Top 10 Best SDS Drills – Detailed Reviews & Comparisons
Choosing The Best SDS Hammer Drill
Normally SDS hammer’s combine rotary drilling and hammering actions. The best SDS hammer drills are capable of efficiently drilling holes even in the firmest brick walls or concrete. They are also extremely good at chiseling such as removing old tiles or chasing out bricks to insert sockets etc. This is one of the reasons they are so popular as well as the immense power they have when drilling into brick.
There are a lot of SDS drills out there and it’s pretty much confusing when you try to get one as a lot of features are incorporated to each and every SDS hammer drill.
This article’s sole purpose is to widely inform you on the best SDS hammer drill so you can make an informed judgement the next time you require a SDS drill. You will see our best picks in our SDS drill reviews further down if you have no time comparing the many tools in the market.
After hours of research and comparison, we came to the conclusion that the Makita DHR202Z SDS Hammer Drill was the best SDS hammer drill for most people whether a DIY novice or a professional tradesmen.
SDS Drill Buyer's Guide
First of all you have to understand what SDS+ means since there are various meaning to the word but the most commonly accepted being Slotted Drive System. The SDS means that SDS+ drills bits are equipped with slots at the very far end of the shank which perfectly fit into the SDS+ drill’s chuck. SDS+ drills mainly come in 3 types that is the 2 mode, 3 mode and a 3 mode with a changeable chuck.
Let’s look at various factors to look out for when buying either a cordless or a corded SDS hammer drill. Other Factors you should consider before buying a SDS drill are:
- Weight: this is the one of the most important characteristic when considering a SDS drill. Holding a drill over your shoulder level for a longtime is really tiresome and having a heavy drill will just make the situation worse. Even working with the lightest drills ranging from 2-3kg for an extended period of time is tiresome, so just imagine what working with a 6 kg drill will feel like. Unfortunately due to the nature of SDS drills they are usually fairly heavy when compared to standard drills.
- Speed: a drills maximum RPM (Revolution per Minute) will be highly influenced by the sort of work the drill was originally designed for. Higher speeds are best fitted for softer materials like wood whereas lower speeds are used for harder material such as masonry and stone.
A cordless drill like all other cordless power tools provides great freedom; this means no tripping over cables or moving extension cables around. Just like corded drills, cordless drills have both a low and high speed setting which results in the availability of more torque for drilling large diameter holes.
- Batteries: when you buy a cordless drill, consider one with two batteries so that while you’re using one battery, the other one can be charging. All batteries have a Ah rating, the higher the Ah the larger the capacity and the longer the run time. The downside is the higher the Ah the more expensive the battery. Most batteries are usually 3Ah, 4Ah or 5 Ah.
- Brushless motors: the newest trends in cordless drills is the usage of brushless motors. This results in much more power and there will be no need to replace brushes. All in all this improves the reliability of the drill. Drills fitted with brushless motors are usually more expensive.
TOP 10 SDS DRILL REVIEWS
Makita DHR202Z 18V plus Rotary Hammer Drill Review
**OUR BEST PICK**
After extensive research we came to the final conclusion that the Makita DHR202Z is the best SDS drill on the list for most people professional and home use. It’s both elegant in design and has interesting features which have been designed to act in accordance with its use. First of all, its Ergonomic shape fits perfectly and has a strong grip with ease of control.
This power tool has 3 operative functions, rotary hammer, rotary only and hammer only and it can easily drill through the most demanding materials such as masonry, brick and concrete.
The 18V Li-ion battery maximizes the run time plus it increases the total performance overall.
One of the best features is the chisel action that has 40 diverse locking positions to guarantee full flexibility in addition it can rotate all through 360 degrees. When you with a chisel is makes like work of chasing out plug sockets, removing tiles as well as other chasing jobs.
It has conveniently placed push button and rubber grip which make it easy to use plus, it incorporates an LED light which lets you work in low lit areas and corners for better vision.
It has an in-built torque limiter clutch which immediately stops when the bit jams and a torque limiting clutch that inhibits gear damage by automatically stopping the gears if it binds.
As you would expect for such a well designed SDS drill It permits faster bit changes since it has a one touch sliding chuck.
For full peace of mind it comes with a 3 year warranty when you register online within 30 days.
- Triple operation mode for rotation only, hammering with rotation, and hammering only.
- Light weight at only 3.5kg with an ergonomic shape that fits perfect with even pressure and simple control.
- LED job light with afterglow for easy working in dark areas.
- Powered by Lithium-ion batteries which have a greater lifespan and greater runtime than standard batteries.
- Features variable rotation mode which means the chisel can rotate a complete 360 degrees with 40 different locking positions.
- 3 Years warranty for full peace of mind.
- Battery and charger sold separately. If you all ready have Makita tools the battery may be compatible.
Would we recommend - This is probably the best SDS hand drill reviewed on this list which is why it was awarded our 'Best Pick', usually we wouldn't give the Best Pick Award to a cordless model because of the extra cost but in this occasion we have made an exception as we really think that this model deserves it.
It’s a brilliant piece kit and it’s a top quality product from Makita plus it works superbly for a prolonged period of time when used with the 18v 5Ah battery for the longer run time.
The side handles and rubber grip gives it a comfortable feel when using it. It’s very affordable compared to other brand products with the same features. I’d highly recommend this product for both professional and DIY use.
Overall Makita have done a brilliant job with this drill.
Makita HR2630 3 Mode SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill Review
**A great corded cheaper alternative to our 'Best Pick'**
The Makita HR2630 3 Mode SDS plus Rotary Hammer Drill is an outstanding improvement compared to Makita’s earlier models, the newly installed lever for interchanging between rotation and hammer modes is a breath of fresh air as compared to rotating the chuck to move through the settings.
This model has 3 functioning modes i.e. rotations only, hammering only and hammering with rotations. The rotation speed is adjustable and it greatly depends on the amount of force used to push the trigger.
It goes without saying; the model comes equipped with a reverse mode, meaning the beat can be rotated both clockwise and anti-clockwise as you would expect.
At only 2.8 kg its quite reasonable in terms of weight, well built but not to heavy making it comfortable to use and with a 1200 RPM it’s capable of drilling the most demanding materials.
This model comes with a 3 year warranty for full peace of mind when you register your drill on the Makita website.
- ?Powerful 800w motor delivered power when needed.
- It is well balanced it’s not too heavy so as to tire your arm easily. Only (2.4kg)
- Features a new operation-mode change switch which enables you to switch between 'Rotation' and 'Hammering' mode for ease if use and convenience.
- Variable speed control for accuracy.
- The main cords length is a decent length not to short.
- Due to its RPM its quite powerful and great care is needed when handling.
- The 40 bit angle setting makes the model more precise in drilling and hammering.
- No issues or problems to report
Would we recommend - Another exceptional tool from Makita, its high quality and have been extremely well designed.
It’s an extremely powerful tool and makes like work of anything you through at it from chiseling brick for inserting plug sockets to drilling holes through the brickwork.
It’s a great save when compared to the cordless alternative with similar specifications.
If your after a corded alternative to our 'Best Pick' then this is a great alternative and at around the same price as the bare tool before you evening purchased batteries and a charger it comes at a very affordable price for such an impressive drill.
Bosch Professional GBH2-20 D Corded 240V Rotary Hammer Drill with SDS plus Review
**Perfect entry level model for professionals**
The Bosch Professional GBH2-20 D SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill is an affordable versatile compact yet high performing power tool with a range of drilling and chiseling applications.
It has a net weight of 2.3kgs; pretty lightweight if you ask me besides its net weight makes the perfect tool for drilling overhead jobs. It’s robustly constructed make it perfect for trade use and is perfect for entry level professionals just getting started,
Generally hand drills power range from about 500-800W, so a 650-700W hand drill will provide enough power for most basic jobs. The Bosch Professional GBH2-20 D has a 650W motor and it can produce impact energy of 1.7j and a 4,200 BPM impact rate concentrated power means it makes light work of drilling into demanding materials to a maximum diameter of 20 mm.
There are hundreds of DIY instructions out there on how to transform a hand drill into a drill press, but there is one problem with this method, there is absolutely no way to control the drill speed. With this model you don’t have to go looking for DIY videos, its high drilling and chiseling rate is out of this world and, here is the best part, it has a variable speed, meaning you can easily control the drill speed by the amount of trigger button squeezed. Simple but very effective.
Finally, this product is equipped with a torque limit which prevents damage to the rotary hammer and the user. A torque limiter is an automatic device which efficiently protects mechanical equipment and its work from all types of damage by mechanical overload.
Finally Bosch offers a 3 year limited warranty with this drill as with most of there tools which just gives you full peace of mind.
- Fast drilling - with a 1300 RPM it has plenty of power, the model does not only drill through materials fast but users have compared it to putting a hot knife into a butter.
- Light weight - the product has a net weight of only 2.3 kg which is much lighter compared to its size, it doesn’t tire the arm when it’s used for a prolonged amount of period and it’s perfect for over the head jobs because of the light weight design.
- Long cord - it has a substantial and generous main cord which is great for situations where cordless are not necessary nor are they cost efficient.
- No problems to report.
Would we recommend - If you are just planning to drill a few small holes into a concrete wall then you don’t need to go for something that is too extreme, the Bosch Professional GBH2-20 D Corded Rotary Hammer Drill is perfect for masonry work and it comes at a great price.
Overall this is a great choice for anyone looking for a reliable and affordable SDS drill for professional or home use. However If within budget we would recommend investing the Makita HR 2630 SDS Drill and spending a little extra.
VonHaus 1500W SDS Rotary Impact Hammer Drill Review
**BEST BUDGET SDS DRILL SET**
If you are thinking about getting the best price tag for your money then you should consider making the VonHaus 1500W SDS Rotary Impact Hammer Drill your best choice. It has enough power to tackle the most challenging jobs. It has an impact rate of 4200 BPM and is most suited for demolishing bricks or digging out grouting, taking off tiles and removing plaster as well as drilling into demanding materials such as steel, concrete and wood.
This incredible power tool is equipped with a massive 1500W motor, which is very impressive considering you only need about 650-750W to accomplish basic tasks. Its multi-functional capacities which include, rotary, rotary with impact and chisel, ensures that it drills much faster and with extreme precision into bricks and concrete.
“With great power come great drilling capacity” and the VonHaus 1500W SDS Rotary Impact Hammer Drill 240V has a maximum drilling capacity of 13mm for materials made out of steel, 32mm for concrete and 42mm for wood. The upgraded auxiliary handle which is made out of rubber is very comfortable when handling and it has a great grip making sure you use it for extended periods without it slipping from your hands due to the vibrations. The product comes with a 2 year warranty which is outstanding when you consider it comes with accessories, a nice strong case and all for under £70 at time of this review.
The total set comes with wide-range set of accessories which include;
- 1 pair of replacement carbon brush
- Grease pot.
- 2 Flat Head Chisels ideal for breaking up concrete, brick and removing tiles.
- 8/10/12*150mm SDS plus drill bits.
- Auxiliary handle for extra comfort.
- 14mm*250mm Hex point/flat chisel.
- 1pc 40/75mm chisel.
- ?Excellent value for money for heavy duty occasional home use.
- the use of hard case as compared to other brands which use thin metal, which often start to rust and bend. The plastic case lasts longer and doesn’t wear out in time and is very robust.
- Uses less power: this power tool has 1500W and the impact energy of 45j as compared to other similar brands with the same impact energy but with averages of 1700W. This makes you realize that this tool uses far less power and is as effective as the high end hand drills.
- Accessories: it has a wide range of accessories that come with it on purchase all of which come in handy whenever you are using it. But beware of the grease pot since a lot of clients have complained that on purchase the pot seal is usually broken spilling out grill inside the casing.
- 2 years warranty for extra peace if mind.
- Weight: Is fairly heavy specially when using it for prolonged periods of time and on overhead jobs.
- Toggle could be better: We found some reports of the drill hammer toggle doesn’t lock completely it may switch itself on from time to time which may be really irritating and painful at the same time.
- May not stand up to consistent trade use on a daily basis.
Would we recommend - We really like that the VonHaus 1500W SDS Rotary Impact Hammer Drill comes complete with SDS Drill Bits and a nice strong carry case making it the perfect set for the home user as you should have everything you need.
It’s a beast in terms of size and power and is much cheaper compared to other brands which cost many times more.
Overall a nice set which is perfect for home use or the odd demanding task such as breaking up a old concrete floor.
Probably not a great choice for trade use but perfect for domestic home use and we love the fact that it comes with a 2 year warranty, as apposed to 1 year which most cheaper models come with.
Dewalt D25134K-GB SDS Plus Hammer and Quick Change Chuck Review
**GREAT FOR TRADE USE**
Dewalt is a company that boasts itself in the manufacture of strong durable products, any professional tradesmen will be familiar with DeWalt and there very high quality tools and reputation. The Dewalt D25134K-GB DRILL is no different, it’s a strong efficient hand drill that is perfect for anchor, fixing and drilling holes into both concrete and masonry with a diameter of 26mm.
This SDS+ hammer is equipped with unique and very impressive quick change 3 mode and a rotation-stop mode for simple chiseling tasks in bricks, lighter masonry tasks and concrete once in a while. With a net weight of 2kg and dimension of 35 x 44 x 13 cm its extremely light weight when compared to most other models some of which weight more than double.
The Dewalt D25134K-GB has a superb impact-stop and is best suited for drilling through steel, ceramic and wood. The products hammer is designed to deliver high performances with minimal stress to the critical as to guarantee the component's durability. The hammer is also equipped with a quick-change removable chuck best suited for drilling steel, ceramic, wood as well a screwdriving.
The variable speed offers complete control in all applications plus the hammer is fitted with a rubber coating both on the back and side handle for that strong grip. Dewalt offer a 3 year warranty which has to be registered online otherwise you get the standard 12 months.
- Powerful 800W motor.
- No Load Speed; 0-1,500/min.
- Impact Rate: 0-5m,40/BPM.
- 2.8 Joules.
- Capacity: wood 30mm, steel 13mm, concrete 26 mm.
It’s also supplied with;
- 1 x Depth Stop and 1 x Heavy Duty Carrying case.
- 1 x Quick Change 13mm Keyless.
- 1 x Multi-Position Rubber Side Handle.
- Weight: this versatile product has a net weight of only 2kg. It’s completely light weight and when using it you’ll notice that it never wears you out enabling you to work for an extended period of time.
- Precise: the products head is very firm giving absolute precision when drilling through sensitive material like timber or for accurate measurements.
- Features rotation-stop for light chiselling jobs in brick, masonry and concrete once in a while.
- Incorporates quick change removable chuck for drilling in wood, steel, ceramic and screwdriving.
- 3 years warranty when you register online within 30 days.
- Small casing: doesn’t fit inside the protective case when the standard chuck is installed, you have to either remove the chuck or store it with the SDS chuck installed instead.
- Includes no SDS drill bits or chisels.
Would we recommend - The Dewalt D25134K-GB is an amazing product, very versatile, incredibly light but a bit expensive, however its worth every penny when you to the features, design and quality into account.
If your looking for a very versatile SDS drill for doing a range of jobs this is worth taking into consideration, if your looking for a drill for strictly breaking up concrete you will need pass, is fine for occasionally breaking up concrete and chiseling but does seen up to tackling the most demanding tasks.
Overall its a very good SDS drill for anyone looking for a very versatile tool from one of the best manufactures for tackling a range of tasks both drilling and chiselling. Worth every penny to the professional tradesmen.
Hitachi DH26PX 26mm 240v SDS plus Rotary Hammer Drill and Side Handle Review
**AMAZING TOOL & EXCELLENT VALUE**
Hitachi is a Japanese company that was founded in 1910; it deals with a range of products including telecommunication Systems, High Functional materials & components, Automotive Systems and many more products. The center of attention today is the Hitachi DH26PX SDS plus Rotary Hammer Drill and Side Handle.
Innovative as it is elegant this product design is an upgrade from other brands. The double modeled side handle feature is just outstanding, it not only enhances its features, and it also reduces the vibration. This product is clearly an upgrade from what we are used to from Hitachi previous model we have reviewed before.
It’s manufactured with a resourceful high durable hammering mechanism which seems has twice the robustness of Hitachi’s previous models.
This model has one push function for calm bit mounting and an angle adjustment function that allows much relaxed alignment of chisel blades for the perfect fit. It has high impact energy (3.2j), safety clutch and a very impressive maximum drill bit diameter of 28mm.
With a net weight of 2.8 kg its light weight for its size and measures a tidy 36.5 x 20.5 x 7.5 cm so is not too large for over head work. Once purchased the product comes with a depth stop which is all ways handy, side handle for extra comfort and a good quality robust carrying case.
- Large motor: the product has a very large 830 watt motor giving it immense power and the average ability to work for a long period of time without any hiccups.
- Durable: due to its robust structure it's able to last for a long period of time without the need of replacing it or upgrading to another model.
- Weight: with a net weight of 2.8 kg and dimensions 36.5 x 20.5 x 7.5 cm it’s very simple to work with for a prolonged period of time.
- Excellent value for money and ideal for home or professional use.
- 3 years warranty when you register online or 1 year standard is you don't.
- No problems found with this product.
Would we recommend - This product is an update from the older models of Hitachi; it has great power which is one of the most important things when buying a power tool.
There have been some concerns though about the hand drill selector, a few customers have claimed it has a tendency to jam and doesn’t respond at all. But there have been a few reported cases of this incident and Hitachi has completely repaired or replaced ever Hitachi DH26PX that has been reported with this problem.
Overall this seems to be another excellent SDS drill and all for under £90 at the time of our review.
On Amazon we noticed it had over 48 reviews the majority of which are very good which further comfirms the quality and performance of this drill.
A great choice for any home user or professional tradesmen, personally I would edge towards the Makita or DeWalt model and pay a little extra but for those who all ready prefer Hitacha this is certainly worth adding to your collect of tools.
Silverline Tools GMC SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill Review
**ANOTEHR BEAST OF A SDS DRILL**
Silverline Tools SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill is a product of GMC (Global Machinery Company) which was founded in 1997 in Australia, they pride themselves in being a leader in product information.
This heavy duty affordable model features a three modes which include operations such as stop rotation which is essentially the hammer function which can be used with a chisel for breaking up concrete, chasing brick work, removing tiles, anything which requires a chisel and a lot of power and force. It obviously also has drill only and hammer and drill for drilling into the most dense and demanding batteries such as stone, brick and concrete.
It features a very powerful 1500w motor which produces a No load speed of 270-780 rpm and has an impact force of 5J to ensure you have all the power needed,
One feature we don't see on all models is variable speeds, the Silverline SDS drill has a easy to use rotation switch to set the speed which provide ease of control and penetration in concrete and wood at the optimum speed.
As a safety measure the torque clutch is designed to disengage automatically so as to protect your wrist from too much pressure, but if it could be preset to a higher torque then the awesome power could really be put to great use.
Finally it has a net weight of 6kgs which is not the lightest model we have reviewed. The full set includes:
- 1 x Chuck Key
- 1 x Hard carry case
- 1 x 13mm keyed chuck
- 2 x Carbon brushes
- 1 x Dust cap
- 1 x Adjustable depth gauge
- 1 x Grease pot1 x Pin wrench
- 3 x SDS drill bits
- 2 x Chisel bits
- Wide bit selection: Comes with a wide selection of SDS bits, chisel and maintenance bits, unlike some brands which don’t offer such a wide range of drill bit on purchase if any.
- Excellent value for money for such a heavy duty drill.
- 3 Year warranty for extra peace of mind.
- Weight: the drill is really heavy and is not intended for cutting precise holes through brick walls. Its weight also wears you out easily and is not ideal for over the head jobs.
- Dust: when being used the product directly blows exhausted cooling air and any dust that might be sucked by the motor straight to your face. It’s quite irritating if you’re right handed but if you’re a lefty then the dust just blows past you. Don't forget to wear protective eye wear. The good part is that he fan keeps the motor cool.
- Needs to be regular re-greased approx every 6 hours which means added maintenance.
Would we recommend - Overall this is a very heavy duty drill with plenty of power and will make light weight of the most demanding and back breaking work, the only real downside is the weight, at 6kg It really is heavy and takes some effort to use.
If your looking for SDS hammer drill for breaking up concrete or drill holes into very hard materials such as solid stone or concrete then this is the drill for you, its fairly well priced and with a 3 year warranty it offers excellent value for money.
Don't forget to make sure there is grease in the drill and it does come with a grease in a pot ready to use.
Overall a fanatic drill for anyone setting out to tackle a very demanding task? and is brilliant when used as breaker, far cheaper than renting one.
Cordless SDS Drill Reviews
Dewalt 18V XR Lithium-Ion SDS Plus Rotary Hammer Drill Kit Review
**BEST CORDLESS SDS DRILL FOR PROFESSIONALS**
This 3 mode cordless hammer drill by DeWalt features a rotation stop mode which is best suited for simple lighter jobs such chiseling off tiles, removing plaster and render, chasing brickwork, plus an impact stop mode for rotary drilling explicitly in metal and wood where the hammer action is not needed. Finally the hammer drilling mode is perfect for drilling holes, fixing anchors and a maximum capacity of drilling holes in masonry such concrete and brick to a maximum diameter of 24mm making it a very versatile tool for any tradesmen.
The full set comes equipped with 2 x 4Ah 18 Volt Lithium Ion batteries which gives around 33% more run time than the 3Ah battery which most models have, this power tool guarantees high performances for a maximum run time and equally fast charge time.
It has total dimensions of 11.2 x 48.2 x 29.6 cm and a net weight of only 5.6kg making it fairly light weight when compared to cheaper model.
It also has the best vibration of 6.9m/s in its class and comes with a bright white LED light to ensure better visibility even in dimly lit areas.
Finally Dewalt now offer a 3 year warranty for this product but it must be registered online. If you don't register you get the default 1 year so be sure to register online to take advantage of the extra two years.
?The total set includes the drill, two large capacity 18v 4Ah lithium-ion battery and charger, it all comes in a very robust case for easy storage and transporting from job to job.
- Very well made and great performance, plenty of power.
- 2 x 4Ah Lithium Batteries are very long lasting, you can use it constantly and it seems to last longer than you would expect.
- Take advantage of 3 years warranty when you register online.
- Comes in a very robust plastic carry case for easy storage and transportation to jobs.
- The hammer only mode for chiseling is only designed for lighter work, not heavy demanding jobs
- The whole set is fairly expensive but it does come with 2 batteries and a charger.
Would we recommend - Initially I expected cordless hand drills to have less power but that is not the case, this product has enough power for regular jobs and will come in handy whenever you want to get precise holes.
This is a fantastic set for anyone looking for the battery and charger included as most cordless models are sold as bare tools only. Its very well made as you would expect for DeWalt and we like the fact that it includes two 4Aah batteries rather than the smaller 2Ah or 3Ah most models would come with to keep the price down.
Its certainly not cheap but when you consider what it includes, it still offers excellent value for money for the professional.?
We certainly would not recommend it for heavy chisel work such as breaking up a concrete drive or path but its just perfect for lighter jobs such as removing tiles? or chasing out walls. A great set for any window fitters or electricians looking for a professional SDS drill for daily work.
We simply could not find any faults or drawbacks, absolutely brilliant drill.
Bosch Professional GBH L-Boxx 36 V-EC Compact Cordless Rotary Hammer Drill with 36 v 2.0 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery Review
**A ?LIGHTER? ALTERNATIVE TO THE DEWALT 18V XR DRILL BUT WIRH NO HAMMER ONLY FUNCTION**
We all are familiar with Bosch and its range of products and the Bosch Professional GBH L-Boxx 36 V SDS Hammer Drill is an upgrade compared to its predecessor the GBH 36 V-LI. It has a faster work rate as a result of the higher single impact energy.
It has great combination of power and can drill up to 160 holes, (6 x 40 mm in C30/37 concrete) with just one battery charge.
Bosch Electronic Rotation Control (ERC) motor maintains control whenever the drill bit jams, is maintenance free and enhances the tool life and improves ease of use.
The Electronic Motor Protection is extremely robust; it completely shuts down the motor in case of an overload. The hand drill weighs just about 2.9kgs and has a solid design which makes it much more comfortable to use.
Its compact, lightweight and dust protected so as to reduce the amount of time taken in maintaining the product.
Bosch Cell Protection (ECP) protects the products battery from an overload, overheating or discharging, and the battery can be charged no matter the charging state without damaging the cells.
This set comes with the following but you will need to invest in some SDS Bits it you do not have some all ready.
- 1 x GBH 36 V-EC MD SDS+ Hammer Drill
- 1 x AL3640CV Quick Charger
- 2 x 2.0 Ah 36v Li-Ion Batteries
- 1 x Auxiliary handle
- 1 x Depth Stop 210mm
- 1 x Inlay L- Boxx
- 1 x L- Boxx 238 Carry Case
- At only 2.9kg its light weight making it ideal for over head drilling with ease and can drill up to 160 holes from one charge.
- With an impact energy of 1.8j and an impact rate of 4.850 BPM , this power tool has a lot of power and is capable of drilling through concrete, steel, wood, ceramic and plastic with ease.
- Soft grip: the main and auxiliary handles have soft grips which absorb a lot of vibrations also ensuring you hold the tool firmly without it slipping through your hands.
- Supplied with two - 36v 2Ah batteries and a quick charger all presented in a robust stackable carry case.
- Includes 3 years warranty when you register online.
- Depth stop: the depth stop has few faults, it constantly moves when drilling and cannot be relied on when drilling extremely price holes or sensitive materials. Due to its design the depth stop cannot be tightened so as to prevent it from moving as a result of this it fails to function effectively.
- No hammer only: the biggest challenge to this drill is that it doesn’t have a hammer only option. Because of this you can’t be able to use a SDS chisel or any channeling tools.
- No torque: the product lacks a torque setting so you need to use the speed control on the trigger to make sure you do not overscrew and round off screws.
Would we recommend - This is a very powerful drill but it lacks a what we consider an important function, it lacks the capability of switching to hammer only mode which is very useful for the odd time you need to use a chisel bit to remove tiles or do some chasing out.
All in all it’s a great tool despite the flaw and is very robust and does an excellent job at drilling in concrete, brick, stone etc. The downside is that it is very expensive when you consider you don't have the hammer only option. However it’s very light and is very comfortable when using it for longer periods of time and comes with 2 x 36v batteries that seem to last surprisingly long to say they are only 2Ah rated.
It retails at a very similar price to the DeWalt 18v XR SDS Hammer Drill and the DeWalt has the hammer function fitted and comes with 2 x 4Ah battery but the Bosch model is lighter and more compact.
All in all its a good tool, just a shame about the hammer only function not be available.
WORX WX390 20V 3-in-1 h3 Max Lithium-Ion Rotary Hammer Drill Review
**BEST BUDGET PICK FOR DEMANDING DRILLING JOBS AROUND THE HOME**
The WORX WX390 is a 3 in 1 power tool that is built with an extremely powerful pneumatic (filled with compress air) hammering action making it a perfect option for the most demanding drilling tasks such as drilling into brick or concrete.
The ergonomic design allows the user to have a strong grip and much better control when using it for tougher jobs. It’s powered by a 20V Lithium-Ion battery with a long life and it has compact lightweight design that makes it both attractive and easy to use.
It has a fatigue free working feature making it much more comfortable to use plus, its installed a LED Work Light that lets you work your way all through the dark areas without a hassle.
It measures 41.2 x 28.8 x 12.8 cm making it and extremely compact drill and weighing only 3.8kg its very light weight.
The set comes with a fast charger which allows you to charge the battery in just under 1 hour meaning you will not be waiting long before working again. The powershare option allows you to interchange the 20V battery with other WORX tools .
The whole set is ideal for the home user and includes the following:
- 1 x WX390 H3 20V Max Lithium-Ion 3 in 1 Rotary Hammer
- 1 x WA3551 .1 20V/2.0Ah Lithium Battery
- 1 x 1hr Charger
- 1 x Keyless chuck adapter
- 1 x Keyless chuck adapter
- 2 x HSS Drill Bits2x SDS Drill Bits
- 4 x Screwdriver bits
- Carry Case
- ?Compact and light weight design.
- Comes with a range of SDS drills and can also be used with standard drill bits using the chuck adapter.
- It’s a 3 in 1 tool which makes it perfect for tackling a range of jobs around the home as well as drilling into demanding materials such as brick and concrete.
- Design: Due to its ergonomic design it has a fatigue free working feature which makes it very comfortable to use and way more convenient.
- Longer battery life: It comes with a long lasting 20V Lithium-Ion battery with a long life and a fast charging charger which will fully charge the battery in only 60 minutes.
- Less power: Despite running on a 20V battery, the drill doesn’t much power as expected and its best suited for accomplishing simple home jobs and won’t be of much use to professional contractors.
- Drill speed is a little slow.
- Not suitable for using with chisel.
Would we recommend - The WORX WX390 cordless SDS Hammer Drill is an amazing and an efficient product in driving in screws, drilling and impact drilling.
The fatigue free design is top notch and brings a different feel to the market. The long lasting battery is an added advantage and its one of the best products on the market for the home user.
We like that is incredibly light weight and small when compared to other models and is a great choice for home use for drilling into demanding materials.
Its a great set and comes with a good range of drill bits and fairly robust case, the only real downside is that its not suitable for using with a chisel as it would not have the power to deal with such demanding jobs and to be honest is not heavy duty enough. Overall though a great SDS drill to have around the home for drilling holes where a standard drill simply does not have the power. Great SDS drill set.
Finals thoughts and conclusion
The products reviewed on this article have all made it onto our top SDS drill list because they all have there advantages and further more, beat a further 12 models which we didn't think made the cut. Every product reviewed above is best written so as to provide you with complete knowledge so as to help you make an educated decision on which SDS drill is best for you.
Below is a quick summary of our favourite SDS Hammer Drills which includes our 'Best Pick' which after our research we considered the best SDS drill for most people, Our best cordless hammer drill and finally our best recommended corded SDS hammer drill.