Best Gardening Gloves – We compare and Review 10 Top Pairs
Best Gardening Gloves
Gardening can be a very obsessive hobby. I bet most of you can relate. Whether it is a vegetable growing at your allotment or pottering around the garden, you usually take pride in how beautiful your garden is. Working on your garden takes some blood, sweat and tears. All that plucking, digging and pulling must take a toll on your lovely hands. So how do we take care of this wear and tear imposed on your hands? By using quality gardening gloves.
Gardening gloves are an essential part of good gardening. Handling all that soil, compost manure and thorns does not sound like a good idea on naked hands. You’ll end up getting all that grime on your hands and sometimes it is close to impossible to clean your nails completely. Just like a mechanic’s hand after long periods of dabbling in oil and tar.
Glove manufacturers identify with our hand protection needs and have stormed the market with so much variety. Now you can get yourself a pair of protective gloves in the material, thickness and color you want. Who said gardening gloves can’t have a little pizzazz added to them simply because they handle dirt?
Now gardening gloves can range from a few pounds to over twenty pounds so its essential you choose the best gloves for your chosen chores.
Gardening Gloves Buyers Guide
To narrow down your search, there are few things to note below.
When you look in the market, the different varieties of material and variety may overwhelm your senses. Looking for your dream gardening gloves shouldn’t be homework. There are a few things you should note just to make selection easier for you.
- 1. Desired Function - Not all of us are necessarily involved in doing actual gardening. We can undertake different roles, for example, pesticide control. The gloves required in handling these chemicals may not be ideal for gently handling your tulips. For whatever reason that you need the gloves for, ensure that the material and weight will enable you to efficiently do your work. This is specially true for rose gardening as they need to be thorn proof but flexible.
- 2. Perfect Fit - When you are gardening, you surely don’t want to have loose gloves on you. It is among the most irritating and exasperating things you can ever deal with while gardening. Simply look for gloves that fit the size of your hand, the fit always leaning towards snug. This way, you can enjoy good grip and comfort. Garden glove designs can be made to fit either men or women. The contrast between the hand sizes and features on both males and females are very evident. Be sure to pick up gloves fashioned for your gender, it’ll fit better.
- 3. Manageable closures - When using gloves, the fit around the wrist is critical to the overall fit of the glove. The whole makeup of the closure is to secure the hand from contact with outside elements. The looser the closure gets overtime, the more the fit of the glove declines. Gloves with Velcro straps are very popular as they have proven that they are adjustable to fit any size of wrist.
- 4. Flexibility - No matter the thickness of the gloves, they should always be flexible. Working with stiff gloves can be compared to trying to run with a cast around your leg.
- 5. Sufficient Protection - If you get involved in gardening activities that might cause injury, you might want to look for gloves that have sufficient padding and reinforced tips. This padding is there to give you some comfort and protection. Also, consider what material you use. Some are more prone to wear and tear if used for heavy duty work.
- Price - When it comes to price you have to ask yourself two questions. What do I need them for? How much I’m I willing to spend? Companies have already taken their time to create tailor made glove solutions for your gardening needs. You can even tickle your fancy and get customized gloves. For regular gloves you can spend a cool ten pounds. Sometimes however, you need heavier gloves which end up costing you more. A range of £20-£30 is what you will be working with, or higher.
- 7. Material - This is a big one. The material you take determines the durability, and usability of your gloves. There are multiple varieties of material you can choose from. Some of us have to consider skin sensitivity to some materials when selecting gloves. The use of the gloves will also govern the choice of material. Below are some of the materials readily available.
Cotton: These versatile gloves in print and style are easy to get. They are usually light weight. They are especially preferred in hot and humid climates as they are breathable and flexible. The downside to these is that, they offer minimal protection from sharp objects.
Goat skin: Goat skin is to be taken with very high regard. It makes some of the most beautiful, puncture resistant and flexible gloves. You will have to spend a little extra than accustomed to.
Split hide: These gloves are created from cow hide. There are made to handle the most strenuous and dangerous garden work. There are strong but rather inflexible. You can use them when handling hazardous waste or prickly objects.
Synthetic leather: This type of leather is popular. It is usually infused at the palm regions where they offer the needed extra protection. You can find high quality synthetic gardening gloves that are in your price range. Consult with your local hardware store.
- Pig Skin: These can be ranked with the classic. Pig skin has been used for centuries. They are efficient in handling wood work or any heavy handed jobs. The prices are manageable and they are resistant to punctures.
Still on the subject of material, manufacturers use coatings and other synthetic materials like nitrile to put an extra layer of protection. Some companies that produce gloves that handle chemicals, make gloves completely out of some of these synthetic materials. Some of the notable materials include nitrile, lycra, neoprene, spandex and many more.
To wrap this all up, be like a kid in a candy store and pick the best gardening gloves from the available options.
OUR TOP 3 GARDENING GLOVES
BEST FOR ROSES
OUR BEST PICK
TOP 10 GARDENING GLOVES
Leather Gardening Gloves for Women and Men by Exemplary Gardens
**OUR BEST PICK**
- Adjustable Velcro fastener and breathable spandex back allows for a nice, snug fit.
- Genuine goatskin palm and fingertips.
- Beautiful unisex brown color making them ideally suited to men and woman.
- Perfect for keeping hands and fingernails clean and safe.
- Has 100% satisfaction guarantee. If your not happy, send them back for a full refund.
- Comes in different sizes.
The unisex gloves are made of genuine goat skin material that offers extra protection to people with sensitive skin. The palm area of the glove is made out of carefully selected goatskin leather. The spandex back combined with the Velcro fastener makes it possible for your hand to breath and ensures you to remain comfortable and spend hours in the garden comfy and unbothered!
The quality material of the glove prevents sharp thorns and brambles from piercing through allowing a safe gardening experience. This unsex gloves come in an earth brown color that is suitable for both sexes and allows you to garden without worrying about dirt showing on the gloves.
The pair comes in various sizes to cater for the different types of gardeners. It can be used to interchangeably for light, medium or heavy weight tasks and can effectively be used for longer periods. At about £15, we find it moderately priced and the good thing is it comes with 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with these gloves, you can simply return them for a money back full refund.
- They are not 100% thorn proof and one ought to be careful when gardening around thorny shrubs and roses.
Our recommendation - These gloves are great in handling different garden chores from light tasks to heavy tasks such as tackling tough bushes, brambles and tough hacking all inclusive.
This kind of versatility along with the unisex application is why we choose the Leather Gardening Gloves for Women and Men by Exemplary Gardens as our Best Pick.
Bamboo Working Gloves for Women & Men
**BEST BUDGET GLOVES**
- Comfortable and durable hand protection.
- Flexible gloves: fit perfectly around your hand.
- Soft and breathable bamboo material keeps hands cool.
- Exceptional abrasion resistant for longer gardening tasks.
- Come in all sizes.
- No questions asked money back guarantee if you are unhappy.
The Pine Tree Tools Bamboo Working Gloves are considered among the best protective gloves for men and women. This set is a modern bamboo-filled model that is ideal for both gardening and working. These gloves are robust, extra-large-sized and provide exceptional protection without trading off your comfort. You still have options when it comes to sizes including small, medium and large and the price is the same. So you have no excuse from staying away from skin wounds, nails and dirty hands when doing garden chores.
These gloves offer a snug fit and they’ll feel like a second skin on your hands. You don’t have to walk around in some thick and awkward gloves whilst working around your house anymore. The soft and breathable bamboo ingests sweat astoundingly as well as keeps the hands cool and comfortable when being used.
In case you are an environmentalist or only cognizant about nature, you no longer to need to wear leather gloves to protect your hands from injury. The bamboo material used to manufacture these gloves is all-natural. It’s likewise hypoallergenic, kills odour-causing microbes to keep the gloves smelling fresh, and is free of chemicals such as Silicone and Dimethylformamide which are common in regular gardening gloves.
What’s more? Pine tree tools have enough confidence that you’ll love these gardening gloves. As such, they offer 100% money back guarantee for this pair in case you have any doubts on the quality.
- These gloves are a bit thin at the backso some hard objects might brush through.
Our recommendation - These gloves from Pine Tree Tools are perfect for working and gardening chores. They’re comfortable, fit perfect and the fabric is friendly to your hand and environment.
You can get them in any size and if you’re not satisfied, you can take advantage of the money back guarantee. The are very well priced at a little under £10 at the time of our review
Exemplary Gardens Rose Pruning Gloves for Men and Women
**BEST GLOVES FOR ROSES**
- The gloves 100% natural premium goat grain with butterfly soft texture.
- Extended split suede cuff for extra protection.
- Pliable and flexible enough to maintain dexterity for more fragile tasks such as planting young fragile plants.
- Ergonomically designed thumbs with providence of a size guide before purchase.
- These gloves are all natural Goatskin leather gardening gloves with long cowhide gauntlet to protect your arms until the elbow.
These gauntlets by Exemplary Gardens are carefully made to quality standards to fit comfortably. The seams are neat, double stitched and have a butterfly soft texture; the gloves also have a lanolin effect that moisturizes hands and keeps them soft and supple enough to have control of your fingers and grip tools. They come in rich deep colors that are commendable for both men and women.
Allows people with arthritis, sensitive skin and other special conditions to have a comfortable gardening experience
They are available in all size from extra small to extra-large and have an easy fit on both large hands and small as well. They have an agronomical design that allows for people with arthritis, sensitive skin and other special conditions to have a comfortable gardening experience. You also have the option to measure your size on the size guide before purchase.
Perfect for rose pruning and other prickly shrubs
This quality thick leather gloves ensures puncture resistance, prevents cuts keeping your hands and forearms safe from scratches, allowing you to do heavy duty garden jobs including deadheading your roses painlessly, weeding unscathed among all the rose bushesvicious brambles in the garden and prickly shrub branches.
The prices are definitely worth the extra cost of these quality gloves and will definitely leave you smiling after the job is done.
- The gloves are not exactly 100% bramblesproof and one has to be careful when using them on tough bramble all though they seem tough enough for roses. They are also very expensive gloves if you consider the other options available but none offer the same level of protection against thorns.
Our recommendation - These rose pruning gloves are a good deal and have vast benefits from catering for your sensitive skin, to a variety of sizes to the natural environmental benefits.
They can be used comfortably by anyone from huge hands to small ones so your sure to find your size.
We recommend these gloves for large thorny gardens as the leather is protective and does not allow penetration of thorns, the gloves are nice and long with the gauntlet go up to the elbow length.
If they are within your budget, they are one of the best gardening gloves you can get.
Ladies Leather Gardening Gloves - by Viridescent
**FANTASTIC FOR ALL ROUND GARDEN CHORES**
- ?Beautiful design with Velcro wrist straps.
- Made out of genuine leather for extra comfort and protection.
- Excellent versatility.
- Operates on a 100% risk free policy so if your not happy simply return for a full refund.
These quality feminine specific slim-fit gloves are made out of genuine leather which is a tough hard-wearing material and offers unmatched durability and extra protection. The feminine gloves come in small and medium size and in white and pink colors that are bright enough to cheer you up ahead of your gardening tasks.
The gloves are designed for a snug fit; they have an adjustable Velcro fastener that ensures a comfortable fit and enhanced dexterity.
These ladies gardening gloves provide maximum protection against nettles, thorny roses and shrubs, undergrowth and brambles. This amazing pair can also be used for endless household chores owing to its versatility and durability. The leather gloves are easy to clean and maintain as well.
In case the gloves fail to impress to your expectations, the manufacturer offers 100% money back guarantee for your investment on these gloves.
- Even though the gloves are made of leather, you still have to be extra careful especially when dealing with tough thorns. They are also not great to work in wet conditions as the material can become quite uncomfortable if wet.
These high quality gloves by Viridecent are beautifully designed for a ladies fit. They have versatile uses and can be used outside garden chores.
If dissatisfied with the quality, 100% money back can be refunded to your account and thus they are a safe bet.
A great pair of gloves for the ladies at a even better price point.
Town & Country Superior Leather Lined Gardening Gloves
- High grade leather material for extra comfort and protection.
- Ideal for heavy duty gardening tasks
- Inner soft Lining for comfort.
- Well fitted wrist.
- Fully water proof to keep your hands dry.
These Town and Country gardening gloves are made from the finest, superior quality leather that brings a touch of luxury in all your gardening and outdoor works. These hard-wearing and stylish gloves are unique, flexible and soft leather gloves with a uniquely designed thumb that fits extremely well and feels comfortable plus a comfortable elastic wrist.
Additionally, they have a suede palm for enhanced protection and a key stone thumb for a good fit and protection from thorns and brambles.
The leather gloves are a quality brand and it will leave you nothing less than happy and content after purchasing them at a fair market price. Its leather material ensures protection against thorns in the garden.
- The leather gloves come in small sizes and medium sizes only. These gloves have a tight fit and a bit of a struggle to put on.
Our recommendation - These Town and Country leather gloves are not too thick and thus allows for firmer grip of tools on the flip side though, a thorn may punch through the glove. It’s best suited for weekend gardeners and not those who deal with thorny shrubs on a regular basis..
Gold Leaf Dry Touch Gloves - Gents
**Endorsed by The Royal Horticultural Society**
- Endorsed by The Royal Horticultural Society.
- Made of high quality material.
- Water resistant leather gloves.
- Fully lined gloves for enhanced comfort and warmth.
- All-purpose gardening gloves that ooze luxury.
Gold Leaf gloves are endorsed by the 'Royal Horticultural society'
Recognized as "The World's Finest Gardening Gloves", these gardening gloves are the only gloves endorsed by the Royal Horticultural society in the UK.
The brand is well known for its high quality, durability, soft and supple feel and luxurious experience. The Gold Leaf Dry Touch gloves are very comfortable and have been manufactured with softer, extremely flexible cow grain leather, and the gloves give an unmatched level of dexterity.
The leather glove is water resistant which makes them perfect for those looking for a pair of gloves to use in somewhat wet conditions. On top of that, the glove has a full lining all over which ensures extra warmth and comfort.
Perfect for light pruning, weeding and potting
The “dry touch” is suitable for a wide range of gardening works such as light pruning, weeding and potting. The strong gloves are able to puncture thorns and therefore are a safe bet for gardening errands. The luxurious gloves is available in various sizes and is designed for both Ladies and Gents. Although a bit high end, the quality of the gloves is top notch and is definitely an investment worth making.
- Even though its water resistant, it is not advisable to expose the gloves to so much water as they eventually wear out and leak as they are not fully water proof.
Gold Leaf Tough Touch Gloves - Gents
**Endorsed by The Royal Horticultural Society**
- The only gardening gloves endorsed by The Royal Horticultural Society.
- Thorn resistant leather pruning gloves.
- Comfortable and durable.
- Made from valuable deer skin leather.
- Features an extended cuff to maximize protection.
The luxurious Tough Touch Gardening Gloves are made from soft & supple deer skin that elevate garden hand wear to different quality level of, style, comfort and protection. The gloves have been endorsed by the Royal Horticultural Society due to their reputable quality and recognized as the 'World's Finest' in the United Kingdom.
Protection, comfort and warmth are a guarantee when purchasing these gloves, they come with an extended cuff that protect the forearm and ensures the wrist sits comfortably. To top it up, the glove is has an incredibly soft, warm feel that results to pure dexterity. The tough touch as the name suggest is able to handle tough gardening assignments including taking up tough thorny bushes and roses, laying hedges and brambles.
These high quality pieces are available in all sizes, have a snug fit that allows an easy grip and they can be used by both men and women alike. The high end price is justified by the level of quality portrayed by the high quality leather gloves.
- Not advisable to expose the gloves to lots of water as they are subject to wear and tear.
Our recommendation - These Gold Leaf leather gloves are waterproof and durable; we recommend them for gardeners looking for real style and luxury in their gardening experience.
Perfect for rose pruning and a good alternative to the gauntlets by Exemplary Gardens who don't need protection right up the arm.
Bosch F016800292 Gardening Gloves
**Great for simple gardening chores**
- Inclusive of a 2 year warranty for extra peace of mind.
- Snug fit for extra comfort and durability.
- Excellent grip for manual tasks such as carrying logs and mowing
- High quality brand with a reputation of quality products
These Bosch Gardening Gloves are designed to be skin tight and they act as a second skin. The wrist band fits right above the wrist knuckle-bone that gives a maximum movement with zero chaffing. The gloves are fit for light work and general garden gloves to help keep your hands clean and safe when mowing, strimming, digging or planting and other general gardening tasks, involving picking rocks and cuttings, moving a wheelbarrow.
They offer good quality for a fair price. The gloves come in different sizes and you don’t have to worry about adjustments it has a complete snug and have an incredibly comfy fit. They are easy to put on and take off as well. The gloves offer a close fit, has an excellent grip that allows fairly good use of fingers for fiddly stuff.
- The gloves can be sweaty and have restricted movement in them when clenching a fist and can prove uncomfortable for some gardeners. Dealing with prickles during gardening can be a bit of a task, and you might not be able to escape pricks here and there as they don't offer the same level of protection that other gloves might.
Our recommendation - The Bosch Gardening Gloves are strong but has a personalized feel.
The gloves are durable and have an excellent grip so are great for mowing, hedging cutting, strimming and similar tasks.
Town & Country Medium Weed master Plus Protective Gardening Gloves
**BEST WEEDING GLOVES**
- Perfect for weeding beds and borders.
- Has a stretchy breathable construction.
- Lightweight tactile gloves.
- Has a nitrile coated palm for protection against stinging nettles.
- Velcro cuff fastening for fit.
- 100% cotton for extra comfort.
Just as the name suggests, the Town & Country Weed Master gloves are perfect for weeding, DIY works, manual gardening tasks among other delicate gardening jobs, these light and comfortable gloves are a great balance between comfort and protection.
They are manufactured from 100% cotton and feature a protective nitrile coating around the palm and fingers area plus they have an expandable, breathable back. The Velcro fasteners ensure a firm and comfortable fit to keep your hands clean form mud and dust while gardening.
The material is easy to clean and has a rubber material on the fingertips that offers durability. The gloves come in different sizes and a variety of colors that are pleasing to the eye.
- The gloves are not suitable for tackling thorny plants
Our recommendation - These Town & Country Weed Master gloves are light and are more suited for ladies.
The price is unbelievably affordable and one can have a collection for a change of look every time you step out for some gardening. Excellent value and perfect for weeding your beds and borders.
Briers Lady Gardener Gloves
- Has great flexibility and dexterity when gardening.
- Elasticated back.
- Velcro fastening cuff for extra comfort and fit.
- Lightweight design.
- Comes in various sizes from small to large size fit gloves.
The gloves are eye catching and they feel great too! They come in pretty feminine colors that are easy to spot and are highly recommended for females. It has a Velcro fastening cuff for a very comfortable fit that allows sensitivity, though it has a bit of snug at first, they stretch and become really nice fit with time. They are light weight, easy to wear and remove as well.
The pair is durable and can be used by the entire female fraternity in the household for a season or more. The tips of the gloves are leather that makes them durable for a season or more.
The gloves are tough enough to take up most of the gardening tasks such as dead heading, planting and light pruning among other outdoor task. The Velcro cuff fastening enables you to work without worry of dirtying your hands and damage nails with mud, detritus or soil since it provides for the perfect fit.
- The gloves are a bit thin and are not necessarily 100% thorn free. Caution has to be observed when dealing with prickly plants.
Our recommendation - Overall a great pair of gloves for the ladies, gives protection against most gardening jobs and very well priced at under £10.
Which gardening gloves would we recommend
Gardening gloves come in a variety of styles, materials and prices, each meant for different uses. There are so many options to choose from but once you learn the basics from our guide, you’ll always be in a better position to pick the best.
Generally, good gardening gloves should be comfortable, durable and withstand injury-causing objects.
Our 'BEST PICK' Award
The Leather Gardening Gloves for Women and Men by Exemplary Gardens are our top pick. Featuring an attractive unisex brown color, these gloves allow you to handle the dirty jobs without any dirt showing on them.
The leather material is tough and durable while the palm and fingertips have reinforced protection against sharp thorns. Adjustable Velcro fastener ensures you achieve a perfect fit for your hand and maintain dexterity while cultivating, planting or even weeding.
Breathability of these gloves is another reason why you’ll stay comfortable while gardening. They also come in various sizes which mean you can’t miss your ideal match.
Best ladies gardening gloves
The Viridescent Ladies Leather Gardening Gloves would have been our winner if only they were unisex but they’ve made the cut in their specialty; best ladies gardening gloves.
They are comfy and fit snug, with adjustable Velcro fasteners which ensure the gloves fit most female hands. The genuine leather material protects well against shrubs, rose thorns, undergrowth and many other scrapes that may result from working in the garden.
Finally, Viridescent offers a 100% money back guarantee if you are not pleased with the product, which we bet you would.
Best protective gardening gloves
We call them the “best protective gardening gloves” because of the length of protection they offer from your finger tips all the way to the elbow. We are talking of the Exemplary Gardens Rose Prunning Gloves for Men and Women.
Their ergonomic design on the thumbs area makes it easy to grip garden tools and they are flexible enough to maintain agility while doing light motor tasks such as planting.
Featuring 100% natural goat skin, these gloves are puncture resistance and will ensure your hands are safe from scratches. They are recommended for people with arthritis and sensitive skin due to their soft buttery texture.
We hope the products on our list have informed you a lot on quality gardening gloves and perhaps if you feel we missed out on your favorite gloves, feel free to share with us on our comments section.