powerful Kawasaki 26.3 cc 2-stroke engine powers the sharp double-sided blades to produce clean cuts. The fact that the cutting head can be adjusted into different angles makes the hedge trimmer easy to use in tight corners and for trimming the tops of hedges.
For professionals, the power and the convenience of the features presented make this model a worthwhile investment and its backed by a 5 year warranty.
Petrol long reach hedge trimmers have many advantages over other powered types such as battery and electric. These include:
- They are mobile, meaning they can be taken anywhere without the worry of cables and removing the need for power sockets. All you need is a small tank of fuel and you are good to go hours without interruption.
- They are more powerful than other types and available in a range of different engine powers to suit everyone’s needs, from the domestic gardener to landscapers and tree surgeons who may use them day in, day out.
- Many long reach hedge trimmers now have a multi-tool fitting, this means that they can attach more tools to the end, some of these include a small chainsaw for cutting larger branches, strimmer and brush cutter. This saves on the overall cost compared to buying all these tools individually.
Another useful feature they have is that the hedge trimmer blade rotates to 90 degrees on the pole, meaning you can also cut the top of a hedge with ease and without the need of standing on ladders or platforms.
Top 6 Best Long Reach Hedge Trimmers
1. Mitox 5250SRK Pro Series Double-Sided Petrol Hedgetrimmer
Features and specs
- Perfectly designed with professional and serious gardeners in mind.
- Powerful and reliable 26.3cc 2-stroke Kawasaki engine.
- Long reach of 1676mm for trimming tall hedges with ease.
- Double-sided blades which can pivot to 135 degrees for trimming the top of hedges without ladders.
- Lightweight design at only 6kg.
- 5-year domestic warranty and 3 years for professionals use for full peace of mind.
This model is powered by a reliable 26.3 cc 2-stroke Kawasaki engine that has efficient fuel consumption and is trusted by professionals around the world and it really is a great little engine, compact and powerful.
The adjustable hedge trimmer is equipped with a 52.5cm double-sided blade that cuts through hedges with ease up to a 135-degree angle which is great for trimming the top of hedges. With an overall length of 1676mm, one can easily reach the top of most hedges with the exception of very tall hedges but it should easily be long enough to trim a 6ft hedge.
At only 6kg, it’s not that heavy for a petrol model, some other petrol models we compared it against weighed around 10kg. It also incorporates an easy to start recoil system for efficiency and easy starting.
This model is accompanied by a 5-year domestic and 3-year commercial warranty for full peace of mind. For professional use, we would recommend this model over any other but for personal occasional use, you might want to consider a more affordable option.
2. Trueshopping 52cc Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Features and Spec
- 52cc Engine provides lots of power
- Two-stroke air-cooled engine
- Power: 2.2KW, 3HP
- Weight: 7KG
Trueshopping does a few different engine sizes of long reach hedge trimmers, but the 52cc model is the most powerful. The pole extends to 3 metres which means it will reach the tops of most hedges. The trimmer can be moved to 10 different trimming angles making trimming the top of hedges easy.
3. Maxtra Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Features and spec
- 46cm double-edged cutting blade
- Two-stroke 33cc Engine, 0.9kw
- Anti Vibration system for smoother use
- 2 position choke for hot and cold starts
Powered by a 33cc engine, producing 900 watts of power this log reach hedge trimmer has a pole that reaches from 71 inches (6ft) to 130 inches (which is just over 10ft long) when extended. The razor edge blades are double-sided which ensures single pass cutting and the hardened steel ensures they stay sharp for longer. The trimmer head rotates to 135 degrees giving multiple angle cuts.
4. Gardencare LR262 Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Features and spec
- 26cc engine, two-stroke engine
- 3-metre reach
- Double-sided blades which rotate to 90 degrees
It is powered by 26cc petrol air cooled 2 stroke engine and features a very strong solid shaft. The cutting blade is 54cm long which is longer than most other models and rotates to 90 degrees making the trimming of tops of hedges easy. It has a reach of 3 metres which means it can cut the tallest of hedges with ease.
Top Long Reach Multi-Tool Hedge Trimmers
Many long reach hedge trimmers can be purchased as a multi-use garden tool and you can often buy these for not much more than just buying the hedge trimmer on its own. This means there are great savings to be made.
5. Trueshopping 52cc Long Reach Multi-function 5 in 1 Multi-Tool
- Hedge Trimmer
- Pruning chain saw
- 1-metre long extension pole for extra length
We have already looked at this model above (purchased as just the long reach hedge trimmer) but the 5 in 1 version comes with the following tool attachments.
Powered by a 52cc air-cooled, petrol 2 stroke engine which provides plenty of power.
6. Selections 42.7cc 4 in 1 Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
It comes with the following attachments:
- Hedge trimmer – blade 45cm long and rotates 90 degrees for easy pruning of the tops of hedges
- Pruner – mini chainsaw for cutting thicker branches
- Brush cutter – cuts through thicker branches at ground level such as brambles
Powered by a 47.2cc 2 stroke engine and with a maximum reach of 2.1 metres it is designed for all types of pruning and cutting in the garden and is a very versatile product, It weighs approximately 14kg and comes with a shoulder strap for easy use.
7. Kiam Sherwood Multi-Tool 5 in 1 Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
This quality multi-tool includes the following interchangeable heads
- Hedge trimmer – It rotates from 120 degrees to 270 degrees and has 10 positions, this enables the trimming of the top of hedges with ease. When fully extended it reaches 3200mm / 126″. The cutting blade is 45cm long.
- Strimmer – Ideal for strimming long grass, the edge of lawns and around trees.
- Bruch cutter – Strong steel blade for cutting brambles, nettles etc.
- Pruning chainsaw – Ideal for pruning branches too thick for the hedge trimmer.
Kiam produce quality tools and this multi-tool long reach trimmer is a genuine quality branded product suitable for intensive use so is ideal for landscape gardeners and the trade. The powerful 52cc 2-stroke engine ensures superior performance and reliability and weighing only 6.5kg.
Which would we recommend?
Which we recommend depends mainly on whether you are looking for a long reach hedge trimmer for cutting your own hedges, maybe a couple of times a month and looking for value for money. If this is the case we would highly recommend the Trueshopping Long Reach Multi-function 5 in 1 long reach hedge cutter.
It offers the best value for money and is powered by a 52cc engine which is the most powerful engine available across the range. It is one of the lightest at 5.7kg and comes with a free tool kit.
For the money, it is an excellent piece of kit. On Amazon, it is very affordable all in and it is one of their bestsellers at the time of this review. If you just want to use it in your own garden, this is probably the one for you.
If you are a landscaper or in the trade and looking for a more robust model to use day in, day out then we would recommend the Kiam Sherwood Multi-Tool 5 in 1 Long Reach Hedge trimmer. It is built for intensive use and has a very powerful 52cc engine. Made with quality in mind, it offers very good value for money. It also comes with protective gloves, ear protectors and protective goggles.
Last update on 2021-06-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API