Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission when you buy through links on our site.
Top 5 Best Ash Vacuum – Detailed Reviews & Comparisons
Last Updated on
We Compare The Best Hot Ash Vacuums comparing performance, suction, build quality and affordability
Anyone who has a fireplace or uses a wood burner in their home has to deal with one small problem – ash. It has to be cleaned out regularly, otherwise, the ash can quickly become a health hazard if left unattended. Cleaning it by hand is a lot of work, leave alone getting dirty. A brush and dustpan would do, but this again creates even more mess as some of that ash will end onto the carpet or inhaled by you. Even a standard vacuum cleaner is not up to the task; it will soon get clogged by harmful particles and destroyed. In addition, it can’t collect hot ash when needed.
So what do you need then? A dedicated ash vacuum cleaner. This machine is designed to clean the ash effectively and safely, preventing it from spreading into the air. Moreover, an ash vacuum can be used outside to clean your barbecue grill or fire pit.
The problem as always is choosing the best ash vacuum from the range of products on the market. But after scouring the internet and going through countless reviews on Amazon UK, we bring you the top-rated ash vacuums that you can pick from. To further help you make an informed decision, we’ve also covered the factors to consider when buying an ash vacuum cleaner.
Let’s start with the two models that we highly recommend.
Then there’s a debris filter that prevents intake of large debris that could potentially block the system, as well as the HEPA and cloth filters that capture tiny allergenic particles. Add to the fact that these filters are a breeze to clean and you have a truly convenient ash vacuum cleaner. An ergonomic carry handle on top of the machine also makes it easy to transport the whole thing to the bin. Given that this model is backed by a 2-year warranty, there’s no doubt it’s one of the best out there.
Nothing will be left to go astray as the integrated HEPA and Dacron filters captures every tiny particles. It even has an indicator that lets you know when to empty the canister and clean the filters. Expect a decent reach to all corners thanks to its 1.5m hose and 4.5m cable, while on-board storage allows convenient storage of those accessories. A bit more expensive than our best pick at the time of our review, but this Bacoeng ash vacuum is worth every penny.
Ash Vacuum Buyers Guide
Like any product in the market, you will meet with different variations from different brands. When it comes to ash vacuums the differences are not so many but they make a huge difference. These differences may also be influenced by your preferences.
Be sure to look at the function that you want the ash vacuum to undertake and the possible features that go with it. Read various reviews to make certain that the prospective ash vacuum you want is fit. Below are some of the most notable and important characteristics:
- Consider the amount of ash to be collected – If you look at the ash that collects in your fireplace or woodstove. You might be able to determine the capacity of the ash vacuum tank that you need. If you collect a lot of ash, it is safer to go with larger models. Larger capacities definitely cost more than the smaller capacities. If you are on a tight budget you can settle for a smaller tank. The issue is that you will have to stop and empty often in order to clear a large pile of ash. In reality, though most vacuums have adequate storage space.
- Hot ash or cold ash? – There are ash vacuums that can handle hot ash. These types of ash vacuums usually have metal tanks and heat resistant hoses. The heat resistant material allows you to clear out the ash without having to wait for it to cool. If you have impromptu need of cleaning your fireplace or wood stove you can. There are ash vacuums however that can only handle cold ash. These kinds of ash vacuums leave the user with no option but to let the ash cool. If you are to have impromptu visitors, you will have to let them meet the fireplace stacked with hot ash. It is safer is you seek models that can contain both and hot ash.
- How is the ash disposed of? – All the ash that is collected has to be disposed of carefully. This is because ash is very fine a can spread in a jiffy. Most models will have sealed tasks that discourage any trapped ash from escaping. When this ash collects there are two ways to manage the ash. The two ways are either bag or bagless. With the bagless option, the vacuum collects all the material which can later be disposed of. The bag option is also available for those who prefer to engage less with the ash. Depending on your preference, you will select accordingly.
- Pay attention to the motor and filter – The motor is the tool that facilitates the suction movements. If you are working with a small motor, you are more likely to have weaker suction. Weak suction means you will spend hours trying to get through a load of ash. A strong motor will provide stronger suction which will, in turn, save you some valuable time. A silent motor is also important. You do not want to disturb the neighbours every time you use your ash vacuum. The filter is important as it prevents the ash from collecting in the wrong area. If the ash has the ability to get through various nooks and crannies. You will find that your motor will start having problems. For models that can take hot ash, the filters help remove the coals that may burn through the final filter. There filters that have to be replaced and those that can be washed and re-used.
- Ease of use – An easy to use tool is always an added advantage. It makes the consumer feel like they can handle the product. When it comes to ash vacuums, the tanks have to be easy to clean. This is because if ash remains in their overtime it will clog. A clogged will prove inefficient in the long run. Some models come with wheels for easy mobility when it is full while others have indicators. The indicators tell the user when it is time to empty the vacuum cleaner. The hose has to be made from a strong but supple material. This is that you can retract the ash vacuum at any given time. If it is a heat resistant hose it has to be insulated to protect your hands. The mouth of the hose can be round or flattened to provide more access in tight corners. There are manufacturers that offer accessories to help maintain the ash vacuum. Some brands come with their own cleaning tool so that you can maintain your ash vacuum at home. If you need a brand that offers accessories be sure that they are of quality.
- What is the cost of the ash vacuum? – This will all depend on the amount of money that you are willing to spend. There are high-end brands that offer capacity and quality. The low-end quality over you the basic functions but skimp on the quality. Look at the ash that needs to be cleared and how often. Then you can select any of the best ones in that price range, we found you can pick up a good reliable model with plenty of suction for a little over £30 with some models being around £50. We found price didn’t seem to make much difference.
Are you using a stove fan?
TOP 6 ASH VACUUM REVIEWS
The VonHaus 15L Ash Vacuum Cleaner is another cold ash collector which has proved very popular with Amazon customers so let’s learn why. This modest-sized ash Vacuum has the following dimensions, 31 x 30 x 31 cm meaning its east to store and being only 5.5kg it’s lightweight. Like most models, it has a powerful 800W motor which provides adequate suction to manage smaller amounts of ash.
The tank capacity is not as large as some of the models featured but it will do the job. This capacity will save you a constant headache that comes with an ever full tank. The tank capacity is appropriate for those dealing with small amounts of ash on a daily basis and those in particular who have smaller fires.
Impressively VonHaus offer a 2-year warranty that you can take advantage of should it become faulty in any way due to manufacturing faults. If the issue is from the manufacturer’s side, they will have no option but to offer you possible solutions. The handle on this ash vacuum has been designed to facilitate easy transportation and to be kind to your soft hands.
The hose nozzles are varied so that you can work with tight corners or large amounts of ash. The good thing about varied nozzles is that they offer you a choice. The filters provided are dual filters. The two filters provided are employed to prevent the ash from getting released back into your area. They keep your atmosphere unpolluted.
The VonHaus 15L Ash Vacuum Cleaner is a very lightweight model at only 5.5kg which is great for moving around. The handle is well designed to provide you with some comfort and the 800w motor is adequate enough to provide smooth suction.
With this model, you have to be careful so that it does not block. The filters have to be cleaned often to reduce the blockage but this is true for most models. Apart from that, his machine is fully functional and does a great job.
Those who are looking for an easy machine to take care of the small amount of ash can settle for this one. The price is affordable so you won’t have to leave an arm/leg at the purchasing point and it comes with a 2-year warranty which is brilliant when you consider most models come with only 1 years warranty. It looks the part too. After much consideration, we decided that this model should be our ‘Best Pick’.
The Bacoeng 20 litre 1200w Ash Vacuum Cleaner is such a powerful model that makes easy work of sucking ash from everything fireplaces. It offers plenty of storage in the form of a 20L tank, reducing the trips you have to make to the bin. And you don’t even need to worry about it being too heavy when full because the machine is equipped with wheels that make it easy to push to the bin. This thing is about 45cm high and even so, it’s very easy to empty.
It comes with a 1.5m hose plus a 4.5m cable, and this combination allows you to reach all corners with ease and gives you plenty of reach. A great addition to this product is the dual filtration system which includes a HEPA filter and a Dacron filter bag. These capture dust and prevents stray particles from lingering in the air. The filtration system also plays an important role in preventing the motor from damage that may result from ash and dust clogging inside the components.
Another thing to appreciate is the cleaning reference indicator, a small device that indicates the ash coverage on the Dacron filter top. The indicator turns red once the coverage is 100%. Although you can still continue to use the ash vacuum even at full coverage, the performance will be below par, so it only makes sense that you empty the tank and clean the filter.
The overall construction is great as you get a nice combination of high-quality materials and superb workmanship. The motor itself benefits from overheating protection for user safety. Keep in mind that this ash vacuum is only designed for cold ash pickup, therefore, ensure that the embers and debris are totally cool before using the machine. Last but not least, this ash vacuum offers on-board storage for its accessories.
- Powerful 1200W motor delivers plenty of suction power.
- Large 20L capacity ensures reduced trips to the bin.
- Comes with 1.5m hose and 4.5m cable for an extended reach.
- Overheat motor protection for operator safety.
- With a dual filtration system that prevents particles from straying into the air.
- On-board storage for its accessories.
This ash vacuum is certainly one of the best thanks to a host of top-of-the-range features. Its 1200W motor is unmatched in terms of suction power and that’s what you need to clean heavy loads of ash quickly. The canister capacity is well within many people’s needs and so is the reach offered by the hose and cable. On-board storage is a bonus and you can be guaranteed of safe operation thanks to the motor’s overheat protection mechanism.
We struggled to find any deal breakers, probably because this model is relatively new, and that’s one of the reasons why we recommend this Bacoeng 20 litre 1200w Ash Vacuum Cleaner to any standard household.
The Clifford James 15L Ash Vacuum Cleaner is a bargain. With an affordable price, you get yourself a very dependable ash vacuum. This machine has an 800W motor which is powerful enough to provide sufficient suction. This cannot be considered as a small motor since the suction is rather intense.
This ash vacuum has a large capacity. You will not have to empty the ash vacuum often as it has a larger 15L tank. This is a larger capacity than some of the models featured. The tank is heat resistant and can hold ash with temperatures up to 40°C. The ability to house warm and cold ashes is an advantage as you don’t need to wait until it totally cooled down.
For a machine that has such a powerful motor, it works unbelievably silent. Let’s say you have a baby or a finicky neighbour, a loud machine is the last thing that you need. This ash collector is home friendly as it is designed as a low noise model which is noticeable when compared to other models. The neighbours will thank you for it. The handle is well made to ensure that you can move the vacuum cleaner easily when it is full.
We love ash vacuums with effective filters. This is because the filters capture the ash and prevent it from being released back into the air. The filter also protects the motor from unnecessary blockages. The dimensions of this ash vacuum are 28 x 28 x 43 cm making it easy to store and as It’s is not that heavy it can be easily carried.
- It comes at an affordable price.
- Nice ash capacity tank.
- Very powerful.
- Runs quietly.
- 1-year warranty
The Maxi Vac Ash Vacuum Cleaner is probably one of the best models overall and was previously our ‘best pick’.
The motor is strong enough to provide adequate suction and is surprisingly more powerful than you might think. For those who are looking for a model that can hold both hot and cold ash, you can’t really go wrong with this model.
Overall this ash vac is probably one of the best choices for most people looking to vacuum up ash and is also one of the cheapest models on our list. We only wish that the hose was a bit longer. Other than that, it is an ash vacuum that you won’t regret.
Being that this model is very well built, has great suction and comes at a more than fantastic price we felt it was worthy of the Top spot on our list of the best vacuums.
The First4Spares 800W Debris Collector and Vacuum Cleaner is another cold ash holder. It has a capacity of 15 litres. This capacity is not big but it will be sufficient for smaller jobs such as collecting ash which falls under the grate and cleaning out small fires etc. The cold ash collector will save you time that you could have used running around emptying the vacuum every ten minutes. The motor emits low noise levels so it will not disrupt the neighbours or give you a headache.
A motor is the heart of the ash vacuum. If the motor is not working well, the suction will be off and inconsistent. The motor that this model is fitted with is of 800W output meaning that the suction will be better than average but certainly not the best. No good ash vacuum comes without a filter. That is why this model just like the rest is fitted with filters.
This model is versatile. You can use a bag to collect the ashes or just do without, the choice will be yours. Most people prefer using it bagless as it saves up costs in the long run and the bags have been reported to burst. The easy to clean and easy to maintain ash vacuum will make a good addition to handling small jobs. The handle is fitted for easy transportation from one location to another.
The nozzle can be switched to fit the requirements. You can use the round-nosed nozzle or the flattened one. The hose is made from durable material that has no holes. Thus the ash will not be released back to the air.
- Comes at an affordable price.
- Robust stainless steel construction.
- Can use a bag for ash collection or chose not to.
The First4Spares Ash Vacuum Cleaner is a good product overall. It is designed to handle small loads of ash. Heavier functions would just put pressure on the motor and capacity. The manufacturer had a good concept in mind while making this ash vacuum. The problem comes in when the vacuum is blocked by debris and the machine unleashes a cloud of ash into the room.
This can be a real setback especially for those working indoors. This means that this machine has to be regularly cleaned out to avoid said blockages.
If you need a better model we would recommend our ‘Best Pick’, the VonHaus Model if you’re looking for something lighter.
Overall not a bad model to invest in and certainly very popular on Amazon with over 380 reviews, not sure why it so popular being that we found a better option that cost less. However certainly not a bad model to try.
The De Vielle 25 Litre Ash Vacuum Cleaner comes with a much larger capacity than our Best Pick. This large tank can hold 25 litres of ash and will definitely save you some time. The constant emptying that one experiences with smaller tanks are avoided in this model making it especially useful for larger fires and stoves. If you have a small amount of ash, you can stay a couple of days without emptying the two chambers provided.
This ash vacuum is equipped with a hose that is lined with aluminium. That way any debris that goes through the hose is unable to cause irreparable damage. It will be good to look at the quality of the hose to ensure that it can withstand constant use. The length of the hose is adequate to provide you with enough reach.
The model is also designed to be easily cleaned and dispose of the ash effectively. You just have to remove the filters and dispose of the ash. The 3-layer filter system will ensure that the collected ash does not go into the wrong areas. The filters need to be cleaned regularly to avoid unnecessary blockages. The very powerful 1200W motor will ensure that the machine runs smoothly as expected and has plenty of suction.
The model comes with a handle that is there to facilitate easy carriage. Without the handle, moving 25 litres of ash would prove tasking. This durable machine is one that can be depended upon to take up all of your ash.
- It comes with two tanks for normal and fine ash.
- Can be purchased at an affordable price.
- Large tank capacity prevents time wastage due to emptying requirements.
The De Vielle 25 Litre Ash Vacuum Cleaner is good for those with large amounts of ash so is perfect for cleaning larger stoves and fireplaces.
The impressive 1200w motor is powerful enough to provide enough suction to fill the tank with ease and is actually very impressive in terms of suction.
We like that the handle has been ergonomically designed. That way, a consumer can move the tank without harming their hands. The price is affordable when you take into consideration the larger tank size and powerful motor not to mention the quality. If not for a few flaws, this product will be nothing short of perfect and would have been our ‘Best Pick’, unfortunately, it is not suitable for hot ash, its only real downside.
If you need something that can handle hot ash, try the Clifford James 15L Ash Collector Vacuum Cleaner. If you do not mind waiting for the ash to cool, you can consider it among your top picks and probably the best choice for you.
If worth noting that this model has over 170 mainly positive reviews on Amazon.co.uk which is very impressive in itself and further confirms how good this product is.
How to clean ash vacuum filters?
Almost all ash vacuums have a dual filtration system. There’s an outer filter which is usually treated with chemical and should never be washed using soap or detergent as a result. For this one, you can use an air compressor to clean it thoroughly. Any residual ashes can be pulled off using another external vacuum cleaner.
The inner filter, on the other hand, can be taken out and cleaned with detergent or any such substance. Some models such as VonHaus 15L Ash Vacuum Cleaner use a cloth as the secondary filter. This cloth can be washed using soapy water and rinsed well, and then left to dry completely before reinstalling into place.
Ideally, not every model uses the same type of filters. So check whether the manufacturer says the filters are washable or cleanable lest you do something stupid.
Can you use ash vacuums with hot ash?
Most machines are designed to pick up cold ashes. That means you have to allow the fire cool for as many hours before you vacuum it. There are still a few models that can handle hot ash, but that usually means up to 50°C. Still, occasional warm ash may not destroy the ash vacuum but it’s not wise to vacuum hot embers.
Where can I use an ash vacuum?
Almost anywhere ashes are, from fire pits to wood stoves, pellet stoves, BBQ and coal fires. However, it shouldn’t be used to clean the chimney as you’ll run the risk of causing a fire.
Our Final Conclusion
With ash vacuums, things do not have to be complicated. You just need to know how much ash is to be collected and whether you need to vacuum hot ash. The rest will figure itself as you look at the provided specifications.
We have seen that not many models can house hot ash. If you are on the lookout for a model that can contain hot ash be sure to check the maximum temperature recommended. Otherwise, you might end up with a useless machine that you rarely use.
There is a lot of information out there. You can use this information to discover more about your preferred ash vacuum. Don’t forget to read other ash vacuum reviews and the best place to do this is by reading Amazon user reviews to see what other users have to say about new models in the market.
With that said and done, we hope we have given enough information so you can make an informed decision about which model is right for you.
Below is a quick reminder of our best pick
Then there’s a debris filter that prevents intake of large debris that could potentially block the system, as well as the HEPA and cloth filters that capture tiny allergenic particles. Add to the fact that these filters are a breeze to clean and you have a truly convenient ash vacuum cleaner. An ergonomic carry handle on top of the machine also makes it easy to transport the whole thing to the bin. Given that this model is available at less than £50 and is backed by a 2-year warranty, there’s no doubt it’s one of the best out there.
Last update on 2020-06-05 at 01:22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API