10 Best Drill Bit Sets and Drill Bits – Professional & Home DIY Sets Reviewed
BEST DRILL BIT SET FOR 2017
When you think of drill bits, you probably picture a particular kind of drill bit. Most people would imagine of the Morse or twist bit which is made for metal drilling but used for all sorts of drilling anyway. And if you happen to find a kit with a single set of drill bits, most likely they’ll be twist bits.
Yet, drill bits are as unique as any kind of industrial tools. Some are designed for cutting large holes through framing studs while others for nipping out miniature buds to countersink a screw. These small accessories are designed specifically for metals, wood, masonry and wood. There’s even a specialised drill – hammer drill – designed to enhance the removal of masonry bits while drilling.
Therefore, buying drill bits requires determining how they are going to be used, the materials/surfaces to be drilled, the kind of drill to be used, and the needed size of holes. Keeping these considerations in mind will help you to shop confidently for drill bits whether online or from a local retailer.
We’ve compiled a list of the best drill bits that you’ll find in our reviews section. Before then, here’s our best drill bit set which we think would be the best choice for most home DIY jobs and Professional use within spending the earth.
Drill Bit Set Buyers Guide
Keeping in mind the kind of job you want to do, the materials you want to drill, the drill you want to use and the size of holes you want to achieve, here is our guide to choosing the best drill bit set.
What type of Drill do you want to use
Most drill bits perfectly fit into standard drills. A standard hand drill and standard power drill are both normally chucked for the same drill bits hence letting users to have one set of bits for each kind of task that needs to be tackled. The SDS hammer drill for masonry is an exception as it uses its own specific drill bits to handle unusual tough work.
- Power Drills: These are standard drills for home and professional works. They usually have many power modes including cordless drills, electric cord power drills and sometimes compressed air power drill which is usually a specialist drill.
- Hammer / SDS Drills - These are specialised power drills designed for masonry work. They drill, cut, and destroy masonry as required. A standard hammer drill features 3 action modes: rotary, rotary with impact and chisel action with rotary stop. The hammer action usually crushes the masonry ahead of the drill bit and the rotary action draws the pieces out of the hole.
- Hand Drills - As much as drill bits are usually seen as power toll accessories, interchangeable drill bits are often used in hand drills. Countersink bits are the most common bits often designed for the hand drill.
- Drill Press - This type of drill is usually mounted permanently in a vertical position over a table where the materials being drilled are securely tightened in a set or vice against a positioning bar, thus allowing for precise positioning of the drill hole (s). The drill mount is made to allow accurate specification of the depth of the drill hole as the drill is lowered alongside a shaft to a specified height.
What type of material is to be drilled?
Your choice of drill bits is determined by the material you plan to drill. The material and shape of the drill bits differ for drill bits designed for drilling wood, masonry, plastic, ceramics, stone and metals. The hardest drill bits usually made with tungsten carbide can handle all sorts of materials.
Drill bit material
Drill bits are made from different materials and each has its own pros and cons. As the material becomes more rigid, it gets more brittle and less able to be sharpened when blunt.
- Low carbon steel: they are usually inexpensive and require sharpening and replacement. They are perfect for drilling wood and soft plastics.
- High carbon steel: designed for wood and metal drilling, these bits may lose cutting edge and temper if overheated.
- High speed steel (HSS): the most preferred and common among production workers. They have the ability to retain temper at very high speeds. They have a wide range of applications including wood, metal, plastics and most ceramics.
- Cobalt Steel Alloy: the most high performing and durable drill bit material but more brittle than HSS. They are great for drilling stainless steel.
- Titanium coating: includes Titanium Nitride, black oxide, Titanium Aluminium Nitride and Titanium Carbon Nitride. They deliver softer bits and high performance and handle the more hard materials than base bit can handle.
- Tungsten Carbide: the toughest and hardest of all bit materials. All-carbide is usually very expensive while carbide-tipped bits are pretty effective and come at reasonable prices. They can virtually handle any material including stone.
The choice of drill bit material depends on the material to be drilled. While a homer user may likely replace a blunt bit, a professional worker may find value re-sharpening a dull bit.
Types of drill bits
Drill bits are shaped in different ways to perform specific tasks. Here are the most common drill bit designs:
- Twist bit: this is the most popular type of bit. It may be used for virtually drilling every kind of material but it’s usually preferred for metal drilling. It works with high speed thus less appropriate for accurate drilling.
- Split point bit: also designed for metal drilling. It looks like a twist bit but it has a split point for maintaining a centre mark in hard materials. The various angles and points are a bit sharper making it more effective for metal drilling.
- Brad point bit: it has a sharp tip with wide outward curves towards the cutting edges. The tip helps to maintain the centre whilst drilling while the isolated cutting edges create a clean hole.
- Auger bit: it bores long, rough holes through wood. It looks like a spiral since it’s made to not only drill through material but clear out the fragments.
- Countersink bit: this bit creates a hole into which you may set a screw head.
- Spade bit: it takes the name of its shape and is designed to drill holes in wood.
- Hole saw bit: this two-part bit includes a circular ring with serrated teeth and a twist bit. The teeth cut extra smooth holes and may be used with hand drills and power equipment.
- Forstner bit: it bores smooth, clean holes in wood. It has a centred point that allows you to accurately place the bit on the workpiece. It is also capable of clearing out chips as you work. It works best with a drill press as it gives you the force and control you need to use.
- Masonry bit: designed to drill into hard materials like brick, concrete and other masonry. They work best with a hammer drill or rotary hammer and bore into masonry more effectively than when used with corded or cordless rotary drill.
- Glass & tile bit: it uses a carbide tip to bore into glass or tile while minimising the chance of cracks and chips.
- Step bit: it’s primarily designed for drilling in thin metal and wood, up to ¼ inch. The stepped structure allows using a single bit to drill holes of varying diameters. The diameter of each step is usually etched into the bit.
Hole size: buy the set or single bits
Most bits come in a set that offers a range of diameters. The set is a good style as it allows users to choose the appropriate bit for a specific job for the moment. The most common range of drill bits start from 1mm to 10mm.
There are also bits that are likely sold as single bits. These include masonry bits, auger drill bits, spade drill bits, countersink bits, tile drill bits, extra long bits and large diameter bits.
TOP 10 BEST DRILL BIT SET REVIEWS
Our Lineup of the 10 best drill bits
Bosch 70 Piece Titanium Drill and Screwdriver Review
**OUR BEST PICK**
- Made for drilling various surfaces including metal, wood and masonry. Not recommended for aluminium.
- Contains a wide range of screw driving bits – A very impressive 70 pieces.
- The drill bits feature titanium nitride coating for enhanced cutting speeds and clean, accurate holes.
- Socket wrenches and adaptor included – ideal for common power tool brands.
- Includes a handy measurement tape and countersink bit.
- Comes in a moulded display carry case with universal magnetic holder for keeping the bits in place.
This is a handy and practical kit equipped to tackle almost any kind of task. The set comes in a robust carry case with universal magnetic holder for keeping the pieces intact even when on the move. Inside the case there are drill bits, screw driver bits, nutsetters, nutsetter adaptor and measurement tape.
Supplied with a range of drill bits for masonry, wood and metal
These bits are particularly designed for masonry, wood and metal. Masonry drill bits diameters range from 4-10mm and wood drill bits have the same range. Metal drill bits diameter range is from 1.5mm to 6.5mm.
The wood drill bits have titanium-nitride coating which increases the cutting speeds and delivers clean, accurate holes in wood.
Includes a selection of screwdriver bits, perfect for a cordless screwdriver
The screwdriver bits are compatible with all types of standard screw heads and the nutsetter is for key-headed screws.
The titanium nitride coating on the metal bits excel through a long lifetime and have high strength thus delivering fast, clean drilling in most metals, hard plastics and plexiglass. Note that these drill bits are not suitable for use on aluminium.
The X-line set includes socket wrenches and adaptor making it perfect for most power tool brands.
- The masonry bits are not the best we have seen, if you intend to drill into brick or stone frequently we would recommend higher quality drill bits such as the Sealey Tungsten Carbide Tipped Masonry 8 piece Drill Bit.
Would we recommend - This set comes brilliantly packaged in a robust carry case with universal magnetic holder, just like you would expect of a tool box from Bosch.
The set contains 70 pieces designed for masonry, wood and metals. The titanium nitride coating is great idea for increasing the cutting speeds and ensuring clean, precise holes on particular workpieces.
The coating also increases the lifespan of the bits and gives them more strength so you can rest assured of quality work.
We found one or two complaints on the masonry bits but we think if they are drilled with normal speed and moderate pressure, they won’t bend or break and would be fine for home use. If you need better masonry bits we would recommend investing investing in the Sealey Tungsten Carbide Tipped Masonry Bits.
The Bosch Titanium Drill and Screwdriver Set is perfect for standard DIY jobs but you got to stick to drilling wood, metal and masonry. At the price of slightly above £20, you get 70 drill bits that are high-quality and long-lasting.
Overall, this set is excellent value for money for a good range of sizes and types. A must for any home diy jobs and less intensive professional work.
Bosch 7 piece 2607010546 Multi-Construction Drill Bits Review
**BEST FOR PROFESSIONALS**
- Features special ground tip along with diamond ground cutting edges which enable multi-purpose drilling.
- Robust drill bit enhanced by hardening technology and diameter optimized brazing to reduce vibration while drilling.
- Reinforced core area for improved resistance and stability when drilling in concrete.
- Made from strong fine grade highly durable carbide material.
- Comes in varying diameters which include 5/5.5/6/6/7/8/10mm. It makes it easy to drill holes of different sizes.
- Made to drill on any surface including concrete, plastic, ceramics, wood, aluminium, brick, eternity, etc.
- Features a centring tip for an accurate drilling start.
Made by Bosch in Germany, this bit set contains 7 drilling pieces with varying diameters. They are well identified in the carry box with the numbers at the bottom so you can’t mistake the pieces when you want to use one or store them.
The diameters are in 5, 5.5, 6, 6, 7, 8 and 10mm. Note that there are two sixes but one is longer and the other one is shorter.
The bits have a centring tip which gives a precise drilling start. Once it starts biting away, we recommend working with a normal speed so the bits can last longer. Running the drills fast heats up the tips and bluntens them down quickly.
Diamond ground cutting edges which promote multi-purpose drilling
These bits feature a special ground tip and diamond ground cutting edges which promote multi-purpose drilling. You can drill on any surface or straight through mixed materials without having to change bits.
You can drill on concrete, brick, masonry, eternit, multi-layer materials, light building materials, tiles and ceramics, plastic, wood, sheet materials, aluminium, and many more.
Bosch manufactures these bits from a strong material (fine grade carbide) which makes them highly durable. They are quite robust thanks to the hardening technology used in manufacturing and diameter optimized brazing which reduces vibration when drilling. The reinforced the core section on these bits improve resistance and increase stability especially when drilling in concrete.
- Bosch claims the bits work great on all surfaces but we found some complaints on ceramic tiles. The bits are also prone to bluntness if drilling is done fast. On tiles we would recommend using specialist tile drill bits.
Would we recommend - The Bosch 2607010546 Multi-Construction Drill Bits includes a set of 7 awesome drilling pieces with varying diameters. Whether you are drilling on wood, plastic, or mixed materials, these bits are sure to get the job done without alternating them.
We like the tough construction of these bits which is an assurance of how durable they are. The centring at the tip makes work easy for you while the reinforced core area increases resistance and stability when drilling.
As much as the manufacturer claims that the bits work on any surface, we think there’s some doubt in that as we found a few complaints regarding some few surfaces. In any case, these are high-quality drill bits that get the job done and for less than you would think. Amazing value for such a high quality set.
Draper 18549 Titanium Nitride Coated HSS Drill Bit Set Review
**BEST BUDGET ALL PURPOSE DRILL BIT SET**
- Comes with 15 drill bits of different diameters ranging from 1.5mm all the way to 10mm.
- The bits feature titanium nitride coating for increased durability.
- Supplied with a soft grip plastic case for convenient handling and storage.
- Drills through most surfaces including aluminium, steel, carbon sheets, plastic, etc.
Draper Tools has been manufacturing high-quality tools in the UK for over 90 years now and the Draper 18549 Drill Bit Set is such an exceptional tool that boasts their vast expertise and experience.
Just when we thought the 7 drill bits in our Bosch model are something to talk of, enters this Draper with more than twice the pieces of Bosch and less than half the price.
The bits vary in diameters as follows; 1.5x2, 2.0x2, 2.5x2, 3.0, 3.2, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 6.0, 8.0 and 10mm. So whether you want to drill the smallest hole possible or somewhat larger, these bits give no excuse. These pieces are all included in a simple plastic case and we were surprised it only weighs 360 grams together with the bits making it quite handy.
These drills are brilliant and go through almost any material whether plastic, aluminium or steel. We recommend going slowly when drilling and not applying too much pressure to prevent breakage.
These bits are quite strong in any case thanks to the titanium nitride coating and they would only break perhaps if not used properly. When making large holes, for instance, it’s advisable to start with a small size then work your way up. Also, try to use the smaller bits on softer surfaces such as carbon sheets and the bigger bits on hard surfaces like metals.
- The coating on these bits tends to come off after a few uses and that raises questions on the advertised durability. There are also a few complaints on the bits getting blunt when drilling on metal but this is usually expected when using cheaper drill bits.
Would we recommend - The Draper 18549 Drilling Bit Set is unbeatable when it comes to the drilling options it offers. The 15 drilling pieces are the major selling point on this set. They can drill through most surfaces although there are a few issues on metal surfaces.
The manufacturer coated the drills with Titanium Nitride to make them last longer but then on the other hand the coating comes off after a few drills.
However, the case is fantastic, solid and handy. This Draper set is perfect for anyone working on a budget but still want a full set of drilling tools without buying very poor quality drill bits. Overall a great affordable choice.
Makita P-44046 Drill and Bit Set Review
**IF YOU ONLY BUY ONE SET - THIS IS THE ONE TO HAVE**
- Complete drill set which includes standard and long series flat bits plus masonry bits.
- Hex, torx and square driver bits included.
- Philips bits, Pozi, flat screw driver bits, tape measure and spirit level included.
- In total, over 216 pieces so there a drill bit for every job possible.
- The set comes in a solid case designed to hold the bits securely.
Let’s talk bits. There are 216 pieces of drill bits in this Makita P-44046 set some of which you might never use but they are quite handy. The good thing is there are lots of duplicates so if any of them becomes blunt you’ll have an immediate solution. Of course, these bits can and will rust so ensure you have a rust prevention spray ready if you plan to buy this set.
These drill bits have been thoroughly tested and used on many surfaces and materials to ensure they’ll serve their drilling purposes. What you’ll precisely find in this set are long series of flat bits, masonry bits, hex, torx, square driver bits, Philips bits, Pozi, flat screw driver bits, spirit level and tape measure. There’s also a T-shaped screwdriver with magnetic tip and 1 bit driver with magnetic tip.
The masonry bits are made of steel with Tungsten Carbide tips brazed on standard practice. This complete set of bits comes in a sturdy case for holding the bits in place.
- The numbers on this set are overwhelming and some pieces might be a nuisance in the long run.
- The clips that hold the two internal panels together are unreliable so take care not to break them.
- No tile drilling bits included.
Would we recommend - Do you love having many drill bits including multiple duplicates?
The Makita P-44046 Drill Bit Set is for you. However, we recommend spraying the complete set with rust prevention to keep them in good shape as there are tools that you might never use.
The bits are made of tough steel so at least you can be somehow sure they won’t break when drilling.
The case is fantastic and perfectly designed to accommodate the 216 pieces. Yet, the clips holding the internal panels are somewhat weak which is a shame.
Still, this Makita is a good drill bit set for home diy use and professional / trade use, specially with the screwdriver and bits included which can come in very handy.
If you looking for a set with nearly every piece you could possibly ever need, this is for you.
This would of won our 'Best Pick' award, however we felt that the large selection would be to big for the majority of people, specially anyone doing home diy jobs.?
If you really like the Makita selection and build quality but 216 pieces is just to big, take a look at the 100 piece kit which we have reviewed further down.?
DEWALT DT71563-QZ COMBINATION DRILL BIT SET 100 PIECE SET Review
**BEST 100 PIECE SET**
- The case features a magnetic bit holder for keeping the bits secure.
- Tough plastic storage case that won’t break easily.
- Includes bits designed for drilling in wood, masonry and metal plus the most common screwdriver sizes.
- Ideal for professional and trade use.
The DEWALT DT71563-QZ COMBINATION DRILL BIT SET is ideal for a variety of applications. It’s a combination of both drill and screwdriver bits that are suitable for drilling in wood, metal and masonry.
The set contains 13xbrad point wood bits in 2x3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 2x5, 5.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5 and 8mm.
There are 12 metal drill bits of sizes 1.5, 2, 2.5, 2x3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6 and 6.5mm. There are 3 masonry bits of sizes 6, 7 and 8mm and 2 hole saw bits of 32mm and 44mm.
The set comes in a tough plastic carry case featuring a magnetic bit holder which holds the bits securely. It also helps in organising the bits. The full set weighs about 1.5kg thus easier to carry around. These bits are made of uncoated steel yet they are still strong and durable. They easily drill on concrete, steel and other materials and deliver smooth, clean holes.
- It lacks larger drill bits such as 10mm.
Would we recommend - This kit comes in a sturdy plastic case that most of you will find easy carrying around because of the reasonable weight. The magnetic bit holder in the case is a great feature for storing the bits and it’s hard to lose any bit.
The wide drill bit selection is also something we liked on this kit and it cuts across masonry drill bits, metal drill bits and brad point wood bits.
Although its standard range is 1.5 to 8mm, we think it would have been extra handy if there were larger diameter sizes. In any case, you pay a fair price for a set of 100 of the most popular pieces.
This is certainly worth considering if you in the trade and all from a trust brand known for its quality. We love this set.?
Makita Power Drill Accessory Set (100 Pieces) Review
**Perfect for DIY enthusiasts**
- 100 Piece Trade set full of all the tools you may need for various jobs.
- Includes 50 screwdriver bits and a variety of Brad points, Hess, Masonry, outdrives and hole saws.
- The bits are suitable for wood, PVC, metal and masonry.
The Makita Power Drill Accessory Set is the perfect tool box for those unexpected kind of jobs. It consists of 100 drill bits including 50 screwdriver bits and a variety of Brad pints, Hess, Masonry, outdrives and hole saws. The number doesn’t sound too little to limit you to some jobs yet it’s not overwhelming like the Makita P-44046 Drill Bit Set.
We love the extensive screwdriver bits selection and they all seem good quality for DIY’ers. Of course, things you buy break at some point but these bits will take a toll before you lose one. If you plan to drill big holes for a kitchen unit or something, you’ll love working the hole saws in this set. Whether you are drilling through wood, PVC, metal or masonry, you are sure to get the job done.
The 100 pieces are securely kept in Makita’s blow moulded case with metal latch and the box weighs 2.1kg complete with the drill bits. This sounds a bit heavy but, of course, the numbers translate to more weight. The box is pretty comprehensive and everything seems easy to remove and replace.
- It doesn’t contain Torx so you might need to buy them as a separate set.
Would we recommend - Yes, it’s okay to start out with a minimalist set, and then it becomes apparent you haven’t got enough accessories when an unexpected job arises.
That’s when a tool box such as the Makita Power Drill Accessory Set with 100 pieces comes in handy.
This power drill set is perfect for DIY enthusiasts as it sets a perfect balance between minimalist sets and the ‘extreme’ sets that you only end up using about 20 pieces.
With this one, you can drill on the most common surfaces including wood, metal, masonry and PVC.
Terratek 170pc HSS Drill Bit Set, 1mm – 10mm Titanium Coated Drill Set Review
**BEST AFFORDABLE OPTION FOR TRADE**
- Comprehensive drill bit set; contains 170 pieces with a fantastic range of popular drill bit sizes.
- Tough drill bits; manufactured using high speed steel to increase durability.
- Supplied with a tough storage case for organised storage of the set.
- Comes with 2-year guarantee for your piece of mind.
This complete set contains 170 pieces with an array of popular drill bit sizes designed to handle different jobs. The set includes 40 masonry, 5 (3 & 4mm), 10 (5 & 6mm), and 5 (8 & 10mm) bits. There are also 40 pieces dedicated to drilling wood and they are as follows; 5 (3 & 4mm), 10 (5 & 6mm) and 5 (8 & 10mm). Then lastly are the 90 pieces for Titanium HSS steel that come in 15 (1, 1.5 & 2mm), 10 (3, 4 & 6mm), 3 (8mm) and 2 (10mm).
These bits are built tough using high speed steel to increase their durability. The carry case is also made of tough steel and it allows you to organise the drill bits as per the listing in the interior. This tough construction is perhaps why the manufacturer gives a 2-year guarantee on the 170pc drill bit set. The whole package weighs 3.5kg and if you don’t mind the weight, then you’ll be happy with this set. Plus, the bits don’t move around when you are carrying the box.
- The masonry bits have been found to be soft so they are likely to bend or snap with some amount of pressure.
Would we recommend - This 170 pc Drill Bit Set is designed for working on masonry, wood and metal. So if you are looking for a set for any of those specialties, this Terratek will be a great option. The drill bits are good quality and they come at a fair price.
The storage box is also solid although there have been some complaints on it rusting after some time.
Perhaps if that happens within two years since the day of purchase, then you can get back to the manufacturer. But, we do trust the Terratek brand and hope this set can serve you for years.
This is a great choice if you want a large selection of drill bits without all the fancy pieces you will probably never use.?
BLACK+DECKER Accessory Set in Carry Case - 35 Piece Review
** GREAT FOR HOME DIY **
- The set contains a good range of drill, screwdriver bits and counter sinks.
- It comes in a handy carry case for keeping the bits secure.
- The kit is pretty lightweight – 610g.
A must have for all DIY’ers and trade workers is the BLACK+DECKER Accessory Set in Carry Case. It contains 35 pieces including screwdriver bits, drill and counter sinks. These bits are fine for occasional use and they easily find a good range of screw heads.
The bits come in smaller sizes so they are useful for small holes in masonry, wood and metal along with pilot holes. We find it a handy set with everything you need for small drilling jobs in the house but not for professional use. The set comes in a practical carry case for holding the bits secure. The complete item is pretty lightweight at only 610g.
This set precisely contains: 7xtitanium metal drill bits ranging from 1.5 to 5 with 0.5 increments; 8 steel drill bits in sizes 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8mm; 6 3-point drivers in sizes 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8mm; 10 x 25mm screw bits; 1 magnetic bit holder and 1 screwing stopper.
- The bits are packed in quite tight and this makes pulling the sharp edged bits out a bit tricky.
Would we recommend - Home DIY’ers can find great value in this mid range drill bits best quality set.
There are 35 pieces well organised in a handy carry case which is also super lightweight. It’s perfect for drilling in masonry, wood and metal.
We don’t recommend it for professional work as it’s somehow lacking in lower end and high end drill bit sizes. Nonetheless, for a decent price you get useful range of screwdriver bits and drills that can be stored away.
Mohoo 50PCS 1/1.5/2/2.5/3mm HSS Shank Drill Bit Set Review
** GREAT BUDGET DRILL BITS FOR HOME USE **
- The drill bits are made from high speed steel material with titanium coating.
- Features HSS Drill Bit Set for plastic, wood, aluminium, steel and cooper.
- It’s perfect for DIY, home and general building and engineering works.
- Drill bits come in different sizes for drilling different sizes of holes; 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3.0mm.
This set features 50 pieces made from top quality high speed steel material with titanium coating on the surface. As such, they are one of the toughest drill bits available. The high speed steel is known for extra durability while the titanium coating has several benefits on the surface of the drills.
First, it increases the surface hardness of the drill bits thus improving the quality of the surface and machining accuracy. This helps in reducing the friction coefficient while the piece is processing. Second, the titanium coating improves wear resistance and temperature resistance thus increasing the speed of processing for high-speed processing.
The pieces come in varying sizes of 1mm (10 pcs), 1.5mm (10pcs), 2mm (10 pcs), 2.5mm (10pcs) and 3.0mm (10pcs). These duplicates are important in case you lose a piece while at work or if any other piece breaks. Yet, these pieces are built tough to resist wear and they have a powerful drilling ability. They are recommended for drilling through plastic, wood, cooper, aluminium and steel. The extreme hardness of these materials makes grinding pretty easy and delivers smooth drilling work without leaving burr.
- The set is lacking on the thicker end as the 3.0mm is the largest diameter so you can’t drill larger than that.
- The picture on Amazon.uk is also misleading as it states 100 pieces yet the package contains 50 HSS drill bits, this is obviously a mistake but something to be a where of.
Would we recommend - The Mohoo 50PCS HSS Shank Drill Bit Set is a great set that comes at an amazingly great price. You don’t find 50 tough HSS drill bits at less than £10 every day. And the manufacturer made sure the pieces work on different surfaces including plastic, wood, cooper, aluminium and steel. So you don’t have to spend a fortune for a great set of drill bits.
We find them a bit lacking on the thicker end so they are better suited for ‘small’ jobs. Indeed, they are small but hard its great there are loads of them just in case you break some.
If you want to buy online, be careful about the advertising on Amazon as the first image says 100pcs yet the set contains only 50 pieces. Otherwise, if you working on a tight budget and need some urgent jobs done, this set is for you.
Sealey AK4702 Metric Cobalt Drill Bit Set (25 Pieces) Review
**EXCEPTIONAL QUALITY FOR TRADE**
- The drill bits are made of high speed steel with 5% Cobalt making them perfect for drilling harder materials.
- They feature a split tip which enables bits to bite quickly through workpiece thus eliminating the need for centre mark.
- The drills can be re-sharpened yet their performance won’t be affected.
- The set comes in a metal storage case and the interior is well partitioned for keeping every bit in its place.
The Sealey AK4702 contains 25 pieces with a drill range of 1mm to 13mm of 0.5mm increments. This is quite a great selection as most sets only start from 1.5mm and/or go up to 10mm. They come nicely packed in a colour card box but the metal red tin case photo on Amazon is not as awesome as it looks. However, the case is pretty robust. Together with the drill bits inside, the set weighs 1.4kg which is just moderate thus can be carried easily.
The bits are made high speed steel with 5% cobalt which makes them extra tough for drilling those extra hard materials. Whether you want to drill holes through thick galvanized steel or thick aluminium, these bits will bite through smoothly and come out as sharp as they went in. The good thing is you can re-sharpen the bits if need be without even affecting their performance. These bits have a split tip which enables them to bite through workpiece quickly so there’s no need for centre marking.
- The bits are not as strong as advertised as there are a few complaints on the bits snapping while drilling on thick materials. The black tray holders are poor quality and have some bad fitting.
Would we recommend - The Sealey AK4702 is a brilliant set with a wide selection ranging from 1mm to 13mm. The split tip is a great feature as it reduces the need for a centre mark and the option of re-sharpening the drill bits ensures you have high-performing bits throughout.
Made from high speed steel plus 5 percent cobalt, the bits are sure to last long if worked properly. These bits are perfect for drilling harder surfaces but we found a few complaints about them snapping on the job. The tray holders also have poor fitting but the tray itself is robust.
If you have a wide range of drill jobs, we recommend the Sealey AK4702 for the unique selection it offers in set of 25 pieces.
Bosch 2607010539 135 mm HSS-TiN Drill Bits (13-Piece) Review
**BEST FOR DRILLING STEEL**
- Comprises of 13 drill bits made of high speed steel with titanium coating.
- Lightweight set; weighs 100 grams together with the drill bits.
- The set comes in a robust storage case.
- The bits are extremely strong and sharp for efficient drilling.
The Bosch 2607010539 is a set of 13 drill bits made of high speed steel with titanium coating for increased durability. These bits are very sturdy and sharp and make drilling holes into metal an easy task. They drill clean and accurate holes of different sizes. The diameters vary from 1.5mm to 6.5mm with 0.5mm increments.
Even with the 13 pieces, this set is super lightweight weighing just 100 grams. DIY’ers doing jobs that take a lot of time can be happy carrying this set in their work outfits. The case itself is robust and the interior panels are well fitted and numbered for keeping every bit exactly where it’s supposed to be. It makes it easy when getting a specific piece out and returning the piece into place. The rubber around the case is also a brilliant idea.
On usage, these drill bits are perfect for drilling metal such as steel. Even with regular use, they’ll still be good, strong and sharp, as they came out of the box. Yes there are cheaper brands than this Bosch version, but this Bosch offers better value due to the longevity of these drill bits.
- The smaller drill bits tend to break when drilling metal. You’ll be better off using the larger sizes.
Would we recommend - This set is ideal for drilling steel and we think it can work on other materials too such as too. The 13 pieces ranging from 1.5 to 6.5 are perfect for tackling small to medium drill jobs. The pieces are quite sturdy but we recommend using only the larger bits for drilling harder materials as the small ones might break.
The price of over £50 for 13 only pieces seems an overstatement keeping in mind that there are cheaper models that offer more pieces, but these Bosch drill bits are top quality and they fit that bill. You’ll be sure you have strong, sharp and long-lasting drill bits.
Finals thoughts and conclusion
Drill bits are made of a wide range of materials that make them suitable for drilling different materials. They are made in diverse shapes to accomplish various tasks. The best drill bits are offered in sets so you can select the best size at the moment of use. But, you can also buy individuals bits if need be, let’s say you need an extra large bit and it’s not available in your set.
Generally, when looking for drill bits, consider the materials you want to drill, the drill you want to use, and the hole sizes you want to create. We trust our guide will help you find the best drill bits for your intended job.
Our Best Pick
The Bosch Titanium Drill and Screwdriver Set, 70 Pieces is our best drill bit set overall. First, we think the 70 pieces of drill bits are just perfect. They are not too little for you to start thinking of buying a new set if your break a few bits, yet not too many that some bits might never be used.
We love the robust carry case and the magnetic universal holder is a plus feature. The bits feature titanium nitride coating that not only increases the cutting speeds but also ensures smooth, accurate holes on various workpieces. The coating also makes them last long.
The drill bits in this set are especially designed for drilling wood, metal and masonry. So, we think it’s great for both DIY jobs and some professional drill works. This set also comes at an amazing price so they offer greater value compared to even most other sets with over 100 pieces.
Best Drill Bit Set for DIY
Makita Power Drill Accessory Set
For DIY’ers, we think Makita Power Drill Accessory Set (100 Pieces) is the perfect tool box for you.
We only recommend for home use and not professional drill works. The 100 pieces of varying diameter sizes are just what you need for day to day unexpected tasks.
You get drill bits for drilling on wood, metal, masonry and PVC at a reasonable price.
Best Drill Bits For Trade
Sealey AK4702 Metric Cobalt Drill Bit Set
Most drill bits are often lacking on one side, either in tiny diameters or a bit larger diameters. So, we picked the Sealey AK4702 Metric Cobalt Drill Bit Set (25 Pieces) as our best drill bit set with a better range.
They are only 25 pieces but they range from 1mm to 13mm as compared most other models that go up to 10mm on the higher side. They are split tip type so there’s no need for centre marking the workpiece. The option for re-sharpening is also an awesome feature. The Sealey AK4702 is the perfect solution when a wide range of hole sizes are needed.