Top 10 Best Mitre Saws – Detailed Reviews & Buyers Guide 2017
Best Mitre Saw UK Reviews
A mitre saw is an extremely handy tool for anyone looking to make precise cuts over and over. The challenge – as always – is finding the best mitre saw for your money since there are many brands in the market and every other model claims to be the best mitre saw. There is so much information on the web about mitre saws but we have narrowed down and summarised everything to lead you to the correct machine for your needs.
We have prepared a straightforward guide to help you understand the important things you must consider before buying a mitre saw. We have additionally highlighted the crucial features to look for in the best tool. Our mitre saw reviews will give you all the information you need to make an informed decision about which model to purchase. Of course, you also need to keep in mind of the tools limitations as every other one has its own flaws.
Take a brief look at our best model below then scroll down for the buyer’s guide and the reviews later on.
Mitre Saw Buyer's Guide
There are many online DIY stores that sell a wide range of mitre saws, but which one is suitable for you? That’s where this guide comes in and take you through the process of finding the best tool, especially for beginners.
Why buy a mitre saw
Most people try DIY jobs without the insight of the right tools that they need to make the task smooth and fast. How many times have you attempted a job that you thought was easy then ended up with a terrible finished product? You are not the only one. Once you get online to research the project with our mitre saw reviews, you will soon realise that a good tool such a mitre saw will complete the job quickly and deliver a desirable finish.
Studying our mitre saw reviews will without doubt give you more interesting ideas about the applications of the particular tool. If you want to cut various materials including wood and plastics at different angles, then mitre saw is a must. As a matter of fact, it is a good idea to have a mitre saw at home even if you are not into construction.
Many home repairs and maintenance jobs will require the use of pipes, planks and other materials that you will need to cut at specific angles. For that reason, having a mitre saw can save you money eventually since you will be able to do the jobs with your DIY skills. The most common projects that require the services of a mitre saw include: furniture building, crown moulding, small building construction and remodeling and home improvement.
Assessing the mitre saw that you need?
There are a number of factors that you need to consider before buying a mitre saw. Let’s look at the most important factors below:
Type of cuts you will work with
Knowing the cut types you will be making will determine the type of mitre saw that is suitable for you.
- Cross cuts: the ordinary cut which involves cutting the workpiece to length as you would do with a regular saw.
- MItre cut: it is angled across the width of the workpiece you are dealing with.
- Bevel cut: an angle cut that goes through the breadth of the material.
- Compound cut: a combination of the mitre and bevel cuts. It’s angled across both the width and the thickness of the material, simultaneously.
Type of mitre saw to buy
There are 4 types of mitre saws and your specifications will also determine the right one for you.
- Standard mitre saw: it comes with a blade with an attached pivot. This mitre saw stays vertical throughout except when you angle the table in a horizontal position.
- Compound mitre saw: this saw allows you to vertically rotate the pivot to one side, of which in addition to the horizontal rotation of the table, allows cutting in both vertical and horizontal planes.
- Sliding mitre saw: it works similar to the compound mitre saw but it comes with additional arms for the cutter head to slide horizontally and make easy cuts in wide workpieces.
- Dual compound mitre saw: it is similar to the sliding mitre saw, however, the blade can be titled either left or right. It is always the obvious choice for complex projects that require cutting materials in different angles.
Different mitre saws have different cutting capacities. Make sure that whichever you choose is enough for the type of work you want to tackle. The cutting capacity is determined by the blade’s diameter and its sliding capability.
Most blade diameters these days come in 8, 10 or 12 inches. If you will be working with small projects such as small house models or cutting wooden frames, a 10’’ blade might offer just enough capacity. You can go lower for lighter jobs and pick an 8’’ model. We don’t really recommend going lower as you will most likely find your projects expanding soon enough. However, if you are constantly dealing with larger projects such as pillars, roofing elements and such, then you will benefit greatly using a 12’’ diameter blade.
Important features to look out for
In order to be certain that you are buying the right tool, you will have to take into account all of its features in detail. Knowing the features of different products will help choose your ideal machine from the wide range of tools on the market.
Here are the critical features to look for:
- Motor power: mitre saws have varying powers. You don’t always have to go for the most powerful mitre saw as these tools are efficient by default. But if you plan to use the tool on a regular basis, then you can go for the highest power. Generally, larger mitre saws will usually have more powerful motors than smaller saws.
- Comfortable handle: in the most favourable situations, you should hold the mitre saw for a couple of minutes to know how it feels in your hand. However, you will have no room to examine if you are ordering online, so reading reviews can help a lot. Keep in mind that the best tool should be easy to handle and also absorb vibration.
- Electric brake: you may not find this feature in every other model but its usefulness cannot be overlooked. An electric brake slows down the blade quickly after making the cut. Machines without an electric blade will take a while longer to lose momentum and this can potentially mess up your work or even cause injury. With an electric brake, the risk of injuries is reduced greatly and it generally makes the tool easier to use.
- Dust collection: this is a very important feature in any woodworking environment. It not only keeps your workplace clean but also protects the machine itself from sawdust that may get into the tool. Some tools come with dust bags while others have extraction ports for attaching a vacuum.
- Work stand: keep in mind that stands vary to a large extent and you will have to consider which will work best at your work station in order to buy the ideal tool. You also have to take into account the approximate lengths of the material you will be working with since some stands come with specialized extensions to hold long pieces. If you already have a work stand, then you just need to find a mitre saw that can fit in.
- Laser guide: this is not a must feature but it can help you in making more precise cuts. You will have to read through mitre saw reviews to find which laser guide works best as some are not that good.
- Easy blade change: if you are going to work with different materials, then you will have to change blades at some point. This process should be fast and easy so you need to look for a mitre saw that offers an easy blade changing feature. A spindle lock is the most common accessory for such operation.
- Positive stops: these are used to set the angle of the bevel adjustments quickly. They increase the speed and productivity of your work with the saw. The more varied the positive stops, the easier it is to use the tool. Make sure the saw also allows you to make practical incremental adjustments.
An important thing to note is that when searching online, you might land on models intended for the US market. UK customers should not buy American models due to the differences in power supply including the physical plug connections. In terms of power, the best mitre saw UK is rated 240V so you will simply need to plug into a power source.
The simplest way to tell whether a model is a UK or US is by checking the spelling. While we use “mitre saw” in the UK, it is called “miter saw” in the US. Of course, the currency in online stores will also tell you the difference. US models also so not have 3 pin plugs attached as they use 2 pin types. The only reason we point this out is we did see US models available during our research,
All things considered, below are reviews of our top 10 mitre saws in the market today.
TOP 10 COMPOUND MITRE SAW REVIEWS
Makita MLS100 255 mm Electric Mitre Saw Review
Makita is one of the major brands when it comes to power tools and this time they give us the Makita MLS100 255 mm Electric Saw perfect for DIY cutting tasks. This electric saw is powered by a powerful 1500w, 230V motor which provides plenty of power to glide through tough pieces of timber and other materials, with speeds of 4,200rpm. Many mitre saws die when they are pushed to the limit but Makita has made sure that this tool has tons of power in back up to ensure it is not overworked when cutting hard materials.
Hard use might just be too much for budget saws regardless of the possibility that they look like great value. So in the event that you need a saw that you will be using regularly, it is worth considering one with great power.
Speaking of the cut, it is very impressive and will handle pretty large pieces of timber. The max cutting depth is 95mm while the max cut width is 90.5mm, which is great for most tasks in light construction projects, indoor finishing and outdoor woodworking. It cuts either side of the material with cutting angles from 45 degrees to 90 degrees. The quick mitre stops for common angles include 0, 15, 22.5, 30, and 45 degrees while the bevel action can be set at 45 degrees to the left, giving many angles that will suit many complicated angled cuts.
The design features a classic pull down style compound mitre saw. It is quite easy to set up since there are no complicated moving parts that need so much time to set up or probably go wrong.
Weighing about 14kg, the MLS100 is light weight, easy to carry around and transport. Its compact shape means you don’t need a lot of storage space in the shed or garage for it. Its Die-Cast aluminium base robust ensuring no movement while the saw is in action. Any movement may result to a slight change of cutting angle and compromise on accuracy so this tool is perfectly engineered to ensure there is no mess.
There is a removable dust bag that collects debris and it has enough capacity not to be emptied every few minutes. Keeping the dust down not only gives you better visibility but also its important health-wise when you are working in an enclosed space for extended period of time with tools like this.
To keep you at ease while investing your money, the Makita MLS100 255 mm Electric Saw comes with a 3-year manufacturer warranty. While this tool is not on the expensive side, you still want it to last through tough projects. Makita has a good network of distributors and repair centres in the UK to ensure that any problems can be dealt with quickly and replacements are readily available.
- Easy to set up due to its simple, classic design with no complicated parts to fix.
- It has plenty of power and high speeds to tackle most tough jobs.
- It covers all angles with bevel and compound cuts all possible.
- Its Die-Cast aluminium base provides great stability when cutting.
- Light, easy to store and transport.
- It is inexpensive.
- Dust extraction is possible thanks to the included dust bag.
- 3 year warranty for full peace of mind.
- No laser guidance system.
Would we recommend - The Makita MLS100 Electric Saw is a marvelous piece of kit for various cutting tasks. Its robust design makes it ideal for site or workshop use while its 255mm (10inch) diameter blade gives clean, precise cuts. We love its powerful motor and high-speed action along with the ability to cut in various angles. The ease of set up, moderate weight and dust bag make it very convenient for tradesmen and DIY enthusiasts in several situations.
One downside is that the power cable is a bit short for most applications; a longer cable would be perfect.
If you are looking for a classic mitre saw with useful features and a great price, the Makita MLS100 255 mm Electric Saw is a great pick. It is a favourite for most UK customers and in our opinion, it is the best mitre saw UK for both amatuer DIY user and professionals alike. Overall a great saw at a even better price and with 3 years warranty is easy to see why is also a very popular model on Amazon with over 70 reviews.
VonHaus 1500W 8” (210mm) Sliding Mitre Saw Review
**A great alternative to out Best Pick but more affordable**
This is one of the cheapest models available in the market and it has proven to offer great value. The VonHaus 1500W 8” (210mm) Sliding Mitre Saw generates 1500W of power which allows it to easily cut through arrange of materials including wood, plastics, steel and aluminium. The machine is perfectly cut-out to tackle a variety of DIY projects featuring a sturdy steel and plastic construction. A 210mm blade makes easy work of cutting through anything thrown its way.
The mitre saw is fast, clean and accurate, thus capable of making precision cuts by adjusting the height and angle of the blade 45 degrees in either direction. For the ultra-straight cuts and bevel edges, the mitre saw cuts to a maximum depth of 70mm while its combination of tilt and slide mechanism provides an ultimate solution to most applications. It features a laser guidance system which ensures you make accurate cuts every time. The inclusive wood clamp ensures your workpiece stays steady and secure when in use.
When dealing with larger workpieces, the side support bars helps to handle their weight so you can cut with little effort. The mitre saw’s rotating table plus a 2m cord ensures unrestricted movement. There is also an integrated dust bag for mess-free cuts. If all that not impressive enough it comes with a 2-year warranty but you must register it with VonHaus online.
- Voltage – 220 – 240V
- No load speed – 4500rpm
- Blade Arbour diameter – 30mm
- Straight cut capacity – 220*70mm
- Mitre cut – 45 degrees left: 155*70mm
- Accessories: 1 Allen wrench, 2 extension bars
- Powerful mitre saw featuring 1500W motor.
- It makes light work of cutting through various materials thanks to its 210mm blade.
- It is capable of making accurate cuts by adjusting to 45 degrees in either direction, also thanks to its laser guidance system.
- It has a good cutting depth for straight cuts – 70mm.
- The included wood clamp keeps workpieces firm and secure during cutting.
- It offers a broad working area due to its 2m long cable and a rotating mitre table.
- It is possible to collect debris because it comes with a dust bag.
- Construction feels a little cheap and some components feel a little fragile. However for the price its still a very good saw.
Would we recommend - The VonHaus 1500W 8” (210mm) Sliding Mitre Saw is a cheap tool that will make those straight cuts through a variety of materials. It is not of the same quality like the reputable brands such as DeWalt or Makita but it offers value for the money.
We acknowledge the powerful motor fitted in this tool and its ability to cut left or right at 45 degrees, also thanks to the rotating mitre table. The fact that the blade cuts to a max depth of 70mm is great and the laser guidance helps in making precise cuts which is a nice feature you don't often see on cheaper models.
However, the overall build of this tool is just average with some parts found to be flimsy. That means durability is questionable yet the 2-year warranty seems to offer solace in case anything breaks during the period.
If you looking for a powerful mitre saw for light cutting tasks, the VonHaus 1500W 8” (210mm) Sliding Mitre Saw is a good place to start and is perfect for diy enthusiast but professionals would be better investing a little more.
DeWalt DW777 240V 216mm Crosscut Mitre Saw Review
**BEST FOR PROFESSIONALS**
The DeWalt DW777 216mm Crosscut Mitre Saw is another mitre saw that features a classic pull saw design but this one has been improved and updated to suit the contemporary user. It comes with 1800w motor for powerful cutting in every material making it a choice of professionals. Not only that, this tool can withstand a lot of abuse, delivers highly accurate cuts and it gets the job done time and again.
The supplied 24-tooth blade is sharp and gives a very fine cut with a maximum depth cut of 18mm. It is light enough to be portable but we find it better suited for the workshop or garage. At 16.9kg, the DeWalt DW777 240V 216mm Crosscut Mitre Saw is not the lightest to move around but with the extra weight comes a robust quality build.
Dust extraction has been specially designed to take care of the needs of the professional user in heavy applications, protecting from airborne dust particles and thus minismising health risk over extended periods. The base and fence have been engineered to meet the precise needs of the most demanding tasks.
There is a headlock function that allows you to fix the head, restrict the traverse function for trim tasks and make for easy transportation. The mitre saw can cut in many angles with integrated positive stops at 15, 22.5, 30 and 45 degrees, plus a quick release mitre mechanism which is up to 50 degrees.
There is a sliding fence with measuring scale on the left hand for providing enhanced material support and management. Its internal rail design allows huge cutting capacity in a transportable style. The box also contains a blade spanner to help in blade changing and a material clamp for providing improved material support and prevent the slightest movements.
DeWalt backs this tool with a 1-year standard warranty from the date of purchase plus an extended 3-year warranty upon product registration. This needs to be done within 4 weeks of purchase so make sure you do this as soon as possible,
- Excellent dust management that meets the needs of professional users.
- Equipped with a powerful 1800W motor for cutting in all materials.
- Delivers fine, precise cuts thanks to its sharp 24-tooth blade.
- It cuts in many angles due to its integrated positive mitre stops.
- The supplied 2 bench mounting bolts and material clamp gives unmatched stability.
- It is long-lasting due to its tough construction.
- 3 Year warranty when you register online.
- It is a bit expensive.
- The dust collection system is a bit lacking because you have to buy a dust bag or a hose at an extra cost
- No laser guide.
Would we recommend - The DeWalt DW777 240V 216mm Crosscut Mitre Saw is an excellent piece of kit designed for heavy applications. With its powerful motor along with a 24-tooth blade, the tool can saw through many different materials and leave smooth clean cuts. Blade changing is simple with the help of the supplied spanner while there is clamp mechanism for great stability.
Dust extraction is possible yet there is not even a single dust bag provided by DeWalt. This means you have to sort yourself on this. It also lacks a laser guide but then you can always make accurate cuts with this tool.
The DeWalt DW777 240V 216mm Crosscut Mitre Saw is ideal for the toughest of jobs and it can be a great addition to any workshop or site. It is expensive but it is what you need to stand up to heavy use for many years.
Overall one of the best models we have reviewed as with all DeWalt tools, this was expected. Just don't forget to register for the extended 3 year warranty.
Evolution RAGE3+ Multipurpose Sliding Mitre Saw Review
**Best Sliding Mitre Saw**
Using only a single blade, the Evolution RAGE3+ Multipurpose Sliding Mitre Saw cuts through wood (even wood with nails), plastic, steel and aluminium with ease. This is possible with the help of the integrated RAGE technology. It makes fast, clean and accurate cuts, and leaves no sparks or burr when cutting steel. The material also stays cold to the touch unlike ordinary saws that makes the surface hot when cutting.
The mitre saw comes with a powerful 2000W motor plus hi-torque gearbox to handle the most demanding applications. The outer casing is robust and hard-wearing for durability. An in-line handle and switches enables either right or left handed use while blade changing is quick and easy.
With a compound tilt and slide mechanism, this Evolution model is capable of making 300mm width cuts from 0-45 degree bevel, with stops of 0 degrees, 15 degrees, 22.5 degrees, 30 degrees and 45 degrees. You can also make negative stops in the same degree levels. For crown moulding, set the mitre at 31.6 degrees while bevel at 33.9 degrees. The saw cuts 75mm deep by 300mm wide while laser guidance additionally allows you to make precise cuts.
Some other useful features with this tool include a dust bag for collecting debris, end stop and a box spanner to help with blade changing. The box also contains a manual with simple and straightforward instructions. It does come with a warranty of 3 years but it only applies if the tool is purchased only in the UK.
- It makes accurate cuts due to the laser guidance system.
- It offers cutting security thanks to the supplied top clamp.
- It cuts in many angles due to the bevel and side mechanism.
- It cuts a wide range of materials using only one blade.
- Quick and easy blade changing thanks to the supplied accessories.
- It can be used either right or left handed.
- Powerful and durable mitre saw that copes with the most demanding tasks
- 3 year warranty for full peace of mind.
- It is quite big in dimensions so will take up lot of space in your store.
- The base is thin and feels fragile.
Would we recommend - The Evolution RAGE3+ Multipurpose Sliding Mitre Saw With Accessory Pack is a good quality tool which has been made well and is quite powerful.
The clamp is a good feature for stability while cutting and the laser guide on this tool will also ensure you don’t miss on precision. You will as well appreciate the supplied accessories such as dust bag, end stop and box spanner.
On the downside, we find it a huge beast for storage so we advise anyone who likes the tool to bear in mind its dimensions before purchasing.
Overall, it works very well, cuts pretty cleanly, easy to set up and use, and it’s a good quality for its price. It does a cracking job across various materials and it can be a great pick for anyone looking for a powerful and affordable mitre saw for under £150. Impressive machine with a decent 3 year warranty.
DeWalt 305mm Compound Slide Mitre Saw with XPS Review
**Expensive but one amazing saw and is simply unmatched**
The DeWalt 230V 305mm Compound Slide Mitre Saw with XPS is sturdy, innovative and provides impressive size capacity, not only due to its 305mm blade but also because it slides. This model tackles up to 16-inch baseboard or lumber lying flat and angles up to 60 degrees on the right and 50 degrees on the left for incredible versatility.
This model is a double-beveller meaning you can work with extra efficiency and ease since you can make bevel cuts from either direction. This allows you handle up to 345mm crown moulding lying flat. It has remarkable cutting performance in both small and large timbers up to 110 x 303mm. DeWalt made sure to include XPS shadow line cut indicator for quick, accurate blade alignment while illuminating the workpiece for improved productivity with no adjustment required.
A quick release bevel stop setting allows easy and precise setting of the bevel angles up to 49 degrees left or right. It is even easy to use the bevel and mitre controls which makes the machine quick and simple to adjust from one setup to another. A cam action mitre lock function additionally makes mitre setting fast and easy, allowing you to quickly change angles between 0 – 50 degrees left and 0 – 60 degrees right.
The machine has a large dual sliding fence for maximum support when cutting large materials at an angle or even combo angles. Straight horizontal rails use bronze guides to offer maximum accuracy when cutting materials up to 13 1/2 inches wide.
With a compact and portable design, the saw is easy to move within the job site while its dust control ensures you work in a clean and healthy environment. The blade has a variable cutting speed ranging from 1900 – 3800 rpm and its control is strategically placed for easy reach. Variable speed control is useful when cutting other materials other than wood.
There is a dust bag for debris collection and a blade spanner for easy changing of blades. Like other DeWalt power tools, this machine comes with a 1-year warranty which can be extended to 3 years.
- Heavy duty durability due to its robust construction.
- It offers great support when cutting large workpieces thanks to its dual sliding fence.
- It comes with variable speed control for ideal speed selection on various materials.
- It is easy to move around the workplace due to its compact and lightweight design.
- It is easy to adjust the cutting angles either left or right.
- It gives simple and accurate setting of bevel angles in both directions.
- Includes a dust bag for mess-free working.
- 3 Year warranty for full peace of mind.
- Very expensive.
Would we recommend - The DeWalt 230V 305mm Compound Slide Mitre Saw with XPS is an outstanding mitre saw with a brighter XPS system, good dust extraction and increased portability.
The cutting performance is top notch in both small and large materials. Since it has variable speed, you will find it perfect for cutting a wide range of materials. Easy controls including mitre and bevel controls make it very convenient to use.
This product comes with awesome features without any doubt. It is also strong and will last for many years. However, with all its goodies comes a hefty price.
It is actually the most expensive product in our list but performance is unmatched. If you want a full-featured mitre saw for quality work, pick the DeWalt 230V 305mm Compound Slide Mitre Saw with XPS anytime. Fantastic model, if your after the best you want find better.
Hitachi C8FSE Slide Compound Mitre Saw 216mm Review
The Hitachi C8FSE Slide Compound Mitre Saw comes with a 1050w motor which gives enough power for the toughest cutting jobs. It is a compound mitre saw with 57 degrees mitre angle to the right for extra flexibility with 45 degrees to the left. To the left side it offers a bevel angle range of 47 degrees and 5 degrees bevel to the right, with flexible stops for compound cutting tasks. The incredible speeds of this tool at 5,500rpm make for fast and clean cutting up to depths of 312mm.
At only 14kg, the Hitachi C8FSEQ is a leading lightweight tool in its class, making it easy to maneuver and transport. There are 11 positive stops on the mitre index for quick setting and easy to read measurements. A linear ball bearing slide system provides accuracy and superior control while an electric brake stops the spinning of the blade in a matter of seconds to prevent unintended cuts..
To reduce airborne particles, the Hitachi C8FSE comes with a dust collector attachment. In addition it features a debris deflection guard which safely diverts the debris away from you and the work area. A carbon brush access allows you to replace brush when necessary to significantly extend the life of the machine. There is also a depth adjustment guide which makes fast adjustments for tasks that require a half lap and dado joints.
The box basically contains the mitre saw, 2 x 24 tooth TCT saw blades, 1 dust bag, 1 vice assembly and 1 wrench. Hitachi offers a 1-year warranty on this tool from the date of purchase.
- Its powerful motor delivers rugged power for the toughest applications.
- It provides ultra-flexibility in terms of cutting angles in both right and left directions.
- The featured 11 positive stops allow quick setting and easy reading of measurements.
- It offers maximum control and accuracy due to the linear ball bearing slide system.
- It includes an electric brake for preventing unintended cuts.
- It is safe to work with because it includes a dust collection bag and debris deflection guard.
- It is lightweight at only 14kg, so movement in the job area is easy.
- 3 Year warranty.
- Does not fit into standard mitre saw stands.
Would we recommend - The Hitachi C8FSE Slide Compound Mitre Saw 216mm functions very well and its one of those mitre saws you would pick for their performance.
The debris deflection guard is a great addition to the dust collector and both will ensure you work in a safe, dust-free environment. Most people will appreciate the incredible light weight of this tool and it is perhaps its most lovable feature.
We find the instructions a bit lacking plus you will have to buy a stand for this machine. Aside from the flaws, the Hitachi C8FSE Slide Compound Mitre Saw 216mm is an excellent pick overall. It is fairly priced going for slightly above £200 but Hitachi are known for quality and this model ticks all the boxes.
Einhell TC-MS 2112 Compound Mitre Saw Review
Featuring a carbide blade in professional quality, the Einhell UK TC-MS 2112 1400 W Compound Mitre Saw comes prepared to tackle minor applications such making mitre cuts and crosscuts in a variety of materials. The blade cuts to a maximum depth of 200mm with an impressive speed of 5,000rpm. Its cutting menu comprises of wood, plastics and laminated panels.
It comes with a high-quality work table made of die-cast aluminium for extended life. The table features an accurate adjustment facility which you can latch single-handedly in different positions. It additionally features a table insert with a practical scale for reading the width of the workpiece from your working position.
There are workpiece supports on the sides of the machine including a clamping device for exact operation. In addition, a cutting depth control feature allows you to perform even more challenging jobs with ease. This machine comes with a spindle lock which facilitates blade changing while also includes a sawdust bag to ensure the workplace is clean at all times. Another included accessory is the transport brace for easy and secure transportation.
Weighing only 6.4kg, the Einhell UK TC-MS 2112 1600 W Compound Mitre Saw is probably the lightest mitre saw available and this means shifting it within the workplace is a breeze. It is also compact with dimensions of 32 x 48 x 29cm, so it will take up little space in your garage or store. For peace of mind, this tool is backed by a 2-year manufacturer warranty.
- It is very lightweight at 6.4kg.
- Easy to transport in its brace and due to its compact and lightweight design.
- It is a versatile mitre saw – saws wood, plastics and laminated panels.
- Easy to change the blade thanks to its spindle lock.
- It comes with workpiece supports on both sides and a clamping mechanism.
- Includes sawdust bag for dust-free operation.
- Includes a table insert with scale which enhances precision cutting.
- Not effective for daily pressure and delivering high accuracy cuts.
- The dust extraction area is poorly designed as sawdust flies everywhere.
Would we recommend - This is the cheapest machine in our list and as you would expect, it comes with basic features that will make light work of small projects. You will love its little weight which will allow you to move it anywhere in your work area. Even if you will want to transport it, the tool comes with a transport brace and it is also pretty compact. Workpiece supports are available together with a clamping mechanism for secure operation.
Again, Einhell UK TC-MS 2112 1600 W Compound Mitre Saw is ideal for minor jobs. For less than £80, you get a good quality tool for cutting on wood, laminated panels and plastics. If you need a mitre saw for heavy applications on other tough materials, then consider spending the extra and choosing our 'best pick' or VonHaus model.
Bosch PCM 8 Mitre Saw Review
The Bosch PCM 8 Mitre Saw is a corded electric model that comes with great features for day to day use. First, it is a lightweight tool weighing only 11kg as opposed to other tools in its range that weigh up to 20kg. This not only makes it easy to move around the workplace but also easy to transport. With dimensions of 53.6 x 37.8 x 32.3cm, it is quite compact and takes little space in your storage.
Another standout feature with this model is it ergonomic design. This ensures frustration-free operation and also thanks to its soft grip handle that is comfortable in hand even for long periods. It has a solid aluminium base table which provides a broad workspace for large wood pieces. An adjustable clamping system adds extra support and stability when cutting larger workpieces.
It also features an adjustable laser beam for illuminating the work area especially when high precision is needed. A depth stop additionally acts as the perfect sawing aid to ensure that straight and accurate cuts can be achieved. It cuts to a maximum depth of 3 inches and a max width of about 6 inches. There is a removable dust bag for collecting debris while sawing is on.
It comes with a free 2-year guarantee which can extended to 3 years by registering your product with MyBosch online within 28 days of purchase.
- Ideal for sawing large pieces of wood.
- Its adjustable clamping mechanism and a sturdy aluminium base provides unmatched support and stability.
- Easy to transport due to its compact design with ergonomic soft grip.
- It is lightweight and easy to move around the workplace.
- It makes precision cuts thanks to the laser beam and depth stop.
- The cut lengths of this tool are quite short.
Would we recommend - This is a cracking piece of kit for DIY projects. It is quite basic with only the most useful features you will find in every other model. The laser beam and depth stop come in for precision, clamping mechanism for stability and ergonomic grip handle for easy and comfortable use.
The overall construction is great for storage and transportation. There are no high-end features in this model but it works great. Its price is also a fair but not one of the cheapest models.
The major downside with this machine is the short cutting lengths. We recommend you check your requirements first before you buy one of these. If you have them right, the Bosch PCM 8 Mitre Saw will give you perfect cuts every other time, for a very long time.
Makita LS1018L 240 V 10-inch Slide Compound Mitre Saw with Laser Review
The Makita LS1018L 240 V 10-inch Slide Compound Mitre Saw with Laser comes in 110V and 240V for maximum versatility in terms of power. High accuracy cuts are achieved using the Laser Marker in this machine with the capability of cutting up to 12 inches at 90 degrees and 8 1/2 inches at 45 degrees.
Mitre cuts can be done from 0 – 47 degrees left and 0 – 60 degrees right with positive stops at 0, 15, 22.5, 31.6, and 45 degrees left or right. There is also a rear handle bevel lock that is easily accessible and can adjust from 0 – 45 degrees left or right with positive stops at 0 degrees and 45 degrees on either side.
It is equipped with a powerful motor which delivers 4,300rpm and requires little maintenance. The machine can be turned on and off with an independent switch and it allows for easy cut alignment. In addition there is a soft start feature which ensures a slow buildup of blade speed for a finer refined operation. A linear ball bearing system is engineered to give accurate cuts while a large aluminium base supports the workpiece for extra efficient cutting.
This machine features an electric brake to prevent the blade from making unintended cuts. There is a see-through blade guard for improved visibility of blade as well as the line of cut. It also includes extension wings that help in supporting large workpieces.
A net weight of 20kg seems on the heavy side but the compact design of the tool makes it a bit easy to move within the workplace. The sawdust bag is a great addition to general working convenience and it collects a considerable amount of dust before emptying. The product comes with a 1-year warranty plus an extended 3-year warranty by registration via the Makita Warranty page.
- Its ergonomic rubberized handle make it very comfortable even over long periods.
- Delivers precise cuts with the help of a laser marker.
- Its broad base offers great workpiece support for efficient cutting.
- It comes with an electric brake for added safety.
- It starts smoothly thanks to a soft start feature.
- Easy to cut long workpieces due to the supportive extension wings.
- It is quite heavy to be carried far on a regular basis.
- It needs plenty of storage space due to its large size.
Would we recommend - This is an excellent mitre saw for use at home, on site or in workshop. We love it by the way it delivers precision cuts and there are quite useful features that make it possible such as the laser marker. The soft start is also a plus feature of which not many models have integrated it. It is also fast with speeds of 4,300rpm while it ergonomic shape is something that increases its mobility.
We find it a bit heavy especially if you have to transport it somewhere else. However, movements within your job area are possible but will require an extra hand. The size of it also makes it space-hungry so it will be better suited for the garage.
Overall, the Makita LS1018L 240 V 10-inch Slide Compound Mitre Saw with Laser is great for all sorts of cutting jobs in home DIY and workshop applications. It is another expensive model but it is worth the investment.
Metabo KGS216M Crosscut and Mitre Saw Review
**BEST VALUE PICK**
This is the latest model of the popular KGS216M mitre saw from Metabo with improved standards when it comes to precision, mobility and performance. The Metabo KGS216M Crosscut and Mitre Saw comes with a die-cast aluminium workbench and together with its sliding function, it cuts through large workpieces with ease. On top of that, the machine has an adjustable and extendable table width on both sides with a practical support area as well as an integrated crosscut fence. This extension is removable so as to allow long panels and slabs underneath.
Talking of the cut, the maximum cutting width is 305mm at 90 degrees and 205mm at 45 degrees, while the cutting depth is 65mm at 90 degrees and 36mm at 45 degrees. The cutting capacity at 90 degrees is 305 x 205mm and 205 x 36mm at 45 degrees. The saw blade diameter is 216mm and the bore is 30mm. The cutting speed is 5,000rpm (No-Load Speed). With such incredible figures, the Metabo KGS216M Crosscut and Mitre Saw cuts efficiently through wood, plastics and coated panels.
Its handle features a non-slip rubber surface including the upper carry handle and lateral handles to ensure excellent grip. It additionally has a compact and lightweight design which according to Metabo, it makes it suitable for one-handed transport. A saw head lock feature ensures the machine cannot turn on accidentally when being transported. There is also a cable winder for keeping the cable in place when the machine is not in use.
For working in poorly lit rooms, the mitre saw comes with an integrated job light. A bright LED will illuminate the cutting lines to ensure that precision is still achieved even in adverse conditions. A laser is a plus feature on this machine for exact display of the cut and the scales are visible from your working position. Furthermore, they can be operated intuitively. Moreover, it comes with a turntable which allows accurate angle adjustments plus it has an integrated cutting depth control.
Blade changing is easy with the included spindle lock; there is no need to dismantle the pendulum protective cover. There is a material clamp for secure fixing of the workpiece from the top or front and ensure no movement. Also supplied with this tool is a dust extraction adaptor and chip collection bags to ensure clean air at the job site.
Metabo offers a 1-year warranty on this machine from the date of purchase. You still have an option of enjoying an extended 3-year warranty upon registering your model with the company.?
- It is relatively lightweight and compact.
- It has a good cutting capacity in terms of depth and width.
- The supplied clamp can be used in various positions.
- It is easy to use and well designed with the sliding supports and adjustable stops.
- Easy saw blade change with the help of the spindle lock.
- Effective dust management with the included dust extraction adaptor and chip collection bags.
- The featured LED work light and laser encourage high precision cutting.
- The laser guide gets clogged with sawdust quickly so it’s ineffective sometimes.
- It does not cut other acute angles other than 45 degrees.
- The angle control device is dreadful and might mislead cuts.
Would we recommend - The Metabo KGS216M Crosscut and Mitre Saw is an affordable good quality machine for DIY applications. It feels sturdy, well built and gives the impression that thought has gone in to its design and manufacturing. It would be great to cut a range of different wood types and plastics. Its cutting depths and widths are good as well as the cutting capacities. You will love its compact and light design plus the kind of support it offers. Its job light will ensure there are no limits as to where you can work while dust control is also possible.
On the downside, you will find the laser less effective due to sawdust clogging and some angle cuts will be hard to achieve too. Even so, these should not be show stoppers for you and the tasks you need to handle.
Overall, the Metabo KGS216M Crosscut and Mitre Saw is a good mitre saw with many great features but with some limitations. Some of it issues can actually be resolved as you learn to use the tool. In any case, you get what you pay for.
Finals thoughts and conclusion
A mitre saw is one of those tools you should have at home as you can never be sure when its job comes up. There is a wide range of these tools on the market and they differ greatly yet the goal remains the same.
Always consider your job requirements and the quality of the machine before the price. Each mitre saw offers particular benefits for different applications so it is important to think about how exactly you intend to use the tool before you buy.
Enough said. Here is a summary from our products.
Our Best Pick
The Makita MLS100 255 mm Electric Saw is our Best Mitre Saw Pick. The accuracy and precision of this tool is impressive, whether you want make cross, mitre, bevel or compound cuts using its carbide tipped 255mm blade.
It is easy to set up and its powerful motor delivers high-speed action for increased efficiency. Blade changing is easy due to its included shaft lock. We also like the electric brake, its double insulated construction, dust bag and moderate weight.
Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or a professional handyman, this machine delivers plus it comes at a great price and comes with an impressive 3 years warranty when you register online.
Best Mitre Saw For Professionals
Some machines can withstand abuse and heavy use while others may not. One such heavy duty beast in our list is the DeWalt DW777 240V 216mm Crosscut Mitre Saw.
Its 216mm blade might be a bit smaller than our best pick or its counterpart, the DeWalt 230V 305mm Compound Slide Mitre Saw with XPS (which is amazing but more than twice the price), but it can handle all sorts of materials thrown at all day long.
Furthermore, its integrated angle stops gives you unmatched flexibility to cut at different angles. Its motor delivers 1800w of power while there is a sliding fence for improved work piece support and management.
Going for slightly less than £300, most people may say it is expensive but that’s what you pay for a durable, job-hungry tool. Perfect for anyone looking for a serous but affordable model in professional terms.
Best Value For Money Mitre Saw
Don’t think otherwise, all the tools in our list are distinctively awesome. Yet, for what you pay and get in return, we feel the Metabo KGS216M Crosscut and Mitre Saw offers the best value for your investment.
If you take a closer look, it has almost all great features found in the cheapest and most expensive product in our lineup. These include; a sliding function, integrated working light, turntable and table length extensions, laser guide, die-cast aluminium workbench, non-slip rubber handles, transport lock and cable winder, workpiece clamp, spindle lock, and dust extraction adaptor and chip collection bags. Surprisingly, you get all these useful features at a very affordable price.