Last updated on November 18th, 2021
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to steam, bake, grill, roast or fry your food in the same appliance – and save electricity at the same time? Enter the halogen oven. We look at these high-design appliances that cook by infrared light and discuss their pros, cons and features before we make our recommendations.
Some of the models we chose also have an air fryer function for low-fat cooking. And our Best Premium Pick model lets you rotisserie a chicken in the oven as well.
Our Buyer’s Guide presents the features of a worthy halogen oven by addressing the much-asked question of what the differences are between a halogen oven and an air fryer.
Best Pick – Halogen Oven/Air Fryer combo
Best Premium Pick
Top 6 Best Halogen Ovens
- Classic 12 Litre Halogen Oven – BEST PICK
- Daewoo SDA1032 Deluxe 17L 1300W Halogen Air Fryer – Best Halogen Oven/Air Fryer combo
- Cooks Professional Air Fryer– Best Premium Pick
- LIVIVO 17L Halogen Oven Cooker
- Emperial Premium Black 17L Halogen Convection Oven Cooker
- Quest 43890 Halogen Oven
Best Halogen Oven Reviews
1. Classic 12 Litre Halogen Oven
The Classic 12 Litre Halogen Oven uses its 1300W of energy to cook your food with infrared light. You can fit food for a family in its 12L capacity glass bowl which conveniently and easily fits into the stand. The dials for the temperature control (125°C to 250°C) and the timer (up to 60 minutes) are easily seen on the top of the white-domed lid.
You have the usual choice of temperatures to cook your food at, 125°C to 250°C. You can set the timer anywhere up to 60 minutes and just let the halogen oven do its thing. But remember to turn the food halfway through the cooking process for even results.
And you have 12L of volume to cook your meals in. Unfortunately, you can’t increase this volume if you’re having a dinner party as this model doesn’t come with an extender ring. Be careful when removing the lid as it’s hot and you need to have a protected surface to place it on.
This unit is self-cleaning. Add soapy water to the empty bowl and select the thaw/wash option on the temperature control dial.
Please note that this Classic 12 Litre Halogen Oven looks very similar to the Quest 43890 Halogen Oven Low Fat Fryer we review, but without the air fryer part.
- Halogen oven with 1300W of power.
- Bowl is 12L capacity.
- Automatic self-cleaning function makes life easier for you.
- Temperature choice is from 125°C to 250°C.
- Timer has settings from 0 to 60 minutes.
- Comes with: two racks.
- Lid is not hinged.
- Extender ring not included.
- Bright halogen light is in direct view.
The Classic 12 Litre Halogen Oven is a solid family-sized halogen oven. The (included) two racks let you cook food on different levels and the light coming down from the element in the lid ensures that the top of your food is crispy. The automatic self-cleaning option is always welcome. Just don’t look directly at the halogen light.
2. LIVIVO 17L Halogen Oven Cooker with Self-Cleaning 1400W Element
If you’re looking for a larger halogen oven than our Best Pick, consider the LIVIVO 17L Halogen Oven Cooker with Self-Cleaning 1400W Element. The glass bowl of this model holds 12L but comes with an extender ring that increases the capacity to 17L. That’s a significant amount of room to cook food in.
This LIVIVO halogen oven has a temperature range comparable with our Best Premium Pick halogen oven. Choose from temperatures in the range 60°C to 250°C. This gives you the choice of cooking inexpensive cuts of beef at lower temperatures for a longer time. Though the timer only lets you schedule a 60-minute cooking session you could put it on twice if needed.
The 1400W rating is one of the higher ones in this review, and the unit comes in a choice of black or grey. The colour applies to the stand and the domed lid as the bowl is the usual transparent glass. The self-cleaning function is available as a selection on the temperature dial.
- Halogen oven with a 1400W rating.
- Capacity of 12L extends to 17L with the (included) extender ring.
- Temperature range is from 60°C to 250°C.
- Timer is from 0 to 60 minutes.
- Self-cleaning mode on the temperature selection dial.
- Comes with: low and high racks, tongs and stand to put oven on safely.
- Available in black or grey.
- Lid is not hinged.
The LIVIVO 17L Halogen Oven Cooker with Self-Cleaning 1400W Element has enough room (17L) to prepare a meal for a large family or a dinner party. The wide range of cooking temperatures (60°C to 250°C ) is unusual but gives you more options about what you can cook in this halogen oven. The choice of two colours is a welcome nod to the fact that kitchens have décor plans too. This is the unit for you if you’re looking for a straight halogen oven with a larger capacity.
Halogen Oven and Air Fryer combos
3. Daewoo SDA1032 Deluxe 17L 1300W Halogen Air Fryer
Best Pick – Halogen Oven and Air Fryer Combo
The Daewoo SDA1032 Deluxe 17L 1300W Halogen Air Fryer provides the usual options of halogen oven cooking – baking, steaming, grilling etc. – but with the addition of air frying. The extender ring is a convenient accessory if you cook for your family (use the 12L) bowl and then for a larger crowd (add the extender ring for 17L capacity).
The temperature range of 125°C to 250°C covers the requirements of most meals, as does the cooking timer that goes from 1 minute to 60 minutes. This halogen oven comes with a whole variety of accessories including two racks (high and low) to cook foods with different requirements on, two mesh grids to let fat drip through and the always needed pair of tongs.
Clean-up is easy as you just put soapy water in the bowl and select the wash option, which doubles as the thaw feature as well.
- Halogen oven and air fryer combo with 1300W of power.
- Timer for up to 60 minutes of cooking time.
- Temperature control lets you select cooking temp from 125°C to 250°C.
- Self-cleaning oven – just add soapy water and select wash feature on the temperature dial.
- Extender ring included to increase the capacity from 12L to 17L.
- Comes with: lid stand, oil bottle, two mesh grids, high and low racks and a pair of tongs.
- Lid is not hinged.
- Temperature dial not very accurate.
The Daewoo SDA1032 Deluxe 17L 1300W Halogen Air Fryer is our Best Pick – Halogen Oven and Air Fryer model. We like its design and easy to use time and temperature dials on the black domed lid. The Air Fryer option lets you have crispy chips all the time, at the same time as your chicken legs are cooking. This is a highly reviewed halogen oven/air fryer combo at a reasonable price.
4. Cooks Professional Air Fryer Halogen Oven Rotisserie with Digital LCD Display
Best Premium Pick
The Cooks Professional Air Fryer Halogen Oven Rotisserie with Digital LCD Display is the most expensive halogen oven in our review (as of October 2021) but it has the most features. It moves beyond letting you steam, bake, grill, roast or fry your food, adds in air frying as a healthier frying cooking method and takes you all the way to being able to produce rotisserie chicken.
To accommodate all these methods, the temperature range is from 50°C to 230°C – the other models in our review are from 125°C to 250°C. This lets you cook food at a lower temperature, good for inexpensive cuts of meat and roasting meats slowly. The rotisserie function lets you put a chicken part in a basket that rotates as it cooks, or you can skewer the whole chicken on spikes and let it turn slowly.
Along with the adjustable temperature control and the 0 minutes to 60 minutes timer, this Cook’s Professional unit comes with six pre-programmed cooking modes. They’re for roast, fry, bake, stir-fry, grill and barbeque – you may just never need to use your cooker again.
The buttons for all the features are clearly presented on the top of the domed lid and, unlike with other units we review, there’s an LCD digital readout of the time and temperature. You know exactly what’s going on, no guessing what the dial is set to.
With your purchase of this multi-functional halogen fryer come nine accessories (see Pros list for details). Note that there’s no extender ring so you are limited to the glass bowl’s original 10L capacity. There’s also no self-cleaning function so you do have to work a bit after your delicious meals.
- Combination halogen oven, fryer and rotisserie operates at 1300W.
- Bowl has 10L capacity.
- Temperature is adjustable from 50°C to 230°C
- Timer is from 0 to 60 minutes.
- Six pre-programmed modes for roast, fry, bake, stir-fry, grill and barbeque.
- Comes with: dual-height rack, tongs, chicken forks, rotisserie stand, rotisserie cage, baking tray, rack for steak and fish and an oil bottle with spray.
- No self-cleaning function.
- Bowl capacity cannot be extended.
The Cooks Professional Air Fryer Halogen Oven Rotisserie with Digital LCD Display is our selection for the Best premium Pick of the halogen ovens we looked at. It’s multi-functional in a big way with the halogen oven, air fryer and rotisserie. It’s one of the most stylishly designed models we saw and fits into any contemporary kitchen. You receive all the accessories you need for the cooking functions it provides, and six pre-programmed modes so you don’t have to worry about what time and temperature to use for baking a cake or making a stir-fry for example. This is a lot quicker and less expensive than using the oven.
5. Emperial Premium Black 17L Halogen Convection Oven Cooker Air Fryer 1400W
The Emperial Premium Black 17L Halogen Convection Oven Cooker Air Fryer 1400W has all the same features as our Best Pick Halogen Oven, but not so many reviews. It also comes with fewer accessories.
With 1400W of power, this halogen oven with an air fryer produces meals quickly. You can cook for just a few people in the 12L glass bowl or add the extender ring to increase the capacity and cook a whole chicken or a small turkey. Some online reviewers say that the air fryer feature doesn’t produce chips as crispy in a dedicated air fryer, but you do get the roast chicken here as well.
The self-cleaning feature is simple. Add some soapy water to the empty bowl and use the thaw/wash feature available on the top of the dome, on the temperature selection dial. Cooking on two levels at once is easy with the included racks and the mesh frying tray takes care of the chicken wings for you.
- Halogen oven and air fryer in one, with 1400W of energy.
- Time control lets you select from 0 to 60 minutes of cooking time.
- Adjustable temperature control from 125°C to 250°C.
- Glass bowl capacity is 12L; extender ring takes this to a 17L space.
- Self-cleaning turbo wash feature is easy to use.
- Comes with: mesh frying tray, high rack, low rack and tongs.
- Can’t reset the timer once it’s running.
- Lid is not hinged.
The Emperial Premium Black 17L Halogen Convection Oven Cooker Air Fryer 1400W has all the features of the best-reviewed halogen oven/air fryer combo in this review, slightly more power and fewer accessories. You need to supply your own spray oil bottle and mesh grids. That aside, this is a popular choice for this appliance which suits a person/family who entertains.
6. Quest 43890 Halogen Oven – 12L, 1400W
If the thought of filling a 17L cooking bowl with food makes you anxious just a bit, the Quest 43890 Halogen Oven Low Fat Fryer Glass Housing, 12L, 1400W offers some calm. The glass bowl of this halogen oven is just 12L capacity and the unit doesn’t come with an extender ring. This volume is the perfect size for a family or for just one person.
In other ways, the Quest 43980 has most of the features of the best halogen oven/air fryer appliances. The adjustable temperature ranges from 125°C to 250°C, and you can select a cooking period of up to 60 minutes. The air fryer lets you cook with just a very thin coating of oil, saving you unnecessary calories. This model lacks a bit in the accessory department. You just receive two racks – one high and one low – to cook your food one and a pair of tongs. But chances are that you have everything else you need in your kitchen already. This is a self-cleaning model that also has a feature to thaw frozen foods.
- Halogen oven and air fryer along with a convection oven for 1400W of multi-choice cooking.
- Bowl has a 12L capacity.
- Adjustable temperature control goes from 125°C to 250°C.
- Select 0 to 60 minutes cooking times.
- Self-cleaning/wash mode saves you clean-up hassle.
- Comes with: high and low racks.
- No extender ring to increase the capacity of the bowl (also a Pro).
- Lid is not hinged.
The Quest 43890 Halogen Oven Low Fat Fryer Glass Housing is a good choice for those who don’t need a huge 17L glass bowl to cook their meals in. With all the features of larger halogen oven/air fryer combos, this Quest model gives you 14L of cooking space. This is enough for meals for individuals, couples or a small family. You receive the basic two racks and the ever-necessary tongs, but you need to supply any other tools you use.
Do you store your wine in your regular fridge? why not consider a wine fridge and check out my top models worth considering here
A halogen oven not only saves you on your electricity costs, but it’s multi-functional, letting you grill, bake, steam, toast, frying and even warm food in one appliance. In this Buyer’s Guide, we present the features of the best halogen ovens by answering the much-asked question – What’s the difference between a halogen oven and an air fryer?
What’s the difference between a halogen oven and an air fryer?
The differences between a halogen oven and an air fryer are few but significant. They may influence your decision about which one to buy.
- Uses light from a halogen lamp to cook food
- The Cooks Professional Air Fryer Halogen Oven Rotisserie is our Best Premium Pick. This is a halogen oven, an air fryer and a rotisserie, all in one. It looks smart and comes with all the accessories you need to impress your family and guests with your cooking.
- Has a clear bowl so you can see the food inside as it cooks
- Capacity is usually 5-17L; some models have an extender ring to increase the capacity of the bowl.
- Some models are self-cleaning; just add soapy water and select the thaw/wash option on the temperature dial.
- Lid gets hot during cooking period; use an oven mitt if the lid is not hinged.
- Food becomes crispy on the top.
- Can separate foods to cook on different levels using the racks (usually included).
- Capacity is usually 10-17L.
- Uses heat to cook food; like a miniature convection oven.
- Capacity is usually limited (1L to 4 L) so you can’t cook a whole chicken.
- Uses a very small amount of oil, for healthy food.
- Food crisps up all around.
Both usually have:
- Temperature control selection.
- Timer up to 60 minutes.
- Compact design that sits on countertops, though air fryers are generally smaller.
- May have preset cooking programs for meat, chips, etc.
- Need to toss or turn food in the middle of cooking.
- Similar cooking times.
Combo halogen oven and air fryer
Some of the models in our halogen oven review combine the oven with an air fryer so you don’t have to choose one appliance over the other.
A halogen oven uses less electricity than a regular oven and doesn’t heat the kitchen up uncomfortably. This countertop cooking appliance can cook foods on different levels within the glass bowls, providing you with a visual insight into how your meal is progressing.
As well as straight halogen ovens, we select models that combine with the features of an air fryer and yet even other cooking methods. I love multi-functional appliances of all kinds, and this one uses less electricity as well.
Our Best Pick of halogen ovens is the Classic 12 Litre Halogen Oven. This has all the features needed in a halogen oven and a small 12L glass bowl for those who don’t cook large size meals.
Our Best Pick – Halogen Oven and Air Fryer is the Daewoo SDA1032 Deluxe 17L 1300W Halogen Air Fryer. This model gives you well-cooked food using any of the regular halogen oven cooking methods along with the edgy cooking style of an air fryer.
Our Best Premium Pick is the Cooks Professional Air Fryer Halogen Oven Rotisserie. With all its cooking method selections, its top-of-the-line features and its contemporary styling, watching your meals cook may become your new entertainment.
Last update on 2021-11-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API