Our Top 8 Best Garden Carts – Read our detailed comparisons, reviews and buyer guide
BEST GARDEN CART FOR 2017
Before purchasing a garden cart for your garden, there are many things one must first consider. For instance, will a large wheelbarrow do the job as they are often cheaper, if not, what type of garden cart suits your needs the most?, do you need a tipping action, do you need to carry heavy loads, do you need the option to hitch onto a mini tractor, the list goes on.
In this article, we will give you the information you need in order for you to choose the garden cart that is right for you.
Below, you will find that we discuss the different types of garden carts available, their features, and a list containing the 7 best garden carts reviews.
It's important to know that our list was narrowed down from over 20 different models, to just 7 of the very models taking into account affordability.
Below is our 'Best Pick' which we consider to be the best garden cart for most gardeners. It has all the features you would expect including large load capacity, all-terrain wheels, tipping action and best of all, it offers excellent value for money, making it an affordable option for most people.
Looking for a cage style garden garden trolley with fold down sides, we have that covered to so read on to learn more.
Types of Garden Carts
When it comes to garden carts, there are three major types on the market today. However, the one you choose will solely depend on your own individual needs in your garden.
- Standard garden carts: Standard garden carts are constructed with four vertical sides that help contain any material in the cart from falling out. For the most part, these sides are removable to help you access the items you are hauling more easily and to help clean the trolley. The removable sides also allow you to move irregular shaped loads, such as large plants or large bags of soil. Garden carts are mostly used to move garden tools such as chainsaws, garden multi tools, other garden equipment, soil, compost, fertilizer, pretty much anything heavy or bulky.
- Tipper Carts - A tipper cart or truck as they are also known are very similar in likeness to standard carts or wheelbarrows, although they have the capability to dump their loads. Depending on the dump carts capacity you are able to haul garden soil, wood chips, or fertilizer. However, if you are considering performing any type of big earth-moving projects, you should look into buying a heavy duty tipper cart that can take the extra weight.
They can also move other products that standard garden carts can too. The main feature to highlight here is the tipper feature. They are often much more stable than a wheelbarrow and are easier to move large loads with as you don't have to lift the weight.
- Flatbed carts - These carts are constructed with no sides. Flatbed carts are mainly used for stacking bags of soil or to transport large or bulky objects such as large trees or tree stumps. We didn't include flatbed carts on our list as we came to the conclusion that garden carts with fold down-sides, are much better as you always have the option to use sides if needed, with flatbed carts you don't.
Features and Functions to Consider
Before you purchase a garden cart, there are many things worth considering. Different garden carts feature many different things to help you work in your garden. Below you will find a list of things to make sure and look into before investing in a garden cart.
- Before purchasing a garden cart, it is crucial to ask yourself, “What will I be moving in my yard and at what distance?” While searching for your ideal garden cart, you will notice that there is a large range in both build quality and cost. When it comes to capacity, you certainly do not want to overpay for a model that you will hardly use.
Heavy duty carts are designed to carry a high capacity. They have all terrain large tires and a sturdy frame. Because this cart is designed to carry a big load, you would not want to purchase one unless it was absolutely necessary due to its weight. However, if you do need a high capacity cart, make sure the sides are removable for easy access.
A small cart with a wide, deep bed is ideal for anyone looking for a small capacity cart.
Types of ??Tires
- Plastic tires - Carts that are small and designed to carry a small capacity generally come with solid plastic tires. You will find that some of the plastic tires come with tread. If you are only going to use your cart within your yard, meaning on grass or other soft surfaces, then plastic tires will get the job done. Even though plastic tires sound like a major drawback, they can actually be quite beneficial because they will not pop nor puncture. However, one drawback they have is that they do not provide as much stability and heavy load will damage the lawn. We recommend them for hard surfaces only or carry light loads.
- Pneumatic Tires - Heavy-duty carts mostly come with pneumatic tires that are made of rubber and filled with air. These type of tires are important if you are going haul your cart through rocky or lumpy terrain; especially if you are hauling a heavy load. Pneumatic tires also provide your cart with more stability. We recommend you always buy a cart with pneumatic tires if possible as they are much more versatile and can be used in nearly all surfaces.
- Steel is the most durable material for a garden cart because they can be used for years without damaging. However, they do tend to rust or become discolored over time. Steel can also become damaged by acidic substances, such as compost and fertiliser so always rinse well after use. Steel garden carts are also heavy.
Polyethylene garden cart beds are the second best durable material. This type of cart bed is rust and dent resistant. It is a lot like steel material except it weighs less and does better in weather.
The lowest quality material you can find for a garden cart on the market is plastic. Plastic is beneficial as it is very light, making it easy to pull. However, plastic can be easily damaged, especially by the sun over time. Sun damage can cause the cart to crack. If you keep your cart in the shade when it is not being used, you can prevent cracking from occurring. Plastic is usually used on small garden caddy type carts and used for carrying lighter loads.
With each of these materials, it is best for you to decide which cart material works best for your needs.
- Another consideration to keep in mind is the clearance between the ground surface and the base of the garden. There must be enough room to ensure the garden cart does not become damaged. Although this feature is not necessarily at the top of everyone’s list in respect to other features on this list, this feature is important to ensure that your garden cart is maintained and can last for a longer period. All the carts we recommend have good ground clearance so this will not be an issue.
GARDEN CART REVIEWS
Below, you will find seven of the best garden carts on the market today. We will discuss their features, advantages, and disadvantages in order for you to make an informed decision on what product will suit your needs the best.
VanHous 75L Garden Tipping Cart Review
**OUR BEST PICK**
Great quality, excellent value for money and all round top proformer which is why we named it our Best Pick
- Large 75L capacity with tipping action.
- Impressive 250kg load capacity and 180kg dump load capacity
- Easy release tipping mechanism for easy tipping.
- Sturdy plastic bed which is both strong and durable.
- ?Heavy-duty powder coated steel frame for protection against the British weather.
- Large 10” diameter pneumatic wheels ideal for use on a range of surfaces
- Long 78cm push/pull handlebar
- Integrated towing hitch
- 2 year manufacturer warranty
The VanHous Garden Cart makes heavy loads effortless. Its dimensions are 52cm x 110cm x 95.5cm which gives it a good area hold and weighs only 14.9kg making it easy to pull even when fully loaded.
The 75L capacity bed comes with an easy release tipping mechanism to make dumping easy. The strong plastic bed is supported by a robust heavy-duty powder coated steel frame keeps your cart from rusting in the elements, a must for any garden cart.
This cart also comes with an integrated towing hitch, large 10” diameter pneumatic wheels making it ideal for all surfaces types, lawn, paths, gravel, and it also comes with a two year manufacturer warranty.
- Great value for money.
- High quality built.
- Easy to maneuver.
- Pneumatic all terrain tires.
- Instructions could be better.
- Time consuming assembly as it does come flat packed as do most garden carts.
Would we recommend
The quality is good and adequate for most garden jobs, the tipper design is a also godsend to anyone looking for this added feature.
Overall, this lightweight garden cart is a great tool to have and has all the great features of the more expensive Draper Tipping Cart alternative but at a more affordable price.
Its important to note that most gardeners would be very impressed with this model and the standards are high as with most products VonHaus manufacture.?
For this reason we named this model our 'Best Pick' as we were super pleased with this model and think it offers excellent value for money and comes with a impressive 2 year warranty.
However, it does come with poor instructions which can make assembly time consuming, take your time and it does fit together well and fairly easily once you weighed it up.
The Draper Tipping Cart reviewed below does seem to be slightly better made by all reports, specially the plastic barrow. However this comes at an extra cost which may be a little more than some people may want to spend.
If your after quality and value, VonHaus has it covered.
Draper 75L Garden Tipper Cart Review
**BEST RECOMMENDED TIPPER TRUCK**
- Carries loads up to 200kg (approximately 440lbs)
- Effortlessly moves heavy gardening materials.
- Robust and light weight construction.
- Steel sub-frame for extra strength
- Long tubular steel handle making moving it a breeze.
- Large 75L tipping bucket
- Heavy duty pneumatic wheels ideal for all terrains.
- Durable construction.
The Draper Garden Tipper Cart is capable of easily carrying loads up to 200kg (approximately 440lbs), and is able to make simple work of moving your heavy gardening material.
This garden cart’s dimension is 96 cm x 52 cm x 22 cm and weighs 17kg making it a little heavier than our 'Best Pick'. The garden tipper cart is made from a tough, lightweight steel sub-frame, includes a cylindrical steel handle, strong 75L tipping bucket, and heavy-duty pneumatic wheels which make it easy to pull on a range of surfaces from grass to gravel.
With this cart, you are guaranteed to work in your garden, no matter the condition.
All of Draper’s gardening tools, including this cart, is designed to be strong, durable, and guaranteed to be a great value for your money.
Key features for their tools and carts include ease of use, as well as ergonomic designs.
- Good quality comtruction from a brand you can trust.
- Sturdy sub frame for extra strength.
- Suitable for all gardens, including rough terrain.
- Tipping design saves gardener from aches and pains.
- Can be used by gardeners as well as professionals.
- ?No towing hitch
- Requires assembly
Would we recommend - The Draper Garden Tipper Cart is a great tool to have if you are expecting to do a lot of yard work in your garden of in need of a garden cart for professional and trade use as it comes with the draper guarantee.
This cart is capable of hauling loads in the most difficult terrains, such as hills, bumpy lawns, etc. It is a robust cart that can handle heavy use which is what makes it perfect for trade use as well as domestic gardeners.
?This is the most expensive cart to make it onto our Top carts list which is the only reason, it did not win our 'Best Pick Award'.
Its does lack a towing hitch which our 'best pick' does have, this may be useful for anyone with a small lawnmower tractor or similar.
Power King Garden 50L Tipping Truck Review
**BEST LOW COST TIPPING TRUCK**
- 50L tipping bucket.
- Easy release tipping using quick dump lever.
- Automatic wheel base adjustment to maintain stability.
- 130kg (287lbs) carrying capacity.
- Plastic durable bed.
- Swivel handle for easy steering.
- 10” diameter pneumatic tires for use on all terrains.
The Power King Garden Tipping Truck has a 50L tipping bucket which gives the user the benefit of a quick dumping of garden materials.
It comes with a durable plastic wheelbarrow type bed, which is perfect for carrying wet or dry materials. Another feature that is beneficial is that it comes with an easy release tipping facility with an automatic wheel base adjustment to maintain stability while dumping.
The plastic bed’s dimension is 860mm x 470mm x 185mm and can hold up to 130kg (287lbs).
This cart also comes with a swivel handle that allows you to push, pull, or tow. It also features 10” diameter pneumatic tires.
- Easy to maneuver.
- Lightweight design.
- Strong and durable plastic bed.
- Great value for money.
- Small and compact.
- Time consuming assembly
- Limited weight load of no more than 130kg.
- Limited capacity of 50 litres.
Would we recommend - The Power King Garden Tipping Truck is an affordable garden cart that is of great value and perfect for around the garden. It achieves this cost saving by being slightly smaller but this does come with limitations.
The 50L plastic bed can carry up to 130kg (287lbs) of weight which may be enough for most gardeners looking for a low cost option. This however, is at least 70kg less than both the Draper and VonHaus Models and it also hold 30 litres less.
That being said this is a great value garden cart to have, but only if you don't require a larger weight load and larger capacity which the Draper and Vonhaus models both provide.
Overall, a great choice for anyone looking at moving small, lighter loads, if you want to move larger logs for example for splitting with a log splitter, then a larger cart would be a better option, if you want to move garden debris such as leaves and hedge trimming or the odd bag of compost, then the Power King is more than adequate for the job.
Draper Expert Garden Caddy Review
- 65L load capacity
- Versatile compact design.
- Easy maneuverability
- Durable construction
The Draper Expert Garden Caddy’s has a lightweight design, which provides easy maneuverability around the garden..
Its 65L capacity also makes if versatile and suitable for a variety of tasks in the garden. It also contains plastic sturdy wheels.
A simple, easy to store garden caddy which is very light weight making it great for older gardeners who may not want to hastle of pulling heavier garden carts around.
- Light weight and sturdy.
- Manufactured from strong durable plastic.
- Compact design which is easy to store.
- Limited capacity.
- A little fragile so care must be taken not to damage with garden tools.
Would we recommend - This is a small, lightweight garden cart that is perfect for small yards and gardens.
Because it is made from plastic, it cannot hold up to heavy duty use, so if you are looking for something more durable, you may want to reconsider this option.
However, if your looking for a small cart to hold small gardens tools or ?pull a small bag of compost then this will be perfect.
Outsunny Adjustable Rolling Garden Cart Review
- Durable metal frame
- Solid steel axles
- Easy steering and mobility
- Adjustable height
- 360º swivel seat
The Outsunny Adjustable Rolling Garden Cart is perfect for gardeners who suffer from aches and pains.
It is easy to move items and materials around, as well as has a seat so you can tend to your plants. This cart is made entirely from metal material and is easy maneuverability.
The front wheels can steer using the push handle. The swivel seat also includes a height adjustment to provide comfort. The product’s overall dimension is 81cm x 44.5cm x 46 – 59 cm and weighs 16kg (35lbs).
This garden cart also has a weight capacity of 150kg (330lbs). It also features a utility basket at the rear of the cart and a tray located under the seat for tools.
- Robust steel construction.
- Great value.
- Easy to get around and steer.
- Limited carrying capacity
Would we recommend - This is a perfect cart for those who undergo aches and pains while gardening and is ideal for nurseries and gardens.
It is an affordable cart that provides many comforts. However, if you are dealing with a big project, be prepared to make several trips with this cart.
Vonhaus All-Terrain Heavy Duty Garden Trolley Review
**BEST AFFORDABLE GARDEN CART**
- Designed for heavy duty use.
- Easy to clean.
- Includes water-proof removable lining.
- Fold down sides for easy access.
- Long handle design for easy pulling and steering.
- Exceptional maneuverability
- Off-road pneumatic tires makes it ideal for all surfaces.
- 2 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty for full peace of mind.
The All-Terrain Heavy Duty Garden Trolley by Vonhaus is a durable, lightweight, and versatile garden cart that features a great way to transport your materials.
It is made from a steel frame, includes large off-road pneumatic tires, and has fully rotational steering. It is perfect for transporting heavy items across any kind of surface.
This model also includes foldable side panels to help ensure easy loading and unloading. These sides can also be removed to transport oversized items which is a added bonus and does come in very useful.
It also includes a thick plastic liner with straps which can be used to cover the base and sides of the cart; making it ideal for filling the cart with loose gravel, soil, and compost.
With this cart, you will be able to save a lot of time, as well as effort when moving any type of products or materials..
The product’s dimension is 85cm x 23cm x 45cm and has a maximum weight capacity of 350kg (771lbs) which is more than enough for most garden tasks.
- Great value for money
- Foldable/Removable side panels for easy access.
- All-terrain tires.
- Plastic liner for transporting loose soil etc.
- Poor instructions
- Can be difficult to assemble so patience is needed.
Would we recommend - The Vonhaus All-Terrain Heavy Duty Garden Trolley is a durable, lightweight, and versatile cart that can greatly help you transport your materials around your yard and garden.
The steel frame makes for a durable cart. The pneumatic tires give you the option to haul materials over any type of terrain whether it be grass, gravel or solid paths.
The plastic liner also gives you the ability to move loose gravel, soil, and stones. Overall, if you have a big project in mind, this cart is a great choice for you because of its versatility, features, and value.
If you in need of a bigger cart with a higher load capacity, then we would recommend the TecTake Heavy Duty Cart we have reviewed below as it holds an extra 200kg in weight when compared to the VonHaus model.
TecTake Heavy Duty Wheelbarrow Garden Trolley Review
**BEST HEAVY DUTY GARDEN CART**
Max loading weight of a very impressive 550kg
- Quick release hinged side panels.
- Inner 100% polyester canvas.
- Padded handle to reduce strain on your hands.
- Manufactured from a very strong durable metal material.
- Pneumatic all terrain tires.
- Max loading weight of a very impressive 550kg.
The TecTake Heavy Duty Wheelbarrow Garden Trolley frame is made entirely of metal and includes a 100% polyester inner canvas that is removable, which is perfect for carrying loose gravel, soil, or stones.
It dimension is 114cm x 51.5cm x 65cm making it ideal for large loads, this combined with the maximum carrying weight of 550kg (1,212lbs) makes it perfect for very heavy loads most carts cannot carry.
Its quick release hinged side panels make it easy for you to load and unload your materials quickly.
This cart also comes with large 26cm in diameter pneumatic tires, which makes it perfect to haul over any terrain.
- Sturdy stable design.
- Side panels with quick release for easy loading and unloading.
- Frame made from metal.
- Removable polyester canvas for carrying loose material.
- Comfort grip handle
- Handle a little too short for some.
- Time consuming assembly
Would we recommend - This heavy duty garden cart is perfect for big and time consuming projects.
Because it is a heavy duty garden cart with a huge capacity weight rating, this cart becomes rather expensive specially when compared to the VonHaus model, however it is rather superior in terms of strength and maximum limits.
We looked at several larger similar carts? but this TecTake Heavy Duty Cart was the only model we would recommend, but this if 'but'.
However putting it together is some what difficult and the instructions are not the best. It will hold more weight than the other garden carts we have reviewed, however i'm not sure it will hold hold 550kg the manufacture claim. To give you an idea of what, 550kg is just over half a ton. That's a lot of weight.
Overview of Garden Carts
Our Best Pick
The Vonhaus 75L Garden Tipping Cart is perfect for transporting and unloading many gardening materials and tools.
It has a 75L tipping bucket that can hold up to 250kg (551lbs) static load and a 180kg (396lbs) dump capacity.
This garden cart contains a strong plastic bed that rests on a heavy duty powder coated steel frame. The 10” in diameter pneumatic tires also make your workload effortless as you are able to haul your material across any kind of terrain.
You will also find that this model comes with a two year manufacturer’s warranty.
Our Top Recommended Tipper Cart
The Draper Garden Tipper Cart can load up to 200kg (400lbs) and makes light work of moving heavy gardening material. This cart is robust, has a lightweight steel sub-frame, tubular steel handle, and a 75L tipping bucket, as well as pneumatic wheels.
This garden cart is perfect for any gardening project and can be used by anyone. It is a good quality cart, has a sturdy frame, is suitable for all garden purposes and terrains, and its tipping design saves gardeners from aches and pains.
However, the wheelbase is known to be a bit narrow, causing it to be a bit unstable. This garden cart also has a time-consuming assembly and is on the pricey side.
Best Budget Tipper Cart
The Power King Garden Tipping Truck has a 50L tipping bucket that allows for quick dumping of materials. It is also fitted with a swivel handle, which enables it to be pushed, pulled, or towed.
This cart has a plastic bed with a weight capacity of 130kg (286lbs) and 10” in diameter pneumatic tires. This cart is easy to maneuver, lightweight, sturdy, durable, and a great value.
However, the instruction can become unclear and you may be in for a time consuming assembly. This is the cheapest and smallest tipping cart in our review.
Best Affordable Garden Cart
The Vonhaus All-Terrain Heavy Duty Garden Trolley is suitable for heavy duty use and comes with an easy to clean water-proof lining that is removable.
This lining makes it easy for you to haul loose gravel, soil, and stones. It also has fold down sides that allows you to easily access and remove objects.
The sides are also removable so you are able to transport over-sized objects. This garden cart ensures that you save time and effort. However, it is does come with poor instructions and can be difficult to assemble. Our advise is to take your time.
Best small cart for transporting light products
The Draper Expert Garden Caddy features a 65L bed that is also lightweight, sturdy, constructed from strong plastic, is compact, and extremely durable. However, there have been complaints of it being of poor quality and the plastic wheels are known to break.
With this caddy you get what you pay for, however we not seen any better similar models to include so it one of the best of its kind currently available.
Unique and brilliantly designed for working around the garden and sitting on.
The small garden cart with a swivel seat, the Outsunny Adjustable Rolling Cart, is perfect for any gardener who is suffering from aches and pains; especially those found from squatting.
It has a durable metal frame and solid steel axles that allow it to steer and maneuver easily. The seat is also height adjustable to provide maximum comfort for the gardener.
It also features a utility basket at the rear and a tray under the seat to carry tools. However, it does have a limited carry capacity, with its max weight being 150kg including a person seating in the seat.
Best Heavy Duty Garden Cart
Lastly, the TecTake Heavy Duty Wheelbarrow Garden Trolley features quick release hinged side panels to ensure that you are able to access objects quickly.
It also includes a 100% polyester canvas liner which makes hauling loose gravel, soil, and stones quick and easy.
Overall, this is a durable cart. However, it is said to also have a time consuming assembly, a short handle, and it is on the expensive side.
Finals thoughts and conclusion
Before you purchase a garden cart, you should consider which type of cart would work best for you: standard garden cart wagon, Tipper carts, or a small and compact caddy cart.
Each type of cart comes with its own advantages as well as disadvantages, so the decision can only be made based on your specific needs and requirements.
Always remember to look at the capacity of each garden cart you are considering and whether or not it will suit the project you have in mind for your garden.
Next, you always want to consider what material the bed of the garden cart is made out of. Is it durable? Will is stand up to the project you want to use it for? Lastly, always makes sure you choose the proper tires.
If you need something for light use around the garden, then something with plastic tires should work perfectly for your needs. However, if your project consists of a lot of hauling of heavy materials, then you will need to consider all terrain pneumatic tires.
We hope our reviews have helped you make a more informed decision of which garden cart would be the best choice for you and your needs. Feel free to leave any comments below and let us know what your experience has been.?