Top 6 Best Knapsack Sprayers For 2017 – Reviews and Comparison
Backpack Garden Sprayer Reviews
The landscape that surrounds your house is very important towards the overall neatness of your home. For gardening enthusiasts, you take measures to ensure that those nasty little creatures don’t gobble up your plants. To effectively deal with these weeds and pests, the best backpack sprayer comes in handy. The purpose of the garden sprayer is to apply fungicides, pesticides and herbicides to overgrown or unwanted weeds.
With numerous options available in garden centres and online stores such as Amazon, it’s hard to differentiate between quality sprayers and mediocre ones. So, how do you choose a quality garden sprayer? One that is made from strong materials and will last for years? A sprayer that is comfortable to carry on your back and doesn’t leak? We are going to address such concerns and more to help you make the right choice from the different garden sprayers available today.
Below is the winner of our 'Top Pick Award', the 12 Litre Greenkey Knapsack Sprayer which is the best garden sprayer for both amateur and professional gardeners alike due to its high quality construction, large capacity and quality.
Be sure to read our full guide to learn more about the features available and how to decide which garden Knapsack sprayer would be suitable for your own needs.
Knapsack & Backpack Sprayer Buyers Guide
The current market has a variety of sprayers to get rid of those pests. There are two common main types available: diaphragm sprayers and piston sprayers. These cover wide areas without spreading the contents over unwanted areas.
Piston pumps are usually characterized by the upwards and downwards motion while dispensing the liquid. Through pumping, the pressure required to spray the liquid is achieved. The piston pump can generate pressure as high as 90 psi.
Diaphragm pumps use the same principal of using pressure to dispense the liquid. The most notable differences between the two, is that the diaphragm can withstand harsh chemicals. The other difference between the two is that, the diaphragm is costlier and that it can pass smaller abrasive particles through its system.
Here are some of the things to consider before buying a sprayer:?
- 1. Functionality - Before selecting a pump that suits your needs, you need to check on functionality. Whether for woody plants or vegetables you may need sprayers that best serve the purpose. The solution to be used also determines the kind of sprayer to be used. Diaphragm sprayers are known to handle harsher chemicals better than piston sprayers. They also need to meet the pressure and area allocation requirements to carry out the intended purpose.
- 2. Durability and maintenance - Depending on the overall number of uses, every garden requires a durable pump. It must be able to handle the liquid being dispensed. The tank in especially, should be comprised of a high density material preferably polyethylene strengthened by UV protection. The other parts like seals and hoses should be made of durable material to manage the constant wear and tear caused by the chemicals.
- 3. Motorized or manual - This is entirely dependable on your preferences or if you are covering new ground. Generally, manual sprayers are generally recommended for treating foreign infestations. Motorized sprayers are usually used when large parts of land need to be covered. Be sure to keep an eye out for sprayers with switchable side nozzles to promote easy spraying.
The main differences in motorized and manual sprayers are many. Some of the more notable ones include, motorized sprayers are heavier, more expensive and require more attention during maintenance than the manual ones. If you do opt for the motorized be sure to check how long the batteries hold power without requiring recharge.
- 5. Spray lance - To prevent harmful leaks from getting to unwanted places, select a spray wand capable of minimizing leaks and still have accurate aim. Keep in mind to select spray wands that are compatible with the caps and nozzles. Insist on getting information on the quality of materials.
- 5. Safety & Comfort - The overall comfort and health of the user is paramount. Features included such as wand grip and pump handle will relieve the operator of unwanted fatigue. The straps have to be padded and the tanks ergonomically designed just to make carriage easier. Search for rubber seals that are resistant to softening and swelling that causes prevalent leaks.
- 6. Reputable brands - Look out for reputable brands that have great reviews from previous users. Reputable brands provide high quality products with warrants and guarantees. When something goes wrong with the pump within the warranty, the company will be liable and you can quickly get the issue resolved.
- 7. Maintenance - Depending on the pump used or the solution, you can use either water or a recommended tank cleaner so as to remove corrosive material and blockages in nozzles. During dire weather conditions like winter, the application of anti-freeze will enhance usage. Considering that anti-freeze is corrosive and toxic, you should take care when handling this compound.
Lubricate all major joints to prevent rust and dryness that may lead to cracking. Cracking encourages leaks. Keep in stock spare parts that need constant replacing, so that you are able to fix issues when emergencies arise.
- 8. Calibration - Proper calibration is crucial in setting trajectory. Factors to consider during calibration include, walking speed, required output per minute and the swath width.
Make sure to:
- Clean the nozzle and sprayer
- Measure out pressure requires for estimated surface
- Take a container and spray inside with equal pressure and time to work out the sprayers output.
With all this done you are now ready to pick out the best backpack sprayer according to your needs.
Our Best 6 Knapsack Sprayers
The following are the best back sprayers in different capacities. Whether you are looking for a small backpack sprayer for your valued rose garden or a large sprayer to deal with the weeds in your patio or off your drive, you are sure to find one that can finish the job.
Greenkey 12L Knapsack Sprayer Review
- Long reach lance.
- Comes with 4 separate nozzles.
- Supplied with adjustable straps.
The Greenkey 12L Knapsack Sprayer is ideal for expert gardeners searching for a relatively large capacity sprayer that is built for broad use. The sprayer comes with 4 separate nozzles that can be changed depending on what you have to spray. The four nozzles integrate a fan jet for precise spraying, a conical head cone spray which can be balanced from a fly to a fine mist, dual conical which produces two cone shaped sprays and a 4-hole nozzle which is ideal for high volume spraying.
It comes with a long reach lance allowing you to make hard sprays to reach into hard to get places. The trigger has a built-in lock to lessen the strain on your fingers during long periods of spraying. The translucent knapsack allows you to check at a glance how much solution is in the tank and in turn you are able to know when to refill.
The tank comes with adjustable shoulder straps along with shoulder pads for giving extra comfort. It’s built from high-quality materials and is accompanied with a 2-year warranty. The box also contains assembly instructions for the lance and hose and handle.
- We found that this sprayer cannot be used with solvent based fluids.
Our recommendation - Winner of our 'Best Pick', this is a top quality sprayer comes with an impressive 2-year warranty which is quite generous since most products come with a warranty of only 12 months.
The Greenkey 12L Knapsack Sprayer is built for both home gardeners and professionals to be used in various circumstances ranging from spraying pesticides and fungicides on extensive beds and borders to spraying weeds on modern car parks. Greenkey have managed to ensure it still offers excellent value for money while still manufacturing a top quality sprayer.
Cooper Pegler classic knapsack sprayers CP15 15L
**BEST FOR TRADE USE**
- Reinforced hose for high pressure resistance.
- Lid comes with separate seal and air vent for secure locking.
- UV stabilised polypropylene tank for durability.
- Low mesh strainer for filtering out dirt.
- Supplementary filter on trigger.
- Equipped with pressure control valve.
This backpack sprayer comes packed with an array of unique features ideal for professional gardeners. Featuring a design that has been supported by professionals for more than three decades, the sprayer is a standout amongst the most trusted garden knapsack sprayers. This sprayer has been used in the harshest and toughest situations around the world and passed the test.
The durability originates from the distinctive diaphragm pump and its integrated pressure control system. The diaphragm pump system is extremely tough with an improved outline to guarantee that there’s no friction between the diaphragm and the surrounding surfaces. This makes pumping far less demanding and the need for grease is killed, with just normal cleaning necessary. The unique polypropylene material used to build the pump additionally makes it pretty adaptable and tough, avoiding wear and tear brought on by filthy water and other abrasives.
The use of brass components also enhances the solidness of this sprayer as well as the UV stabilisation which prevent sun harm. Additionally, the 500mm glass fiber reinforced plastic lance and high pressure resistance hose are both tough accessories, providing dependable performance with an extensive variety of applications.
The CP 15 sprayer features a large 140mm tank opening which averts chemical spillages when filling. The mesh strainer plays a great role in reducing the risk of dirt contaminating the tank. In addition, the pressure control valve has fixed settings for spraying either herbicides or fungicides and bug sprays.
The tank’s ergonomic design offers comfortable and secure use at all circumstances. The polyester cushioned shoulder straps and carry handle ensure that working and transporting the CP 15 is easy and comfortable as possible. There’s a separate seal and air vent on the lid to ensure no fluid escapes while being used. The intelligent design of the pump means it can be operated with either right or left hand, making it appropriate for every user. The CP Classic 15 also comes with a convenient measuring jug.
- This backpack sprayer is very expensive when compared to most other models.
Our recommendation - The Cooper Pegler classic knapsack CP15 is a sophisticated backpack sprayer equipped with high end features. The 15-litre capacity is ideal for most users whether you have a small or large garden. However, it’s the most expensive item on our list but the quality and performance are unmatched.
This is by far the best option for professional use. However at 3 to 4 times more expensive than most other sprayers on the market, it's probably not suitable for most home users, solely because of the expensive price tag.
Faithfull SPRAY 16AV Pressure Sprayer Knapsack 16L
- Tough construction.
- Shatterproof and frost resistant.
- 16-litre easy carry knapsack.
- Trigger lock for continuous use.
- Adjustable spray nozzle.
Faithfull designed this sprayer with bigger jobs in mind by making it a 16-litre capacity. Even with that large size, you’ll be surprised that the transparent container is pretty lightweight and far easier to carry than most other sprayers. The real value of the Faithfull SPRAY 16AV lies in the strong construction and high-quality design. We found that it’s built from shatterproof and frost resistant materials.
The pump action is quite easy and able to maintain a high pressure right to the dregs of the liquid. You can easily cover a severely overgrown 200 sq. mtr garden within an hour with a single refill. Moreover, it’s one of the few sprayers which are equipped with a safety valve. It can deal with difficult tasks that require sprinkling different garden chemicals including pesticides, herbicides, fungicides, and composts. The adjustable spray nozzle even allows you to change between fine-to-stream splashing modes.
Working with this backpack sprayer is also simple. The straps are easy to fit and adjust plus they are comfortable to wear even when the knapsack is full. Just stand the knapsack where you can kneel and slid your arms in backwards. We recommend having someone to assist you if you are going to work with the knapsack with 16-litres of liquid. If working alone, then at most 10 litres will be easier.
- Some people might find the knapsack quite heavy when filled to capacity which also makes it difficult to set on one’s back singlehandedly.
Our recommendation - The Faithfull SPRAY 16AV is ideal for large areas such as greenhouses and vegetable plots. Or if you have an overgrown garden, then you’ll love this backpack sprayer as it will save time for refills. It the cheapest on our list while still being manufactured to a very good standard.
Oregon 518771 Backpack Sprayer Review
**Large 20 Litre Capacity**
- Comes with lance and 2 adjustable spray nozzles.
- Maximum working pressure: 0.2-0.3 MPA and max pressure is 1.0 MPA.
- 0.9-litre pressurized chamber capacity.
- 20-litre working capacity.
- Non-pressurised tank type.
We thought the 16-litre capacity of the Faithfull SPRAY 16AV Pressure Sprayer Knapsack is something to boast about, and then enters the beast. This Oregon holds 20 litres of liquid when full which can clear most large gardens with one fill. It needs some bit of assembly which does take minutes although the instructions are not clear.
Lifting this sprayer onto your back will not be particularly easy and might take some jiggle to get your second arm through the strap. But once on, it feels secure and comfortable. The issue is how long you can carry it on your back; most people will struggle with this about half an hour or so. It comes with two adjustable spray nozzles; the fan nozzle and the spray nozzle. The fan spray fits tight and sprays a storm with little effort, covering a wide area. The spray nozzle on the other hand gives you more control over where the liquid goes.
- One bad thing with this backpack sprayer is that it becomes heavy with time plus the straps are quite then and not well padded. The assembly instructions are also tiny to read.
Our recommendation - We love the size of the Oregon 518771 backpack sprayer but the discomfort that comes with carrying 20 litres is unbearable. Otherwise, this is another sprayer to go for if you have a large garden and can handle the extra weight on your back.
Matabi Supergreen 16 Knapsack Sprayer Review
**3 Function Design**
???????1.5 bar for herbicide application, 3 bar function for fungicide and insecticide application, and the free flow function.???????
- Adjustable nozzle.
- Large filling mouth.
- Safety release valve.
- Level indicator.
- Adjustable padded straps.
- Automatic decompression valve.
- Adjustable pressure regulator.
- Internal tank reinforcing ribs.
The Matabi Supergreen 16 comes in a lightweight design which reduces fatigue whilst being used. The straps of this sprayer are adjustable meaning they can easily fit all sorts of bodies and the padding makes them pretty comfortable. The filling mouth is large enough so there won’t be any spills when refilling the knapsack.
It features a screw connected hose and that means there are no clamps needed for the hose connection. The fiberglass lance measures 3.2m which is quite ideal for high spraying and has an extension of 0.5m for horizontal and vertical applications, and up to 1.5m extension for high work.
The pressure regulator is big bonus considering not many sprayers are equipped with this feature. It has 3 functions; 1.5 bar for herbicide application, 3 bar function for fungicide and insecticide application, and the free flow function. The pressure regulator ensures even treatment and it’s quite environmentally-friendly.
The sprayer comes with a conical hood and a rectangular hood which both work to protect the adjacent crops when applying herbicides. Just fix either on the nozzle end and you won’t be worried about spraying the chemicals in the air, perhaps even land on your face. The box contains a set of nozzles designed for different applications – pesticides, fungicides and insecticides.
- The sprayer requires constant pumping to keep up the pressure plus the straps can sometimes unhook.
Our recommendation -The Matabi Supergreen 16 is one of the best equipped sprayers available and it’s no surprise that the good features all combine to an expensive sprayer. We recommend using it for outdoor work such as vegetable plots and gardens or for crops where you must work with a single hand.
Hozelock 12L Pressure Sprayer Plus Review
**Could be better**
- Large capacity.
- Ergonomic design.
- Adjustable straps.
- Adjustable cone nozzle.
- Lockable on/off flow control.
- 3 year warranty.
The tag says “12L” but the manufacturer recommends a maximum fill of 10 litres. In any case, this Hozelock is capable of spraying large areas whether pesticides or weedkillers. The sprayer consolidates various fantastic easy to use pragmatic components. It comes finished with a dosing cap and a one of a kind last use indicator so you don’t need to stress over the last solution used.
It has wide foot grips which help stability while working the sprayer and the inherent pressure release valve stops any over pressurizing and makes it simple to discharge when putting away. The ergonomic design makes it practical to carry on your back and the adjustable straps only make it convenient for almost anyone.
The adjustable cone nozzle switches between jet and mist meaning you can make both light and powerful sprays while the lockable on and off flow control ensures you enjoy continuous spraying. This Hozelock comes with a three year warranty, perhaps making a statement on its durability. Keep in mind that some parts need to be together before you start working the spray.?
- The assembly instructions are somehow confusing. For instance, the advertising photo shows the arm on the right side while the manual displays it on the left. It’s also an expensive sprayer for the size of 10 litres.
Our recommendation - Designed for holding 10 litres max, the Hozelock 12L Pressure Sprayer Plus has many features which you would anticipate from a quality unit. The pressure release valve, on/off flow control and the innovative last drop technology are the major selling points. This sprayer is perfect for beginners who want a quality product and expert gardeners who don’t mind the price.
Our Final Conclusion
Buying a quality garden sprayer should be every gardener’s goal. There are several choices you can make and whilst some backpack sprayers are expensive, they are usually worth the money because you’ll be sure to have a long-lasting sprayer. There are still many quality models that won’t break the bank and counter-checking with our guide can help you land a reliable sprayer.
Amateur gardeners looking for a quality sprayer to use a few times a year can opt for cheaper models which when given proper maintenance, they can serve for some years. Professional gardeners will be better off investing in a high-quality sprayer for extensive use.
There must be that one great sprayer that’s good for most situations yet not the most expensive and we recommend the Greenkey 12L Knapsack Sprayer as our 'Best Pick' for this reason. The four different nozzles for adjusting the spray power are the key selling points here. Its long range lance also targets the difficult to reach areas and the quality is top notch, with a 2-year warranty on offer. Kill weeds almost anywhere with this affordable spray.
Best Professional Sprayer
The Cooper Pegler Classic Knapsack Sprayer comes on top of our list with equipped suitable features for handling, performance and durability. An ergonomic design along with adjustable straps makes it comfortable to work with for extended periods. Features like pressure control valve, mesh strainer and reinforced hose all add up to unrivaled performance and it’s hard to find any other product combining them all together. The UV stabilisation and the high-quality polypropylene material used on the tank’s construction mean this tank can stand up to the most adverse situations. However, you have to dig your pocket to enjoy the benefits as its very expensive.
Best Large Garden Sprayer
If you have to deal with massive gardens and greenhouses, then the Oregon 518771 Backpack Sprayer ?is your best bet. It carries a whooping 20 litres of liquid, if only you are strong enough to bear the weight, and comes equipped with two adjustable nozzles. It does require some bit of assembly but once on, you’ll enjoy spraying over vast pieces of weed fields.
Have your say
That’s it. We hope our guide and each Knapsack sprayer review have provided meaningful solutions to your spraying tasks. Do you know any other models that you think we might have missed out? Feel free to share with us your thoughts in our comments section.