Last updated on September 24th, 2021
Our site is reader supported, this means we may earn a small commission from Amazon and other affiliates when you buy through links on our site.
The Bosch PSB 1800 Drill is a fantastic drill for more domestic or light trade use. We love that it comes with 2 batteries, features a keyless chuck for easy changing of screwdriver and drill bits plus the performance is outstanding. It will easily drill through brick and metal just as easy as wood. Best of all, it’s one of the best-priced cordless drills currently available.
We have wanted to review this combi drill by Bosch for a long time. So when we finally had the chance to we dug straight in to see what it’s all about and whether it really makes an impact. The Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 cordless combi drill comes with two 18v Lithium-Ion Batteries and really does stand out due to its lightweight design, coupled with a range of amazing features and excellent price point. Obviously, there are many reasons why you may need a cordless drill.
What really matters is the general performance of the drill and the first thing we noticed is that this model is top quality and has more than enough power for any home DIY task. This Bosch PSB 1800 Li 2 review delves into the capabilities of this model and sheds some light as to whether this cordless drill is worth the trouble.
What we will say, is that for anyone looking for a drill to undertake home tasks, for example, drilling into brick, driving in screws, building IKEA furniture, it’s an absolute bargain and will do just about anything you can possibly ask of it.
Quick summary – Does it make an impact?
The Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 Cordless Combi Drill model does well for domestic work and is great to have around the home. It will do any job no questions asked, whether it’s drilling into the brick to put up hanging baskets, sheet metal for a DIY project or drilling into wood. This model will do it, making it a great drill for the homeowner or DIY enthusiast.
It’s not bad for using as an electric screwdriver, maybe a little bulky but more than adequate, however, it is probably not the best choice for continuous heavy drilling. Nonetheless, it is a marvellous drill to have around. To make matters better, it’s a fairly priced model and the set we looked at included 2 batteries and comes with a 1-hour charger and nice carry box, making it a fantastic deal.
- Perfect for the home user or DIY enthusiast looking for a good multi-purpose drill
- Features the Bosch syneon chip that efficiently manages energy produced by the batteries to the rest of the machine so it applies maximum power when needed.
- The set we reviewed comes with two lithium-ion batteries so you can be charger one battery whilst using the other.
- Features 3 functions that include screwdriving, impact drilling and regular drilling. The varied functions are convenient and save money since three tools are combined into one.
- Designed to have a 2-speed gearbox so that you can control how fast the drill goes depending on the material you are working on.
- Offers 20 torque setting to maximise the cordless drill’s performance.
- To illuminate working surfaces in dark conditions an LED light is installed. The bright light will help when drilling in dimly lit areas such as under cupboards.
- Fitted with a keyless chuck to make bit exchange faster and smoother. You get to save time and the frustration caused by loosing chuck keys.
- Comes in a complete package including the charger, double screwdriver bit and a plastic case to store the drill when it is not in use.
- Charges in an hour or less and offers a longer running time. This short charging time is beneficial, especially when working on a big project.
- Fairly lightweight and compact to fit into small spaces while working. Also well balanced.
- Features a 3-level indicator to show when the battery needs re-charging.
Specifications, features and what is included
- Battery capacity and charger: 18v 1.5Ah lithium battery and 1 hour fast charger
- Max speed: 1350rpm, min: 400rpm with an impact rate maximum: 20,250bpm
- Max torque of 38Nm with torque settings of 20+2
- Screw diameter max: 8mm.
- Drilling diameter max wood – 30mm – 10mm for steel and masonry.
What the Bosch 1800 LI-2 Combi Drill is all about
The Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 Cordless Combi Drill can be summed up as the perfect DIY tool. It does not have the power to do heavy work because it only weighs 1.3kgs and doesn’t seem to be built for professional use. However, for the price, this is no surprise. That being said, it is more than capable of doing any home or general DIY task and is very well built. The combi drill features three functions that will assist you to get through a number of materials. Whether it is stone, wood or steel, you can trust that the drill will have some impact and get the job done.
Being that it is a cordless drill, it needs reliable batteries. This model set we have reviewed (which we have linked to Amazon below) comes with two batteries packs to be swapped if needed. These lithium-ion batteries take approximately an hour to charge, which is much better than the older NiCad batteries and last long enough to get a few things done. The beauty of having two battery packs is that you can work continuously without interruption. One will be charging as the other is in use, we think it is unlikely you will run out of power before the second battery has finished charging.
True to Bosch products, a syneon chip is never far from the scene. This model features a syneon chip for efficient energy management between the electrical compartments. Another important feature is Electronic Cell Protection. It is responsible for preventing battery overload, deep discharge and overheating as well as provides the correct amount of power when needed. Basically, this really does help improve performance.
10mm Keyless chuck
The Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 also features a forward and reverse function as you would expect, as well as featuring a keyless chuck which means no more using a standard key-chuck which takes time and can easily be lost.
2-speed gearbox and 20 torque settings
In order to control the speed that you are working at, the 2-speed gearbox can be adjusted. The combi drill has a maximum speed of 1350rpm and a minimum speed of 400rpm to ensure you have the option of using it slowly, which is extremely handy when drilling metal. With 20 torque settings, you can manoeuvre through delicate to slightly rigorous projects and have the perfect torque setting.
The LED light makes it easier to see in dimly lit areas, such as under cupboards
An LED light is present to make working in tight dark corners a little easier. The LED light is bright enough to illuminate the working surface and be gentle on the eyes. It is a comfortable unit to handle because of the soft grip. The auto-lock will free your hand from the tense grip and you can work comfortably. The only real issue with the LED light is that it comes less effective when holding off the trigger slightly to drill more slowly so that it does not light up as much.
Bosch products have been a customer favourite for many years and this model really is the perfect cordless drill for any home user or DIY enthusiast looking for a well built, reliable drill for just about any task.
In their quest to provide perfection but at an affordable price, they have done an excellent job with the Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 Cordless Combi Drill. It is light, charges super fast in under 60 minutes, is very comfortable in the hard and immaculately priced.
To sum it up, we think this is probably one of the best combi drills currently available at under £100. Best of all, it comes with two batteries so you can be charging one whilst using the other. For professionals, we would recommend looking at a more robust heavy duty drill, especially if you tend to put your drills under pressure with lots of heavy drilling. However, to use around the home or for DIY projects it’s perfect and comes with a good warranty.
Please note the Amazon link below includes the two batteries in the set, however, the eBay and Tooled-Up links may not include two batteries so double-check before you make your purchase.
Our website supports our amazing readers with countless hours of research and testing to help you find the best product so you don’t regret making a purchase. You support us through our independently chosen links, which earn us a small commission and cost you nothing but helps support our research.
Last update on 2024-02-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API