Best Workbench – Top 5 Foldable Models & Reviews
How To Choose The Best Portable Workbench
Every woodworker and DIY’er needs a platform to carry out their tasks. Whether it’s sawing, nailing, sanding or cutting, the best working surface allows you to deliver remarkable results. While you can create a work surface at your workshop or at home, it is unlikely that you’ll be able to transport it to some other area for a different project, for instance. Chances are that your work surface will be quite bulky and not compact.
A portable workbench is the ideal remedy. These tools are foldable and lightweight, and thus extremely portable. As a matter of fact, there’s a lot you can do with a foldable workbench; you can convert it to a tool stand, clamp, vice, sawhorse and more. You don’t expect such kind of versatility from an ordinary worktable, however, the best foldable workbench will go a long away to ensure most of your carpentry needs are met. Additionally, these tools are built tough, so they can handle incredible loads.
If you are looking for the best workbench for your projects, then you’ve come to the right place. Don’t be mistaken, we are not selling a workbench directly to you, but we’ll help you find one that suits the requirements of your project and that’s what’s important. Everything you need to know before buying a workbench is right down on our buyer’s guide. That’s not all, we’ve picked the best workbenches in the market and you can find more about the products in the workbench reviews section. Feel free to order one these premium products that you think will be right for your project.
Below we shall discuss the different characteristics of the best workbench that will suit your purposes. Before we do, we would like to bring your attention to the winner of our 'Best Pick Award' which we awarded to the Black + Decker WM536 as we think it is the best choice for most people and comes at an affordable price, in fact its actually one of the cheapest workbenches on our review.
The Best Work Benches Which Are Included In Our Review Are Listed Below:
Workbench Buyers Guide
A portable workbench is not something you change every other year, so there’s a lot to put into consideration before spending your money on a single tool.
- Stability - probably the core factor of a workbench, stability is determined by the construction and material used to make the workbench. The materials usually vary from steel, resin and plastic. Workbenches made from steel are the sturdiest and offers more stability compared to the other materials. On the downside, a steel workbench will be heavier and less portable than maybe a plastic one. If weight and portability matters to you that much, then resin will be the best bet – it’s lightweight and durable whilst offering great stability. However, it is quite expensive.
- Leg stands - these contribute greatly to the stability of the workbench although it is a factor that’s usually ignored. They hold the bench firmly on the ground without wobbling. Go for legs with anti-skid rubber to avoid frustrations.
- Versatility - ideally, you want a workbench that not offers a workspace but also accommodate your other tools such as wood router. Look for a workbench that can retrofit as a clamp or a vice. Pay attention the swivel pegs and how they are operated, whether by hands or with the leg.
- Workspace area - this is where you are going to do most of the tasks. Choose a model that offers enough space for your materials and other tools. In the event that the space is a bit small, then look for extra compartments or pockets.
- Maximum weight - the question is, how much weight can the workbench hold? This is where strength and stability of the workbench comes in. A weak workbench might force the legs apart and break over time. Generally, pick a workbench that will comfortably hold the tools you’ll be working with.
- Measurements and markings - top quality workbenches have measurements and markings imprinted on the benchtop. Make sure they are laser engraved rather than painted over.
- Construction quality - this is an important factor to consider and comprehend. The construction quality dictates the functionality of the workbench in the short-term and long-term. A sturdy workbench will stand the test of time since it can accommodate a considerable amount of weight.
- User-friendly - a workbench should be just appropriate for your height, so pay attention to the workbench height and stand height.
- Brand - of course, every other company wants to sell their products. When it comes to buying a workbench, it is important to go for established brands that guarantee quality and durability in their products. Inexpensive alternatives usually turn out to be frustrating in the long run.
Advantages of a portable workbench
- Mobility – that’s the whole point of having a “portable” workbench. It can easily be carried from one workplace to another or if you have to travel to your workplace on a frequent basis.
- It can handle incredible weights. You’ll even find models that can handle up to 900kg, which is way more than a standard user may need.
- It offers everything you need at a go, from a working area and storage compartments to hosting a vice and providing measurements and markings.
- Versatility – this is the absolute reason why even professional woodworkers with plenty of space in their workshops choose to work with these tools.
TOP 5 WORKBENCH REVIEWS
Black + Decker WM536 Dual Height Workmate Review
OUR BEST PICK
Black+Decker is an American Corporation which manufactures hardware, accessories, power tools, home improvement products and technology based fastening systems. This Black & Decker dual height workmate can be used as a bench tool stand, workbench, vice, or sawhorse.
It is constructed from a durable steel frame that can be folded flat. The dual height workmate has adjustable swivel pegs made of plastic and jaw retention grooves. It also features dual clamping cranks and anti-slip rubber feet.
This equipment does not require any batteries for it to work. The adjustable swivel pegs and jaw retention grooves provide clamping versatility and reliable material hold. Dual clamping cranks are used to increase clamping force and versatility. The WM536 dual height workmate folds flat for compact storage and easy transportation.
The Workmate allows you to fix the piece you are working to the workbench, so that you can be able to work on it with both hands without the risk of it making any movements during application. The front jaw of this workmate swings up for vertical clamping hence increasing flexibility to clamp odd-shaped objects.?
- Working Heights - 775 / 595 mm
- Folded Size (W X H X D) - 610 x 740 x 195 mm
- Vice Jaw Opening - 0-136 mm
- Vice Jaw Length - 610 mm
- Maximum Table Width - 384 mm
- Maximum Load - 250 Kg
- Item Weight - 11 Kg
- Easy set-up and clean-up design.
- Two handed operation.
- Affordable due to its low price.
- Highly reliable.
- Low profile for tall persons.
The Black and Decker WM536 dual height workmate is stable, solid, well built, secure, handy and compact when folded. If you don’t have so much space for a stationery bench, this one will take as little space in your store. And when you are ready for the next job, you’ll appreciate the ease of set-up of this model. You also benefit from easy clean-up.
For customers looking for a compact model, this Amazon bestseller is the best foldable workbench available today.
Bosch PWB 600 Workbench Review
The Bosch PWB 600 Workbench is mainly constructed from aluminium box section extrusions and has a 15mm bamboo block top. Its worktop is 680mm wide by 550mm long. It is a very stable bench with a large working area and vice which can be folded and re-assembled in seconds.
Fitted with robust wooden work surfaces and a vice that runs the full lengths of the bench, it is designed for solid everyday usage rather than for just being used once or twice and then be relegated to a forgotten garage. The workbench has 4 clamping jaws that fit onto the working surface so that to deal with round and awkward shaped objects.
The Bosch Workbench has storage for small items under the worktop which offers sufficient space to store small tools and accessories used for working on the project, i.e. screws, sanding sheets and nails. The worktop is in two parts; the front part of which is roughly 240mm and can be moved by means of the two screw handles to provide a gap of up to 85mm between the two halves, and the inside edges of the top pieces have v-grooves to make it a simple task to clamp a work piece between them.
Also, the Bosch work bench is supplied with 4 plastic bench stops which can be inserted into the holes in the worktop so as to provide a means of clamping larger items or objects. When they are not in use, they are packed conveniently out of the way in the holes in a cross member.
- Working Height – 830 mm
- Load Capacity - 200 Kg
- Nett Weight - 11.6 Kg
- Jaw Opening - 85mm (525 with clamping jaws)
- Simple to erect and use safely.
- Easy to carry with one hand.
- Does not take up an excessive amount of storage space.
- Sturdy and versatile workbench.
- Easy to set-up and fold afterward.
- Solid waterproof surface.
- It is expensive.
This tool that comes with storage compartments, a clamping and folding mechanisms is very adequate for occasional use. Its waterproof and scratch resistant bamboo surface guarantees maximum durability while the aluminium frame gives a lightweight and stable workbench.
While the Bosch PWB 600 workbench appears to be a very portable workbench for tradesman and anyone who would prefer to use it by himself or herself, it would be a worthwhile buy because it is a premium product in the market.
Black + Decker WM626-XJ Dual Height Tough Workbench Review
The Black+Decker WM626 is well designed for easy set-up and clean-up. It can hold virtually anything to be worked on and can be used as a bench tool stand, a vice, for painting and cutting, and as well as sawhorse or a general purpose workbench. This happens due to its dual working heights.
The WM626-XJ dual height touch workbench features dual clamping cranks which increases versatility and clamping force, durable steel frame construction which ensures long life of the equipment, jaw retention grooves and adjustable swivel pegs which provides clamping versatility and reliable material hold during your working.
The heavyweight steel construction allows the workbench to support a weight of up to 250Kg and its feet is rubber made to avoid slipping. The Black+Decker workbench folds flat for easy transport and compact storage. This product has a folded size of 742mm width x 740mm.
- Working Heights - 775 / 595 mm
- Folded Size - 742 X 740 X 200 mm (W x H x D)
- Vice Jaw Opening – 0-136 mm
- Vice Jaw Length – 740 mm
- Max Table Width – 384 mm
- Item Weight – 13Kg
- Robust and sturdy.
- Lightweight and compact for transportation and storage.
- Easy to set up.
- Quick to clean.
- No additional maintenance required.
- Long life service offering.
- Good value.
- Doesn’t really hold up large pieces vertically, for instance, a door.
This is an extremely solid and well-constructed compact workbench that accomplishes everything it promises. The Black+Decker WM626???-XJ dual height tough workbench offers great versatility since it can be used as a workbench, vice, sawhorse and bench tool stand.
Its heavyweight steel construction not only guarantees a long lifespan but also supports large weights up to 250kg. When we speaking about workbench versatility, this model must be put in that equation, and if that’s what you are looking for, then the Black+Decker WM626-XJ in excellent pick.
Keter 221475 Folding Work Table Review
The Keter 221475 is a popular version of the Keter Corporations. Its construction has been boosted with better and more durable materials. This Folding work table create a professional working area due to its versatility. This table features sturdy legs and set up system that takes seconds. It is lightweight and heavy-duty.
This table unfolds to a wide and generous work space area that can accommodate all your work materials and tools. The table can handle weight of up to 453Kg. The Keter 221475 Folding work table has two 12 inches clamps for more practicality. The table forms a large work surface and features a folding work station which is ideal for brushing, nailing, sawing, and any other DIY (Do It Yourself) tasks.
The work table has wide angled stands which offers a lot of stability and compartments to hold tools like hammer, screw drivers and nails. It has a very nice portable form factor and consumes average space making it suitable for small workshops with limited space. The Keter work table can be stored away conveniently when not in use.?
- Material – Plastic (aluminum) and metal.
- Height – 755 mm.
- Length – 550 mm.
- Width – 850 mm.
- Item Weight – 12Kg.
- Guarantee – 1 year
- Mobile workstation.
- Very stable and super-flat surface.
- It is very solid.
- Extremely durable.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Work area can be a little restrictive.
A good model workbench should have everything that you need to get you ready and set for your working. Just like the Keter 221475 Folding Work Table, it should have a place to store your power tools and provide you with a generous work area.
This work table is one sure investment for your current and future jobs and any professional carpenter with a lot of space in his/her workshop can choose to work with it. You’ll especially appreciate the large working area that holds up to 453kg.
Ryobi RWB02 Adjustable Folding Work Bench Review
The Ryobi RWB02 foldable work bench features a clever design for portability and easy storage as well as pivoting board for additional grip and your work applications. This Adjustable Folding Work Bench top surface is made out of a quality bamboo which provides a highly durable work surface for all manner of cutting, sanding and much more.
It has good folding capabilities means for easy storing and transportation making it great to use in both indoors and outside, i.e. away from your workshop. The adjustable work bench has 4 clamps with multiple clamp settings for heavy duty clamping. It also has quick guide measurements on the work surface which ensure accuracy and fast-moving working. The Ryobi adjustable folding work bench can hold up to 100Kg.
- Folded Size (W x H x D) – 605 x 120 x 180 mm
- Item Weight – 6.5Kg
- This workbench is supplied with a spanner.
- Easy to assemble.
- Folds down and can fit in a closet.
- Durable for lifetime performance.
- Reasonably priced.
- It is fairy light and compact.
- Has a convenient design.
- Nothing to report here
This Ryobi RWB02 adjustable folding work bench has been made for all DIY projects simple. The fact that this work bench is easy to assemble means that it is convenient and you are able to use it anywhere at any time. Considering this basic model is within an affordable price range, it is a go-to product for DIY’ers.
Our Final Conclusion
It is never wise to pick a tool based on one factor alone. It may be a brand that you trust, the construction of the product or perhaps the price that you think reflects the specifications of the tool. The best way to select the best workbench for the job is to consider a mix of useful features, keeping in mind the needs of your project. You can also rely on workbench reviews for decision making. The above 5 best foldable workbenches will make DIY jobs easier, so you can depend on them.
Below is a quick summary of some of our best recommended models.
Our Best Pick
BLACK+DECKER WM536 Dual Height Workmate
This goes to the BLACK+DECKER WM536 Dual Height Workmate. A big standout of this product is the dual working heights at 775mm and 595mm. The product stands a maximum weight of 250kg, making it ideal for most standard jobs.
Another selling point is the dual clamping cranks which increases force and versatility. It sets up easily and folds flat when the job is done. The tough build is something that most will appreciate for long term use of the workbench while clean-up is also a breeze. In fact, this model is very popular among professional carpenters and DIY’er – no wonder it’s making huge sales online and in major hardware stores across the UK.
Best heavyweight workbench
Keter 221475 Folding Work Table
The heavyweight that lives within is the Keter 221475 Folding Work Table. This beast can handle a maximum of 453kg and thus ideal for handling large or heavy pieces. This capability is not only as a result of strength but also due to the large working area of 85 x 55 cm.
Other goodies include two clamps of 30cm and a fast release-system for quick assembly. The Keter 221475 is perfect for most DIY tasks thrown its way, including nailing, brushing, sawing and many more. It does cost more than twice our winner yet you get what you pay for.